2000AD storytime: Devlin Waugh

OK Sup Forums you might think you've read about vampires. You might even think you've read about gay vampires. But you've probably never read something quite like this before.

Who is Devlin Waugh? Described as a cross between Noël Coward and Arnold Schwarzenegger, he's an effete occultist rippling with a muscles, a Vatican investigator from the world of Judge Dredd. And, to my knowledge, still the only character to beat out Dredd in a 2000AD popularity poll.

Let's read Swimming in Blood.

Other urls found in this thread:

i40.tinypic.com/54absk.jpg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Waugh
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

(Let's not forget his name is a bad pun)

Conversation in the thread is very welcome. Whole point of a storytime, right?

Devlin steals the show as soon as he shows up.

The man knows how to make an entrance.

True that.

So Bahama still exist in Dredd world. interesting

WHOOPS

A lot of places are still around, just radically changed. It's the urbanisation and environment more than the actual landmasses that have changed.

i40.tinypic.com/54absk.jpg

>getaloadofthisguycam.nav

ay, good shit dude. Will you do Red Tides after?

Devlin is one of those characters who you'd really like to cross over with a whole bunch of stuff.

Maybe not today, but tomorrow? I plan on a couple of other things over the coming week too.

awesome dude

Devil in wow-g?

I love him so much.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Waugh

It's not fair, we're supposed to be the monsters!

The Occult Investigator is always a fun character. I wonder if Judge Anderson already existing and dealing with the same subject and in the Dredd universe has to do with Waugh not lasting as long

Edge of my seat

There's a page in this that is still one of my favourite comic book pages ever. Anyone who doesn't know it will when they see it.

I own an original page from that. :D

Was this in 2000AD or Judge Dredd Magazine?

Related question, when did 2000DAD go full color?

Devlin is at least a pretty considered character (parts of his life are clearly based directly on ) which we get into more in later, more biographical stories.

I don't think it's a toe-stepping thing so much as several of the subsequent Devlin Waugh stories were either a) a complete clusterfuck and/or b) just not very good.

It would be fun to see them meet in a longer story, for sure. Or like, Devlin Waugh meets Hellboy? Instant buy.

1. this story was in the megs
2. no idea

It's the bitch slap isn't it?

The Meg. OPs first image is the cover of the issue it appeared in user.
2000AD went full colour in the 1990s, but still prints B+W strips from time to time.

That's awesome, can I ask which one?

This was the Megazine. I think the first full colour 2000AD prog was sometime in the 90s.

>when did 2000DAD go full color?
Late 80's early 90's. That's when you start seeing a lot of these gorgeous painted comics like Simon Bisley's Slaine: The Horned God

Also I'm pretty sure 2000AD never had hired colorists, it's always been on the artist

Well, that whole scene really. I was thinking of the page before.

Drama king much?

[Spoiler/]i love it [/spoiler]

>just not very good.
Yeah I own the DC/2000AD trade of this, beside this the only other story I liked was Devlin being held in customs by Dredd

God damn it i suck

IMO the direct sequel to this is at least readable, and some of the later stories have good character moments but yeah, a lot of dross there too.

"Innocence & Experience" was actually pretty good and got closest to the high points of the character if I remember right and then just... nothing came of it.

Here we go.

Goddamn

God

Damn devlin. This is the shit that got you banned from the olympics.

DAMN

yeah, this is the page

>Aquatraz
kek

I had no idea this character was from 2000 AD.

I gotta admit, I'm confused as to how you could know the character and not know that.