How Rotten Tomatoes Screwed Over 'Justice League'

>Yes, there is going to be a lot of talk about what went wrong with the opening weekend reception of Justice League, and at least some of the blame lies with the poor reception of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, as well as the lackluster reviews and the choice to make the film into some de-facto copy of The Avengers. But there is one odd factor that deserves a moment of discussion, and that is how Rotten Tomatoes, and the media in covering Rotten Tomatoes, black-flagged the WB release just before the release date.

>I don’t know to what extent Fandango deserves blame for what transpired. The very autonomy that they were exercising was no better or worse than a studio-imposed embargo that has been par for the course for as long as any of us have been doing this, and even if they expected the reaction they have a right to exploit mass stupidity. But a big chunk of the responsibility is with the media who peddled conspiracy theories and once again treated the Tomatometer (which is merely the percentage of participating critics who rate a given film a “positive” – or 6/10 rating) as a kind of movie critic Hogwarts sorting hat.

>No matter who deserves blame, the end result is that Justice League became a victim of a reactionary, clickbait media culture that immediately pounced on the notion that the film was so terrible that Time Warner Inc. was pressuring one of its companies to hide the film’s critical consensus from the public. Never mind that A Bad Moms Christmas got the same treatment and never mind that WB’s big movie looked noticeably worse because of the manufactured controversy. Fair or not, Warner Bros. Justice League got screwed by Rotten Tomatoes via a decision that WB played no part in, as well as the clickbait media that happily played along in presuming the worst.

forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/11/21/box-office-how-rotten-tomatoes-screwed-over-justice-league/#247df1103742

Do you agree Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/wKGf58A8afo?t=56s
alexa.com/siteinfo/rottentomatoes.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>and at least some of the blame lies with the poor reception of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, as well as the lackluster reviews and the choice to make the film into some de-facto copy of The Avengers
Also the fact that it was shit, you forgot that little tidbit.

Maybe rotten tomatoes themselves shouldnt have made it a fucking event with a countdown and video release like its a big deal.

Maybe rotten tomatoes owned by fucking WB should've dropped the embargo early to stop pseudo hype

>trying something different
>immediately shit

No, because JL doesn't exist in a vacuum. Suicide Squad made money despite a worse score. So did BvS.

The answer is simple: It's a shit movie from a damaged brand that no one is willing to give the benefit of the doubt anymore.

hiding the score definitely put the spotlight on it.

>copying something else
>trying something different

It wasn't like Avengers anyway. Reminded me more of SS than that. I'd put Supe's mustache in the same realm of WTF as Cara's weird body cgi.

Make a less shit film, losers.

there was no body cgi
all talk of "cgi tits" and its ilk is a myth

>different

You mean dated. The movie is dated.

I agree with them, if you look at the reviews there are lots that could have gone either way but strangely went rotten. I am not saying this is a 80% fresh but I think if the chips fell a different way could have been a 62%, which could have bought them another 20M of box office and decent profitability.

Remember that it got a B+ cinemascore so those who DID see it enjoyed it and audience scores have been pretty good so far. The problem is too many were put off to see it.

Also I feel like psychologically, Disney has defined how superhero movies should look and feel, its causing people to reject the WB style. When WB tried to match Disney to compensate they were seen as copiers and as having not quite understood the formula.

Justice League is basically like the 'Engrish' version of a Disney movie.

BvS was pretty hyped and came off a decent MoS which lots of people liked even with lots of vocal detractors. SS I think had a lot of visual style and makeup with a cool aesthetic that appealed to teens, it was kind of critic proof people just wanted to take part in that world.

JL WAS basically DC Avengers so there was nothing really to draw people in if the movie was perceived to be bad.

youtu.be/wKGf58A8afo?t=56s

OHNONONONO

>Also I feel like psychologically, Disney has defined how superhero movies should look and feel, its causing people to reject the WB style. When WB tried to match Disney to compensate they were seen as copiers and as having not quite understood the formula.

Except you're retarded. Wonder Woman was a beat-for-beat recreation of the Marvel formula done competently, so competently that some plebs thought it was in the MCU. Everyone loved that shit despite a corny villain and a mediocre lead. The project itself was just of better quality with better choices made throughout production. No, absent those creative voices, you have a lackluster copy that everyone hates and contrasts against Thor 3: Thor Rides Again which just came out.

We all know who is to blame here: Snyder and his Wrecking Crew.

Let's make a list of all the haters who SABOTAGED Justice League, the most perfect movie in history:

>Whedon
>Disney shills
>Zack's dead daughter
>Critics
>Rotten Tomatoes
>Paramount
>Henry Cavill's mustache

>Henry Cavill's mustache

This actually made me go see it so not this one

I'm only realizing just now that every DC 'Villain' since MoS has been a giant blob of disgustingly designed black horns and rivets

Maybe use an actual threatening Human Being for the villain next time? Oh wait, what next time?

I liked Steppenwolf's voice, but Zod is so far the best they've had.

