This angers and confuses the American

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cN3yrJP24-I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Reddit thread

I'm sorry what is this?

>France less than 10%
Nice. Dechristianization worked

Yeah, Americans can't understand almost losing an entire army and a generation of young men to a superior enemy, how horrible of them

Proving my point. You can't appreciate that survival against the odds is the most human victory of all.

>against all odds
Should’ve just let Hitler have Poland tbqh

You are literally proving his point with this post, you can't even fathom the idea of a WW2 film being something other than the usual "WE THE BEST LET'S KILL ALL THE EBIL NAZIS/GOOKS SO HEROIC SO VICTORIOUS" shootout gorefest flicks because you can only take pride in your victories, which is pretty shallow.

>Italy: poor despite incredibly rich culture and tourism
>Poland: 3rd word shithole, despite inheriting Prussia and getting dickloads of chash from the EU
>Austria: 10% Turks and the old people still go to church
>Ireland: Poor as fuck and full of drunk catholic retards
>UK: 25% Indians, Poles, Pakis... all go to their places of worship
>Greece: Poor country...

Gee.. I wonder if theres a correlation between theism and being poor...

>you can't appreciate this thing that only subhumans that are bad at war experience
Of course, how uncultured of me

In 10 years Sweden will be in green again no worries

>if you’re proud of your victories, they win
The Trudeau Theorem?

They should understand well almost losing an entire army and a generation of young men to an inferior enemy though

This entire map is bullshit and I very much question its measuring methods

>All these countries are poor because i said so

Nice try faggot

>I wonder if theres a correlation between theism and being poor
Well roughly 80% of Americans identify as religious and America is the wealthiest country on the planet. So there goes your theory right there.

Kys

>this frightens the American

Losing 50,000 men which practically constitute a drop in the lake compared to the larger bulk of the US forces is a bit different than nearly losing your entire fucking standing army mate

>They should understand well almost losing an entire army and a generation of young men to an inferior enemy though
Terrible analogy.

>Poland: 3rd word shithole, despite inheriting Prussia and getting dickloads of chash from the EU

>thinking unironically that EU gives money to citizens instead of EU-linked organizations that return profit to Germany and France

good meme nevertheless

>Well roughly 80% of Americans identify as religious and America is the wealthiest country on the planet. So there goes your theory right there.

Is that why you have 15% of your population living below the poverty standard? Also, hows that rich/poor disparity looking these days? Minimum wage still not adjusted for inflation in 50 years?

Is it fun living in the 3rd world?

The Dunkirk apologists are some of the dumbest people I've encountered on the web. It's amazing how many failures the fanboys are willing to ignore

>thinking unironically that EU gives money to citizens instead of EU-linked organizations that return profit to Germany and France
Greece might beg to differ kiddo. Dont talk, if you dont know shit.

It's so fucking sad that you guys can't form a single coherent buzzword-free sentence about an actual film other than the usual "KINO PLEB REDDIT IMDB" namedropping, but if it's politics or some whatever surface-level moral or history subject than you all passionately/autistically reply to each other with whole essays for posts along with all the statistics and links needed with it.

This board is a fucking joke.

Explain to me why Dunkirk isn't kino

>weekly RELIGIOUS attendance
>Dechristianization

Learn to read fucking retard.

>HA HA, but your poorest 15% are poorer than the other 85% of your population!
>UR THIRD WORLD!!!!!
I see you're a literal retard from a retarded country, gone brain-damaged from malnutrition. Do we need to increase the amount of food we dump on your asses in foreign aid, because your own nation is reduced to begging us for table scraps?

It's amazing how Americans like you simultaneously bemoan the existence of "libturd states" like California and New York, yet when people point out that most of America is a backwater full of Irish-blooded inbreds, you boast about the economic prosperity of the states that are supposedly unamerican.

I salute those Brits. They had no choice

>Texas is unamerican
Lmao wut?

Yeah, retard. The German Minister of Finance also didn't know shit, when he said that 90% of loans (you call them "gibs") goes back to Germany alone and 125% to UE overall.

Anything that happens on the boat.

