White bois on suicide watch

After the successes of 'Daredevil,' 'Jessica Jones' and 'Luke Cage,' Marvel and Netflix have their first big misstep.

>Subtext. Matt Murdock is driven by his Catholic guilt, Jessica Jones by traumatic assault and consent issues, Luke Cage by America's multi-century history of imperiled black masculinity. Iron Fist arrives in a deep hole amid concerns about its curly-haired, blonde protagonist appropriating Asian culture, but the bigger problem ends up being that he's barely even appropriating. There's no specificity to Danny's experience other than the most generic of identity crises -- like the world needed another billionaire vigilante — and Jones is far too placid a leading man to give any sense of Danny's internal torment. He's not placid in a Zen way, just tepid like room temperature. Rather than being a man who found enlightenment through tragedy and disassociation from his upbringing, Danny comes across like a spoiled frat boy who took a Comparative Religion class and spends a few months picking up coeds by telling them he's totally into meditation and tai chi now.
uproxx.com/sepinwall/iron-fist-review-netflix-marvel/

hollywoodreporter.com/review/marvels-iron-fist-review-984200

If I wanted an asian Iron Fist I ask for Shang-Chi.

Sounds less to do with cultural appropriation and more to do with the show being shot and having no real sense of direction

1. why is colonialism on par with kungfu wouldn't it make more sense to theme the character around wrestling or boxing?
2. why dose this have to take place in an alternate dimension and not in "I don't know" an Asian country?

I'd read Colonial Man.

We really need better moderation on Sup Forums. Any twitter or MCU/DCEU drama (you) harvesting threads should just be instant bans.

That's not even CLOSE to being Danny Rand origin story. This whole debacle was based on a strawman.

>He's like the only character that touches on "White Privilege".

What a mess.

No fuck you I want my kung fu redcoat, or whatever coat. Hard to tell in grayscale.

Why not simply want them to use an Asian superhero instead of wanting them to make a white superhero Asian?

I mean why act like there aren't any?
Sure they're a big minority next to white superheroes, but they're still there.

This, I would read the shit out of it

GIMEM THIS COMIC/MOVIE

>final panel
>"the character's original Asian..."
I believe it. The Japanese and Chinese especially have their own long and detailed histories about colonialism, exploitation and slavery. Do liberals not know that?

Shhh, that doesnt count becuse they only colonised mostly other asians, and liberals cant see the difference between different assians.

Or different blacks, who sold each other into slavery.

Or different whites, which is why fucking irish have "priviledge" still

Its all the same to them, and everyone of three(sometimes 4 or 5) types of humans has their fixated step on the privilege ladder, which does not care for context.

These racist idiots think all Asians and all Whires are the same. There's many, many asian cultures amd many white cultures. Couldn't an Asian hero adopt an actual fighting style such as fencing, or the martial arts that exsisted in say ancient rome?

nope. gott bless american education

Well what do you expect? The world in America is a shitshow. You're going to see MORE of this shit on Sup Forums more often because the world has decided to take three step backs in race relations and actively ENCOURAGE segregation among the races.

Isn't Danny's whole point that race doesn't matter? Because his whole backstory is nurture>nature. Even when he gets back to the states all his friends are black. Damny supposed to show we can all get along but people keep wanting to segregate for some reason

I think the American Left has lost their collective minds. Not saying we should all be conservatives but I think it's best to stop identifying as liberals because the ones in charge have deemed reason and rationality to be for "Nazis" and unironically promote segregation as the only way for peace.

These comics are always stupid.

A lot of people would read colonial man.

People would play as the guy covered in oil in fighting games wearing nothing but a lion cloth to cover his massive cock.

People would play a video game in which guys had skimpy armor like girls.

These comics always portray the dude bro crying that he has to see a weird piece of media like you're supposed to go "oh I totally get it if I was in your shoes I'd be crying too" when nobody but no fun allowed babies give a remote fuck about any of this shit.

>when your strawman is almost a better idea than the original
It would be campy, for sure, but also loads of fun.

>implying a single Asian wants Iron Fist to be Asian
It's exclusively white, middle-class liberals with too much time on their hands.

