/lbg/

Letterboxd thread: post profiles and discuss what you have recently watched

QOTD: Recommend a lesser known film from the year that corresponds to the last two digits of this OP

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/OriginalName3/
youtube.com/watch?v=qBCD3mUtgg8
mega.nz/#!3lwViACC!I7iY19LVLemV8JNZYKDigU5DDzp8JsSO-LkB2tWpiIQ
letterboxd.com/machill54/
letterboxd.com/pro/redeem/blackfriday/?utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=black-friday
youtube.com/watch?v=TNsEK_IIs9U
letterboxd.com/blackstreetboy
letterboxd.com/creamy/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You don't really think you'll win, do you?

Yes!

letterboxd.com/OriginalName3/

I saw your list. What makes Griffith good

Better than Nosferatu

youtube.com/watch?v=qBCD3mUtgg8

why does bruce post portraits of directors whose works he has never seen and most likely will never see

You know, I saw a trailer once for this other film Ernest Borgnine was in, and in it he was telling the audience a story about how he always gets fan mail addressed to "Marty" assuming that Ernest IS Marty in real life.
If that's not a testament to great acting, I don't know what is.
Whether it's Marty or Mermaid Man, the ability to embody a character so well to actually have people convinced that you're really them is something that all actors should aspire to in their work. Not only was Ernest physically good, he was able to portray such a charming and sympathetic character with such nuance (around a quality supporting cast as well), and additional credit goes to the script by Paddy Chayefsky. The other nominees of this year bent towards offering common love stories just with a few differences, here the romance feels far more real and engaging, and without the need for Cinemascope to inflate the budget. It's films like this that show there's still worth mining in the romance genre.
I think it was too short.

4/5

>paddy chayefsky
>ernest borgnine
those aren't auteurs

You're just mad that griffith never wrote a script nearly as good as the one on paddy Chayefsky's tuna fish napkin!

>script
Umm sweetie...

>4/5
must be because bruce could relate

>here the romance feels far more real and engaging
12th for realism sucks!

I dare bruce to write an intelligent well-made review of Hearts of the World

I'm just gonna downvote it :)

Why?

Because it's slow, boring, and the camera barely moved :)

Reminder that what people mean when they say David Wark Griffeth was stagey or "play-like" is that they're not accustomed to good cinematography or having taste. He was a pioneer and master of the tableau style of cinematography He advocated depth, density, location, acute spatial alignment in the frame with subtle accentuating details and thereby constructed images worthy of being hung on a wall. Hardly something that can be claimed for much anybody else.

Concept art for comparison

How'd he do that without a matte painting?

Because Griffith is God. The weather, like everything else, bows to his will.

"DW Griffith made the first great motion pictures. He brought beauty and poetry to a medium which before was an otherwise tawdry form of amusement."

>muh parlor tricks
kill yourself, subhuman
griffith is trash and will be rightfully forgotten by future generations of cinephiles

What should I watch tonight?

>cinephiles
If having the attention span of a 5 year old doesn't qualify you to talk seriously about art, giving yourself a name with 4 syllables certainly won't

Whatever is playing at the movie theatre and looks good.

Should I go to see a 4K restoration of Heat?

yes

t. soyboy

t. soyboy

Mr. Original Doggy gives Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond – Featuring a Very Special, Contractually Obligated Mention of Tony Clifton a 3 star rating

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

no
no

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

Bresson and Ford are for nerds, why don't you watch Science Crazed instead!!!!!!!!

>A mad scientist injects a woman with an untested growth serum. She dies, but gives birth to a full-grown monster.

mega.nz/#!3lwViACC!I7iY19LVLemV8JNZYKDigU5DDzp8JsSO-LkB2tWpiIQ

eurocrime movies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

letterboxd.com/machill54/

Excited for In Fabric, the new Peter Strickland film that recently finished shooting

wonderful suggestion

wonderful coffret

NO

I liked Street Law. Rabid Dogs was fine. Where do you recommend I go from here.

*VOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMITSSSSSSSSSS IN YOUR MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTH

the ting goes

Milano Calibro 9 (and the others in the trilogy) are legitimately fantastic action films
Gang War in Milan is a lot of fun too

sexy!!!!!

megaautist likes frog vomit!

ewwwwww!!!!!

I have never in my life been interested in frog vomit. There is only one my heart holds dear.

who the heck is eddy?

yikes

Eddie is the only mortal I have ever loved.

Only the mind of a child abuser could enjoy Griffith's parlor tricks and primitive antics

can I get an actual movie suggestion 'please'

Ooh! stinky!!

*VOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMITSSSSSSSSSS IN YOUR MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTH

Ooh! sexy!!

The first episode of Michael Mann's HBO series 'Luck.'

Ooh! sexy!!

Is it as fun as it looks?
Sale today on Pro

letterboxd.com/pro/redeem/blackfriday/?utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=black-friday

Ooh! sexy!!

>Coming off of her recent win for The Beguiled at Cannes, which made her the second woman (and first American) to be named Best Director at the festival, Sofia Coppola has secured her reputation as an American master in her own right.

>Beginning December 8, the TIFF retrospective Sofia Coppola: A Name of Her Own explores the visually stunning works of the famed director.

Which of these are worth seeing?

Sure.
Florida Project was p fun.

>Best Director at Cannes for The Beguiled
Oh Cannes, why do people continue to venerate you, again?

>megaautist
youtube.com/watch?v=TNsEK_IIs9U

Why do people think 2001 is good?

Most critics hated it on release but it became one of the highest grossing film of 1968 for the star scene

But why do people think it's good now

You got your answer already.

Did Griffith ever make a match cut like in 2001?

Did Griffith ever use metaphors as clever as Kubrick did with the Monoliths?

>Dude 1+1=evolution lmao
No, Griffith is not an imbecile.

>I can't think of anything clever so I'll just put these black blocks here and let the audience make it up
No, Griffith is not an imbecile.

You're just mad because 2001 is more complex than any Griffith ever made.

No. I'll give you another truth. There's not a single frame in 2001 that looks beyond mediocre.

That looks like a play. Kubrick is cinema.

Cinema is a vulgar medium. Find me 1 frame of 2001 worthy of being hung on my wall.

csgo has been cancelled today, gonna watch a couple of films. I hope I have something downloaded already.

letterboxd.com/blackstreetboy

>the big brained Kubrick fanboy can't engage with any arguments besides accusations of "2deep4u"
How surreal

Should I?

letterboxd.com/creamy/

Follow the Creamy

Fuck the Creamy

Definitely

It's 'notes on cinematography,' I remember buying a second hand copy years ago and I never bothered reading it.

You seem pretty intelligent. What do you think of DW Griffith?

You seem like a very intelligent person. What do you think of DW Griffith?

>rohmer
>deren
t. soyboy

>me
>big dick, white, high iq
>watch the best movies, according to tspdt

>you
>eunuch, half-gook, stupid
>obsessed with griffith, a second-rate director and racist

Oops!

>a gun and a girl
Who said that