Okay, redpill me on Movie Pass Sup Forums

Okay, redpill me on Movie Pass Sup Forums

Anyone have it? Whats it like?

I'm EXTREMELY intrigued by it (it's only $6.95/mo. for a limited time) but everything about it screams scam. It feels way too good to be true

Other urls found in this thread:

cnet.com/news/moviepass-ceo-mitch-lowe-interview-amc/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump for interest need more kino in my life boys

amc isnt honoring it

its only $6.95/month if you pay it annually.

I've had it for a few months. Works just fine, though the app is kinda garbage and you have to be at the box office, you can't book ahead of time if you're more than 100 yards away from ticket stand. No IMAX, no 3D or premium screens, 2D only, 1 per calendar day.

Yeah, my cousin told me to get this shit. Like what is exactly is the catch here.

>Unlimited $89.95 per year

>Annual Plan — Pay $89.95 today — $6.95 a month for twelve months, plus a $6.55 processing fee. Once your year is up, your plan will convert back into your $9.95 a month. Offer valid until it’s not. Limit two per household.

My local theater supports it. Took forever to get my card, but the service has been flawless.

Don't get it. Theaters will start rejecting it and you'll be out the money either way.

fuck off shills

Still though, 1 movie every day. Even if I buy a 1 month at 10 bucks/month, I could theoretically watch 30 movies for 10 bucks

Exactly how does that work without the company losing a colossal amount of money?

They physically can't since it's just a regular mastercard.
The only way they can block it is to block mastercard.
For a big city it's a no-brainer since tickets cost $15 here. If I lived in a small town again it would be stupid, since tickets are only $3-$5 on the right day.

How can they reject if it works like a credit card? They literally send you a mastercard. They would have to reject them entirely and they're not going to reject mastercard. You're supposed to go to a kiosk not the windows just in case for that reason anyway because of AMC. The thing that's shit is having to be there right before it starts. You should be able to pick advanced shows but then it wouldn't work like it does.
Remember Redbox was a scam too and Netflix when it came out.

They make more on the datamining than they do on the fee.
They see that normalfag A liked trailer B on facebook, then try and establish a connection between what movies you like and what you go to see.

Plus they're operating at a loss hoping the novelty will die down. Which it has, I haven't even gone to see a movie once this month.

How do you stay such an ignorant bastard. Look up the founder and who it is and then maybe shut up.
Do you fucking think Netflix and Redbox were different?

You can't it's $89.95 per year. That's it. there's no buy for one month and maybe stop. Its $89.85 to get a pass.

That's the catch.

heres the redpill

this is obvious and blatant shilling

Yeah, but I could easily spend twice that seeing every movie I want to in a year.

>not paying a premium for the Arclight Dome in Hollywood to avoid low class faggots who come late and text.

I'm still paying monthly, not sure if that's just because I'm grandfathered in or what.
Of course, I'm paying $120 a year at that point. Not that I think it'll stay afloat that long.

The catch is it takes two months just to get the card.
And that movies suck dick. Once the initial cool factor dies you realize there is nothing worth watching in theaters.

It's legit, here's mine. I wouldn't pay for a full year since I don't know if theatres are going to stop honoring it out of the blue but the monthly is only $10. As far as whether or not that's worth it, I would say it depends on your taste and location. If you live in a major city where there are a significant number of art theatres, independent theatres, 15+ screen megaplexes etc then I would say definitely (given that one ticket alone is like $15). I currently see about 5-10 films a month and I never watch capeshit or anything like that. If you live somewhere where there are only a few theatres in your area and they only show major releases, then maybe not, unless you really enjoy mainstream shit. You can check the Moviepass website to find out which theatres in your area participate in the program.

It's a motherfucking godsend if you date.
I was driving myself into the poorhouse paying for dinner and movies with my qt trap bf.
Theater nearby even has those reclining seats, if you sit in the back you can blow each other and nobody notices.

Where are you guys getting the 10 a month plan? I'm on Moviepass right now and the only option is the yearly thing, which no fucking way I want to sing up for.

There is no billed month-by-month plan

AMC doesn't want to honor it, but it still works there if you buy it at the kiosk.

I got it as soon as the price went to $10 a month in like August. Took me till early October to get my card though.

They fucked up big so the people who ordered it earliest got it the latest.
Still takes forever though, didn't get mine for three weeks.

uh, negro, its intentional.

now go through the movies that were in theaters this year. the dates they ran, and tell me how many movies you would actually see
You'll find that in reality you would only see almost the exact price you paid for your movie pass if you'd paid the normal price. 'I didn't really lose money then', you would say. But you only actually saw half of those movies because you had too.. you're basically insuring that you'll see 10 movies a year and lose the option to just not see them if you don't feel like it.