So a countryside of spics and industries run by Austin liberals is your idea of a "based red state"?

Literally the best part of the film

Ahem

Again with the bullshit.

youtube.com/watch?v=cN3yrJP24-I

t. NEET

Isn't it quite odd how literally NO ONE ever has a single positive thing to say about your "reviews" here, no matter the film or the thread?
Isn't it quite odd how you always just brush off everyone like "kek, reddit brainlets", have you ever considered that it is actually you and your extremely embarassing rambling videos without any qualities or valuable insights whatsoever?

You could make a "review" praising or hating on Dunkirk and upload it right now and shill it here, but if you did it like any of your other reviews you would get the same amount of hate for it. Please rethink your life.

It's a survival war film with characters that you don't give a flying fuck about.
It's like making a car without wheels. What's the fucking point?

>We must be very careful not to assign to this deliverance the attributes of a victory. Wars are not won by evacuations.

Do you need a whole backstory for every character first to care about him? Are you so used to capeshit garbage that you first need an entire origin movie for the character setup to care about a person?
Is it not enough to show how Rylance is a compassionate stoic old man who lost his son in the first two weeks of the war enough to care about him? Is it not enough to show a brave pilot continuously sacrificing himself for his fellow countrymen to care about him? To feel sorry for a group of at last saved barely 18 year old soldiers who suddenly get torpedoed the fuck out of?
What did you want, a scene around a campfire where they all talk about their sweethearts waiting at home? Tom Hardy sipping tea and jerking off to dear Ol' Marge in the airbase? A scene of some old generals in a boardroom arguing while staring at a map? Would that make a better film?

Characters are made by action, not just reciting lines about their backstory. The portrayed situations alone should be enough for you to be attached to the person on-screen if you're not a full blown turboautist

>muh young brave soldiers
This is what I was talking about. No, I clearly don't expect capeshit levels of character development, but I need something to make me care about the people who are in danger. Otherwise they're just one of the many people dying on screen. Come up with better excuses

>I need something to make me care about the people who are in danger.
I'll repeat myself.
Is it not enough to show how Rylance is a compassionate stoic old man who lost his son in the first two weeks of the war enough to care about him? Is it not enough to show a brave pilot continuously sacrificing himself for his fellow countrymen to care about him? To feel sorry for a group of at last saved barely 18 year old soldiers who suddenly get torpedoed the fuck out of? What more do you need?

Unironic autism

Congrats on missing the point
The lack of characterisation is deliberate and reflects the millions of nameless soldiers who died
If you can't appreciate that it might be because you're american

>realises he's a laughing stock
>y-you guys are like so obsessed with us

QUICK: name any character in this movie

Justify this

George

Farrier, Tommy, George, and Collins.

You're not supposed to know their names you dumb autist, that's the point. I mean they literally call the french guy "a frog"

>Movie has near zero plot, story, likeable characters or interactions
>Dude best movie ever lmao
>Nolan does it again!

Stuka, Torpedo, Spitfire and Lil Boat

>the British get BTFO by Germany over and over again for 2 hours straight

Personally, I loved this movie.

>Movie has near zero plot
How? There's something happening from the first frame right to the last
>story
You just reiterated your first meaningless point.
>likeable characters
Not ever film has to be a fake empathy wankfest with polar extreme sympathetic good guys vs the oh so evil bad guys. And you're lying if you didn't care about Rylance's character
>interactions
This is just a plain braindead empty point, probably didn’t know what to even say so you just spat it out for more words

>ITT: angry, confused Americans

It's a thriller film without any tension aside from the opening scene (which was kino) and the boat hideout scene. I went into the theater knowing it wasn't an action movie but there was even less action than I expected. It was fucking boring.
Rather than showing the massive scale of the evacuation, the movie shows a few hundred people literally standing in lines at the beach.
The music was unnecessarily fucking loud and repetitive and drowned out all the voices.

There is no point to talking about this movie. It's a bunch of UK cunts (including Nolan) trying to find meaning in a crushing and humiliating defeat.

