youtube.com/watch?v=DlbTHaVPbaU
youtube.com/watch?v=kPjpu3GQTjY
youtube.com/watch?v=k50JX8UOp6E
youtube.com/watch?v=3Xq0T3N0Lr8
youtube.com/watch?v=eUr_I_bUpG0
youtube.com/watch?v=w9so5VtHZKM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Officially better than Iron Fist.

My grandfather really liked it. I don't know anyone else that did.

It is very much a show of its generation
I liked it, but the show itself had its ups and downs

shoo shoo

Lana lang sucked.

... Um, the Legion Founders had a guest appearance. That was pretty cool.

Not gonna lie, the first three season were really important to me. They still have a special place in my heart.

There were some amusing bits, and it did have a very good Lex in the early seasons.

It's alright. Had its ups and downs .Hung onto Lana for longer than it should have. Lex was based

I was but a wee little lad when this show was on.

dat Chloe

it was pretty bad

First 4 seasons were god tier

5-8 were comfy tier

the last few were a slog

Lex was meh

Lionel was choice

but also Chloe

The show didn't age too well
Then again, it's a victim of its time more than anything

that, and being a pretty bad concept to begin with

>5-8 were comfy tier

>the last few were a slog

I would swap these opinions

>Chloe and not perfect wife, Lois
You have poor taste

can you guys elaborate? a lot of old shows are dated, what makes this different?

I loved it. Although it seemed to get a bit crazy around season 4. Kryptonite-enhanced vampire sorority? Come on.
Also: Didn't Clark never finish college? Wtf?

The CG they used for the powers

>Clark, our friendship means so much to me.
>I really value our friendship, Clark.
>Your friendship is what saves me, Clark.
>I would never do anything to hurt our friendship, Clark.
>If you think there is something wrong with our friendship, tell me.
>Let's talk, Clark; we're friends, that's what friendship means
That was pretty much ALL of Lex's dialogue during the first few seasons.

It was pretty good, excluding the fact that Kryptonite was so common that Clark couldn't fart without tripping over a hunk of the shit.
Why did Clark even have to hide the fact he was hurt by "meteor rocks" anyway? Every other person had some weird condition caused by the rocks, why can't he just say "Oh yeah, I was mutated by those rocks, too; it just hurts me instead of giving me powers."

>perfect wife, Lois

>LEX! What ridiculous evil have you done this time?
>Well hello to you too, Clark. No please, just barge right into my home and accuse me of something because some guy's brother's pal's uncle's sister said I did it

How Lex put up with that shit for so long I'll never understand

Also OP Smallville is the GOAT superhero show. Not that the standard is particularly high, but nevertheless.

Because the whole point was that Clark wanted everyone to see him as a totally normal human being

Smallville didn't have an over-arching plot thread until the last 4 or so seasons. Before that it's literally a freak-of-the-week show. The show might as well be a cartoon or anthology show for all that matters.
You can also kinda see how the fashion of the show changed over time.

It's also the last show I remember that had an opening theme that's actually a song that got released on a CD

What's not to love; she's confident, has a closet full of sex costumes and is practically gagging for supercock

Normal humans have allergies. But I get what you're saying.

Because Lex was behind it every single time, except when it was Lionel

I will make it my mission to try and upload the entire series to a video site and make it available to you all. If I can put the first season of Powers up there, I can do this series.

It was great. It was also horrible. Sort of like the Cerebus of cape TV.

It was around the third episode I realized it was about superman.

she's not Chloe but she's around Chloe

it's like eating shit when there's a guy next to you eating a fine three-course meal

Ok

Both of the Luthors were so duplicitous in that show, it was so engaging. In the end, I STILL couldn't tell if Lionel was really a bad guy or not.

It had a lot of highs, and a fair amount of mediums, but some really dire lows.

But the former two aspects really do help keep the show afloat.
And at its best, it was this insane mixture of early 00's teen stylisms and silver age goofiness.
I mean, Silver Kryptonite.

It did get a bit ridiculous when the EVEN MORE CALLOUS Earth 3 Lionel starts to feel paternal toward Lex and makes a deal with the devil, so to
speak.

This. That was always pretty cool.

I remember Erica Durance being a pretty good Lois, though wasted on the show.

Depends on how you see wasted.
In terms of role in plots? I guess.

But her dynamic and scenes with Clark were almost always great. Even in the 10th seasons. She and Clark made it.

Where are Martian Manhunter and the Flash?

If Absolute Justice is how Johns do live-action, we might be in for a wild ride

>If Absolute Justice is how Johns do live-action

See: CW's The Flash

Wasn't that Impulse?

Oh yeah. It shows.
I'm surprised we haven't have that GAYEST RUNNING yet

Well it's at least what he does on a small budget. I remember he said that they didn't have enough money to have Lightning Lad shoot lightning in the LoSH episode.

Yeah, he was Impulse.
But he fulfills the role of the Flash.

