Logan:

Is this really set after DOFP because it implies that the events of the original trilogy still happened.

Other urls found in this thread:

empireonline.com/movies/features/logan-11-revelations-director-james-mangold/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They happened but in a slightly different way.

Was it confirmed?

Nothing was confirmed. They went out of their way to make it as vague as possible.

It was a pretty simple movie, that's probably why it's became such a success.

Charles said that when he found Logan he was fighting in a cage. It's kinda true but he was found by Rogue, they were found by the X-Men some time later.

ITS NOT HELD BACK BY ANY OF THE PREVIOUS CONTINUITY, STOP TRYING TO MAKE A HEAD CANON OUT OF IT.

MANGOLD COMPLETELY BTFO CONTINUITY FAGGOTS

Just take it as Old Man Logan, a vision of what the future could be. Not the actual future.

Finally, even if DoFP retconned the old movies that doesnt mean some events didnt happen in similar yet different ways.

And Singer said anyways that the new continuity wont end in the DoFP epilogue. That was a good end to the old timeline. Apocalypse is a completely new blank one.

Haven't seen it yet, why exactly are the mutants dying out?

How did he get his metal back?
It's set after The Wolverine, you can see the fucking katana in his room.

>Wolverine gets fucked by Striker
>Gets all the metal sucked out of him
>Striker comes back from the dead to find him and fuck him again
>Gets poisoned by metal slowly and dies.

High Fructose Corn Syrup

>And Singer said anyways that the new continuity wont end in the DoFP epilogue. That was a good end to the old timeline. Apocalypse is a completely new blank one.

What the fuck? They might not use costumes like on the comics, but I love all the bulshit that is going on with Canon, it FEELS like big 2 capeshit.

a quarter of the original movies happened but not like this. Logan himself says that.

Chemicals in the world's genetically engineered supercrops preventing people from being born with the X-gene.

Remember Sup Forums this is the kind of retards that shit posts about plot holes and discuss films here

Ok, lets go slowly inbred retard

In The Wolverine, Wolverine loses his metal claws, right?

But in the same movie, right at the end, he meets Charles Xavier and his friend, ok?

Who was his friend? Was the master of plastics? the master of spaghetti?

I think it was a guy related to magnetism and metals

What was his name?

Metallo,no, it wanst metallo...mhh I think it was Magnetico or something?

Oh, well regardless, isnt that the same guy who appeared in X1, X2 and X3? The same guy that made solid metal into liquid platforms for him to fly out of a prison in X2?

Oh and they are also in the future...with future like technology

I fucking wonder how Wolverine got his claws back. Such a mistery. Id wish there is an expository dialog or flashback in DoFP so we could connect the dots

Other retarded questions faggots make

>How did Xavier was alive when he was killed in X3?
>How Lex found about Darkseid?

The intelligence of movie watchers these days is pathetic. If its not spelled for retards like in a Bond Villain monologue they cant follow a simple plot

SeeIt's a throw away line in the second act. It holds no real significance to the main story.

I dont think they are dying, they are just not being born.

Also it seems powers clearly fade or go crazy once you start getting too old.

That was explained in X3 after credit scene which connects back to a lesson Xavier was teaching at the beginning of the film

The amount of times I had to explain that to people drove me nuts, they thought MCU invented the Post credit scene

>That was explained in X3 after credit scene which connects back to a lesson Xavier was teaching at the beginning of the film

>leaving plot crucial details in a fucking post-credits scene instead of actually being in the movie

Whoever thought that was a good idea should never work again.

expecting viewers to fill in huge gaps in lazy writing, luckily for them pseudointellectuals like you make it acceptable by shaming people who dare to expect better of people paid millions

Explaining that always makes me mad inside too. Last time I explained it was last week (literally 10 years after the movie)

I understand not knowing the extra lore regarding that scene (brain dead patient was Xavier's twin who was mindwipped in the uterus by an early display of power), but god fuck, you dont need to know it was his brother. Just that he transferred his mind to him

Kind of wish the series would have ended on DOFP. Logan just seemed needlessly depressing.
>every character you used to like is dead, 7 of which were killed by xavier
>every single thing they fought for in the other movies was a complete waste of time
I guess I can't handle the kino.

>huge gaps

>Ship, tell me all the secrets of the universe
>hurrdurr how does he know about Darkseid?

Nah, it just respects the viewers assuming a bare minimum of intellect.

