MARVEL To Advertise Comic Books in Theaters

newsarama.com/33518-marvel-to-advertise-comic-books-in-theaters.html
>The greatest heroes, the biggest creators and the can’t-miss comic titles of 2017 are coming to a big screen and a small screen near you. Today, Marvel is pleased to announce an ambitious spring advertising campaign that will see several key Marvel Comics releases advertised ahead of blockbuster films and airing on broadcast television channels with the key goal of exciting and mobilizing TV & Film fans into local comic book shops and retailers.

>First, Marvel Comics are coming to a theater near you! Beginning this weekend, keep your eyes peeled for special pre-trailer advertisements before some of 2017’s biggest releases! Including ads promoting Marvel’s highly-anticipated SECRET EMPIRE event ahead of select screenings of Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2!

>Then, Marvel Comics come to the small screen with dedicated TV advertising and promotions. To be featured on ABC and other broadcast networks nationwide, fans can look forward to dedicated spots, on-air interviews, and more devoted towards Marvel’s biggest comic book launches this spring – SECRET EMPIRE and Marvel’s upcoming slate of X-MEN titles and more!

>This year, Marvel continues to bridge the worlds of graphic fiction with all new audiences and now, with extensive advertising activations, the House of Ideas is set to reach entirely new audiences in 2017 and invite them directly into local comic shops! The biggest characters and creators are waiting for you at your nearest comic retailer!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=drl5gD3AzT4
newsarama.com/33178-coming-soon-dc-comics-commercials-in-movie-theatres.html
youtu.be/3V5kI2NQzr0
youtu.be/wQRDhVjQ-zU
youtu.be/W9kNE8VRcvU
1d4chan.org/wiki/The_End_Times
1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer:_Age_of_Sigmar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

About time.

Maybe bring back newstands though. Kids dont want to go in weirdo direct shops.

DC needs to start doing this shit too.

>Come read a comic where Captain America is the fascist bad guy!
That sure isn't gonna confuse people

Is this really a good idea if the books are still shit?

We just had a thread last night about bookstore sales continuing to grow. Marvel still doesn't get it if they're trying to get normies to buy floppies. They need to push them toward trades.

>actually making an honest effort to get the movie audience into comics instead of forcing synergy that only people already reading comics would see
Damn and it only took several years

Alright! Everyone loves their movies and TV shows so this is a great idea! They should've started around Ultron though.

>Thanks for watching our movie! Would you want to read our shitty comic with references to our movies?

Bringing comics back to supermarket newsstands is a whole other monster.

They briefly tried with The New 52, but I think for now they've kept to online advertising for Rebirth.

It's possible. MIT just made waves with this: youtube.com/watch?v=drl5gD3AzT4

The real question is whether or not Marvel will go as far as MIT did, by which I mean live-action commercials instead of motion comics.

Several years and faltering sales due to event fatigue.

>Alright! Everyone loves their movies and TV shows so this is a great idea!
You're not trying to hide it.

The movies are shit too

Wouldn't work everyone hates their movies and TV shows

Really the only thing DC needs to do is die

But they can hide it with jokes, you can't do that in a comicbook.

>DC needs to start doing this shit too.
They did and are. Did you really think Marvel could come up with something themselves?

>DC Entertainment is once again partnering with a movie theater advertising company to promote its comic books and partner comic shops. The publisher resumed its agreement with National CineMedia (whom it worked with during "New 52") to come up with :15 and :30 second "Rebirth" commercials that comic shops can have their contact info added into.

>DC is offering a 50% reimbursement on these ads should a retailer buy them with National CineMedia. Back in 2011 during "New 52," DC offered retailers a 75% reimbursement.

>National CineMedia media controls much of the pre-movie advertising for United States theaters owned by AMC, Cinemark, and Regal.

newsarama.com/33178-coming-soon-dc-comics-commercials-in-movie-theatres.html

I remember seeing Rebirth posters in Riverdale the show
It was a little surreal, in a good way

That's actually a thing?

Honestly, I'm surprised "Riverdale" is with WB and not CBS. Maybe WB has been itching to get back into the early-mid-2000s teen drama game again.

People still read comics?

Can't see how anyone in this day and age would get into it

Feels like an old generation that really still buys them and they are finite

They're that desperate, huh?

>read a sales thread from a couple of months ago
>an LCS owner says that kids love older comics where the cover shows a scene from the book

I honestly can't believe it took them this long. I mean that seems like the most obvious place in the world to advertise them.

Wow, we've finally gotten to this point huh?

Yeah I noticed that. Makes sense since they have all the DC shows.

Marvel can advertise their comics til the sun comes up, but if they continue to write shitty books, it will all be for nothing. They need bite to accompany their bark.

I never understood why Marvel/DC didn't do this in the first place.

Is it that hard to have some ads before their movies/shows? Seemed like a wasted opportunity to me.

the comic market is the only print medium still growing

It's the money.

With how much the comics industry struggles nowadays, it's not as if they can up and buy ad time whenever they want to push something.

>youtube.com/watch?v=drl5gD3AzT4
I cringed hard. I'll save anyone else the grief. It's a live action student film based on riri williams.

