>$587 Million at the box office

Was it a success?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j4katc0uB0A
youtube.com/watch?v=D3pF9owYlRI
youtu.be/S6DOxuucAEk?t=9
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What was the budget?
I'm assuming it was less than 100 mil, so yes it's a success.

>Finding Dory
>Worldwide: $1,028,238,062

>Secret Life of Pets
>Worldwide: $875,457,937

>Zootopia
>= Worldwide: $1,023,784,195

More like Flopana.

Budget was 150 Million

More than it deserves.

It's all relative. They can't all be mega successes. It really depends on what Disney projected for moana. If they were expecting Frozen numbers then it was a failure.

Taken out of context though, $587 million on a $150 million budget can't exactly be called a failure. And it only takes a couple small-medium wins to add up to one big one. I'd imagine Disney is fine with the results

They should have held off until Spring or Summer 2017, would have had a better chance at a bigger tally being the only non-Pixar Disney film in the year instead of having to share the year with Zootopia

It probably would have done better, but they forgot to CONSIDER THE COCONUT

It was. Not a big success, but it made money. Too bad it didn't become more popular. Moana is such a cute, fit, little brown QT and she deserves way more 34 than she got.

Zootopia got released in freaking March, a full eight months before Moana did, I really don't think that Zootopia had any real impact on it.

Success? Yes, it made money, but it's a BVS success or Blair Witch remake success. It made it's money back and then quite a bit besides, but it wasn't what they were hoping for. Currently it's neck and neck with Tangled though.

>got destroyed by the Furry Movie on the Oscars

>Didn't not even got nominated on the Japanese Awards.

>Shin Godzilla won 7 awards including BEST MOVIE!!

Shin Gojira is fun, fuck you!

I KNOW KID, wink......

Is that a reference to something?
Are... are you going to teleport behind me, kill me and say that it wasnt personnel?

of course. Presumably the budget will be listed as under 200 million like recent Disney films, so it did fine. I don't think it'd be fair to compare it to Zootopia's success, which I feel had a more diverse appeal.

the big cgi films after Tangled are all around 150-165 million as its listed budget

Shamed this was mega success as Zootopia was, should have waited til next year to build up more hype and marketing. Still glad it did well with audiences and critics.

>Can we go see Moana?
>Nah we've already seen our Disney movie for the year

Yeah, Zootopia probably had nothing to do with lack of hype over Moana. I'd say it had more to do with when it came out, people aren't really going to be in the mood to see a movie in a warm/tropical setting during the Christmas season.

I gave this a good thought, and what sets this apart from the vast majority of Disney movies is the film barely had a villain in it. The crab's in there for 10 minutes and the Lava Woman even less than that. A charismatic villain that's fun to hate is a big part of the formula. And then there's the absence of the "Prince", Maui is too big, manly, gruff and buff to appeal to little girls, to their moms maybe.

The plot and setting are also sparse and the cast is very small. A lot of it is just Moana, Maui and a dumb chicken in the middle of the ocean.

The animation is great, but the general public tends to value story more, and Moana didn't have as much to offer in that regard.

The Oscars aren't shiny enough anyways!

I thought about it, but that's not something special in a Disney movie. A lot of them have even more sparse environments and similarly small casts.

>Sing
>Budget: $75 million
>Worldwide: $566 million

>Moana
>Budget: $150 million
>Worldwide: $587 Million

>Zootopia
>Budget:$150 million
>Box Office: 1.024 billion

According to most Mouseketeers and their "logic" it shouldn't be, as only movies which make over $1 billion dollars are a success, hence why Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad were flops.

But it's a Disney movie so of course it's a success.

There's a huge difference in budget/expectations for BvS compared to a movie like Moana.

>Zootopia
>For each 1 million spent they earned 6.8 million

>Sign
>For each 1 million spent they earned 7.6 million.

Case and point.

Especially as Frozen, Zootopia, and Finding Dory all made over a billion, shouldn't the expection on Moana be the same?

Moana wasn't marketed nearly as much as any of those, and no one really had that high of expectations for Zootopia.

Really?

That seems kind of low.

>people went to see "that shitty karaoke show your granny watches:the cartoon"
WTF is wrong with people?

I doubt Disney were planning on their "ethnic" princess movie being a tentpole for them.

>all made over a billion,
This is the new standard for success
Does anyone understand how crazy that is?

>Moana wasn't marketed nearly as much as any of those,

Moana was marketed way more than Zootopia was.

Not even close. I was seeing ads for that sloth scene all the fucking time.

>that sloth scene
People in the theater laughed like they were fucking high during that scene, I missed half the dialogue. It's moderately funny, but for fucks sake — if you're here, you must have seen it in a trailer already, right?

>Afro circus!

Personally I almost never saw Moana being advertised, but I saw a decent amount of Zootopia. Zoo also had way better word of mouth going on afterward.

That's because Moana wasn't very good :^)

Zootopia is MORE culturally "relevant" what with the United States being a liberal shit house and of course Zootopia was propaganda for that shit. I do wonder what is going to happen to Disney when the backlash happens.