These are not experimental indie movies with weird narratives. These are action blockbusters at the end of the line. If you cant follow the narrative of an action blockbuster or call that "huge gaps" then you are fucking retarded. Or a woman. Or both.

the legacy virus

>Is this really set after DOFP
No. Its set in its own little pocket universe. Its detached from the rest of the franchise.

>because it implies that the events of the original trilogy still happened.
No it doesn't. It implies that the other movies DIDN'T happen.

> If you cant follow the narrative of an action blockbuster or call that "huge gaps" then you are fucking retarded. Or a woman. Or both.

You sound like one of those people who claimed Suicide Squad had coherent storytelling.

He and the metal back in dofp too despite losing them in the Wolverine
My head canon will always be it was magneto shenanigans

Singer planned DoFP as the end of the franchise said last week.

Apocalypse happens in a new timeline.

Logan is its own thing, not necessarily the sequel to DoFP epilogue, even if its inspired by that timeline. Mangold said Logan was not tied by continuity. Takes some stuff, discards others.

For all intents and purposes, you can still see DoFP as the end of the franchise and Logan as a "What if". The point of Logan anyways was to show how cheap is life and death. Everyone died in anticlimatic ways like nothing they did ever mattered. Its fine on its own way once you realize the point.

Mutants stopped being born in 2004 because of corn syrup (knew that stuff was bad news). After that, their numbers would naturally decrease through accidents, disease, or being hunted down by bigots. By 2029, most were gone. It may have been depleting their powers as well, but that's hard to say for sure - Xavier & Logan were both very old, their conditions could have simply been age related.

They reference the statue of Liberty though which was part of the old movies

>empireonline.com/movies/features/logan-11-revelations-director-james-mangold/

In which Mangold talks about a deleted scene that may be on Blu-ray where Professor X talks about Wolverine killing Jean in X3.

SS is shit regardless of storytelling.

Hell, most people should stop putting continuity, plot or plotholes as the END of all movie criticism and appreciation. Most classical movies are filled with plotholes or "why X character didnt do Z?" and no one cares.

The film medium is a bit more complex than hurrdurr plothole. Its just that you can talk about pltholes without film education, thats why youtubers focus so much on plotholes. Because they are uneducated.

SS could had the great gatsby story and still be a shit movie.

You can find a shit ton of plot holes in Logan, but the acting, the setting, the atmosphere, the direction, the soundtrack makes it a really solid movie. (just like BvS)

I wish all these comic movies were like that. Fuck continuity.

Its not tied by continuity. It takes some stuff and leaves what it doesnt need.

Technically if its at the end of DoFP ending then Xavier only knows about the revised old timeline and only Logan remembers X3 and Phoenix/Jean.

Old time line > bad ending ( At the end of DoFP Logan remembers this one but Xavier doesnt)

Old time line > good ending (Logan doesnt remember anything from the 70s to the future, for Xavier its like this was always the real timeline since he was retconned)

Apocalypse timeline > uncertain ending

>Hey Magneto put in this metal that poisons my body
>???

Mangold, Logan interview, on retards like you

>I think interesting interpretations happen in movies with less information. In most modern films, we have successfully killed the act of allegory or metaphor or meaning or even the space to process the poetic meaning of the imagery because we don’t allow it to sit on scene without commentary for very long. A wide shot hardly ever exists anymore without fucking type underneath it telling you where you are and the sound of a teletype machine. We just can’t let an image sit for fear that one of our ADD audience members cannot possibly keep from looking at their phone during that shot. We should not make films for the dumbest of us. There is some level where you have to take a moment to go, 'What am I saying?' And it’s not just about violence or did I contradict the canon of this comic, but there’s bigger issues, what am I saying about life? And am I actually helping people stay anaesthetized and ignorant? Am I contributing to the problem?”

They didnt take his Adamantium out in The Wolverine. They just cut his claws. The bulk of it is still inside. Most likely Magneto just extended the adamantium from the forearm into the claws while leaving the same amount of it

Why would mutants stop being born because of HFCS? That kind of takes away a lot of the specialness of mutants if your status as a mutant was determined by your parent's diet.

Yeah, and? It says fucking nothing about what happened at the statue of liberty. Its as vague as possible.

Word.

They intentionally added gene suppressants to it. I don't know why they name checked corn syrup. Seemed like they were going with symbolism or continuity with the bad farmers... didn't play too well.

