Apparently i'm supposed to hate this classic episode becuase it's in season 11

>apparently i'm supposed to hate this classic episode becuase it's in season 11
wtf simpfags?

it's a very silly episode

congratulations on your shit-post

>Classic episode
>Jerkass Homer
>Maggie suddenly has superhuman strength which is conveniently validated by Dr Hibbert because reasons
>Ron Howard

sneed

I think there's still some decent eps in s11-12, I seem to recall the one where Homer goes on a hunger strike and the one where he has a crayon removed from his brain and becomes smart are from round then and I like those

Bart in a bubble was pretty good too

S9+ have good episodes, but no kino episodes

It had a few decent gags, like most episodes from season 10-11

Like said though, it has all the calling cards of a terrible modern episode.

NO ONE CAN ESCAPE THE LAIR OF THE MOLE PEOPLE

the show was watchable up until season 13, when al jean took over

I just watched HOMR and it's really not as good as you might remember it.

Years from now, people will recognize Season 11 as the only Golden Age season.

This is just very lazy trolling. That episode was awful.

just turn your brain off, user

>Homer, you can't just ride one accomplishment for your whole life. Why do you think I stopped acting and became a director?
>I don't know... because you weren't cute anymore?

My personal guidelines are:
Seasons 1- 7: God tier
Seasons 8 - 12: OK Tier
Seasons 12+ trash but with some good episodes.

>episodes that didnt age well

>the one where he has a crayon removed from his brain and becomes smart
That one is fucking terrible, what's wrong with you.

I can't believe anyone in the world thinks s1 is better than s8 or even s9 really

s8 is mostly really fucking great and s1 is really fucking weird

It aged perfectly.

Why wasn't Lenny supposed to get pudding in his eye?

no one even knows what Behind the Music is anymore

I'm in the minority because I seasons 1+2 are my favorite. Because it wasn't really 'The Simpsons' then, some of the stories were really wonderful. One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish Blue Fish is still my favorite episode as it's not just wacky, madcap adventures and has a ton of heart.

holy shit I haven't seen this since I was pretty much bart's age. I have always avoided post season 10 simpsons but I think there might actually be some unlocked nostalgia to be had from when I used to watch the new ones when I didn't know any better

This episode is fucking terrible and one of the flagship 'what the fuck has this show become' eps imo, but I do still frequently find myself thinking 'yvan eht nioj' for some reason

>find myself thinking 'yvan eht nioj' for some reason
It's fucking catchy. Probably the only good part of the ep, makes you actually feel subliminally messaged.

>"music has nothing to do with the music bussiness Mrs. Simpson"
that episode was good

>jerkass homer
but that's best homer

>People only like the boring ass episodes where the family still goes to church and shit

Episodes like are kino

THIS PARTY'S HAPPENING
IT'S NO MIRAGE
SO I'LL SAY IT AGAIN
PS3 has no games

I feel the same way, my favourite episode is Moaning Lisa. I think the show started to decline in season 5 (the ending to Bart's Inner Child especially comes to mind)

>I think the show started to decline in season 5
not even a real opinion

This. Season 12/13 activates SO much nostalgia for me, I haven't watched most of those since I was a kid

I also have this in my head an awful lot. Terrible episode though, N-Sync is rough stuff

Best side character incoming

>MC Hammer uses Bart and his friends to brainwash a fleet to allow him to blow up Mad Magazine HQ for making fun of him
Pure kino

But Ron Howard appearances are based

>fuck guys, how do we end this episode?
>uhh.... the ferris wheel comes loose, crashes into the zoo and lions and hippos and shit are running loose around the middle of Springfield and everybody's screaming
>perfect

I don't think it's a good episode from begining to end, but the payoff was satisfying. Kinda on the same level as the early Lisa's introspective episodes. One of the few meaningful episodes from the zombie simpson's era.

Isn't this the episode where Homer goes on a tv celebrity tour for his 5 minutes of fame, including hollywood squares, which gets by a wave and everyone dies? and also ron howard and many other disposable "stars" have guest role? and at the end homer decides to kill himself by walking into the ocean but maggie swims and saves him?

what a hunk of garbage

>slapstick elements on a cartoon equals decline in quality
>forget that time homer jumped a ravine
>forget that time ozzie smith fell on another dimension

>decides to kill himself
???

