So this is one of the best movies about space travel, right?

So this is one of the best movies about space travel, right?
>Interstellar
>2001
>Star Trek TMP
>2010
>Alien
What am I forgetting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qLwfCfiHwIA
youtube.com/watch?v=DYDaIyfitn8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Khan. Original flavor.

The most overrated Trek movie, TBQH.

Apollo 13, Gravity, The Martian, Europa Report.

All good, but only one of them is more than a decade old--too soon to say it's 'the best.'

Sunshine

Passengers

because good sci fi ends with a cheesy message about love delivered to you by none other than Anne Hathaway.

BR2049

Gravity is trash

Why?

>The Martian
good one. almost baited me.

The only inaccuracy that really irked me was George Clooney's death

What did you not like about it? I enjoyed it for the great score, sound design and VFX. Really felt like space.

Except for the reddit iron man quip at the end, what's wrong with The Martian? Basically a perfect adaptation if you ask me.

Passengers

It actually isn't a bad movie, it's just Reddit as fuck. If you can overlook its context it's fine.

Is Passengers actually a good movie or are people just memeing? It looks like a chick flick in space.

>go in expecting complete shit because of the reddit/tv hate for it
>turns out to be an enjoyable flick that actually made me feel a bit
The part where he looks out into space alone was kino.

It basically is a chick flick in space, doesn't make it bad though. Also some good alone feeling doomed vibes.

Eh every movie about a sleeper ship feels lame to me now that I've read Chasm City.
>ywn have a movie about a psychopath maneuvering inter-ship politics among the crew of a flotilla of sleeper ships bound for a different star system who centuries later has another adventure during which he becomes amnesic and then regains his memories gradually over the course of a week while the audience learns about his past
Why do I watch SF movies again? The best SF kino can't match a half-decent book.

The only reason it's ever praised is it's visuals whi may be amazing in theater / IMAX, isn't enough to make it "great"; the story is... lacking

>He still watches movies for 'story'

I watched it on my TV in the dark and I was pretty damn immersed.

I bet you hate Avatar too don't you?

>interstellar
>good

It's a 2001 rehash with an even gayer meaning.

t. virgin

While not a movie, I thought The Expanse handled space travel and life in space in a believable fashion.

The TV show does a good job.

>any Nolan movie
>best at anything
maybe best at how NOT to handle exposition and human emotion. You have to be an infant to think Nolan has ever made anything above a 6/10.

This

It was comfy and had a really good soundtrack.

youtube.com/watch?v=qLwfCfiHwIA

>maybe best at how NOT to handle exposition and human emotion.
Message aside, Interstellar does a good job with physics, which is rarer than movies that handle human themes well.

Alien isn't about space travel though.

and event horizon did it better

You can feel the Nemo in all of his work. Not that I mind.

Do you like the rest of this series? I don’t like jumping into the middle.

>and event horizon did it better

garbage film

Seconded
Would have been so much better if it was something more plausible than literally hell

Chasm City is sort of a standalone novel, you can read it before or after the Inhibitor trilogy without trouble. I think it was the first novel set in its universe so that's not a problem. The rest of the series is really excellent stuff, for the most part. Good space opera is hard to come by but this series really raises the bard in a lot of ways. It's not perfect but it's good, thematically, stylistically, in terms of plot and prose.

What was inaccurate about his death? From a Brainlet

sunshine

From my memory, he just let go and floated away. Even a brainlet should realise there's no immediate gravity like that in space, it's bullshit

You realize that every object shown in space is moving, right? You realize that orbiting a planet and not moving are contradictory actions, right?

>gravity
>moon

Thanks user, I’ll check it out

That would be Voyage Home for TOS and First Contact for TNG.

Voyage Home is pure kino, Wrath of Khan is just Star Wars Without Destiny. It's really overrated. Voyage Home is a perfect comedy.

Holy shit you're autistic, you know what I meant.

There was no centrifugal force or whatever going on, he just let go and started floating.

I haven't seen the movie since I saw it in theaters but he would totally float away from an object moving in space if he let go of it.

While TMP is undoubtedly the kinotographer's choice of Star Trek movies, I think The Undiscovered Country is good enough to put on the list too

If they're not moving along parallel trajectories at similar velocities then I'm right, stop being retarded.

>If they're not moving along parallel trajectories at similar velocities
This is effectively negated once he pulled on the space rope though, come on. He was hanging on for dear life as if there was an abyss under him, the moment he let go he started drifting away. It made zero sense.

Like I said, I haven't seen the movie in like 4 or 5 years. Show me a youtube clip of this scene and I'll tell you what I think.

patrician taste apart from star trek

vid contains spoilers
youtube.com/watch?v=DYDaIyfitn8

it seems to me that a simple tug of the rope would have given him enough forward momentum to reach her then she could just climb back

2010 might be the most underrated sequel of all time.

If he pulled on himself then he would have pulled her with him, desu, or worse he would have pulled himself and pushed her away.

And, again, LITERALLY NOTHING SHOWN IN THIS MOVIE IS STANDING STILL, HE MOVES AWAY BECAUSE THEY ARE ORBITING A PLANET AND HE IS NO LONGER CONNECTED TO SOMETHING WITH A STABLE ORBIT

sorry, I mean she should have pulled him
wat they're both connected to the station, which is in orbit, all she'd have to do is pull towards her
pic related

>wat they're both connected to the station
The wires are loose, did you have the audio off or something?
Anyway he wouldn't let her do it because he didn't want to endanger her
That's the main thing, he sacrifices himself to give her a better chance at surviving
And then he lets go and he floats off in another direction
I really don't understand your problem

>And then he lets go and he floats off in another direction
>I really don't understand your problem

2001 and Interstellar are literally nothing alike. Nolan may have done homages to it but the movies are different. That is not to say 2001 isn't infinitely better but Interstellar is very enjoyable and technically excellent

I really don't. You fucking idiot, watch the scene again.

>Interstellar
>Hard science fiction until the black sequence turns it into magic space fantasy schlock

More like
>Hard SF until the plot needs soft emotions to save it
I don't even understand the role of love in this story.

Nice reddit opinion, autist. What's wrong with love playing a role in a story?

Nothing is 'wrong' with it, I mean that I literally do not see the point where love is supposed to be central to what happens in the movie. How about you explain to me why love is so important in Interstellar?

t. Brainlet who can't into dynamics

If you need this explained to you it means you have the emotional maturity of a teenager. Come on, love lets him communicate with Murph because they have faith in each other. The 5D ayys did that because it worked, done.
>implying letting go of a rope degrades your orbit and flies you away at mach 5
Spot the brainlet

>Come on, love lets him communicate with Murph because they have faith in each other
What?

COME ON, LOVE LETS HIM COMMUNICATE WITH MURPH BECAUSE THEY HAVE FAITH IN EACH OTHER
Heard me this time?

That doesn't make sense

That's fine, maybe movies like Justice League are more up your alley? Less pesky dialogue and discussion and god forbid, some exposition.

>If you think Interstellar's ending is goofy you should watch capeshit
4/10

Yeah, you probably should since you have the emotional intelligence of an amerishart middle aged mom.

1/10

So final list includes
>Wrath of Khan
>Apollo 13
>Gravity
>Europa Report
>The Martian
>Silent Running
>Passengers
>Blade Runner
>Chasm City (unfilmed)