The Disaster Artist

Just got out of a tech screening. Technically shouldn’t be saying anything but I’ll do it. Be big Hollywood AMA.

Non-spoiler review: while it takes a lot of liberties with the book’s structure, fitting it into a more traditional Hollywood story template, it maintains both the humanity and downright weirdness that made the book so damn charming in the first place.

So Franco actually did something that isn't terrible? Wow, bravo.

I very much enjoyed it

Oscar chances?

Can I watch this without seeing the room?

I guess you can but really it's good to have some better context just to understand it perfectly.

I’m as shocked as you are.

I’d say they’re actually pretty high. James Franco fucking kills it as Tommy, it’s not just a LOL DUDE ACCENT thing. He actually puts all of Tommy’s weird mannerisms and charm and shit in there, and it’s something that’s almost compulsive to watch.

It’d be a LOT better if you did, but it’s not really necessary I guess.

This story must be told.

Bluray bonus feature?

You have to watch the room regardless of anything. Its mandatory viewing

What the fuck happened with Curse Of The Zodiac?

Does it actually have an element of humanity in it or is it just 90 minutes of "AHAHAHA LOOK AT THIS MORON WISSEAU LOOK HOW CRAZY HE IS AND HOW BAD HE IS AT EVERYTHING HAHHA"?

When will Niel Breen get the recognition he deserve?

What do you mean? It's on par with Room and Birdemic. It has to be seen to be believed.

Don talk bout me naht to yer classss, not to annybahdy

Hating Franco is meme

It pokes fun at him, but it never feels unnatural. Tommy’s a weird fuck but the movie never tries to put a spotlight on it. You can see he’s got passion, he’s excited, he’s proud of what he made and what he could accomplish.

That sounds good. Thanks.

I dun care a bow deez people Greg, juss do scene

Side note, They got the Purple shitting stall and “No one in Hollywood will give you water” in there so I’m happy.

A real human breen.

How much screentime does /our guy/ Nathan get?

More than I was expecting, but sadly not nearly enough.

You get to see some awkwardness between him and Zac Efron though, which is great.

Not really. Everything he's made (prior to this, apparently) has been legitimate garbage.

even if this is great it frustrates me that Franco as Wiseau is still pretty handsome and his brother isn't half the Adonis greg sestero is. from reading the book I gathered that an important part of their weird relationship was how being around Sestero both fed and alleviated Wiseau's insecurities

One of the best parts of the book was the extended visit to Tommy's past, in France and such. How do they cover that in the film? It was such a great and sad sequence, it seems like a really big mistake to just cut it out, even though plot and time wise it's a pretty obvious segment to remove.

Do they cover it at all or just allude to it in a conversation?

Also I was really, really against this because of how awful Franco is as a writer and director, and I frankly didn't think he could pull off Tommy. I thought this material was way above his pay grade (not that that has stopped him in the past), but the trailers and reviews have 90% convinced me. Is this good marketing or is it a genuinely (at least decent) good film?

Yeah, not even gonna lie Dave Franco can really only play Dave Franco it seems.

He’s good in this, them being brothers definitely sells it, but you have to wonder what another actor would have been like.

>"Experience this quirky new black comedy, it's a riot"

Did anyone actually believe Tommy's attempt at revisionist history?

What's Tommy's cameo?

They didn’t do the flashback scene, sadly. Really, all the flashbacks from the book are cut out, only alluded to in conversation.

Oh, and The Palm scene’s not in there. It’s a fucking shame honestly.

That’s the emotional payoff of the movie. Not even joking.

That sucks. But I figured as much. Both time and cost wise, it's the most obvious part to cut, although it was such an integral and important part of the book. Gave you a real sense of how sad Tommy's life is/was.

127 Hours?

I'm really looking forward to this

Hi doggy

Disaster Artist

didn't know there was a Zack Snyder biopic

How was my Briefu in it?

Did they still drive to the scene where James Dean died? Or talk about Tommy's near death experience?

Why he didn't shave his moustache? Like, there's no reason not to.
This is Wesley Snipes' "he just didn't" levels of douchebaggery

Moustache was for another film. Studio wouldn't let him cut it. Told Warner Brother's they could either wait or CGI it.

>he doesn't know

I hope this movie will get an Oscar simply so Tommy Wisseau could be the one to hold it

Timestamp your ticket stub

The audiobook is unironically a masterpiece (I loved the original name for Franco's project: "The Masterpiece"), there's this balance between the complex and touching humanity of the characters and the magic-surrealism of the plot that's deeply compelling.

Does the movie achieve this?

Is Tommy the 21st century Edward Woodward?

What else is in the adapted screenplay category for this year? Capeshit?

>Edward Woodward
fuck autiocorrect

This, I might cry if this happens.

I never knew how much I wanted this. Make this happen kikewood

Knock that shit off.

Do... do we get softcore sex scenes with Franco?
Uh. Asking for a friend.

more like the 21st century Berenstain

do we have to stop the entire board for a week for this fucking mustache

it's the status quo when a bad movie acquires meme status

tom cruise said no

Moreso Paramount being dicks tho, not Cavill.

>lol dude Patton Oswald told this story
>that fat fuck wouldn't lie
>not like he did about his wife

CAN'T WAKE UP

Hi Wesley

Hi, Patton too chicken shit to say anything to my face on set you wait 10 years on a podcast typical hows the new wife?

omegaLUL

Watched it on a festival month ago, it's really great. Laughed all through the movie.

Jesus Christ do you get alerts or some shit?

When's this supposed to release?

Looking forward to all the roomposting that'll be going on here once the movie drops in theatres

You can watch it with rifftrax on if it's too much for you.

That picture was made by an idiot. The Room wasn't some Asylum garbage made to look bad on purpose. Fuck you.

When Max Landis goes back to Milwaukee.

Call me by your name is going to win Best Adapted Screenplay

It's not completely dishonest according to "The Disaster Artist". Tommy insisted on keeping some scenes despite them being completely irrelevant because he thought they were fun and showcased his muscles.

Looks good, but that means I have to watch the room right?

You should watch The Room anyway, it is essential Sup Forumscore.