I sent in an email to support in early September complaining about being charged when I hadn't gotten the service, and once I had activated my card in November they refunded me for the first two months.

Again, customer service is ass and takes months, but the service is decent when they get around to it.

/biz/ here guys.

This is how it works: they lose money if you go to the movies more than like twice a month. This is fine right now because they are staying alive from outside money. They have to raise their prices to survive. Right now this is all about collecting enough data to see how much you people will go to the movies to price the service. If you guys go to the movies too much than the service is not viable.

Basically they will have to raise prices, but because they are surviving now from investor money if that pulls they fold quick!

tldr: don't pay them for a year of service, stay month to month

Its intentional, its literally a ponzi scheme

No, I mean the people who ordered it day one didn't get it until weeks after the people who ordered it day two.
I order mine a week after that guy and I got it way before him too.
Something about the original card distributor telling them to fuck off after they realized how high the volume was going to be.

>/biz/

the people who told everyone to sell their bitcoins cause they weren't going to go over $100/$1000

Did anything I say that you disagree with then spit it out, otherwise shut your lip.

worse
/biz/ are the people who listened to those people and then bought dogecoin in a feeble attempt to not miss the next boat.

He's right though.

Yeah they are, they can't stop you from using it since it's just a Mastercard. What they're trying to do is prevent people from accumulating Stubs Premiere points when they swipe the card. They can only do this if you buy your ticket at the box office. If you go to a kiosk, there's nothing they can do.

$20 Australian edition when

I just got mine, it took like 8 days to get to me. Inwouldnt doubt if they raise the price of it within the year

its a ponzi scheme, there's no legitimacy here. The idea they're going to sell data is bullshit, their entire model is about shilling and getting as many people to sign up (without cards) as possible.

That word doesn't mean what you think it does.
It's a sketchy business model for sure, but a ponzi scheme is a very specific category of fraud. It's where you constantly get investments to pay back people you owe, and then when you owe the next people you get more investments, and then when you owe them you get more investments, and then...

They aren't making money, and if they were it isn't in the way you think they are. But that doesn't make it a poniz scheme.

/biz/ here again

It is by definition not a ponzi scheme. It is just a bad business that is losing the money of investors and not bringing in enough revenue. Lot of them out there. There is a reason these types of investments aren't available to non-accredited investors.

this is true
of course there's also the option for re-watches. Does it work with buying multiple tickets?

its ponzi in the sense its taking money from people (you) and giving it to theaters, when signups slow down they're going to cut and run.

You can see the same movie every day, if that's what you mean.
I "saw" BR every day it was out (paid for the ticket and then walked away)

But like, could you use moviepass to pay for tickets for multiple people at once?
this is just hypothetical as nobody from Sup Forums actually goes to the cinema with people

That's not a ponzi scheme.
A ticket, or even a pass for tickets, is not an investment.
I am not expecting any return on my purchase in the form of an investment, so by definition nothing moviepass does to me can be a ponzi scheme.

You can't just use real words any way you like, user.

No, you can only purchase one ticket per day.
I pay for both mine and my qt trap bf's pass. Still monumentally cheaper than spending $35 plus tax twice a week.

You're quibbling hardcore on the definition of investment in order to claim this isn't a ponzi scheme.

Only a shill would do that.

So it ten bucks instead of ten thousand, its an investment, its a bottom-feeding ponzi scheme.

You really have no idea what a ponzi scheme is

The amount of money isn't what defines a ponzi scheme, friend.
A ponzi scheme is when a company (under the guise of legitimacy), accepts investments and promises a return on these investments.
Which they deliver, but only by taking other peoples' investments to cover them.
And then they cover those investments by taking other investments.
And then they cover those by...etc

Make no mistake, moviepass will go under and leave you without recourse if you buy the yearly pass. It's unsustainable, and it's obviously not intended to be. So call it that, but don't be a retard.

the practice is what defines a ponzi scheme, friend. The amounts are irrelevant.

That's what I said.
When I go see a movie, I am not getting a return on my $10. Moviepass is not taking other peoples' $10 to pay to me (with interest), and then taking other peoples' $10 to pay them ad infinitum.

Movies are not a return on investment, nor can moviepass take my watching a movie to pay their other debts. That's not what ponzi scheme means.

Moviepass is a house of cards. It's not so much a company as it is a giant market experiment, I'm sure.
But as the customer this has no bearing on you. That's between moviepass and the actual investors.