They should have done this years ago

Quality is subjective. We need the newstands back to grow more.

Perfect tine when movies exist and tv is in decline.

>Maybe bring back newstands though.

That's a whole different thing. Though this time around they are partnering with Archie to have digests done (which I don't know for sure if it'll work since it'll depend on which stories they choose to reprint)

>buy ad time
What buying? If they put an ad right before the movies start, shouldn't it count as part of the movie run time?

DC literally just announced they're doing this weeks ago, I guess since they're copying Rebirth they might as well copy everything else, this is the House of No Ideas

I don't think so.

Why did they not do this sooner?
This is a really good idea.

>Maybe bring back newstands though. Kids dont want to go in weirdo direct shops.
This will never work, why do people still think this is a solution? Newstands will never get them because Marvel has a no returns policy which they will never go behind on.

No one likes DC outside Batman.

It's more for MIT Admissions and Pi Day, not an outright fan film.
But it still got a lot of reception from people who had nothing to do with the actual short's production nor would ever be qualified to attend MIT.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. It's a movie studio thing, I think, since studios generally have a say in what trailers play before a movie's screening, for example. Putting an ad for comics takes away from time allotted for trailers.

Your shilliness is showing.

Marvel really could have put a blip in the credits before the final scene. How much would that cost?

>Quality is subjective.
That's needless to say. But you can't deny there are more bad Marvel comics than good ones these days. And you approve of the idea of grabbing new readers when the state of the publisher is this piss poor.

But newstands are dead too

Nope

>kicked out of the movies
>still manages to come back and make them advertise his product
So this is the power of being a close friend of the United States of America president, huh?

>fascists
>bad guys

I have actual scene commercials for DC comics on top of the constant cereal deals they do.

Now Marvel is gonna try toi but too bad its gonna be for when they are at their lowest storywise.

>they're copying Rebirth
More like piggybanking on Rebirth's success while changing literally nothing.

Fucking Marvel.

I see parents and their kids in the LCS i go to almost every time i go there, theyve kinda taken over the non toy store-store that kids want to go to now, when i was a kid i'd go to music and movie stores to get cd's and stuff like that but those aren't around anymore.

Rather see a kid perusing a comic shop than some place like Hot Topic or some damn thing.

This makes sense in theory. It's a shame the entire Marvel line sucks.

A shame they're doing this whole putting out complete fucking trash

>tfw mom used to just drop me off at the comic shop after school and leave me there alone for hours
>No fear of me getting kidnapped or molested
>If I got bored I could go over to the arcade down the block and she wouldn't freak out
Kids today have so few true freedoms

>Kids dont want to go in weirdo direct shops.

But they do want to go in. Especially because most direct shops have collectibles, figures, and toys. To a kid, a comic shop is like a superhero themed toy store.

They don't need advertising, they need to make them available at like Wallmarts and shit. Comic book shops must die.

>getting Sup Forums to admit to the cancer that is the direct market
Good luck with that one

Average comic sells about 30000 copies. Local newspapers from Bumfuck, Nowhere sell more. Comic book industry is shit and it deserves whatever happens to it.

>Local newspapers from Bumfuck, Nowhere sell more.
You know why? Because newspapers don't cost 3.99 each and doesn't require you to read the last 3 months of newspapers to get the whole story

>that time newspapers ignored continuity

Selling at Walmart and a Convenience Stores would mean comic books going back to being stand alone issues. That would drive most writers out of DC and Marvel. Maybe indie fags would find that exciting but it would kill the whole market in the US.

>Rucka, Bendis and Hickman would finally be out of work
Where do I sign?

How do we kill Diamond, gentlemen?

Why would it mean that?

>That would drive most writers out of DC and Marvel

Thank Christ

They sell trades at WalMart already, why would they want floppies?

>comics need the movies' help to stay relevant now

This timeline just gets better every day

t. Comic shop owner.

I guess their variant cover jewery and their overshipping isn't working out, time to try plan C

Eventually we'll get to the part where they realize they need good books

Why not have a line of one shots for that purpose along side the current model?

There has to be nothing more inevitable but still pathetic than having to advertise your comics through another medium. Marvel and DC comics are just merchandise for their movies now. It's a T-shirt.

DC already have.

They did tv advertisements for Rebirth and they started movie theater ones when the Rebirth trades started coming out.

>It's a DC does it first but Marvel gets the credit episode
Every fucking time.

This really is the case; I just once wish DC would fucking toot their own horn about some of the awesome things they do. But alas, it'll always be about Marvel because marketing has always been better than good content to them.

Don't think of it in marketing terms, its the Loud obnoxious douche you remember from middle school vs. the Good guy understated bro who was good at some random sport, like...long jump or something.

Marvel deserves every bit of flack they get, they're a bunch of shitheels

How desperate is this

Too little too late

Same thing happens with DC's diversity. They've got fucking tonnes and it mostly happens naturally but they never get any praise for it because they don't make a big deal of it. Unlike Marvel who shout that shit from the rooftops so people fall over themselves to praise how progressive and diverse they are.

I fail to see what's desperate about it Marvel and DC should've been advertising on TV and in theaters years ago.

