Finally give in and spent past couple of months marathoning Miyazaki movies

>finally give in and spent past couple of months marathoning Miyazaki movies
>none of them were as good as his first
Really makes you think. It's easily the most authentic and unique film he made. Almost every other movie retread the same themes to lesser effect. Miyazaki really only makes two kinds of movies: Action Adventure films about the power of spirits/nature or slice of life films about non-specific relationship values that are really only entertaining to children and Japanese people who are so socially blinded that they find them enlightening. Also holy shit that soundtrack. Everything that followed was generic orchestra-shit, but this had synth and rock undertones. The fucking keyboards, and a sitar, I think? Outstanding.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ffl4HDp-_S4
youtu.be/FOB56yEqkx4
youtu.be/ad1bBoiPkQc
nhentai.net/g/88107/
nhentai.net/g/91041/
nhentai.net/g/101843/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Princess Mononoke is easily the best of his movies though Kiki's Delivery Service the most enjoyable and the one I'll watch the most often.

thats bullshit

Nausicaa is obviously his opus magnus followed by castle in the sky.

They are the only ones with good coherent world-building that doesn make the environmentalist message feel tacked on.

I feel both happy and sad watching Castle In The Sky. Is that normal?

This. Castle in the Sky was a close second for me, since it's similar to Nausicaa while still having enough unique elements. Plus I love the idea of ancient advanced civilizations living in flying paradises.

I remember when Mononoke came out and people were losing their minds over how amazing it was, but having seen it after seeing Nausicaa, it's really just the same basic concept, only more bloated and slow-moving, with a far less interesting setting and characters, and again, a soundtrack that is not nearly as memorable.

And his best "fluff/feelgood"movie is easily Porco Rosso. Nothing else can compete. Kiki is super boring, and Spirited Away is possibly the most overrated movie in the history of the world. Only good part is the animation/design. I'm baffled when western directors like Brad Bird and the rest of the Disney/Pixar greats talk about Spirited Away like it's some kind of masterpiece, when they've created things like the Iron Giant that make most Miyazaki films seem like a joke in comparison. It's like hearing DaVinci claim the greatest piece of art he ever saw was a doodle of a purple chicken drawn on a cocktail napkin.

Nausicaa is probably the most "meh" of the Miyazaki films in my opinion. The source material is better. It's quite stubbornly preachy. It doesn't offer very much beyond an aesthetic level. By the way, it was NOT the first feature film that he directed. You may think I'm splitting hairs, but Nausicaa isn't actually a Ghibli film either.

What do you expect? They're children's movies. You're doing the Japanese equivalent of marathoning Disney stuff. Theater isn't as big with adult men in Japan, you're more likely to see your demographic in OVA from when video rental was a thing and late night television.

Has anyone here actually seen this? I hear it's dogshit.

I love Nausicaa but this is spot on. The setting and situation are excellent, but I have problems with the characters (actually with he protagonist but is not a minor thing).
For me, Mononoke > Nausicaa.
Spirited Away and the Castle are excellent, but is true that arguably Porco Rosso is more mature in a way.

OP here. I've been trying to torrent it for the past few days, but seeds are sparse. I've got like 60% of it.

I'm really interested to see it, because while I dislike the idea of shit being heavily altered, I want to see just how much they changed it.

>They're children's movies.
Really? Given the way people always seem to praise them, you wouldn't think so. They are often unironically labeled as some of the greatest films ever created. Nobody says that about Disney stuff. Pixar, but not standard Disney.

I would watch the ever-loving shit of a post-apocalyptic sword and sorcery B-movie faithful to this poster.

>It's quite stubbornly preachy.
Also, the script is terrible. Characters will not shut the fuck up and will explain shit you just saw a second ago. How is Nausicaa unique? Characters are basic archetypes, predictable and so lifeless. Miyazaki can't write characters or stories to save his life.

>generic orchestra-shit

I genuinely hope you get cancer

Hi, John Williams.

>Characters will not shut the fuck up and will explain shit you just saw a second ago
Literally every anime ever. Most of this is fixed in the dub though, where the voice directors realize that kind of dialogue structure is obnoxious to western audiences.

Same here. It's my favorite one, I love the theme as well.

It isn't great. It was however one of my favorite movies as a child. I saw the uncut version a few years later and realized how much better it was. I still have the original VHS cut release you pictured there in a box somewhere in my shed. Not really worth watching though. Skip it unless you just REALLY REALLY need to see it for some reason.

>Literally every anime ever
Most anime being absolute garbage is definitely not related. Throwing other anime under the bus doesn't stop Nausicaa from being completely uninteresting. The cliches, the obnoxious preachiness, and terrible characters are still present in the dub. Miyazaki shows far more tact and imagination as a writer and director in something like Totoro that OP was apparently too dumb for despite his condescension.

People praise them because they are often times the only anime works they have seen. It's also the reason Satoshi Kon is so popular. It's westerners approaching a medium of primarily television and OVA releases via film even though film comprises

N-no
Also he gave his best for TFA, he just did not have time

Tried to use one of those auto-inbetween filter players on this. Did okay in certain scenes, but the animation is so primitive and low-frame rate that it couldn't do much for it. It was clearly made on a very tight budget.