I've always liked "that scene where Clark and Lionel switch bodies back" more.

Funny thing, I remember Smallville by the plot, like the episode with the vampires or red krypotnite or Alicia ;_; over moments like the gay run
Whereas Arrowverse is more memorable with the moments, like CHOOOOSE or Barry running around things and basically the attraction of LoT, fun moments

I suppose this goes back to , how cape shows have changed over time

I think it's because Smallville was so much better at being episodic.
It had "episodes" not moments.

Like the episode when Perry White shows up.
Fucking great too.

I cringed whenever she was on screen. Chole, Lois, Tess and Martha were the only female characters I could stand.

It had to give the writers credit on that. Even with all the information at hand as the viewer, it still couldn't be said whether or not the Luthors were truly evil. They did bad shit, they admitted that they do bad shit, but it was written in such a way that I couldn't quite condemn them.

And I wish they had just killed off Lana instead of doing the obvious fake-out with her death. Lana really started holding that show back after she and Clark couldn't make it work the last time.

Watching the heat vision episode while going through puberty was strange

I watched all of Smallville, and there is a lot of crap, but if you boiled it all out, there would be about 2 season worth of genuinely good superhero show

Eventually, once they got out of all the teen drama every episode.

If you could edit down the ten seasons into say 5 years, you would actually have a really good show. What dates it the most is what's going to date any show that relies on SF or genre/fantasy effects - that those will seem dated (see BSG in about 3-5 more years, for example).

Has anyone made a list of the good or necessary episodes to watch each season in order to follow the plot and enjoy the good moments without as much of the drudgery?

Yes. This one user did once.
But I can't say anyone saved it.

Damn, that kinda sucks then.

Honestly, just look up synopsises and play it by ear of interest.
The plots only come to a head in the last stretch of episodes each season, so if an episode sounds interesting give it a go.

Hey guys, it's me; best girl, Chloe. You'll love it when I leave my husband and friends to clean up Doomsday's serial murders. In the end my husband will die because of it, but I sure do have a nice smile. And then marry a real man.

it works like this: Lionel is worth watching, Lana is not and anyway she leaves in like season 4, Pete is boring and seriously at risk of dementia from all the times he gets hit on the head, meteor rocks

if hearing the words "meteor rocks" bothers you, don't bother with this show

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in Smallville High, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on LexCorp, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top reporter in the entire highschool paper. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire collection of meteor rocks and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

This is great, rating from Lana to Chloe, this breaks the ranks and lands in at a full Lois.

I'd add watch all Pa Kent moments

Name any hit alternative rock song from the late 90's to early 00's. More than likely it was in this show at some point.

This; after about season 4 or 5 I was just hoping every next episode Lana would go and stay go

I don't subscribe to waifu faggotry, but if I did, Chloe would be a part of it.

The best kind of villain

Take away lana lang and it would go up 10 pointa in my book.

It was an okay show, nothing special. VERY 00s.

youtube.com/watch?v=kGKdGeuORos

What did the early 2000's mean by this?

The same thing it meant by this
youtube.com/watch?v=-hXT2HA-GFY

There's actually some funny backstory that the head of the WB at that point wanted the network to start advertising their other media departments on their shows...which naturally included music.
It's why every show in that era ended with "music provided by this album" adverts.

Y'all are definitely right about Lana, but she was so lame and played out that those moments where Clark started to get over Lana and look to Lois were felt so vindicating.

hell yes

Back then it was cool

Everything about Lois felt vindicating.
At that point the show had fallen into a huge rut, with killing off Chloe (for the first time) being this big thing...but she's what sold the new direction there.

All brash, bold, and well...Lois.
It felt like a step.

youtube.com/watch?v=tlm4sEAu0Rc
(and my god the fucking music)

I always found it hilarious early in the show when they were too scared to have superheroes in costumes, so they just gave everyone brightly colored hoodies. But then later on, they just said "fuck it" and had Stargirl, Hawkman, and Dr. Fate show up in full costume.

Speaking of music in Smallville, I really admire what they did with music. Rag on it for being dated all you want, but it fit and I feel like it added something.

youtube.com/watch?v=DlbTHaVPbaU

youtube.com/watch?v=kPjpu3GQTjY

Yeah, that was definitely Johns's doing.
I always felt that costumes or not, the greater DCU aspects were never handled very well and dragged stuff down. Even if some characters were acted well.

Definitely.
I find it just...a layer of camp that wasn't expected. Here's my favorite use of music in the show.
youtube.com/watch?v=k50JX8UOp6E

smallville music cues are the funniest thing. 00s time capsule.

anyway best Lois is best

That scene really doesn't seem that gay.

youtube.com/watch?v=3Xq0T3N0Lr8

This needs a "Its Raining Men" edit

youtube.com/watch?v=eUr_I_bUpG0

When they started making it, they didn't own the rights to Superboy (which didn't come back to WB until 2005), so they couldn't put "Young Superman, Clark Kent" in the suit or have those kind of traditional superhero adventures with him.

