What did Marvel do that DC didn't

What did Marvel do that DC didn't
Why did Marvel's movies become successful while DC's didn't

Marvel developed the characters and made the audience care about them. DC just said "hey here are the characters, watch them do stuff" with little to no development.

>$5.5b from the last 7 DC movies
>Unsuccessful

wtf are you talking about?

Are you seriously counting Nolan's movies in the DCEU

>using money as a metric of quality

dumb dumb dummkopf everyone knows that the longest movie runtime wins it's like a race.

no. there just really isn't much of an audience for , what amounts, to basically the same kind of films.
People barely can tolerate Marvel, they are all basically "good enough"
no one wants to watch a copy of "good enough"
besides mexicans and 12 year olds you're never going to meet a single persons who think Marvel movies are amazing (even those people who watch all of them on opening night)

It's pretty apparent what happened. Marvel has been building the universe since 2008 (Iron Man 1). Between IM1 and Avengers 1 Marvel released: The Incredible Hulk,Iron Man 2,Thor,Captain America: The First Avenger. Notice how every movie has a link to the Avengers. DC decided to imitate that but in a horrible way. What did we get after Man of Steel (2012)? Batman vs Superman (5/10), Suicide Squad (2/10), Wonder Woman (7/10). And then they throw Justice league together with no prior build up for Flash,Aquaman,Cyborg. No Green Lantern in a JL movie.....nice one WB...

Really makes you think.

This. DC thought they could just depend on "brand recognition" and gave full rein to a retard like Snyder who could care less about superheroes.

>What did Marvel do that DC didn't

Payed off critics.

But really almost anything that breaks the template of the average superhero film (i.e. action-comedy) is deemed unappealing to modern critical tastes.

As for why they hated JL (which followed that exact template)...well they were ready to hate it from the second it was announced. So they simply exaggerated its flaws (especially when most superhero films share the exact same flaws) and made it 'rotten'. In reality its objectively on par with the quality of most Marvel movies.

>Why did Marvel's movies become successful while DC's didn't

Marvel appeals to the same audiences who eat up other summer blockbusters. Just generic, bland, safe, repetitive action-comedies.

Here's a maybe unorthodox theory: DC was too popular beforehand.

When everyone on earth knows who Superman and Batman are, and when every American is familiar with WW, the joker, Lex Luthor, etc., etc., then it's infinitely harder to make a movie satisfying to all of them.

Personally I believe it was because Snyder sucks and did not understand what makes Superman beloved on a fundamental level, but since you made this thread, I assume you've heard that a thousand times before and it didn't convince you. This might make more sense while not contradicting the fact that the new DCEU is kinda shit

who is this cum marauder?

DC dropped the ball when they cast The Dark Knight Trilogy from the canon. TDKR set up Robin emerging and bringing Batman out of retirement.

TDK is massively popular, and you see tons of normies listing TDK as their favorite movie of all time. Christian Bale's Batman should have been to the DCEU what Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man was/is to the MCU.

If Nolan had continued working on Batman, or at least someone competent who was in close working relations with Nolan, and Superman had been allowed to be more like the Christopher Reeve movies, all of that could have tied in with Wonder Woman (the only DCEU movie people outside of Sup Forums actually like) and the DCEU would be perfectly fine.

name another comic book movie that had bad CGI or an underdeveloped villain ? literally JL is the ONLY super hero movie with a bad villain , fuck off DCuck

marshmallow maximus

>literally JL is the ONLY super hero movie with a bad villain , fuck off DCuck

people who like Marvel movies complain about the villains all the time

Quips, e new currency of cinema

They beat DC to the punch

Green Lantern.

As a marvel fan the villains in marvel movies do crash more often than they land

SS, wonder woman, and justice league are all generic superhero films.

MoS and BvS try different things but both devolve into generic cgi superhero action for the climax.

