Alright, let's settle this: Would the zombies in The Walking Dead actually be enough to set off a global apocalypse...

Alright, let's settle this: Would the zombies in The Walking Dead actually be enough to set off a global apocalypse, or is that just shit writing?

Season 1 zombies are a global threat. After that they’re a joke.

I don't buy it. Slow moving, slow turning zomboids would be easily stamped out.

RUCKL'M'URSK'SURM

I guess it depends on how quick people would be to react and how quickly it happened. The walking dead zombies are the same style as the Romero zombies so no matter how you die you'll come back as one, so imagine 150,000 of them on the first day alone, that's over a million in the first week and that's not including all the bite victims. Yeah the zombies are dumb and slow and easy to kill but it's in those early days where it'll do the most damage. Apocalypse? Nah probably not but it would be mass anarchy and social destruction for a while.

Shit writing.

I thought they mentioned it was because there is a virus that kills people and zombifies them and the survivors were simply immune to it.

Shit writing, especially considering how easily they beat them in later seasons.

A bad flu is more contagious and more likely to set off an apocalyptic event.
28 days/ world war z style zombies are much more believable. Not to mention more exhilarating to watch cause a running psycho is always a threat.

Nobody is immune, they're all infected.

>everyone in the world is infected
>”flu is more contagious”

What did he mean by this?

I believe comic author mentioned that this is a alternate world where they never had zombie literature or movies, and people are more unprepared

I think if you could contain the initial outbreak, carpet bomb the affected area and send in the military in time it would be ok

That was a copout. Disease doesnt lie dormant and then activate itself at the same time almost everywhere.

How do you define an apocalypse exactly? The walking dead has plenty of survivors, even some resemblance of the U.S military/government

Realistically:
>Zombies begin showing up in an area
>nuke or burn that area off the map
>problem solved

That shit would get quarantined so fucking fast.

>nuking an airborne virus

genius

It would be a problem, but not apocalyptic.

But they were immune to the first mass epidemic where everyone died and turned. In twd 95% (give or take) of the world's population died on z day and became zombos

>thinking it will survive temps as hot as the sun

zombies too stronk

Well it was never really explained how it first started so who knows if people died first because of the virus or if the dead bodies from the recently deceased were the first to come back

>actually defending running zombies/""infected""
Fuck off.
>especially considering how easily they beat them in later seasons
Wow, you mean people get more experienced doing something over and over again?
Wow, what ever will they think of next?

EY

EYYYY

EAAEEEYYYYRIK

MASK
U
SUMN

>problem solved
>in a world where every cocksucker screech about open borders
>in a world where Open Society runs smuggling business in accordance with Lybian slavers

We have missed the apocalypse by a hair, because a year before the migrant crisis exploded, there was an ebola outbreak in northern Afrika.

What are you, a fucking white zombiephobe?

>he thinks treating and/or quarantineing ebola is an issue anywhere but the bumfuckest of darkest Africa
loving every laugh

you don't even need to carpet bomb shit. if there was a panic on the street people would get in their houses and lock their doors or run/drive away. boom. twd zombies couldn't get past that already.
the few who would get caught and turn, could easily be dealt with by police and military.

>getting upset at the superior and more believable zombie variant
Good argument too by the way.

>Wow, you mean people get more experienced doing something over and over again?
Meandering blobs of soft tissue whose main weapon can be rendered useless with some cardboard and duct tape. Not much of a challenge after a week or two.

no it wouldnt, the only realistic zombie flick is Shaun of the Dead

this right here. you guys see a bunch of flesh eating zombies but I see an engineer, a doctor, a lawyer. it's time we embrace our new zombie friends.

Ey ershll man maskusumfin

Does the virus destroy your skull as well?

>Not much of a challenge after a week or two
So what exactly is your problem with how deal with zombies in TWD?
Should they all struggle for 15 minutes with a single zombie?
Should all the zombies from season 3 onwards be wearing riot gear or be metal plated?

The original point was clearly referring to the OP who asked if these kind of zombies could cause an apocalypse.
Judging by how easy they are to beat i argued no.

It depends on if the writers want the people to be helpless and afraid of zombies, but most times they just easily dispose of hundreds. Like last episode when Negan and priest were walking through hundreds of zombies and nothing happened.

I believe they explain it by saying these zombies are old af and their skulls are basically destroyed already

But the people only get more experienced when the plot needs them to. Then they go back to being dumb and scared when the plot needs them to.

Remember a couple of episodes back when one of Negan’s followers was laying on the ground with a gun in her hand and she just let one random zombie bite her neck. Why? She literally could have just shot it or stabbed it. But she did nothing, just screamed and died.

Zombies would die in exactly the same way humans. Anything that would kill a human would kill a zombie. Starvation, dehydration, asphyxiation sickness, blood loss, blunt force trauma, anything. Because your body needs all its various systems to do anything. If your body doesnt have oxygen to turn into bla bla then its just a paper weight. Its all physics, not magic.

they are immune to the part that kills them, not the part that turns them to zomies after they die.

i think

Yes, the rotting form of zombies would be a goldmine in medical science. The body would have to create an array of super redundancy to stay functional.