>Golden Age Simpsons (approx S2-S9)
>Homer
>Well-meaning father but prone to buffoonery and simple fears
>Has a short temper but rarely holds a grudge or lashes out to those who don't deserve
>S10-11+ Simpsons
>Homer
>Incredible selfish jackass
>constantly committing acts of violence and taunting and general assholish behavior on countless people who don't deserve it
>shows zero self awareness
>interested only in his own entertainment from tormenting people, things, animals

Note that there are not hard dividing lines between seasons. Some episodes in seasons 7-9 show the cracks starting to form. Other season 10-11 episodes are more or less passable. I think the earliest "bad" episode (and one often widely viewed as "good" by most mouthbreathing normies) us S05E03, "Homer Goes to College". While it ostensibly is a spoof of college movies and the overexaggerated nerd/jock clique divide (even self-referencing itself with the in-universe "School of Hard Knockers"), Homer still displays uncharacteristically antagonistic attitudes towards everyone and everything. He repeatedly suggests a plan of rolling a man up in carpet and throwing him off a bridge. He tortures a pig. He hits a man with his car and ruins the nearly lives of three college students. All while showing zero regard that anything he is doing might be wrong. While the season quickly returns to normalcy afterwards, this episode will always be remembered as a rare stinker amidst the roses.

He decides to kill himself by jumping off a building. I don't remember why he was in the ocean. What's so bad about the episode?

Trying to teach maggie how to swim. Most of the jokes weren't that good, but I think Homer seeking some kind of meaning was pretty good. Not a bad episode imo, but not near the best.

It's full of Asshole Homer, forced gags that don't really work (sound like they were written for another show and imported into the Simpsons), too many "hey remember this celebrity/nostalgia thing?" TV references, Homer getting involved in too many nonsensical activities outside of his means.

>"hey remember this celebrity/nostalgia thing?"
Of all the episodes featuring guest stars as themselves, this and Homer at Bat make the most sense, considering the plot.

It's really nice getting into the Simpsons right about now when you can just ignore the nitpicking over which episodes are good, kino or cancer and just, you know, enjoy the show. Maybe when I've mapped out the seasons in my head or run out of pre-s13-14 episodes I can start judging like that but right now I can just enjoy my holiday weekend and comf the fuck out.

Another Sneedpost get:

BASED KARL

I agree. It's not like Ron Howard just appears out of nowhere. Homer was on a game show with celebrities. I also like how every celebrity on that game show was a fictional in-universe one except for Howard himself.

>out of nowhere
???

Watched that episode last night for the first time in years. Harvey Fierstein has the best voice in Hollywood

What?

Seasons 9-13 aren't all bad so much as they are a toss-up. Some episodes are great and memorable, others are dumb and pointless. Principal and the Pauper was the worst episode but that happens early in Season 9 so it gets the worst out of the way.

It's just that seasons 2-8 of the Simpsons are so great that it set the standards very high among viewers (Season 6 in particular is unanimously agreed to be the best) so when 9-13 were airing it polarized viewers as they expected better.

Season 14 onward is just unwatchable.

The part where the balloon chokes him is my all time favorite simpsons gag

That's a great episode with one of the best jokes.

>Lieutenant Smash?
>That's right. Lieutenant L. T. Smash

>Even the dumbest kids in the dumbest town know better than to join the army

Stupid bullshit made up by that one shitty blog and then perpetrated by retards who have never even seen the show. Homer was always an asshole who would go as far as stealing his nice neighbours bomb shelter and dooming him to death just because. Simpsons always had ridiculous plotlines and events that make no sense like retard asshole Homer going into space. Simpsons always retconned shit and made up characters life events for one episode like in the B-Sharps episode.

The only thing that changed is that the writing isn't funny anymore. That's the only change.

>typical contrarian bullshit
Yeah no, watch the series sometime, in order.

No, Sneed YOU

The Simpsons is overrated honestly

>Simpson Tide
>Trash of the Titans

Whops.

>muh jerkass homer
>it never existed before the show sucked
That zombie simpsons post is absolutely retarded.
>the reason the show sucks now is because Lunchlady Doris died

this episode came out the same year 9/11 happened - the year that reality fractured

I liked it when I was a kid. Don't know if it holds up or not

I did, it started to go bad only after (or during) Mel Gibson episode.

That college episode is great and making up some weird reasons to hate it isn't helping your case.

