Spaghetti Westerns General

youtu.be/I91GEjoIHS0

How come Italians were able to make better films about the american west than americans themselves?

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/86125935
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Italians are just better at making movies

and why were all the good directors named Sergio?

there are only like 3 good spaghetti westerns and most of them suck

the only thing that makes any of them memorable at all is the music

Sergio Leone alone made 5 fucking amazing ones

American studios were passing on making Westerns because they thought the genre was dead. It's like if a few years from now WB, Disney etc. stopped making capeshit, so Chinese studios pick up the rights cheap and start cranking out kino starring Americans.

What do you mean better?

They are retarded and portray an outsider view of what the wild west was, not in any shape accurate.

Westerns are mostly bad, even the Leone ones are shounen-tier stories for boys that feature a man that is an incredible actor with a timeless face and that's why they are popular. Not because they are 'good' if you compare them to masterpieces of the same era.

what are you 80 years old?

4 at worst, only Dynamite is debatable.

Add roughly another 9 for Sollima and Corbucci.

Add Requiescant, Sabata, A Bullet for the General, Day of Anger, Cemetary Without Crosses, Django Kill..., Death Rides a Horse, etc.

Next time be smart enough to realize you are ignorant.

ho back to reditt faggot.

I should mention I am not in agreement with OP that Spaghetti Westerns were better than "traditional" westerns.

They were so different there is little point in comparing them. They were both great.

>murricans this mad

vimeo.com/86125935

this is great. thanks

Fistful of Dynamite has the coolest character intro of them all (except for maybe the Charles Bronson one) but otherwise it's pretty boring.

You forgot "Dig Three Graves."

Probably the greatest non-Leone Euro
western ever made.

reminder that A Fistful of Dollars is just an unlicensed remake of Yojimbo and Sergio Leone rip-offed Akira Kurosawa

Weeb alert

I like that they got Sollima to direct the Sicario sequel. It's kind of a modern western in a way with lawmen vs banditos

What is that cape thing he is wearing op?

It looks cool. I'm gonna get one.

It's a poncho.

Americans love Sergio Leone movies the problem is that there are about 1000 imitations that sucked

but that movie was an unlicensed adaptation of an American novel

>Op hasn't seen the best western unforgiven.
Shame.

not even close

post great westerns

>Shane
>Treasure of the Sierra Madre
>Hang Em High (maybe not a great but I like it, also great OST)
>Rio Bravo (not sure how anyone can be a John Wayne hater with movies like this)
>Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
>McCabe and Ms Miller
>Tombstone
>Lonesome Dove (TV)
>Deadwood (TV)

also Josey Wales is overrated

Hell on wheels is good dude

only the basic structure is similar to red harvest (which imo is one of hammett's weaker op stories)

nice reddit spacing faggot

Bumping for a great thread.

High Plains Drifter is basically Man With No Name part 4.

Go watch Diablo with Scott eastwood.

>dynamite is debatable
Do people really not like this movie?

it's his son

For a Few Dollars More > TGTBTU = FFOD

yojimbo is basically Dashiell Hammett so the root of spaghetti is actually hard boiled noir, urban cynicism, the opposite genre of the western but also equally American, the two sides of the same mythological coin, Leone didn't care about the horizon or the moral implications of civilizing the wild, but he did seize the heart of American civilization, the greed the hypocrisy the violence that lied under the rug because he wasn't blinded by patriotism he had no reasons to believe those fairy tales Ford kept telling himself. All he knew was that cinema was a beautiful lie.

>Do people really not like this movie?
Americans don't understand it. It's by far his best film with OUATIA.

Some spaghetti western were good.
Some John Wayne westerns were good.
Enjoy both, it is not a competition.

Why is OP such a fan of cocks?

The Wild Bunch
The Shootist
The Searchers

Sometimes it takes a foreigner's perspective without homegrown preferences about the subject matter to get it right. Ang Lee's Ride with the Devil also comes to mind, a Rice Western if you will.

I just experimented by watching Greaser's Palace, El Topo, The Shooting and Zachariah. El Topo was so good it might have ruined westerns for me for a bit. Any recs?
>Inb4 jodorosky not. even. once.