>The "Shoot em all" US military can't stop slow moving zombies

No

That would be logical but the producer gimble said that isn't the case.

>NO RULES OF ENGAGEMENT PUSSYFOOTING AROUND CIVILIANS, SHOOT EVERYTHING THAT MOVES

GLORIOUS, JUST KEEP THE AMMO COMING
MIDDLE EAST WOULD BE OVER LONG AGO

Thats not how TWD works tho. If everyone is infected, you havent accomplished anything.

Besides, I assume its based on Romeros Dead series. In that case, the cause is unknown.

I like how the hordes just casually lumber around in forests and foliage for years without breaking their limbs and becoming immobile.

They established that even if you don't get bit and die, like from starvation, you would still become a zombie because of something in every human, so the apocalypse would work, as a complete shutdown of infrastructure would have lots of people dying for a variety of reasons... famine mostly.

What is this show even about now? I haven't watched since s4 but it looks progressively more stupid each time I hear about it.

people preaching random bullshit

Assuming everyone's infected like they are in the show it would be the end of civilization. It's not about being overrun by hordes it's about the fact that you are never safe because you bring potential zombies with you. Even sleeping next to your significant other in a completely secure facility would be a gamble for obvious reasons. The only way forward would be 24/7 monitoring of vital functions linked to a monitoring and alarming system of sorts. As tech becomes more and more scarce and difficult to maintain it would spell the end for all groups.

Human soldiers are trained to kill other human soldiers who are also using modern weapons technology and battle tactics. The idea that a bunch of shambling retards trying to bite people could defeat modern militaries is absurd.

Even with buffs like "running zombie" or "anyone who dies at all turns" wouldn't help them. The only thing that would stop them from getting neutralized immediately is the headshot rule because you train to shoot center mass and that'd still be no help because modern rifle calibers would still tear apart spines and muscles to the extent that they couldn't stay standing. Then it'd be a few hours with our communications technology for humans to realize and spread the word to the entire planet that you have to aim for the head.

You are all wrong and frankly i cant believe no one mentioned this.

In the walking dead universe, there were no zombies. At all. Romero movies never existed, the concept alone was unknown. Thats why everyone didnt even understand wtf was going on. In the first few episodes you see people trying to talk to zombies as if they were human because they thought its just some hobo having a fit. Also they dont know that bites kill you initially. The main point here is knowledge, which no one had at the beggining, thus making a global apocalypse more than realistic. Now go to bed, case closed.

They could just run over the hordes with tanks.

didn't you see return of the living dead, bitch

Every human is infected, meaning every death is a new zombie. Considering how many people at the beginning didn't know what was happening, that meant a hell of a lot of zombies going around. Military aren't trained to fight hordes, so they just end up getting overwhelmed or flanked.

An apocalypse is likely. A complete eradication of the military, less so.

>military aren't trained to fight hordes

Doesn't mean they couldn't

>You are all wrong and frankly i cant believe no one mentioned this.

Doesn't mean they could either.

>Even sleeping next to your significant other in a completely secure facility would be a gamble for obvious reasons.
What world are you living in where people spontaneously die for no reason?

The zombie threat would be made up, primarily, of geriatrics and babies, as the very old and very young will account for the majority of natural deaths. Unnatural deaths are, by comparison, rare. They also generally involve significant bodily trauma. Meaning your middle aged zombie is likely some fucked up car accident victim who can't hardly walk, at best, wedged into the frame of his totaled Nissan, at worst.

Ergo, early zombie contact will be weighted heavily in favor of the living. The details will quickly be learned before any catastrophic outbreak can occur, and the military/police will be more than capable of putting down the small pockets of zombies that do emerge.

You think modern conflict abandoned line tactics because they were too effective?

I think modern conflict abandoned line tactics because the battlefield changed. They aren't prepared to suddenly leap into a different kind of war.

Epic headshot argument.
Yes, because the military will exclusively shooy at center of mass. They can't simply say: "Hey, try to hit the head instead" after it is proven useless to shoot CoM.
It's like they can ONLY shoot CoM becausr that's what they train for so it must be they can't physically aim elsewhere.

You are a literal tard. One person would get bit by a FUCKING REANIMATED CORPSE WHICH IS EVEN FUCKING CRAZIER IF YOU DONT HAVE ZOMBIE LORE and it would be all over the news.

Even if all the recently deceased people in the world suddenly came back they could not overrun people. everyone would just stay in doors and be fine. Zombies require a massive suspension of disbelief

Its like any epidemic if the spreading rate is critical then society and civilization will break down.

If you had to go to the grocery store Wednesday after work you have your answer.

never mind they're all carrying weapons that can shoot time after time as long as they have ammo. DO YOU PRO ZOMBIE REALISM FUCKTARDS REALLY THINK NOBODY WOULD ATTACK THE HEADS? HAVE YOU NEVER SEEN A STREETFIGHT?

Have you ever heard of the black plague? Ebola? AIDS?

Diseases spread, awareness barely helps.