So you aren't getting a ticket to a movie? You aren't getting something of equal or greater value than the investment?

Its a ponzi scheme son, why are you quibbling so hardcore on this?

I canceled, but found out you can't join for nine months if you cancel

Interview with the CEO. Truly /ourguy/ standing up to the elite kino horders.
cnet.com/news/moviepass-ceo-mitch-lowe-interview-amc/

That's not what investment means. Purchasing an immediately consumable product is not an investment.
I don't have a moviepass in the interest of creating future wealth. Going to see Capeshit: Dawn of Justice does not return my investment in any meanignful capacity.

So if I'm not investing anything, and I'm not getting any return, then how can they be shuffling my investments to pay other peoples' returns? They can't, because that isn't what a ponzi scheme is.
What you've described is just regular, vanilla business.

Let me be clear: moviepass is not paying its actual investors back (the ones paying for their losses), and has no intention to. But the investors know this, and there is a reason they're doing it. It's intentionally doomed.

I was skeptical, but I got mine a few weeks ago and it works great. I thought it was gonna be a pain to use, but you literally use it just like a credit card.

At least for me, it worth it. I live in NYC so a ticket is gonna run me 12-16 bucks just for the standard viewing. Using the card once to see Thor (a $16 ticket) means the card already paid for itself. I've seen 3 movies already this month (thor, br2049, and justice league) which is way more than I usually watch in the theater in a whole year since I usually just wait for a torrent.

Overrall though, I dont really see how this is sustainable for the company in the long term, but I'm using it as much as possible before they up the price to a stupid amount or just completely shut down.

>quibbling on the definition of investment in order to feebly attempt to argue this isn't a ponzi scheme

They're going to get as many signups as they can, there's going to be a point where they won't have enough to pay theaters, so they'll keep what they have and cut and run.

Tell you what user, it's more than legit, it's fucking messianic for me.

I live in New York City. Movie tickets, nighttime especially, cost more than the price of the card itself(at least $12, if you're lucky). It literally pays for itself after one movie, here. And here, you've got all the arthouse movies which also take it.

I really hope though the day doesn't come where they fully go and cuck us, but that's always the fate of these top tier services.

Cutting and running doesn't make a ponzi scheme. That's not what defines a ponzi scheme.
An unsustainable business model isn't a ponzi scheme.

If you open up a restaurant when you know you damn well don't have the customer base to support yourself for more than a year, you aren't committing fraud when your business tanks. Your customers aren't getting snared in because they bought food from you (the money from which you used to buy more food for the next customers). Eating into your savings doesn't mean you're a ponzi scheme.

Even if you're a failed investor, that doesn't make it a ponzi scheme. A ponzi scheme necessarily revolves around the lack of a real investment opportunity (even if you sell it as such). That doesn't apply here.

This is how I feel. I've been seeing at least 3 films a month whose base cost is more than that of a month of the card. I also have a horde of rewards points now. Inevitably the prices will rise or the service will go under, but I'm on a monthly plan and can cancel. I'm going to milk this for all it's worth while I can.

user you're in NYC too, and all you're seeing is the mainstream garbage with this? Good God dude, we've got advance releases that work with it(saw Lady Bird with it about 10 days ago), we've got the arthouse cinemas. Get out and taste the kino while you can.

I work at a movie theater that accepts these.
Sometimes they come with a credit card kind of thing. I like to fuck with people when we aren't busy and say that their card hasn't been set-up correctly (but just decline the transaction on my end) and watch them get bummed out and have to pay normal ticket price.
Usually only to beta guys who come in by themselves without a girlfriend.

Aw fuck man, I was too much of a dumbass to realize until now you could use it to stockpile rewards points

A ponzi scheme is taking money from one group, giving it to another, to take money from another group, to give to the first.

I really don't know why you're so desperate to try to argue this is not a ponzi scheme. Unless, like is pointed out in every one of these threads, you're a shill working for the company advertising here to get as many signups as possible.

So I'll repeat then, is a failing restaurant a ponzi scheme in your eyes?
Does every business have to be 100% guaranteed sustainable not to be fraudulent?

And I'm a fucking econ major, this pisses me off more than when people say something has "diminishing returns" or that it "increased exponentially". Use words right damn it.

What arthouse cinemas would you recommend? Ive only ever been to stuff like regal and amc

Basically what he said. I see movies with my brother a few times a month, and he really likes his movie pass.

I've had a pass since August and already am approaching a diamond level member at Regal. The rewards I'll be able to afford will have paid for the moviepass subscription fee in another month or 2.