They cannot pretend that "No fellas! The Disney Company has NEVER been anti-male and pro-women! We do not make Liberal propaganda!" except that their history shows otherwise for decades.

>just Moana, Maui and a dumb chicken in the middle of the ocean
The ocean was the best thing about the movie.

The lack of PIGLET killed it though.

The animation was great, and I liked a couple of the songs, but the plot was a bit slow and predictable in my opinion.

More Tamatoa would have been nice.

>$587 Million at the box office

>Was it a success?

No, not by Disney standards.

$150 million production budget, atleast $50-100 million in promotion budget

Made $246 million box office domestic, of which Disney gets ~60%, the rest goes to the theatres.

$340 million overseas, of which Disney gets ~25-30%

So approximate cost ~220 million
Made ~160 million domestic and ~100 million overseas

Add profits from merchandising (not sure how popular Moana toys etc are though), Disney makes a profit but nothing to brag about.

In other words, there won't be a Moana 2, meanwhile we have Frozen 2 and Incredibles 2 in production, and we will likely see a Zootopia 2 as well.

A failure by Disney standards isn't the same as a failure by other companies' standards.

As their big winter Princess blockbuster, making about the same as Sing and less than Secret Life of Pets is pretty much the definition of commercial failure.

They made a profit, yes, but they were most certainly expecting it to perform better than this.

its was successful enough to warrant a TV show. It has nothing compared to Bunny Fox love though

I would like to see Disney or Pixar create a wholly owned but independent specialty label, where they would adopt the fiscal sense of Illumination and limit budgets to under $80 million, but in return give film makers complete control over the kind of stories they tell and experiment outside the princess and talking animal genres. An arthouse CGI studio that focuses on craft rather than pushing technology.

Were this a thing, we could have gotten a Moana that was far closer to Taika Waititi's original vision, and probably a more memorable film.

failure its a disney movie and disney always spends minimum of 150 million up on advertising. Not to mention that out of 500 million disney only gets what 20% or so of ticket sales making it more like 80 million minus the marketing making it -70 million, not even 1$ of profit.

Whole idea seemed like it would have killed as a TV series with the atmosphere but as a movie the characters dont really resonate.

Last fart of the revival era, brown people simply don't sell.

Relentless advertising and kids who like pop songs and funny animals. I took my cousin and it was a pretty enjoyable movie, a solid 7/10.

About the same as Tangled.
Tangled had a $260 mil budget and made $591 mil worldwide box office.
Moana had a $150 mil budged and made $587 mil, so while it made some millions less the $100 mil smaller budged should be taken into account.

Frozen was an insane freak mega success, and Zootopia astonishingly broke the billion worldwide box office mark too.

The measure of being "a success" isn't breaking the former freak record. Moana definitely made a profit and was critically very well received, so it's not a flop, and thus it can be considered a success.

Besides, now they've earned their ethnic brown princess cred and can march out Frozen II with its lilywhite cast without feeling bad

Frozen wasn't marketed much at all before it had already become a massive hit on its own and people were talking about it as a "phenomenon" though. Moana got a lot more pre-release marketing than Frozen

No, because "making over a billion" isn't the standard for success, it's still exceptional

I'm amazied how Frozen being a mediocre little girls movie became the next Lion King, worldwide phenomenon. All that thanks to a villain song

Moana isn't even out in Japan yet. Starts playing March 10th.
youtube.com/watch?v=j4katc0uB0A

Sooo, this movie features a hot underage brown chick, who gets soaking wet in every five seconds, spends a lot of time alone with a barely dressed hunk, shares an indirect[/spoiler] kiss with him and even puts a cock in her mouth without batting an eye. Don't even get me start on their private "wayfinder" lessons or that time when she got lost in the realm of monsterous tentacles

Muh dick says it was a damn success story.

And also she was tricked into watersports. That wasn't really her fault but she grew fond of the memory later.

must be another Golden Week.

Not that I'm aware of. The next Japanese holiday isn't until March 20th. Golden Week is the end of April through the start of May.

>Was it a success?

Moderately; it cost about the same as Wreck-It Ralph and Big Hero 6; it made about a hundred million more than Ralph did and about sixty to seventy million less than BH6 worldwide. It made more in the domestic market than that film though and Japan will bump that worldwide take up a bit so it'll be pretty close to the same amount of profit at the box office as BH6 when it's done.

Disney was pleased enough with Ralph to make a sequel and Big Hero 6 is getting a television show. So they're bound to be happy with how it performed.

Disney's already at the point that a billion dollars is the break even point with the Star Wars films. Say what you will about Lucas, he managed to not spend nearly a quarter of a billion dollars per film even before marketing.

Yeah but that doesn't include time spent, marketing costs or royalties. Sing used a couple of famous songs, they're likely to leech off a little bit of it's income.

too bad he sold his "knights in space" for billions, and now the side stories he approved are not canon anymore.

>Disney's theatrical sequels

Creativity is dead

>hence why Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad were flops
Nah, that's cost related

Typically a studio will get around half of the box office money for domestic, and between 20-50% for international.