>without any tension aside from the opening scene
>less action than I expected
>boring

PLEBS OUT

Big Guy.

The Commander of the Deck

>It was fucking boring.
"Boring" is not a valid argument, it only says what your mood was while watching the film. Same as saying "it was fun", that does not indicate anything about the actual quality of the film whatsoever.
>the movie shows a few hundred people literally standing in lines at the beach.
That's literally how it happened user, they weren't all crammed like sardines into a single spot on the beach.

I appoint you to this post

Its hopeless.

Only flagboards are worse

>taking pride in your defeats

Post yfw an American is fat near you

No, it's taking pride in surviving, taking pride in your fellow countrymen helping the entire nation at all cost, even down to the smallest of civilians, it's pure patriotism.

I need basic character development. Something that even capeshit can do. It's not that hard.

>it's not bad if it's done badly on purpose
fantastic argument. Almost made me think

that's really just a staggering amount of vomit

>Almost made me think

I doubt there's any risk of that happening any time soon

>discussion of subjective commercialized 'art' is taken less seriously than discussion of reality
hmm

It's actually a correlation between being dumped on by the US and being poor. After WWII Italy was basically handed over to right wing mafia connected corrupt politicians by the CIA (see Operation Gladio)

>I need basic character development
What about Rylance's son coming to understand what stoicism is? Styles coming to understand that there is something to praise in a succesful retreat? Hardy coming to understand personal sacrifice for a greater good? Rylance's character in general? Isn't that "basic" enough for you?

You are just blindly trying to fish out non existent arguments out of your ass, like you would "care" suddenly about the characters if they all had extreme character developments where they become the polar opposites of themselves at the end

TELEVISION AND FILM BOARD user
GO POST YOUR EUROPE CHURCHES AND CIRCUMCISION GRAPHS ELSEWHERE

>taking pride in surviving
The philosophy of the punching bag

i'm a burger and i have no idea what you meant by this
it's in man's nature to persevere, and any movie that shows how a man can carry on despite seemingly insurmountable odds is not only pure kino, but womenwillneverunderstandcore.

>'ELP 'ELP DAD!
>wozz it son?
>iz George, it iz
>wozzat pansy done now?
>'E's....'E's
>spittit out son
>'E's dunkirked 'is 'ead, 'e 'as

Show me an example of better scriptwriting, I dare you

I'll glad you can appreciate it but look a some of the responses in this thread. Jesus

Butthurt Dunkirk fanboy is butthurt. No surprise.

Rylance was okay, the rest weren't. So no, it's wasn't good enough for me.

I'm not trying to fish any arguments here. You're the one making excuses for shitty characters. Just like every other Dunkirk fanboy out there.

>OI! GUVNAH!
>toppa the mornin' to ya laddy!
>HE IS NOTTU ASPEAKIN TO YOU SMERRY POTATONIGGAH
>OY VEY THE SLIT-EYED GOY IS CORRECT, SURRENDER YOUR FORESKIN
>Heeeey COMPADRE mang tacos
>WASSAT LAD?! YA GOT DA JEW AND DA ANGLO COMIN IN WITH THA SNIPPAZ?
>hol up HOL UP *sucks in air through teeth and wheezes* SO YOU BE SAYIN DAT DEY WUZ SNIPS
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LE POOPY CIRCUMSISION BRITISH BONG BONG BONG FIVE PAST PONG ROOTY TOOTY POINT N SHOOTY HAHAAHAHAHHA SO LE FUNNY AND LE ORIGINALY LE RACISM LE LE LOOK AT ME HOW COOL I AM DO I FIT IN YET DO I FIT IN YET
>OH LOOK AT BOWSER'S CASTLE LINK, WHOOOOOOOOOO HAS SUCH A LUST FOR PLANS, I'M A BIG GUY, BUT I HAVE THE HIGH GROUNDSEE IM BEING NIHILISTC le ironic rick and morty meme NOTHING MATTERS HIGH IQ

sneed

T. Shatner

Now, I've always respected the intelligence of the eternal anglo, but it should probably be a bit more obvious that the Americans are exaggerating their freedom swagger in order to garner a reaction.
Americans are tough, but we also like to wave our peacock feathers around.
In truth, Americans identify with this movie quite a bit. Contrary to what a lot of burgerposters on the site will say, the U.S. and Western Europe are best pals - There's a reason we have a 'special relationship' with the U.K.
tl;dr they're trolling you because they love you, yurope.