The battlefield hasn't changed at all. The tactics have. And they've done so for a reason. This is trivially true. The notion that the military would be at a loss with how to counter a slow, shambling mass of squishy unarmed targets is absurd.

Yeah because the collapse of all public infrastructure, health services, food and water processing, distribution and transportation, power distribution and so forth wouldn't have an impact on life expectancy at all.

This collapse requires a catastrophic outbreak. For the reasons already laid out in the post you quoted, this would not happen.

Bro didn't you know?
Only real gangstas can aim for the head bro.
Soldiers are physically blocked out of headshooting...
Get on with the news friend...

they would throw a party because they would think they were bitten by Jesus?

>"The battlefield hasn't changed at all"
>confirmed for pleb to be disregarded

It literally hasn't. The terms of engagement have changed, and this necessitates a change in tactics. You think warfare was never taking place in cities before, or something?

Yeah, remember how we dealt with those in like, months?
I assure you, if a Zombie epidemic ever breaks out, it will be tamed before the 1000 victims.

zombies wouldn't work after 1 or 2 weeks. Also they can't bite or claw through thick clothing.

>Yeah, remember how we dealt with those in like, months?

They haven't been "dealt with", bud. They're still going strong.

maybe the virus is a kinda of syphilis

Disregarding the initial infections (that is people that died due to virus) I can't imagine more than 5% getting turned.
Nigga just lock your doors. Military would setup a machine gun at every corner and mow down anything that can't identify itself as thinking human.

Sure. Okay.

Not to say that, when you're dealing with zombie you can actually kill the host (while you cant kill an HIV posititve) and that makes dealing with the infection so much easier

The problem being that the virus has already infected everyone, without showing any symptoms. You aren't trying to combat the spread of the virus when it's already spread.

>That was a copout. Disease doesnt lie dormant and then activate itself at the same time almost everywhere.

Diseases also don't reanimate the dead

So?

>The problem being that the virus has already infected everyone, without showing any symptoms.
We Plague Inc.. now

So your whole point is null and void.

it's a biological weapon of alien origin

Well, apocalypse just means change so yes. If dead started walking there would be a massive change. Things would be rough for a few years but we would bounce back.

>zombie virus outbreak
>people start getting infected
>people start to kill zombies
>some faggots who happen to be bored start a #zombieslifesmatters group to protect the life of those poor zombies who din du nuffin
>news of said group reach the news trough twitter
>jews at the top of the news channel pick it as a history because muh shekels
>it is now against the law to kill zombies
>humanity extinction ensues

no. irl zombies couldn't even move cause skeletons can't move around on dead/rotting flesh. even a few hours after death the rigor mortis turns the body as solid as a statue. and they'd rot away to nothing in short order too so the first wave of zombies immediately upon the apocalypse won't pose that much of a threat for more than a week max (subsequent zombies will have figured out to pierce the brains after death leading to significantly less amounts of fresh walkers)

>no because zombies arent realistic
what insight

No is not

All right. Seriously. I'm taking the piss out of you, but you're clearly dumb so I don't think you can understand even if I explain it to you.
I'll try anyway for the benefit of the thread.

The infection is inert and asymptomatic, until the moment of death. That means, the infection per sè isn't a problem at ll, even if it's on a global scale.
You don't need to cure it, you just need to make cremation mandatory.

So, you deal with the initial outbreak where people die because zombie kill them like you do every other epidemic, quarantine and all that,, and then you're done.
Maybe you'll face some other cases here and there because of malpractice in dealing with normal people deaths, but you'll never get an apocalypse out of a zombie scenario

>No is not

Yes, it is.

kek you got me

This season 2 they were strong and fast too
>actually jog
>wield rocks and items to use as weapons and smash windows
>know how to open doors
>attempt to climb ladder
>climb chain link fences and jump off them
>rip open a rib cage with mere finger tips (dale)
>take multiple stabs/smashes to the head to die (Andrea with the screwdriver in the rv is a great scene)
I remember once on talking dead someone asked the show runner why they could climb fences and shit in season 1 and the little snake literally laughs it off and says "yeah well if we kept those type of zombies the survivors would all be dead long ago"
No you bitch you'd actually have to try and make believable survival scenarios

Romero style zombies would cause a massive break down of infrastructure and probably the collapse of a lot of governments but it would be recoverable.

Look how poorly we handle natural disasters that we KNOW are coming. Now just imagine that all over the world. You'd have mass panic, riots, no support from anything which would just drive up the numbers of the dead. It would spiral pretty fast before it calmed down to something manageable.

Wouldn't all the zombies just fall apart?
They can only remain intact for so long with rotting body parts, right?

mmmask you sumting

>You'd have mass panic, riots

I swear to god, this happen only in the US

No.

The only "realistic" zombie scenario is one in which the zombies are caused by some sort of airborne pathogenic infection and only few people are immune to it. Other than that, even fast zombies, are not a conceivable threat to global stability. Biting is simply a terrible, terrible way to try to spread an infection and would be quarantined within hours. Even airborne infections are quarantined in that time.

On top of that, even with an airborne infection, the zombies would be gone in one to two months because of rot, animals, insects, heat, cold, rain, etc.