As far as capeshit goes I think the only really awful movie in the DCEU is suicide squad

At least Marvel has villains more complex than a big videogame boss.

this guy is onto something

when someone decided to make a movie about captain america, or iron man, or fucking thor & doctor strange... most people dont know who the fuck these guys are. most people dont give a fuck (i certainly didnt). so the movie has to MAKE us care

with DC heroes, its sortof the opposite. they are so iconic, people recognize them immediately for their appearance & powers. so theres no incentive to give them a character. rather, to make sure that their movie includes the things people expect from the character. good storytelling, that does not make (not that normies give a fuck about storytelling, but still)

then again, all of this could be said to be invalid. the transformers-movies make no fucking sense and have no characters or story, but people flood to them anyway

I know. I was just joshing around, pal. StephenWolf being a terrible villain was a common criticism so i was just mocking idiotic film "critics"
Though I didn't like his CGI and didn't get a lot of screen time to develop he had an interesting set up (ancient world destroyer, returning after thousands of years to attempt and conquer earth again). He was given some personality (though not much)

Batman V Superman was not deep, stop being a retard.

you must be forgetting "every marvel super villain"

Marvel made decent movies, DC made bad movies, stop being a contrarian retard

Wonder Woman
BvS
Suicide Squad

iron man 2
iron man 3
thor 2
thor3
captain america 2
captain america 3
avengers 2
hulk
ant man
dr strange
every spiderman besides Raimi's

>ancient world destroyer, returning after thousand of years to attempt and conquer earth again

SS was bad but definitely not a generic superhero film by any means.

You couldn't name a superhero film like it, in terms of tone. I honestly believe SS was a good edit away from being a decent flick.

>implying she isn't a god tier villain

fuck cant find anything better than this pic on google, she is guarding her pics like a lioness

You have no idea. Every thread of hers on user-ib's /cosp/ board gets reported and shutdown within days. And she's only recently started giving any sort of goods like what I posted. She's a biggo tease who will probably never really put out.

She doesn't do nudes and she's a fucking landwhale anyway, everyone gets tricked by the ahego elf face

Well for starters marvel is more down to earth so it's much easier for an audience member to relate to captain America as supposed to superman.

Disney took a ton of risk and probably lost money along the way to the avengers.

WB cant afford to do that

>Marvel movies
>good adaptations of comic-book storylines

>DC movies
>ham-fisted religious imagery, overuse of slo-mo, bad writing, bad acting

They started their cinematic universe with a hit movie, they established their cast of characters with origin movies even when they didn't too great financially, they stuck to their plan and became the first studio to do a true team-up/crossover movie that became a cinematic event in it's own right.

>Why did Marvel's movies become successful while DC's didn't
Because they left the cinematic universe in the hands of Kevin Feige instead of someone like Zack Snyder. The only DC movie that wasn't either a) direct by Snyder or b) meddled with by WB (or both) was Wonder Woman.

>good adaptations
hahahahahahahah

Not hire Zack Snyder. It sounds easy enough, but for some reason DC have been unable to take this simple step.

Better planning. Getting mostly charismatic leads and exploit them. Not hiring the director of Sucker Punch to pull a Nolan.

Yes, hire Max Landis, he's clearly a fan.

Make individual movies before you blow your load on an ensemble movie, and making inoffensive movies for the masses, that the critics can call "an amazing spectacle" or whatever, collect their check and forget about it in 5 minutes.

This, really. It's that easy.

Ok, so Man of Steel was sub-par, but I can see a studio giving a guy another chance. But after BvS I don't know how anyone thought giving him control of Justice League was a good idea. Hell, even Fox was smart enough to stop Tim Story after two shitty F4 movies.

I'm baffled how anyone could find SS decent at all... it was absolute trash

None of the pre avengers movies besides ironman made over $400 million ww. Stop pretending like people cared about the solo movies before avengers, they only started to after the avengers.

None or the pre-Avengers solo movies cost $300 million + advertising, either.

>introduce the majority of the cast and give them 3 minutes of backstory
>cram them all together instantly and have them fight

TDK trilogy was made to be a stand alone Batman film. You can't just insert other superheroes in that universe.