It wold be great if he could oversee some kind of digital remastering/reanimating process.
But the likelihood is that it will get some big budget Hollywood live action treatment once he dies.

>Most of this is fixed in the dub though

This is bullshit.

>like the Iron Giant that make most Miyazaki films seem like a joke in comparison. It's like hearing DaVinci claim the greatest piece of art he ever saw was a doodle of a purple chicken drawn on a cocktail napkin.

Come on now.

Are you saying that Iron Giant isn't that good? Or that Miyazako movies aren't that bad? I will fight you on both accounts.

Any of his slice of life shit can fuck right off.
That's right I don't like Porco Rosso

And Nausicaa isn't even as good as the comic. He never should have bothered with moving pictures.

>none of them were as good as his first

You mean this?

>love Porco Rosso but remember it's THE pedo movie

What did you mean by this?

Castle in the Sky is the movie that has a whole airship crew lusting over some 12 year old girl.

Generally Spirited Away is recognised as his Magnum Opus, though that doesn't necessarily mean it's his best.

In any case, Lupin III Castle of Cagliostro was never bested.

>I'm baffled when western directors talk about Spirited Away like it's some kind of masterpiece

Well then maybe you're the one with the problem. How does The Iron Giant make Spirited Away seem like a joke in comparison?

I'll never understand the love for this film or any of his others. fucking mary sue bullshit

Just a reminder that Nausicaa English dub features Admiral Adama AND Captain Picard... You can't beat that

Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are his best works. I saw many of his earlier movies, like Nausica, Castle in the Sky, Porco Roso, Kiki's and Totoro, most were merely passable but some were fucking boring. Nausica and Castle are perfect cures for insomnia.

Whisper of the Heart> Porco Rosso> spirited away> totoro> Mononoke> the rest in no particular order

Yeah nah Totoro and Kiki are both legitimate masterpieces, Castle of Cagliostro is one of the greatest comic to screen adaptations ever, and The Wind Rises is easily one of the best biopics ever.

Nausicaa has an horrible protagonist but the rest is either likable or just interesting.
Castle in the Sky.. cannot understand the hate. Has a good flow and the exploration moments have very a nice atmosphere, nice immersion. Very enjoyable.

The town is actually modeled after the Swedish towns of Stockholm and Visby.

I have this VHS, I bought it used. It's just the English dub of Nausicaa with minor edits. Why are you guys talking about it like it's an entire different movie?

Official Ghibli/Miyazaki Top 5:
>1. Nausicaa
>2. Mononoke
>3. Only Yesterday
>4. Porco Rosso
>5. Whisper of the Heart

> Iron Giant that make most Miyazaki films seem like a joke in comparison
Legitimately interested to hear your play by play on how Iron Giant makes them look like jokes. It's pretty good, I'll grant you that, beats some Miyazaki films if you're that kind of person, but making them look like jokes?
I really want to hear this.

idk I always preferred the seaside Adriatic sea town in porco rosso. damn, imagine being able to land your seaplane to your local jazz cafe

Jesus Christ I really hope you pirate movies and your shit tastes have zero influence on the world's artistic output.

Now read the manga.

She killed millions.

w-what?

Howls > Porko > Mononoke > Spirited Away

In my humble, weeb opinion

Dissing the score in Valley of the Wind is beyond pedestrian, it's disgusting.

OP is confirmed to be a shitter. How could one be so backwards

How? Porco is only interested in Gina. And anyone looking at Fio is immediately rejected or frowned at.

It's fine. the voice acting is fairly good and the cut scenes improve the pacing. That's true of most dubbed gozilla movies as well.

>Dissing the score in Valley of the Wind is beyond pedestrian, it's disgusting.
OP actually praised it, he was dissing scores of later Ghibli movies

>Also holy shit that soundtrack. Everything that followed was generic orchestra-shit, but this had synth and rock undertones. The fucking keyboards, and a sitar, I think? Outstanding.

The manga is wonderful, it's the most original post-apocalyptic setting I know of and Nausicaa's character becomes deeper than in the movie, especially at the end.

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya narrowly beats out PR to me in the feel good department for me because of how calming the moon departure scene is.

I highly recommend Future Boy Conan!!

His tv series b4 his films!!

I'm an idiot...

Worldbuilding. Story. All present

The key is to watch good anime films like Genocyber and MD Geist.

youtu.be/ffl4HDp-_S4
youtu.be/FOB56yEqkx4
youtu.be/ad1bBoiPkQc

KINO

What makes Nausicca(the character)good?

Her femininity isn't totally despised in the way that a lot of 'strong' female characters are. She is capable of great strength and even violence (when she takes down those knights early on) while also being rational and nurturing when necessary.

>Miyazaki collection on U.S. amazon has been hovering around $200 for months
>Mfw waiting for the price to drop a bit

fuck it I might just pull the trigger anyway

I think Ponyo is an underrated and very sweet film.

nhentai.net/g/88107/
nhentai.net/g/91041/
nhentai.net/g/101843/

All the praise for Spirited Away, I suspect, was a calculated move by Disney to promote Ghibli when Miyazaki came out of retirement. They wanted his work as artistic credibility as they themselves stepped out of 2D animation. For a while I’m sure they considered buying them out entirely.

So do I.