It wasn’t shit. 6/10 - 7/10

She was literally 100% CGI motion capture, same as Steppenwolf

>JL WAS basically DC Avengers so there was nothing really to draw people in if the movie was perceived to be bad.

This. JL is pretty much the Avenger. Avenger got a pass on the same things JL is getting getting shat on for.

Apparently most people thought it was

Hulk looked dumb in Avengers 1 and it still got a pass.

Thanks to bs by idiots who began hating it before they even watched it, making it the movie to hate and to pile on. Group think is bad

Or maybe it was just shit

>A 62% score would have brought another 20M

you're delusional
and so is anyone who thinks RT impacts movies that much

>excuses
Fucking pathetic.

Dc cucks are still in denial

>Make the same shit 5 years later
>complains that people are not as excited as the first time

It didn't screw over WW. I wonder why.

But, user... that’s like every Marvel movie up until Thor Ragnarok

Nah, mid tier Marvel but definitely better than Thor the Dark World and Iron Man 2&3

wonder woman is trash and the feminist with pussy hats put bank in it. I do want it to win over Logan because that was also trash with a shit political message

Why the FUCK they didn't use Supes in the advertising is beyond me

>Fandango
the ticket sellers? What did THEY do?
WB is the Hillary Clinton of movie studios.

Because YASS QUEEN SLAY THE PATRIARCHY

to not spoil that he would be back :^)

They own Rotten Tomatoes.

I did not know that.

Because Nu-Ghostbuster

>site is owned by WB
>site bows to pressure not to release bad ratings that the movie earned by not being very good so that more people would have to see it uninformed and WB could profit from them doing so
>this is somehow being "screwed over"

Maybe they should have just made a better movie, starting with having someone in charge who doesn't think Batman being prison-raped and Superman accidentally ripping people's arms off while rescuing them is edgy and cool and realistic.

while i agree with the haters that the DC cinematic universe is shit so far, i also agree that americans are brainlets and let the filrm critics dictate their taste

that's how warcraft got screwed over, everyone who isn't american agrees that it's a god-tier movie, and yet it bombed in USA the land of brainlets while capeshit marvel garbage was a huge success

it's a shame honestly, a bunch of talentless soyboy numales who watch movies for a living dictate the taste of millions and control the fate of billion dollar projects

Ciaran Hinds.

They had Ciaran fucking Hinds and then reduced him to CGI with a voice-over.

This is like having prime Jackie Chan and forbidding him to do fight choreo or humour.

>done competently

trolledsoftly.jpg

>I'M A DKEK AND JUSTICE MEMES WAS GREAT! A MASTERPIECE!!!
>LOOK GUYS ROTTEN TOMATOES WITH HUNDRES AND HUNDREDS OR CRITICS IS WRONG!
>EVEN WHEN THE MOVIE IS THE BIGGEST FLOP IN DC'S HISTORY IT WAS KINO!

Fucking pathetic DCucks, everyone knows that your shitty universe is garbage, that Zack was nothing but a retard who made movies so bad that even his own daughter killed herself for that.

Enjoy being the joke of the cinema industry DCucks, meanwhile Marvel ALWAYS WINS.

>warcraft
Your wrong the movie went too fast it should have been longer and some of the actors were wrong for the roles. I still bought it though.

yeah, this is a problem with many modern movies, the pacing is just off. everything happens too fast, bladerunner being the exemplary exception

This movie is steaming garbage

>Forbes

Fury Road is paced perfectly, saw that movie twice in the theater and the second time felt no longer than the first. It gets a lot of shit but it earned that fucking Oscar for Editing

Yeah but normalfags just want to see the Superman and comicshits already know it's not the Justice League without Supes

WB is a minority share holder, shit goes on behind the scenes that they can’t even control

you're right, i can't coplain about the editing in fury road, what i didn't like about it was that there was too much mindless action and that mad max was turned into a grunting bufoon

>"it has to be some sort of conspiracy how could a bad movie get so many bad reviews??"

user are you stupid?

Glad you got that off your chest? Great! Now let’s go get a snow cone and ruminate on how awesome Dr.Strange is :-)

>Snyder
You mean whedon

Of course is much better than THIS.

While they can't give flat-out orders, the 1/3rd or so they do own gives them a hell of a lot of influence. The rating only went up as late as it did to protect WB, and RT clearly favoured WB by doing so.

JUSTice League

Awesome! Cherry or lime snow cone?

Is that poster official? Did they actually shoot a version with Superman or is it really good photoshop.

It’s not shit because it tried to be exactly like the Avengers (even literally hiring the same ((((director)))))
It just happens to be shit on top of that

>JL doesn't exist in a vacuum. Suicide Squad made money despite a worse score. So did BvS.
Jesus fucking christ this.

People are simply tired of paying to see shit so they skipped JL. Plus Thor3 gave all the popcornfags their super hero fix. DC has lost.
Releasing the RT rating at a normal time wouldn't have saved it, a better RT score wouldn't have saved it (See: BvS and SS). Wonder Woman being a "hit" didn't save it.

People just don't give a fuck about DC. They fucked up what was probably the easiest franchise in the world to do well with.

It was literally in every way Age of Ultron, cuck.