I liked the early episodes because Homer wasen't a selpish sosiopath, but was more human and a silly stupid dad and not a neglective one

>so many stupid people confused him for Harvey Weinstein that he had to make several tweets explaining they were two different people

I have done so multiple times over the past year, and he's right. All those retrospectives that analyze the golden years of the simpsons are full of shit. All the elements that they decry in the later years were present in the early years too. Even the supposed "Flanderization". Flanders becomes over the top God-boy, really early in the series. If anything, he becomes more complex after that episode where he goes in a rage and has to deal with his feelings towards his parents. For a few seasons after that, he's more like a normal person. Dunno what he's like now since I always stop after season 12 or 13.

Flanders now (like all the other characters) is pretty much a combination of all his past versions.

The show tried to right itself ever since the HD era, toning down the wacky plots and trying to fix the characters (except Lisa) and now it's only real sin is its not consistently funny and is terrible at ending plots.

The worst of the show is between 12 and 19 where its horribly unfunny, the biggest sin people give the current show is that it's bland.

No, this is true. Dead Homer Society is filled with nostalgiafag retards

Is there a point when Homer became (semi)retarded, or was it a flowing manner.

Basically the two biggest shifts in the show are right when Scully took over (for the worse) and right when the show went HD (for better or worse)

>The worst of the show is between 12 and 19 where its horribly unfunny, the biggest sin people give the current show is that it's bland.

S18 is about to released on dvd and I'm almost certain I'll buy it, just like I bought all the others even though there is barely any rewatch value in any post S13 episodes. The latest episode I genuinely love is The Lastest Gun in the West and even that's generally hated.

I'd recommend some modern kino but the thing about Simpsons is that after a certain point, you can never tell if you'll love an episode just because someone else did. But there are a few everyone seems to agree on the quality off like Halloween of Horror, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind or A Totally Fun Thing

>stupid people
>implying its easy to tell two sniveling kikes apart, especially when they have very similar names

This. I hate the dead homer blog so much, everyone in the internet fandom now just takes their opinions as truth. Then again I think Who Shot Mr. Burns part II was the turning point of when the show started to get bad, so I’m more aware that we can all have crazy opinions about this debate.

They have behind the meme now.

>Halloween of Horror, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind or A Totally Fun Thing

I'll make a note of these. I skimmed the episode list/descriptions of S18 and don't recognise any of them. I stopped catching any new eps at all somewhere around 16 & 17. Later than I thought.

Season 8?

I thought he was dead.

There's good episodes all the way up until season 18 faggot.
The number of good episodes just gets less and less every season after like 9.

This was an embarrassingly shit episode. Kys.

Honestly the teen seasons are a blur, there's a lot more I can vouch for from the modern era compared to then. I think there was one about lacrosse last year that was just damn great

>Homer was always an asshole who would go as far as stealing his nice neighbours bomb shelter and dooming him to death just because
Except he, (and the entire fucking town) decided against it. Not the greatest example.

>kino
What the fuck does it even mean at this point.

I don't give a fuck if they still manage to write a decent story and jokes every now and then, the soulless animation and tired voice acting is more than enough to make it unwatchable.

Is that little Bryce in the back seat?

I would assume, although that episode aired in 1999 and she was around 18 at that point.

Well you know what they say..

Early seasons had a ton more heart

1-2 Ok tier
3-7 god tier
8-10 Ok tier
11+ did not watch

Garbage lists. The decline started in season 7, but there was a considerably dip in quality starting in the ten season. Season 9 had the Principal and the Pauper, the season 10 had atrocities or very mediocre episodes like "When You Dish Upon a Star", "D'oh-in' in the Wind," "Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble," "Sunday, Cruddy Sunday," "Homer to the Max," and "The Old Man and the "C" Student." I don't see how you can just lump season ten, and the even worse seasons after it as if they were just as good as season 8.

To me it seems like the movie makes a good milestone. Before it there had been a steady decline in quality for several years, but after the movie came out was when it entered the absolutely dreadful state it's in now.

I don't think so. The decline after season 10 was pretty much constant and dependent on your tolerance for mediocrity when you want something that resembles the Simspons even if you have to watch Zombie Simpsons. I personally can't watch any episodes past season 14. I'm looking the summaries of episodes for the season that aired in 2006, a year before the movie came out, and it's pretty much all unwatchable garbage.

I only speak from personal experience. Around the time the movie came out I was watching the show a lot, and a lot of early 2000s episodes, and I always liked them. Within a couple of years I started getting tired of the show, but maybe that was just me growing up and realizing it wasn't that good rather than the show getting any worse.