>implying in this "alternate dimension" there would even be such a concept as non-Asian culture
Asians are very adept at eradicating non-dominant cultures, just look at Tibetans in China and the Ainu in Japan.

>He's an asian guy who knows karate

wow

real progressive

How would he fight and where would he learn this from? Did he find some lost city in the U.S.? Is his musket magical that he had to earn?

>Asian character is so infatuated with some aspect of western culture that he constructs a vigilante persona based on it and actually does better than the westerners at it

I mean, is that supposed to offend me? Or make me uncomfortable? Because that sounds cool. I want a Chinese guy obsessed with spaghetti westerns who turns into a cowboy with Revolver Ocelot-levels of handgun proficiency. There's so much room there for interesting events or fun character dynamics.

Or, like...a kid from central Africa who saw Braveheart then studied medieval European history and goes to fight crime with a claymore and a kilt. That'd be radical. What's the problem?

Yeah, but then they'll just retort that you're fine with it because you're not exposed to it all the time, like women and minorities are.

Just make a whole superhero team like this.

>Cowboy gunslinger from Tianjin
>Scottish highlander from Nairobi
>Honorable samurai from the backwoods of Kentucky

>Or different blacks, who sold each other into slavery

I think both sides don't know that there are different Asians, blacks or whites. You know, like viewing all blacks as being the same people or viewing all cultures as having the same understanding when it comes to ownership, property and slavery when they do not.

>Or, like... a kid from central Africa who saw Braveheart then studies medieval European history and goes to fight crime with a claymore and kilt.

Well Idi Amin had that whole self-appointed King of Scotland thing going on.

Minorities like sexy women too. Did they ever thought of that?

what are their names tho?

Again, they would just say that you're only fine with it because to you it is a fun novelty, while to them it is a stark reminder of Western oppression that is constantly shoved in their faces.

Chinese Cowboy, Black Scottish Cyclops and a weaboo.

Together they fight crime!

1) midevil knight would make more sense.
2) don't know

It's funny, because Iron Fist already is colonialism man, because K'un-Lun is parked right on top of H'ylthri territory.

Hindu Knight

>WHAT IS ANIME
can count non-japanese main characters with one hand, and no one complains.

Well the sexy women thing is generally about women's objections to that sort of depiction, minorities' views on the matter aren't really relevant.

I think what they're going for cultural appropriation or whatever they call it. The problem is that not many people care about it. What's probably more important is the journey on how and why they became these characters and what these characters are like.

They all just pick names based on the things that made them love cowboys/highlanders/samurai.

>Chinese cowboy goes by 'Blondie Wayne'
>African highlander goes by 'Brave Wallace'
>Kentucky samurai goes by 'Mifune Rokurōta'

Oh thank god I'm not alone

Afghan Hoplite.

1.White American culture is New England only
2. There are no Asian countries with a decent white population

This is beginning to sound like the "WHITE MEN SHOULDN't WEAR KIMONOS REEEEEEEEE" incident all over again. Where American asians protest that shit despite the Japanese themselves encouraging it.

>Movie night at the homebase
>They can't decide what takeout to order
>Cowboy wants barbecue. There's no barbecue places that deliver.
>Highlander wants cullen skink. No place around here even knows what that is.
>Samurai wants sushi. There's one sushi place and it's the expensive kind that they can't afford.

>They settle on pizza. Mushrooms and anchovies with extra garlic.

It's nice to know that the Italians are always there to settle these things.

>1. why is colonialism on par with kungfu wouldn't it make more sense to theme the character around wrestling or boxing?
Maybe a medieval knight, or a wild west gunslinger

>2. why dose this have to take place in an alternate dimension and not in "I don't know" an Asian country?
Because they know if the japs did this as an anime we would love it. They need an alternate dimension where white people are whiny like niggers. Because the actual asians don't give a fuck about this.

Cowboy boxer with a magic knight sword for emergencies that goes around on a flying surfboard. He likes burgers and has a pet eagle.

The Bluegrass Ronin? On the lam, wandering from town to town and village to village but always helping folks out of messes with his big ol' sword.