I loved the movie, but there was some heavy handed shit in there to move it along, to be honest.

Hell, nothing in X-Men would suggest that anyone really knew what went down at the Statute of Liberty. Assuming there's any continuity whatsoever, the whole comic book heroes thing seems to be entirely the product of the DOFP alternate timeline.

They vaccinated people against mutation using genetically altered food.

Have you not seen the movie?

Likely DOFP changed some things while leaving others the same. It's quite possible that in the new timeline they wore goofy outfits, and did similar things in the past. For instance, in the opening shots of Logan you see a katana, which implies the events in The Wolverine occurred to some extent.

The director made somewhat of a point of making things vague, and helped show this by Logan's dialogue where he reams X-23 about reading the comic books, because they are basically 75% bullshit.

A stupid collar can deactivate powers regardless of what power is.

Stop pretending the X-men are some fine shit and focus on the actual movie.

>Logan gives Laura shit for believing in silly things like comic books
>when people die, they die
>when he himself TRAVELLED BACK IN TIME and SAVED ALMOST ALL HIS FRIENDS

What a jerk.

Food poisoning and Charles killed quite a few of them with his brain disease I think

I really, really respect Hugh and James for creating a story like this and not trying to pander to the lowest denominator.

The director said he choose the R-rating for various reason, not just for the violence but to allow for the pacing to be slightly slower since he didn't need to worry about the attention span of 10 year olds and he was also allowed to development very mature themes that kids just wouldn't understand.

They also said they didn't want to spoonfeed audiences or treat them with contempt, but sadly reading through threads likes these shows they had good intentions but those intentions seriously misguided. Not surprised seeing lots of people say this was a bad movie or they didn't get it.

He also had a comic book like suit in DoFP, he.

It was quite charming anyways, that the comic book x-men inspired Laura and even saved them. At the end the x-men comics might not be real but Logan ended being one of those comic book superheroes for the kids.

Imagine being the little shit with the Wolverine toy. You find your hero was real and not only that, he dies saving you. Best/worst day ever for that kid

>For instance, in the opening shots of Logan you see a katana, which implies the events in The Wolverine occurred to some extent.

....or just that he spent some amount of time in Japan for SOME reason. It doesn't specifically hint anything about the movie The Wolverine. For all we know, it could be a nod to Wolverine vol 1.

>or they didn't get it.

What's even not to get? Its not some high art film. The themes are pretty simple.

Are people that fucking stupid?

Mangold intentionally ignores continuity because being beholden to previous films really annoys him. So I like to just make up my own continuity for the x-films leading to Logan. X1-3 happened, this is the best explanation for the Charles-Logan relationship in this film and for the tortured character of Logan. Ignore The Wolverine because Logan being such a downer doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you factor in his redemptive arc from that film. DoFP could almost work, but it dramatically changes the relationship between Charles and Logan: instead of Charles taking in Logan and mentoring him, Logan actually kinda mentors Charles in the 70s. I also include the Apocalypse weapon X scene just because its a cool scene. Ignore the rest of Apocalypse because its too silly to fit in the Logan timeline.

>DoFP could almost work, but it dramatically changes the relationship between Charles and Logan: instead of Charles taking in Logan and mentoring him, Logan actually kinda mentors Charles in the 70s.

They are not in that timeline. They are in a revised version of the old timeline where some stuff happened and other didnt.

In DoFP-Apocalypse new timeline Logan mentored Charles...for like 48 hours. Then disappeared, went thought Weapon X and Charles mentored Logan for years.

Why are you worried about it? Fox has literally never been able to keep their continuity straight with these movies, by the time you sort out what's still canon with this flick everything will be retconned in the next one.

>Fox has literally never been able to keep their continuity

Well, I mean, there is a pretty consistent through line from X1 to X3. So not -literally-. The continuity got mucked up with First Class.

And that's perfectly ok. First Class is better than all the X-Men movies before it.

X2 is still GOAT

Its good, but not better than First Class.

First Class was the first movie in the franchise that actually felt like an X-Men movie. Instead of "Wolverine: Guest Starring The X-Men".

We know Wolverine was in Japan before any changes to the timeline were made, nothing done would retroactively change that.

So basically this movie takes place in a timeline where the sentinels warent created to kill the mutants, instead it was syrup.