It makes sense to do this
It doesn't make sense as to why they haven't been doing this from the beginning, seeing as how just about every movie doubles as an ad for the comics
It's not desperation, it's a pretty smart move that should have happened sooner

>it's a pretty smart move that should have happened sooner
Actually, it will synergize very well with the Generations thing, they will have the main heroes headlining events and the legacy heroes running around in hopes new readers like them. Too bad both will be terribly written, but in paper it sounds like a good plan.

quads don't lie.

You'd think they would have started this over a decade ago.

Really makes you wonder why they didn't do this sooner.

Fine, I'll give you a (you).

I've talked to an alarming amount of people who, when I tell them I read comics, reply with "They still make those?"

Youtube Ads
youtu.be/3V5kI2NQzr0
youtu.be/wQRDhVjQ-zU

TV Ads
youtu.be/W9kNE8VRcvU

Riverdale is a CBS show that's on CW

CW is co-owned by WB and CBS and each have an equal amount of shows on the network per agreement

Frankly it makes me think of Games Workshop

>sell license to make Vermintide, Blood Bowl, Manowar and especially Total War Warhammer
>have stupid "you've played the game, now buy the miniatures" ads on each of these games
>TWW is one of the best selling games of the past year and has almost constantly being in Steam's top-ten games
>BUT GAMES WORKSHOP ENDED WARHAMMER FANTASY BACK IN 2015 AND REPLACED IT WITH AGE OF SIGMAR

How fucking dumb are these companies that they don't advertise their product while letting their license be whored out? Marvel ruins their comics with politics and GW just completely ends entire universes.

God knows none of of the movies want to. LEGO Batman was fine with advertising every random piece of media except the comics.

Lets be honest here, the comic industry is dying because people don't read.

Ask the average person the last time they read any kind of book and most of those retards will say it's been years.

But user sales have gone up on the back of endless gimmicks which means that the industry is saved until they run out of gimmicks

>BUT GAMES WORKSHOP ENDED WARHAMMER FANTASY BACK IN 2015 AND REPLACED IT WITH AGE OF SIGMAR
Wait, what the fuck? Have I really been out of the miniatures loop for so long? How have I not heard about this?

This honestly. The internet basically killed reading. If its not a news article or social media most people don't bother.

Yeah they killed the lore and replaced it with some cosmic god army bullshit.

1d4chan.org/wiki/The_End_Times
1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer:_Age_of_Sigmar

Were you there for the End Times? When Nagash got resurrected and decided to kill off Morr so he could become the god of the underworld, then he decided he would use his god powers to enslave the tomb kangz and vampire cucks to his will and launch an all out war against the living in order to reach the Chaos Wastes and become the Chaos God of Death?

Well Nagash got cucked hard because it turns out daemons > undead. Then he teamed up with all the living guys because the daemons apparently got a lot stronger and Archaon launched a real invasion this time. Then when they were winning Mannfred killed Teclis or Gelt or another wizard who was key to them defeating Chaos and Chaos destroyed the entire world.

THE END

Oh and Karl Franz died but Sigmar possessed his body.

But then Sigmar survived the end of the world and with the help of a space dragon created new "planes" of existence named after the winds of magic. THUS THE AGE OF SIGMAR BEGINS.

Also it has "cool" miniatures that are basically just space marines, but they work for Sigmar who is basically the Emperor but in fantasy now.

So WH40K was fantasy in space but Age of Sigmar is WH40K in fantasy.

>So WH40K was fantasy in space but Age of Sigmar is WH40K in fantasy.
I can't tell if that's the fucking dumbest idea ever, or a work of a fucking genius. 40K has been the more popular of the two for years now, so it could boost sales, but I have a feeling that it could also completely alienate the people who actually preferred Fantasy over 40K.

It's the dumbest thing ever, WH40K has it's own flavor that 40K fans like and none of that is actually brought to Age of Sigmar, but everything that made fantasy it's own thing basically got wiped.

So now it's just bleh.

Sounds like a fucking train wreck. Good luck to them getting anywhere with that.

You miss the genius of their move. For example, Malekith's name may or may not have been plagiarized from Marvel's Malekith. So they had Malekith become the God of Shadows and fuse with his pet dragon Sapherion to become a dragon-elf shadow god named Malerion.

Also Slaanesh is being raped by Malerion who is no longer evil but is now just edgy, and his followers are the edgy but not evil faction of elves and the Great Horned Rat is now the fourth Chaos god and the Skaven are officially part of Chaos.

Also rather than use names like Dwarf or Elf everything has names like Duardin and Aelf (because who gives a fuck if Dawi and Aesir/Druchii already existed?) which are much much more copyrightable.

>Great Horned Rat is now the fourth Chaos god and the Skaven are officially part of Chaos
Wait, so Slaanesh is no longer a Chaos god? How does that tie in to his role in 40K? And what the fuck is the Horned Rat supposed to represent as a god?

We just had thread analyzing bookscans 2016 numbers.

Why are 4 of the top 10 by the same person? Is this some James Patterson stuff going on?

The answer to any End Times related question is "desperate execs wanting money"

So the Horned Rat is the god of desperate execs wanting money.