>Because the actual asians don't give a fuck about this.

Actual Asian in Asia, can confirm.

I just want to see kung fu fighting, kicks as fast as lightning

They don't seem to understand the concept that as long as something is cool, anyone can like it. Here's a shield from a tribe in Papua, New Guinea that was shown Phantom comics during WWII. American troops showed it to them and they thought the Phantom was awesome.

I hope white people would not be such faggots in the alternate universe. Also is this alternate universe US dominated by Asians? because if Chinese made a show with an Asian in new York you can bet your ass they won't be changing shit. They usually don't do that because they are happy with their own history and are not shamed about it so they don't seek outside validation but whenever there is a medical drama or something you can bet your ass he will go to a western country and show off how his skills are better than everyone else

Of course it is, they're the ones who are raw about that stuff.

Every Japanese superhero already counts in a meta way.

Every superhero in fiction owes a debt to Superman.

He wanders into the small, impoverished town of Mudlick. There's a man who's been stealing chickens from the kind-hearted townsfolk.

The honorable samurai gives him three chances to return what he has stolen.

Then he draws his blade. Bought this thing at a flea market back in Vicco. Was dull at first but the Bluegrass Ronin's pa has one of them professional blade sharpeners. Can cut through a watermelon just by placing the sword on top of it.

I want this.

Hellenistic culture did pass through Afghanistan. Thank Alexander and his Successors.

Ehh... We can put more than five seconds of thought in their names.

>Actual Asian in Asia, can confirm.
>actual asians
well I don't know about actual asians but US expatriates sure do love to bitch on twitter. There are a minority of expatriates but they still throw a wrench into the whole "well you don't see Asians bitching" unfortunately I have also seen some white people bitch as hard about their interests (and I don't just mean the brain damage justice fags)

Samurai Earl

>Chinese Cowboy meets Bluegrass Ronin
>Cowboy gets super excited
>Ronin has to awkwardly explain that even though he's white with a southern accent he's Appalachian, not Texan

>Bluegrass Ronin meets Chinese Cowboy
>Ronin gets super excited
>Cowboy has to awkwardly explain that he's Chinese, not Japanese

>Asian character is so infatuated with some aspect of western culture that he constructs a vigilante persona based on it and actually does better than the westerners at it

When you put it like that, it sounds like much of the manga/anime industry. One Piece or JJBA Part 7 in particular come to mind.

I am from Kentucky and I actually saw a katana with a rebel flag motif on the grip and sheath. I should have bought it.

Homegrown Asians don't care because we have more important shit to deal with in our Third World countries. This is a textbook First World problem.

For instance, months ago some Filipino-Americans were up in arms over a new show or something for being discriminatory, so it was never greenlit, while we in Flipland are trying to cope with turbulent politics.

Add the suffix -Americans after any ethnicity and you get people who whine and bitch about fucking nothing. Remove the suffix and you mostly have people who don't give a fuck about if their tv shows and cartoons have slanted eyes or not.

It's a bit difficult. I mean, a samurai fanatic from Kentucky wouldn't want a name like 'Hillbilly Samurai' or whatever. He'd want an official-sounding samurai name.

Almost need to know Japanese in order to construct a name that sounds like a traditional samurai name but also has an extra context to it.

I feel like, for full effect, the names need to be almost accurate but not quite. A Chinese cowboy would want a name like Wyatt Earp or Pecos Bill or Billy the Kid...but for full comedic effect it would have to sound slightly 'off'.

They're called the New Left and they're on par with the Right's Neo Liberal faction that thinks privatization is the answer to all government problems.

They don't have to be completely devoid of self-awareness.

You could get things like 'Tianjin Bill' or 'Abdalla the Brave' or 'Kototenzan Eustace' that acknowledges both their physical heritage and their cultural interests.

sadly true. There was even a case where a Russian girl (one out of a pair of twins) was adopted to US and in 6 months she changed into a drastic entitled whiner. Then she convinced her parents to visit her sister and cried till they adopted her too.

Regressive left is a good term too. And if you want to get all academic you can say post-modern left though 99% of all people will misunderstand you.

