Anyone ever see Beyond the black rainbow?

Anyone ever see Beyond the black rainbow?
what the fuck was the writer on?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ztaZo-qsrTE
youtube.com/watch?v=zyZiiq2Up5w
youtube.com/watch?v=0sUIxXCCFWw
youtube.com/watch?v=SH-o7edhqss
youtube.com/watch?v=SG8ffpDC7W8
youtube.com/watch?v=7Db7CwKwOd4
youtube.com/watch?v=uioMrkZ4Hq0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the director said something along the lines of he dreamed it up as a kid by looking at the posters of movies he wasn't allowed to watch and trying to imagine what kinds of images they were full of

i enjoyed watching it, the first 2/3rds was great.

Modern day cult classic

Was there a plot? I was fairly confused watching it

i totally forgot about the plot of this one

it isn't like that baseline test from Blade Runner 2049?

i liekd the movie because of the cinematography .
it was like looking at paintings.
the plot was irrelevant and stupid adn the ending was a slap in the face for whoever paying attention

Gnosticism

i love explaining the plot to this movie

so the guy observing the girl throughout the movie, (Barry) was the assistant to Doctor Arboria himself, who you may have gathered is the old man whom Barry medicates.

Dr. Arboria was doing research into something like immersive sensory deprivation therapy combined with experimental psychoactive drugs. When the movie flashes back to the 60's, Barry takes the drug, immerses in the tank and is horrifically, psychically broken down and then reassembled again. Arboria discovers that his therapy actually leads to some kind of power, so he immediately doses his infant daughter and plungers her in the tank.

Now a bit of what I said is inferred for dramatic flair--we don't know HOW Arboria measured Barry's exposure to whatever broke him down, but we know he tosses his baby in the tank immediately after.

Whatever force corrupted Barry puts the girl (Elena) back together with psychic powers, and she grows up in the facility being poked and prodded and possibly having some of her DNA commodified as a product. Maybe.

The latter portion of the film is rife with symbolism and iconography; the pulsating triangle, Cyborgs and even the weird ending where berry bonks his head on a stone have some philosophical or analytical subtext.

This movie makes me really sleepy for some reason but in a good way. I think this genre called sleepcore?

It has a terrible score on IMDb. I never bothered watching.

I checked boiled potatoes before we watched it. Though it was interesting at least

Could you go into some more detail on the philosophical subtext? Go all-out please, I don't need training wheels

why are you glossing over how, once outside of the facility, they lose all abilities?

Fell asleep when i tried to watch this junk. I always like research facility movies but this one is just terrible.

There is literally no cohesive narrative or reason for the scenes in this movie to be put together the way that they are.

The "story," if you can call it that makes sense on the most abstract level, but when subjected to any form of scrutiny (most notably the question "why") it fails as a film.

The first half of the movie is very pretty though. The director could do well in production design.

what are some others you recommend. I love those types too

i watched this while on 10mg lorazepam it was a good time

I only found out about this while trying to research Black Rainbow, which was a Nazi Germany conspiracy intending to create an airborne hallucinogen undetectable by sight or smell.

Good movie but the ending sucked.

That's a fatal dose dude.

For anyone who doesn't get it

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ztaZo-qsrTE

Your welcome

only if your a pusy

Shit film
good visuals

No it isn't

>sr8 edge bitch talking shit because he don't got the balls to hit them dosages

get the fuck out of here before I make you ;)

this isn't a good movie but rather a neat slideshow of pretty visuals

Ever since I saw The Void I'm convinced this is a prequel to it. It's too damn weird and lovecraftian NOT to be.

cube
thx 1138

>Shit film
Absolutely wrong. It only goes to shit in its climax, and turns into a generic slasher. Everything preceding is great, real worthwhile cinema coming from a director's debut.
It's funny how people call this shit, yet praise Stranger Things, despite them taking from the same work, featuring similar themes and elements, and Stranger Things ripping off the girl with El (both semi-mute psychics, etc).

>Was there a plot? I was fairly confused watching it
That's the movie's downfall, unfortunately. I still own it on blu-ray though and watch it when I want some vintage feels and awesome camerawork. It just didn't have enough story to be truly 10/10. Ending is a little shit, too.

goddamn the visuals and soundtrack to this movie were awesome. The plot was kinda out there, but I enjoyed it.

My main question is, why did they lose their abilities once they left the facility?

Still shit and i have never seen Stranger Things.

the movie does have a plot, but even if it didn't have any, it wouldn't be a bad movie. you plebs need to grow up

>shit
Now back that statement up. I expect no less than 500 words.