>implying the were all present for that poster

WB has majority on Fandango since last year

Quads of retardation.
People expected to hate Wonder Woman but it was still generally well liked

someone should put that duck tales music when superman is flying with that building.

>it's different so it must be good

Sup Forums has some flawless logic

No, this is completely Snyders fuck up. He's fucked up every single DC movie he's touched.
Whedon did a fine job making billion dollar disney capeshit

I think they got screwed by the decision to withhold the score, yes. but had they withheld it and it got a good score like what Wonder Woman got, it wouldn't have mattered.

I had had zero intention to go out and see it, but not only did the reviews saying it was better than BvS, and not as dark as the movies that preceded it peak my interest, but I saw other individuals who had felt the same as I did, admit to really enjoying JL, so come Friday night, I got out and paid to see it which is something I hadn't done for BvS or SS.

I read comics regularly and love superheroes as a genre. A movie doesn't need to be exceptional for me to go and see it. As long as it is not bad, I'm willing to give it a chance.

I don't think normies decide like I do. I think a lot dismissed it just because of the RT score, and those who didn't read the middling reviews the movie got that depicted it as mediocre at best, and horrible at worst, and chose to pass on it.

What? Warcraft was SHIT

>Hey DC, you could learn a thing or 2 from Marvel. They'll show you how it's done.
>REEEE YOU'RE COPYING!

t. american

Wait the Oscar for editing is meant to show the best paced picture of the year?

I think a lot of "normies" looked at the RT score, compared it to the other movies in the series, decided it wasn't something they wanted to see, and then passed on it.

It's not like the movie exists in a context-free zone. There are three other movies that are divisive at best before this, and one clear outlier that's actually pretty decent.

If WB/DC didn't insist on shitting the bed 4 times out of 5 people would give them the benefit of the doubt.

All they had to do was stich three decent-ish CW episodes together for each movie and they wouldn't be here. I'm actually kind of impressed at how badly they managed to fuck this all up given how good some of the source material and TV stuff (animated, mostly- the CW shows aren't great but usually manage to be entertaining at least) has been. But apparently they were having silo wars and trying to be different to the TV side of things because, you know, God forbid you do something that's already known to work.

Gonna be interesting to see how they leverage the pseudo clean slate they gave themselves with the ending.

you idiots actually think normies know the rotten tomatoes website even exists let alone influence people

youtubers have more weight to them than literally who websites

I think they meant competent filmmaking more than just copying the themes and aesthetic

Yeah. Studios and individuals involved in production have started screaming about the impact of RT because it is a literal who site no one checks?

go bring the rotten tomatoes' traffic

I guarantee you is less than 2 millino

Yep, DCucks can't claim Suicide Squad as a success and then say it's RT's fault the League failed.

Serious question:

Is Forbes in WB's pocket? Them, along with Variety seem to think that every turd that WB puts out can do no wrong. It's bizarre.

I think it has some influence, but a hell of a lot more than Sup Forums likes to make out.

The big problem WB/DC has isn't Rotten Tomatoes, it's that critics are generally advising people not to see their movie or rating them at less than 3 stars. Why are the critics doing that? Because, well... the movies aren't very good, and they've used up any store of good will that might exist.

RT just aggregates those scores.

you forgot

>The public

Bunch of ingrate plebs who don't appreciate Snyderkino

>more

I need coffee.

I mean that Sup Forums loves to meme on Rotten Tomatoes but that it has a hell of a lot less influence than is claimed, especially in DC threads.

But people that make videos on youtube do! I they copy RT and so the normies get the same shit anyaway....

Rotton Tomatoes is partially owned by Warner Bros

I'm not even going to pretend to know where to do that.
alexa.com/siteinfo/rottentomatoes.com
That suggests that of all the sites on the internet that RT is estimated to be ranked at the 143rd most popular, so it's certainly nothing to sneeze at in my book.

What role could Brendan Frasier have in dc

Why do you get so angry when people don't like a film?

>stop having opinions that aren't mine!

>political message
Don't kill muties?

>It's another "Retard on Sup Forums doesn't know how rotten tomatoes works" episode
The average score for Justice League is a 5.3/10, which is definitely fair.

A B+ at cinemascore isn't really good though. Any basic crowdpleaser gets an A over there. People have to actively not want to vote or severely vote enough to counter the A range voters to bring it down

>After the opening weekend is a disaster they decide to add Superman to promotional stuff

kek

>DCucks are so pathetic they're actually blaming Rotten Tomatoes for Justice League failing, when BvS and Suicide Squad both made decent money despite even lower scores

Not angry upset that people judge something before seeing it and are hypocritical to the things they don’t like about it when they give a pass to the same mistakes and flaws in Marvel films.

>stop liking thing I don’t like!

I mean, I don't think RT has a direct correlation on box office, but it's at the point where RT ratings get mentioned in TV commercials if it's really high and DVDs for movies that did well there get sold with a sticker on it saying "Certified Fresh" so everybody knows it. That kind of shows that there is enough people that know about it that doing things like that is considered as some kind of boost