But yeah, they only even made Smallville because a pitch for a young Bruce Wayne show (called "Bruce Wayne") got turned down. How times change.

You know what's weird, both TV Olivers ended up with blonde hackers and not Black Canary.

It's funny how in some countries the show was still marketed as "Smallville: The Adventures of Superboy" haha.

And Gotham really ended up being a good spiritual companion show to Smallville. But better.

>blonde hacker chick dating green arrow will never be done better than smallville
feels good man

Tbh I think the concept could have worked really well if they had

a) planned ahead, at least broadly, and not just "no flights, no tights, we're making it up as we go" and

b) stopped at a reasonable time. Clark graduates? Perfect - he should move out of Smallville, finish college, explore the world, all the things he did in canon before going to Perry and the DP.

If you want to continue, rebrand it as "Metropolis" and have it be the adventures of 20-something learning-the-ropes Clark. Not this bullshit where he takes 10 seasons to put on the costume and by that point has already fought his entire rogue's gallery including fucking Darkseid and Apokolips itself.

It helps that Green Arrow was more lively and all around better acted and written in Smallville.

youtube.com/watch?v=w9so5VtHZKM

He stopped putting up with it around S5, IIRC.

S5-6 was a lot of barely-masked enmity whenever he shared a scene with Clark. By 7 he was a full-blown villain.

I liked the progression, it felt pretty organic - it wasn't one huge climactic moment that pushed him to villainy, but his own flaws and insecurities piling up to the point where his obsession with Clark's secrets and love for Lana destroyed his relationship with both.

It's surprisingly dramatically satisfying for a show that never aimed for nor approached art.

When I was 11 years old watching the first couple seasons, it was the greatest thing I had ever seen. Then by season 4 it sucked, so I stopped watching.

WRONG.

I should probably rewatch those early season, but I'm afraid the prime time TV production value will be off putting.

I have to agree that him finally going all out was a nice touch.

And while it may have been a cheap way of trying to make things full circle, his resurrection in the finale was well scoped out.

Because those types of shows rely on at least one of these types of "roll with it." Like how in Arrow, nobody makes the connection between a billionaire coming back (AFTER FIVE YEARS STRANDED ON AN ISLAND WITH ONLY ONE GOAL: SURVIVE) and a vigilante starting to kill people with expensive-ass arrows literally tomorrow.

My brother and I still watch Supernatural (it's a ritual at this point more than enjoyment, although the last two seasons were pretty good), and we joke all the time about shit like that. "Why wouldn't Dean call for backup? Why don't they use [X artifact that could save the day]?" etc.

You just gotta go with 'everyone's an idiot in TV land'.

When I was 12 I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Now I even dread rewatching it. I just might though.

>By 7 he was a full-blown villain.
Shit, I'd say he was a full blown villain around the time he started torturing aquatic superheroes by withholding water, way back in season 5.

I have to believe the writers realized this.

I mean, her exit was so over-the-top it HAS to be intentional. They made her literally poisonous for Clark to be around. She has to leave or he will physically die. They will never, under any circumstances, be able to see each other again, let alone date. She's technically alive, but as far as the viewer/Clark cares, she might as well not be.

It's a fucking brutal way to kill a ship, and I loved it for that.

I did a rewatch last year and yeah some episodes are pretty fucking bad.

But I think that most episodes, if you remember them being really cool...kinda hold up in a nice cheesy way.
Like the Perry White episode.

I stopped watching when Clark got trapped in the phantom zone. I just outgrew it, and then later learned it gone on for 10 seasons and most of it looked really bad. I really liked season 2.

How could anyone hate on this scene? It's brilliant.

There's varying opinions, but the first three are the most solid in that they wanted to make a Superboy show in the teen show mold, and they made a Superboy show in the teen show mold.

4-8 are pretty bad for seasonal plots, but have quite a few good/fun episodes in each season. Just the main plots are awful.

9-10...eh. I was watching for Lois and Clark being in full relationship mode and it didn't disappoint there, but it did everywhere else.

I'm doing a rewatch, I'm early in the third season at this point, and the one thing that bugs me is Helen fucking Bryce.

Like, if you think about it, her being murderous makes no sense. She and Lex met by accident, and she was very cold throughout the episode - if he had been a smidge less persistent, they wouldn't have ended up together. If she's a black widow, she's a shitty one.

Or, if she just decided halfway through to kill him for the money, why was it not foreshadowed at all? Having a wholesome, helpful doctor character go homicidal with zero clues beforehand makes no sense.

The first four seasons should have been two, max.

5-8 are just odd and awkward and could be avoided.

9-10 should have been one nice send-off season.

It's weird to see this thread and read all these relatively positive posts about Smallville. I remember going through tons of other forums and blogs I went to over the years, and whether or not they were fans of Superman, most of them thought Smallville was dumb and poorly written.