Rebel Ronin, The Ranger, and Claymore.

Why didn't they kick up a fuss over Matt and Stick knowing ninja shit?

>thinks privatization
is not that the librarians.
>New Left
there is no new left or alt right, there are only the regresses and conservatives. Why the endless rebranding?

the fuck is a 'regress'

>Rebel Ronin

Shit, that's good.

I like Rebel Ronin.

you've reached new absences of political plurality tat man never thought possible

Yeah, I know. But a Corinthian helmed spearman praying to Athena for guidance fighting the Taliban in Urdu because he's reasserting his Bactrian identity would totally fit in with these guys AND drive home how long cultural appropriation has been going on.

It was too late to bitch and there's no misconception that they're some kind of Chosen Ones meant to save Nipland. They're just incidentally blind white ninjas .
Because it needs to be an alternate reality because there's no Asian country with either a big/vocal enough white population and the whole crux is creating a 1/1 situation that can't be recreated here otherwise they'd probably just debunk that shit by digging up some manga where a Japanese guy excels in some "white" area and helps out white people that nobody really cared about.

Okay, how is this?
>A Japanese dignitary travels to the HRE (such travels are documented) and his kid goes missing in the dark forests of Germany for reason X
>here kid finds the grave of Barbarossa/the mythical bath where Siegfried skinnydipped in the blood of the dragon/the actual iron fist prosthetic of Götz von Berlichingen
>kid gets taken in by super mythical fencing school to learn German-style great sword fencing
>returns home as a knighted warrior to reclaim his family titles
>proceeds to fight samurai in landsknecht outfit for honor and justice
Who would read this?

>"the man who cannot die" on a shield
Fits.

Kenichi smith when

That sounds really cool and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

regressive
its no political plurality when you give same shit different names

1. author is retarded
2. see above

I would not read it but I would watch the tv show. also I think something like that was one of the kamen rider plots

Fucked around and drew a shitty Bluegrass Ronin

>Scottish highlander from Nairobi

>muh culture apropiation
>muh arian race
>muh american slavery never 4get
>muh soggy knee
this is why I don't watch capeshit tv shows and I really wish Sup Forums wasn't allowed to discuss them. put Sup Forums back on Sup Forums

If the race carders hate it so much, then it's gotta be passable at least

You can read Gentrification Man, which is basically the same shit updated for a modern audience.

Josh Luna makes main characters in his comic Asian. Disproves his own point.

It's almost like if you want more diverse leads, there's nothing stopping you from just doing it.

We all would. It's a damn shame that those original characters are used only to throw bitchfits instead of starring in nice stories.
This author could have made a real Colonial Man comic with the same satirical impact plus value as a stand-alone comic instead of this.

Descendant of Zhen He fleets that capsized near America?
They fought the indians for centuries, with their numbers dwingling each generation; when the europeans set foot on the continent, there's only a handful left and they send Yue Fei, the youngest of the group, to be adopted by the "colonials", so the culture of glorious China will survive.

Looks like McCree and Hanzo from Overwatch fused together.

It's 高い正午!

I think Iron Fist is very uncool, in the same way Matt Damon in the wall of China is stupid, and in the same way I would never watch that Tom Cruise is a samurai movie.

Also, whenever I see the guy shirtless, all I can think is "with these shitty pecs, Ill fight crime"

I think the show will fail, in the same way the Matt Damon movie failed.

So is he just Tom Cruise from the Last Samurai?

Dude I love Colonial Man
Why isn't that a thing?

>or a wild west gunslinger
FUCK YEAH KENICHI SMITH!

You know Jules Brunet was a real character, right?
So it is cultural appropriation... of french culture.

Also I fail to see how a chinese (propaganda) fantasy movie is like the Last Samurai at all.

How about a ninja from new jersey?

Then you're an idiot who missed the point of all of those. The Last Samurai and Iron fist are meant to show how everyone's the same and we can get past differences by learning from and understanding each other. That race is physical and we can easily get past it. Saying "Only [a specific race] can _____" is a huge step backwards

Sure, but what's that got to do with anything?