television and film are shallow entertainment that provide easy shitposting material. that's what this board is.

and unless you're expecting people to discuss technical aspects of film-making they won't it's natural that they would start talking about how television and movies relate to reality because that's where any substance is (especially in the thread for a historical movie)

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.
>haha, those stupid Americans will never understand how courageous and patriotic getting slaughtered by a superior force and running away is
>they will NEVER understand why we are proud of getting slaughtered like animals and our army needing to be bailed out by the French and our own fucking civilians
Like I said, I'm not mad. It seems as though you're in denial about it, especially since all your rationalizations so far have been generic nonsense like "surviving is the most HUMAN victory of all". Like you're actually ashamed of it all but your European egotism won't let you admit it so you have to shove how patriotic it is down our throats with a healthy side of resentment towards us.
Reminder that the British not only refused to let the French on their boats during the retreat or ignore their wounded but they also went as far to cut their hands off and throw them overboard, especially the black ones. This was happening while another mostly French regiment was holding off the Germans for them.

Top tier post. Amerilards and christcucks BTFO

I'd like that to be true but we both know that fewer and fewer of these retards are being ironic. The faux-morons have been overwhelmed by the real ones who believe themselves to be in good company.

There's far more substance in experiencing true works of art than throwing wikipedia articles and twitter screencaps at one another.

>getting slaughtered
Evacuating 338 226 out of 400 000 soldiers is not exactly "getting slaughtered", I think there are far worse examples of burgers getting "slaughtered like animals" in WW2
>bailed out by the French and our own fucking civilians
The french boats bailed out the french and the brit boats bailed out the brits, that's literally told to you in the film. And there is nothing more patriotic than regular civilians helping out the country in need even if it means going into death

fat

what do the names matter lmao? I don't memorize the names of fictional characters in every film I watch.

You're literally just shouting again how you don't get it
If you need a name to conceptualise your feelings around one character this film isn't for you and you can't understand why this film was good for non-burgers

wasn't that the point of the movie?

this isn't the art board, it's the television and film board

>The french boats bailed out the french and the brit boats bailed out the brits, that's literally told to you in the film.
I'm not talking about the film, the French ships didn't arrive in time and they were left out in the cold for a while with wounded men that the Brits ignored. They also showed this in the film. Again, while a mostly French force was more or less the only thing in between them and the Nazis that they also abandoned.
>Evacuating 338 226 out of 400 000 soldiers is not exactly "getting slaughtered"
That's still more than sixty thousand dead men, a majority escaping doesn't change that.
>I think there are far worse examples of burgers getting "slaughtered like animals" in WW2
Nah, but we don't try to play those deaths off like a moment of national pride.
>And there is nothing more patriotic than regular civilians helping out the country in need even if it means going into death
Serve and protect, that's what an army is supposed to do for their country at least where I'm from. The military takes a shit ton of people's money, land, and even, y'know, people and in return they keep you safe and protect your interests. The moment they fail to do that, the moment civilians have to risk their lives to enter a war zone to serve and protect the army, they've failed as army and you've failed as a country. It's not exactly the end of the world but it is by no means something anyone should have any pride in.

The movie was fine I guess, but was the point so fucking difficult that Nolan had to include a Churchill speech. The scene were they feel like failures and people are just proud of them is quite well made. Couldn't be just keep it in his pants let actions speak for themselves instead of someone explaining it?

>The moment they fail to do that, the moment civilians have to risk their lives to enter a war zone
They didn't have to, and that's the point. Civilians only had to "borrow" their boats so the Navy can operate them, and the Navy expected a few dozen boats, but instead hundreds of boats of actual civilians who voluntarily went into the war zone appeared. Again, pure patriotism.

It's a pretty good speech