Letterboxd elder god Adam Cook gave it only 2 stars out of a possible 5. As for me? I'm standing with him.

are not a native speaker? if you are how could you possibly make this hideous grammatical error with your/you're, everytime I see this I die inside a little.

Thanks for the video btw gonna check it out

is this like dduuuu pisschrist kino? how does it compare to holy motors?

BRING HOME THE MOTHER LODE BARRY

youtube.com/watch?v=zyZiiq2Up5w

whole sequence is pure kino

He was on this suppository called pretentious, no one in this thread seems to have heard of it though.

Alright faggot lets begin.
First and foremost a film should tell either a story or convey a strong message throughout its narrative (if applicable) everything else is extra.
The Shining is a good film because it tells the story of how Jack Torrence slowly grows insane as the film progresses until we reach the climax of him attempting to murder his family. This is good because there are clear logical steps set within the world story that makes sense like him being egged on by spirits (or just simply his sub-conscious) and his idle workplace and established mental problems (i.e his abuse of his son) these mental problems work as a foundation on which his mental state can slowly progress into madness. Next this film also works especially well due to its setting making little sense realistically but, it works as a crutch subtly to make as unnerving of the surrounding due to its impossible nature.
See:youtube.com/watch?v=0sUIxXCCFWw for more info
The Shining also works as a horror film because it plays on our fears of the unknown like for example the brady twins and the pool of blood that comes out of the elevator. The Shining also uses its soundtrack appropriately to suit the setting and atmosphere to build tension and so forth. Furthermore the shining upon multiple watches becomes more terrifying as you connect the pieces such as the Maze seemingly changing every different view/shot hell in the establishing shot it is not even present further proving that this reality is being questioned and untrustworthy. Also you start to come to the realization that Jack was of the Deep-end ages ago and we did not even notice by looking at his typewriter and realise he has been like this for a while now.
What does this have to do with Black Rainbow?
it will be (cont.)

>First and foremost a film should tell either a story or convey a strong message throughout its narrative
This puts an auteur at an absolute, and as such cannot be true for art.
>What does this have to do with Black Rainbow?
Well?
And you should watch The Tenant if you appreciate The Shining so. Both depict a spiral into madness.

What are the problems with Beyond the Black Rainbow and why did i go on about The Shining for?
This film is essentially a shit synth version of the Shining.
The film tries to present itself as a Surrealist Horror Film but, it fails at the most fundamental aspect of any film. This aspect is its narrative.
When i first watched this film i stopped watching after half-way through. I asked myself why should i care about a person with amesia? What is the purpose of the Main Villian? Why does the film spend so much time with its Visuals where as it could be developing its characters to be interesting? Why am i watching this piece of shit film?
I should not be asking these questions in order to enjoy the film focused around two characters mainly. In the Shining around half-way through we already know who the character's are, What their purpose is and Who they are as people (Like are they kind or mean etc.)
This film wastes my time by being distracted by its (admittingly interesting visuals) and score. The shining has both but, keeps it in the background in order to tell its story and make us invested in the characters.
In fact unless if you really analyse which bad films FORCE you to do if you want to enjoy and understand to main themes. Any great films knows better than to keep the themes simple but, explore it clearly enough for the person to make their own interperetation on what it means. Like the Seventh Seal or Samsara for example.
Beyond the Black Rainbow Forces the audience to try and enjoy the film by being too lazy/incompetent to make their own story from what little the film actually has.
In the second half it just turns into a B-Grade slasher.
Overall the Film is shit due the visuals being essential in order to have a grasp on what the film is about and there is no characters you can like nor fear. In summary there is no reason to care for this film and that to me is the biggest sin a film can ever make.

Sorry it took me so long to write my explanation i had shit to do.
I used the Shining as an example to show how you can care about the film and in turn like the film as a contrast to BTBR
If you enjoy the film that is fine by me but, these are my own reasons why i really don't like this film.
If there are any alternatives to this film i am all ears because i love the visual style and sound design but, i hate this film for the reasons i stated. I know there is LORN but, there has to be way more than that.
Sorry for the Big Blocks of text for you to read but, i just needed to put my opinion out there.

the weed XD

Same user here (Just for Bumping the Thread mainly). Thanks for putting the Tenant into my watchlist is is not big at all

It's literally a R version of Stranger Things. I don't know how Netflix didn't get sued. When I watched S1 I was sure that the Duffer Bros must have written/directed BtBR.

>no one does it to you like Roman Polanski
kek

>First and foremost a film should tell either a story or convey a strong message throughout its narrative (if applicable) everything else is extra.
How can one man be this pleb.