So you're admitting you're a shill... and you keep dropping this pure quibble arguments to try to confuse people into thinking this isn't a ponzi scheme.

how much does it cost to get Sup Forums mods to let you shill here?

Well I'm in Manhattan, so your options outside of that are probably more scarce. City cinemas branches sometimes show interesting things. The Quad is a small place with a more bar-like feel going, and they show some more obscure things than CC. If you're looking for a more stereotypical, arthouse kind of vibe, the IFC Center by Washington Square Park is good for that. They also show some older movies, and that could be really cool.

Is there still a way to sign up for monthly instead of yearly? Since this is unlimited, could you use it multiple times per showing? Like bringing more than one person?

Idk whether they are still offering monthly deals, but you can only use it for one ticket to one film per day, no 3D showings, and you can only see each movie once (tracked via the app). You can, however, "sign in" for a different movie with a roughly equivalent showtime and then just pay for a ticket to a film you've already seen, provided the tickets are the same price.

I think the monthly option is gone for good (although after the first year you get converted to monthly) and you can only use it once a day so you can't pay for friends or anything like that

Answer me or as far as I'm aware you're just an AMC shill.

Is a restaurant that knows damn well it's going to fail a ponzi scheme? If they're eating into their savings every month and their upkeep costs are 10x their revenue, are they a ponzi scheme?
It's shitty and you probably shouldn't buy a giftcard there, since it's not gonna last forever. But that doesn't make it fraud.
This isn't just quibble, and it isn't just nomenclature. At its very core, unsustainability is not inherently malicious.

Moviepass will fail. Do not even attempt to buy the shitty yearly pass if you have a brain. But also don't be a retard, calling it a pyramid scheme would be just as accurate (that is, not at all).

I'm confused, does this include admission to iMax or Dolby vision theaters?

Nope, only regular shit, no 3D or 4DX or whatever.

Oh fuck that

have been using the service since 2015 ($35/mo at the time, went up to $45/mo in 2016) and i was able to reach my goal of 100 films in the theatre in 1 year. it was a life saver. is there bugs? hell yes. back then you could call them and shit would get resolved fast. now, not so much. its getting better to back to where it was, but if you see 2+ films a month, or if where you live tickets are fucking expensive (12.99 matinee and 14+ evening show where i live) its more than a life saver. when it went to 9.99 i almost cried. gets my recommendation.

This
I see a movie at least twice a week

>no option to pay month-by-month
>only plan is yearly

Nah fuck that

>tfw glorious month to month masterrace

you idiot. they're doing month to month but IFFF you want to do a yearly thing, its available.

In a few years 90% of people will be using this and no one will pay for movies the old fashion way.

So what happens then? When Netflix did this it killed the video rental industry. But theaters are making plenty from this so it's not hurting them.

Maybe it will kill the 3D gimmick movies but they've been dying ever since the Avatar hype wore down.

>They make more on the datamining than they do on the fee.
that's the plan, not yet the reality

If they're still a company in 6 months or haven't jacked their prices to $60/month, we'll know they succeeded I guess.

>Plus they're operating at a loss hoping the novelty will die down. Which it has, I haven't even gone to see a movie once this month.

Yeah, watching movies at half price is such a novelty. It was fun last month but i'm a month oldler and don't think i'll ever go to the theater again now.

The only plan available right now is the yearly. That might change again, but as of right now the only option I see is the $90 one

Ladies and gentlemen, your Moviepass founders. It's up to the black race to save kino.

They could just have a more expensive tier with access to 3D.

Funny, I always imagined that some rebellious Hollywood Jews founded moviepass

It's one of those things that sounds cool, but you burn out fast.
Of the 30 something movies I've seen with it, 20 were an absolute waste of my time, 5 would've been fine to watch on my TV at home, and all but 1 were forgettable trash.

Plus fuck watching the same 6 previews over and over.

I could easily pay $20 a month for the service. Hell, I would probably pay $25 (with 3D included.) $30 is where I would need to see some additional benefit (a streaming service, some free concessions etc) to stay subscribed.

>they removed the month to month
>can only do the $90/year plan

kek the downward spiral is already happening

only if you were late to the party.
bet you also missed the bitcoin train.

I tried using it at a small local indie theater earlier to see Florida Project and it wouldn't work. They have some old ass credit machine that doesn't recognize the card.

They told me to keep the receipt and show it to Moviepass support and they'll refund me. Pain in the ass though, only theater in town that actually plays good movies.

>reddit spacing
How retarded are you?