Fun movies
Also aren't 70% jews in it
Racist Flash was obnoxious and stupid and I don't want to see that fucker in any other movie.

>captain america 3
zemo was pretty neat for a marvel vilain

Are you fucking retarded?
They MADE their capeshit series into a multi-billion dollar franchise using their movies alone.
>b-but i don't like quips

Who gives a fuck, they know how to appeal to people. WB has only gotten as far as they have because everyone knows about Superman and Batman.

This might not have been an issue if they had based their DCU off of Nolan's Batman. Warner starting over despite having a great foundation would be if like Marvel had decided that Iron Man was it's own thing and started the MCU with Hulk.

narrative cohesion.

Its also the reason that brainlet dcucks can't understand their appeal. Narrative cohesion is something that is transparent when its done right, and it isn't flashy, but its absolutely integral. As great looking as Snyders movies are, both MoS and BvS suffer a lot narratively, structurally, and in having consistent and strong characters.

Marvel movies are basic but they're very functional. Also SS and Justice League were legitmately terrible because of studio interference. Their budget, aesthetics, and writing are all chopped to pieces from rewrites and reshoots.

MoS, BvS and WW are the only arguably good ones. Though I'd probably say that WW is the only legitimately "good" one (good being 6/10).

First google hit I got was her instagram and it's filled with pictures.

Quips, blue laster shooting into the sky, post credit scenes, famous actors. There. They are easy fun pandering to normies who think they are nerds.

SS had all of those things and it still sucked. There's definitely something that DC is doing wrong.

Disney media machine.

>This might not have been an issue if they had based their DCU off of Nolan's Batman.

Fuck off. Nolan's batman is a perfect standalone universe.

The marvel movies are good, thats the difference

They made 5 movies that fleshed out most of the main cast of their big ensemble film.

>Iron Man
> Captain America: Civil War
>Thunderbolts
>Black Widow
> The Avengers
Imagine if Marvel built up their cinematic universe like this, and handed the task of directing most of these films to a mediocre film maker whos best film was Dawn of the Dead. No one would give a fuck about these characters.

he wasn't even a character let alone a good one

it sucked only compared to real movies
SS is literally the purest capeshit ever put on film. Its just cool to bash it but love lesser films because it gives you good boy points on the internet

>Keeps one director on one project and doesn't constantly rotate creative teams out
>Stuck to one character per movie, in the beginning, to humanize them and give them personal struggles and stakes to make them interesting
>Was inspired by other companies (Chiefly FOX) and their attempt to create superhero franchises rather than wanting to emulate them as quickly as possible
>Disney, for all of its ills, has a competent board of directors
>Has one person designated to oversee the development of the overarching plot and universe in order to give directors maximum freedom within the confines of the ongoing story
>Most importantly, did not build the entire universe off the back of a man whose portfolio screams all style, no substance

I can go on, but the big factor is that directors are allowed to create films with some levity and in their respective styles while DC is trying hard to emulate the tone of Nolan's Batman films until they hire Whedon to Franeknstein some of his trademark humor into a depthless Zack Snyder flick.

Max is great, and I love American Alien, but pls no.

SS was utter unfun trash. It's wasted potential: the movie.

Marvel does comics better because they keep it stupid and fun, oh yeah, comics are retarded dumb, but they can get whole families to enjoy their flicks this way.

DC fucks it up when they try to take it seriously (BvS) and they also fuck it when they try to be goofy (SS). I cannot believe that in this era of "nerd" culture they are somehow messing capeshit films, I cannot believe it.

DC movies just feel bloated and jumbled in general. GL tried to shove 40 years of stories into one movie. BvS tried make one movie out of two of DC's biggest and SS just felt like someone put the raw footage in a blender. WW was the only movie since MoS that felt cohesive.
Marvel, for the most part, keeps the stories tight and simple and makes the characters do the work. The exception is Civil War, which was basically two movies happening at the same time.

I'm actually still so disappointed in SS.