Mangold was clearly talking about faggots like you

> 'What am I saying?' And it’s not just about violence or did I contradict the canon of this comic, but there’s bigger issues, what am I saying about life? And am I actually helping people stay anaesthetized and ignorant? Am I contributing to the problem?”

No one cares if they are more like the x-men comics, because the x-men comics are mostly shit.

FC is a mediocre movie even if its closer to the "x-men comic books".
X2, DoFP and Logan are much better FILMS.

I thought about it last night, and apparently there's a deleted scene where Xavier mentions Logan having and killing his wife (implying it's Jean as he's off his rocker of course), and I'm taking it as the future of the original timeline, as in, Logan either doesn't get involved in DOFP, fails, or something of that sort.
Xavier can be explained by the spare body of his waking up at the end of X3.
Regardless, try not to think too much about it, I doubt they'll ever set it straight.

Literally nothing in that quote has anything to do with what I said here: Cry harder, faggot.

He did a good film at the expense of being "comicbook accurate"

The only way this movie makes sense is if you include the original timeline and forget about DOFP

And no one is saying otherwise, moron. Logan also isn't even advertised as being a team movie. You're looking for a fight when there isn't one.

A combination of a corporate conspiracy to stop and Mutants from being born...

And one of the main characters fucked up and apparently killed a ton too.

Yeah, that's basically how I look at it.
Just cut the Magneto and Xavier scene from The Wolverine and fill in the gap between Xavier waking up and returning to the school/finding Logan and there ya go.

Xavier should not remember the old time line anyways. And Jean wasnt his wife anyways.

It would be extremely funny if she was his wife at some point.

Scott was cucked out of his son-father relationship with Xavier and now from his wife.

>Other retarded questions faggots make
>How Lex found about Darkseid?
>The intelligence of movie watchers these days is pathetic. >If its not spelled for retards

Calls people retards, and insults their intelligence, yet writes like a moron who failed basic 2nd grade grammar.

No the stuff also dampened or degraded their powers which is why Logan was no longer able to handle the "adamantium poisoning"

The scene was meant more as one of the family members asking about Logan, and Charles says as deliriously as possible "He had a wife, and he killed her!" and he laughs about it. Sounds hilarious, though apparently it was a bit too weirdly placed or something. Might be on the DVD.
You've got a good point there actually, he shouldn't know that if this is the Post-DOFP timeline where that didn't happen. Strong evidence for the movie being in the OG timeline

I mean. Logan straight up says that it was Rice's dad that put metal in him. If Magneto restored it, especially if Logan ASKED for this, it would've had totally different emotional weight. I personally take it that X1 and X2 happened and that's it. Maybe a bit of Origins because I like Leiv as Sabertooth more than whoeverthefuck from X1

Would X24 die after being shot by the adamantium bullet, or would his brain regenerate without the memories? If the latter is true, wouldn't that mean that Wolverine sans adamantium could be killed by a bullet to the head or any kind of brain injury?

His healing factor is weaker than young Logan's. Logan regenerated his skin being ripped from him, as it was happening. This faggot needed serum to restore an eye.

How did the tree trunk go through Logan's adamantium?

I have a friend that watched BvS and we talked about it. He didn't understand anything

>Man, that movie was confusing. There's this fight in the beginning between Superman and someone else, and they destory a city, and Bruce gets mad.
>Me: Uh, yeah man
>Then they like, said that Superman killed a bunch of villagers in africa or something, wtf
>Oh, and at the end some monster shows up, and this random chick with superpowers man. I was completly lost. Also, they were in the future and Superman killed Batman, that might've been a dream though, don't remember, or that's how the movie ended.
>Me: ooooooookay.

Regardless if BvS sucks or not, jesus, it wasn't that difficult to understand.

The only problem would be the claws?

>I don't know why they name checked corn syrup
Probably because corn syrup is in pretty much everything these days.

You know, I think this film accomplished something that I don't think any other cape film will follow up on, having a death we knew that was coming and still surprise us.

We all knew Xavier was going to die, and I was expecting Logan having to kill him during a seizure, but the way they did it, it was so harsh and sad, especially after several feel good scenes made it hit a lot harder.
I don't think any future superhero film is going to pull that off. Any death that happens in Infinity Wars for example will be ones we see coming or come from some heroic act.

Professor X was actually talking about the motel Laura and the nurse were at. He wasn't referencing X1 but Logan, the only one who remembers the original timeline, thought he was at first before shrugging it off to dementia.