Because i am not a pretentious faggot that's why

youtube.com/watch?v=SH-o7edhqss
One of those films that works better as a music video.

i'm a psychopath so i liked that element of it

>dude pretentious lmao
What's next? You're gonna call the movie 'style over substance'?

Shut your fucking mouth

>What's next? You're gonna call the movie 'style over substance'?
Explain to me how its not?

Great movie.
Liked everything about it, the story, acting, atmosphere and the perfect ending.

There's nothing to explain. Style over substance is just a meaningless phrase plebs utter anytime they're not watching the latest capeshit flick.

>90577833
>Using Buzzwords like pleb
>Not backing up his claims with any actual explanation
>Style over substance is just a meaningless phrase
No more (you)'s for you

I think that this movie came from half the director growing up surrounded by weird movies and half his strained relationship with his parents. I can only really guess at the second part but considering his dad was a relatively big-time movie director I wouldn't be surprised if Panos had a somewhat strained upbringing. A few people before me have commented that the movie seems to have a noticeable 'fuck Boomers' theme running through which I think is true. The movie seems like it can prettily easily be read as a condemnation of substance abuse, careless experimentation, new age thinking and/or hippie arrogance.

>they lose all abilities?
do they? I thought that Barry's death was due to psychic powers. It looked like he was trying to finally get at her but she was pinning him in place, and when he finally managed to move he only succeeded in hurling himself head-first into a stone.

>storyfags
lol. I bet you play video games on easy too.

The ending is the best part. Let's pull a few more layers from the story user wrote than the last part becomes clear.
It's actually the same story as Matrix and Dark City.
The facility is The Matrix, Barry is The Architect/YHVH/Yahve/Morgoth, the girl is The Potential/The One With The Spark.
Barry controls her with fear, with an illusion, as she is beginning to understand his limits, she starts to gather up the courage and the will to break free, she starts to intuitively understand that he really can't stop her and that all the power to break free is within her.

This is where the end comes into play, when they reach the end of his domain, when she frees herself in her own mind, he tries to stop her and shows all his power, and the actual lack of it, he simply trips "over himself" and hits his head...that's the big bad monster, that's all he is, a sad little architect who completely missed the point of all creation, gave himself credit which wasn't his, tried to do what wasn't in his domain, tried to be bigger than he really is and in the end died tripped over himself and died.

>storyfags
lol. I bet you play video games on easy too.
Literally missing the point of the argument

I thought it was ok but had 10/10 soundtrack

youtube.com/watch?v=SG8ffpDC7W8
youtube.com/watch?v=7Db7CwKwOd4
youtube.com/watch?v=uioMrkZ4Hq0

It's supposed to give you the same feeling and experience the girl had while she was hopped on drugs. It's only when the drugging wears off does the movie do away with the effects and gives you a clear eyed view of the facility.

The story is simply about a facility dedicated to creating superhumans with the use of goo portals. Rarely you get specimens like the girl, but most turn out to be those giant elongated pale men.

I liked it but see how people could hate it. You have to have a taste for movies that try to tell a simple tale in a new way.

>the most fundamental aspect of any film. This aspect is its narrative.
Is this the point? If it's not you need to get better at making points. Also your textwalls are embarrassingly basic. You sound like you just read 'basics of screenwriting' or some rigid and stuffy piece of shit of that sort. Who are you to define the rules of what does or doesn't make a movie enjoyable? Was I only having artificial fun when I saw it?

Please enlighten me then user if you think i am wrong and refer to this before you consider me to be the SS of cinema as this is explaining why ME IN PARTICULAR and not anyone else's reasons are for enjoying this film. These are MY reasons nothing more and nothing less

>trusting anyone's opinion on anything

>MY reasons
you used the word 'should' a few too many times for this to work now.

I think the argument was that in a visual and auditory medium style can be substance.
Merely stating that something is style over substance is, in many cases, not a negative.

and your point is?
i'll admit to being inaccurate in my language but, this is still true ultimately. Every opinion and Criticism is ultimately just someones opinion and as such this cannot be applied universally unless you are talking about something truly objective like the functionality of a chainsaw.
My views are different from yours when it comes to this film and its fine but, i am going to stick to these opinions and views whether you agree or not

I can agree to this statement but, that is simply not how i view things in the realm of cinema

To each his own my dude

Incorrect. Someone watching superhero movies isn't watching it for the artistry, but for the style and subject matter. Snyder's Sucker Punch is style over substance, as it's shit in everything but visuals. Faggots who praise shit just for visuals, with no semblance of plot/story, are 99% of the time pretentious assholes and 1% just contrarians. Compare The Void to this, which actually tells a story, and which is basically a slideshow?