You had an array of diverse villains as the protagonists in a 'superhero' film. It was unheard of.

So much potential for something so different that's it's great but DC wasted the project on shitty writers and director.

I really think DC has a problem with their filmmaking teams. I guarantee, if they picked a good writer and good director for their films they would not be in this kind of mess.

Well for starters Casting

Say what you want about Marvel but they did a great job casting. RDJ was a perfect Tony Stark. Chris Evans was a great Cap, the guy who played Thor was good. Even Loki was perfect. Marvel cast people who could act and at least look the part

What does DC do? They cast an Israeli bitch who can't fucking speak English or act. They cast a literal faggot as Flash who doesn't even look like him. And they cast that nerdy neet at Lex Luthor.

Pic fucking related

DC fucked up with having Batman be based off his "end of the line" Miller story for his introduction. Then they made SS which just was like hey all this shit happened with villains but we wont show it even though we should just do a couple stand alone films then JL.
Their Universe timeline was so fucked up from the start

I'm not on board with Fatleck either. Cavill is the only good casting at the moment.

To me it was like, they initially took a huge risk by making a film with villains as protagonists and then watered the whole thing down with the typical formulaic shit: faceless enemy army, ancient evil awakened and giant ray from the sky.

The problem is that they feel the need to make everything so big. There must always be a worldwide danger, or at least citywide. They could've made a fun movie about a group of misfits fighting some techy terrorist menace and it would have been a thousand times more original.

Take Judge Dredd for example, the whole movie takes place inside a huge apartment complex filled with bad guys and it works so well.

Nolan's intent and the integrity of the films shouldn't matter to retarded moviegoers and producers that want to make a quick buck.

Cavill, Batflek, Cyborg and even Water guy(he was just too dudebro) were good castings

QUIPS

FUN

NOSTALGIA

MAKING YOU FEEL LIKE A KID AGAIN

SZECHUAN SAUCE

-Predictability
-Simple stories
-Characters well developed upon different arcs
-Humour

Meanwhile DC tried to create "complex" stories, although this worked well eith MoS because it was more of a standalone film, but BvS just showed how cramping 4-5 different storylines and different social dynamics upon a movie doesn't work. For example Fox hit the spot when they mixed racismand segregation with X-Men, but BvS tried to go beyond (Segregation, goverment control, power corruption, duel, consequences of violence, etc...) but audiences (Even smarter ones) will fell rushed storylines and unfinished arcs.

Same as characters, during Marvel movies most characters feel human, and they keep developing during their movies and even exapnding upon other movies, this is why so many people hated AoU, because they feel betrayed after Iron Man commited the same mistakes even he "changed" during IM3.

establishing characters with a movie for each one is what everyone says, and i'm sure it helped marvel a lot

but i don't buy that it would have the same effect on DC
just imagine a different timeline where
>Man of Steel (2013)
>The Batman (2015)
>Suicide Squad (2016)
>Wonder Woman (2016)
>The Flash (2017)
>Man of Steel 2 (2017)
>Green Lantern (2018)
>The Batman 2 (2018)
>Cyborg (2019)
>Wonder Woman 2 (2019)
>Justice League (2020)

i think it wouldn't work, looks better it would fail anyways
considering that marvel is also releasing 2 or 3 movies each year, people would have to choose between too many options and they'd rather go for what they already know (marvel)

marvel won just because
>they did it first lol
>MoS is a terrible starter

>formula of
-shitty quippy comedy that makes soyboys go berserk in movie theatres
-shitty cgi action
-literally no story or cliche as fuck story that is same for most of the marvel movies
-terrible cgi and cinematography
-shitty cardboard villain
-team ups for better roi

Deadpool's success formula is just extreme version of this.
-

>dyke hair
>uneven cow udders
>fat

Aside from his weight gain and increased quippiness in JL, I still think Affleck is a good Batman. BvS Batman was bretty gud

/thread

They introduced all the main characters (Iron Man, Hulk, Cap and Thor), the main villain (Loki), and the main conective tissue (Shield) before the big event crossover movie, they even bothered to include the side characters (Coulson, Fury, Widow and Hawkeye) as cameos before as well, so we jump right into the plot instead of wasting time rushing tru things like who is Aquaman, Flash, Cyborg and Steppenwolf in a series of disjointed scenes with poor pacing.

also, they made their heories likeable before instead of brooding deep deconstructions like Batfleck and Snyderman. trully the only thing the DCEU did right was Wondy.