BvS made 873m. We'll be nice and only take off 50%, which gives us 437m. BvS had a production budget of 250m and a supposed marketing budget of 165m. This totals 415m, leaving us with 22m net profit (again, this was being kind with my assumptions. It's likely to have made a net loss)

So from a purely box office perspective, BvS did very badly. That's not to say it was a flop - it probably did very well on the retail market and would have given WB an excellent boost in toy sales.

The music licensing fees were part of the reported budget, and were estimated to be around 15~20%.

Illumination is far from making the best films, but their ROI for the past 3 years has been incredible. It's the kind of return you'd normally see with microbudget horror films. It's almost unfair to compare them with other studios. Illumination is an outlier.

I liked how realistic the anatomy was in this. Watching Moana move was like watching an actual half-naked brown cutie move around. You also have to remember that covering breasts is only something Pacific Islanders started to do when Christian missionaries came.

>mfw co-workers keep playing the fucking soundtrack to this movie at work every fucking day.

Look I'm sure this movie is actually pretty decent and I love the people who worked on the music but I refuse to watch this movie now because of that fucking song.

>Even if a woman meets the requirements of a job they shouldn't be allowed because vaginas are icky

kill yourself

Who else enjoyed the emotional changes they made to Maui compared to his mythological standard.

It was interesting to have this divine ego deep down be just a desperate plea for love by a guy who was left to die at birth. That and his insecurity of not being anything without his hook. They even had the crab take emotional jabs at it in his song which I felt was clever.

>>Secret Life of Pets
>>Worldwide: $875,457,937
fucking how

None of them complained about Francine working there.

Zootopia is clever in that whilst the experience of discrimination is easily transferred over too real life, the minutae are very different. Sexism isnt so much a thing in Zootopia, but parallels could be drawn between the way that naturally larger animals are considered more suitable than smaller animals, even if the smaller animal exceeds larger ones in personal abilities. A fox isnt the same as an Irish or Black person because the anti fox stereotypes dont directly correlate with a real world ethnicity.

javascript:quote('9051670

If anyone doesn't believe Zootopia is propaganda s/he should see this:

youtube.com/watch?v=D3pF9owYlRI

So, how do you guys think the movie will go over in Japan? I don't think it'll be even remotely close to Frozen tier, but they do tend to go nuts about the tropical Pacific theming compared to the US.

According to the Japanese box office guy over at World of KJ:

>Moana will do very well. It doesn't have the phenomenon status that Frozen achieved before release; the (proper) Japanese inspiration that Big Hero 6 enjoyed; nor the critical and commercial success that Zootopia had before being released... However, Walt Disney Animation is on a major win streak right now, so a total of ¥5 billion or more ($40-50 million+) should still be doable.

>All that thanks to a villain song
I don't think it's "all thanks" to the song, but rather that there's something very relatable about the emotional struggles of the main sisters, feeling alienated from your family members as a result of misunderstandings and miscommunication, and making bad choices out of fear and trying to atone for past fuck-ups that appealed to a lot of people worldwide. Wrapped in a colourful cover of sparkly magic and songs, of course.

I mean Let It Go was good but not that good. I think that it's a bit unfair to try to chalk Frozen's insanely phenomenal success up to one song or marketing, there's more than that.

lol, you're forgetting that the superior North-Asian master race treats South Asians like something between a Mexican, gypsy and a nigger. Especially the Japs who are xenophobic and nationalistic as fuck.

Of course not, it has Elsa the whitest Disney princess who became not evil queen despite doing plenty of bad things, every little girl dreams to be like her.

That and Olaf who wasn't annoying.

lol fuck I bet you don't even know about how well the ice age sequels did

Ice age 4 made more money than that

>secret life of penis grossed 800m
There is no god

youtu.be/S6DOxuucAEk?t=9

>yfw shiny is a knock off of the song from the Jesse Eisenbirb movie

The returns are lower but doesn't have anything to do with whether it flopped

Where are you getting these numbers

I dunno man. Disney and Hawaii in particular tend to try and milk the Japs dry. They don't have to think highly of them. They just have to appeal to them. I'd think that would extend to Moana's general South Pacific shtick.

What do the Europeans see in this franchise?

>Where are you getting these numbers

Educate yourself, just Google for box office economics or something like that, there are hundreds of articles explaining this.

Financially it was a success, but if it hadn't been surrounded by more attractive Disney Films, I don't think this would be as true. In that sense I don't think it helped the brand and it potentially hurt it.

Add marketing. It was a flop.

>why does our home population contributes less that the rest of the world
What a truly American thing to be baffled about.

Few are baffled when the domestic market pulls in less than the rest of the world combined. That happens for practically every movie these days. But a US-produced movie making less than 20% of the total is what makes it noteworthy. Resident Evil 5 only made $26.7 million local but $267 million overseas (although technically that's based off a Japanese property). Warcraft collapsed with only $47.4 million stateside but pulled down $386.3 million elsewhere, etc.

yeah no shit I'm european and my 20+ friends all think those movies are the greatest shit ever and I have no idea why

This. They know the score: they were ticking off a checkbox, that's all. When they release their Brunhilde and Siegfried film if that's still in the works it's going to do better, because white characters still sell better (even in non-white markets like China)