Character development and introduction before the crossover movies. Before avengers Iron Man, Thor, Hulk and Captain America were already introduced with their own movies while Black Widow and Hawkeye were introduced as side characters.

DC wanted Justice League as fast as possible and therefore they had to spend half the movie introducing three main characters. That sacrifices the plot and build up of Justice League.

I guess the studio exec's thought that rushing a product, trying to play catch up and having their crossover movie would succeed.

Dey wuz wrong.

Four, Theres a reason Loki is the most liked villain of the MCU, they took his time shaping him as well before the crossover. Steppenwolf came out of fucking nowhere, him being a videogame character instead of a real actor didn't help either!

You sound Indian.

>Four, Theres a reason Loki is the most liked villain of the MCU, they took his time shaping him as well before the crossover. Steppenwolf came out of fucking nowhere, him being a videogame character instead of a real actor didn't help either!
well its interesting because with marvel movies for the most part their villains (especially in the first movie of a character) are disposable.

But the avengers villains worked for a variety of reasons. either in character or greatly advancing the overall plot of the universe.

Steppenwulf was just a hollow, unlikable character that could've been replaced by just about anyone.

I honestly dont know how Marvel gets such high rankings. its nauseating they seem to be graded on a different format. like they are evaluated in a bubble, and reviewers only cared if they enjoyed it or not. but story, directing, and in general the filmaking of those films is nothing more than mediocore

lol No.
No. user. They just make good movies. It really is that simple. Don't be so duhdoi.

Before any dcuck tries to say ""there's no need for solo movies !!!!""

the only reason people cared about DCAU justice league and unlimied, it's because of the solo series from batman and supes,

They have forgotten that literally everything it's about build.

You must be retarded, dcuck.

there actually was a green lantern in the new movie

some comic book fans think the marvel movies are amazing, with their flaws

homecoming and iron man 3 are utter shit though

BvS batfleck is the best batman I've ever seen, if only he had a deep voice

Disney spends approx $1billion/year on shilling campaign

listening to dc fanboys explain why the dc movies are actually secretly good and marvel just paid off critics/appealed to sjws/whatver is eerily similar to listening to alt right crybabies explain why they can't get a girlfriend because women are all sluts/bbc addicts/brainwashed by the jews

It's the same logic, they find themselves in a shitty situation, make up an outlandish conspiracy to explain why they're in that situation instead of just admitting that maybe the problem lies with them, and then shitpost all day about how we're the idiots because we're blind to the """""truth"""""" when in reality their movies suck dick and they can't get women cause they're 5'4"

not bait just drunk and venting sorry

Marvel has 1 dimensional villains.. but at least they’re not retarded

Marvel movies are absolutely kino. You just don't get them brainlet

>skip straight to Civil War one movie in
>have to introduce Batman all over again >and Wonder Woman for some reason >stupid villain with no motive, ruined Lex
>Lex's plan had moving parts that he could only know if he read the script like knowing both Batman and Superman's identities
>Lex was written to sell t-shirts with quoted to Hot Topic shoppers
>plotholes up the ass
>It's such a mystery u guyz

It's the same fucking mistake everyone else made! What's there to wonder? Stop announcing cinematic universes. Marvel didn't, Marvel didn't make it clear until The Incredible Hulk's ending when Tony Stark appeared. Unless you were a movie nerd who was looking into what was happening behind the scenes you didn't know, it was a surprise for people who stayed after the credits.

>Disney
It was Paramount who did part of the initial risk