Dune

Who would you cast as Paul in Villeneuve's Dune adaptation?

Miles Teller

Kyle MacLachlan

I don't know why Sup Forums is obsessed with casting actors that are twice the age of the characters.
I also don't get why people care so much about casting Irulan when she is barely physically present.

>I don't know why Sup Forums is obsessed with casting actors that are twice the age of the characters.
Paul's about 16 when the book starts but it's hard to find an actor that age who could pull off the role. Might as well get someone a bit older who looks young.

some mediterranean looking fagtor

I just posted an actor who could. I don't know many teenage/early-20s actors, but surely there are enough people here to come up with suggestions?

>"five more pieces of this incredible Shai Halud please"

>"damn good melange"

>"I can't wait to get the taste of this Maker-flavored coffee out of my mouth"

true kino

>I also don't get why people care so much about casting Irulan when she is barely physically present.

Because they for some reason think the Irulan opening scene in David Lynch's version is a must-have for the new one. I don't get it.

you set her up in the final third act as the mirror to Chani, obviously. no way should she have the opening.

Irulan is almost a non-character in the books though. She exists purely for Chani to be jealous in Messiah. Dune never even so much as acknowledges her existence.

>Dune
Meant Paul, dammit.

>I also don't get why people care so much about casting Irulan when she is barely physically present.
Reading all her quotes in the books and wondering who she is and why she's so interested in Paul and then learning that she's his wife who's been totally cucked by Chani in fucking great. The movie can probably get by without involving her much, but on the other hand she's very important in Dune Messiah so she should have a good casting.

But she doesn't do shit in the 3rd act. Her only major presence in the book is at the start of each chapter, completely separate from everything else.
Irulan would not have to be in the film at all, except for Paul to just marry the emperor's daughter. She wouldn't need a speaking role, and pretty much doesn't in the book.

I'd say they'll want to set up for sequels (though making Messiah and Children blockbusters seems almost impossible). But her role in Messiah is significant enough they'll probably try establishing her a little.

If you're not thinking of a trilogy on the scale of LoTr the story's not going to work. Dune only works if you see the rise, fall and apotheosis of Paul and his family.

If you just want a one-off film just do Haldeman's Forever War. Shirely.

>tfw you gom jabber and she keeps on voicing

look at the future boys, this is what awaits you

Idris Elba

this be his daddy leto
if he had ever met him you kno

>Dune only works if you see the rise, fall and apotheosis of Paul and his family.
Why? The 2nd half of the book is a huge stepdown, but the actual meaning of the ending is a great way to leave the film. Characters don't have to succeed at everything, and Paul realising He's failed to stop the jihad despite getting so much power would be a great way to leave it.
The film shouldn't be a 100% faithful adaption anyway. The second half will just seemed rushed and jump around like crazy, with characters being forgotten left right and centre. Then you'll get ridiculous shit like Paul's sister, and her trip to the Emperor's ship etc.

my friends and i were talking about some cynical studio decision like casting an all black atreides family. i don't actually think it would happen but holy fuck could you imagine what it would look like

>Alia is "ridiculous shit"

Fuck off.

>If you just want a one-off film just do Haldeman's Forever War.
Forever War is great and the different future earth societies would fit right in with the current political climate
>lawless cyberpunk chaos
>500 years later everyone's a brown gay hippie
>and then we just become a collective consciousness
>but that's okay because I can still live on a farm with my waifu

>a toddler with ancient memories goes alone to the Emperor's ship, where she proceeds to kill the antagonist in a rushed, poorly described and anri-climatic scene that is not swelled upon in the book again
Everything about the ending of Dune, except the last 2-3 pages is fucking terrible

>Then you'll get ridiculous shit like Paul's sister
Alia's one of the most interesting characters, imo. While Paul was able to control his genetic memories, hers mix with her own personality as she gets older. At one point she says that she both completely hates and completely loves her mother, because she correctly blames Jessica for what happened to her, but she also has Jessica's memories so she understands her love for Leto and her decision to have Paul first as if she actually was Jessica. She also catches herself thinking of Paul as her son and not her brother sometimes. It's pretty wild.

So just expand on it. I don't know how else you'd want the Baron to die. It's not like he could put up a fight. And unlike David Lynch's version, they could actually develop Feyd so that the final duel is actually climactic.

She might be fantastic in later books, I haven't read them because when Dune stopped worldbuilding and focused on story (after the aircraft 'crash' in the storm) it went downhill so fast.
In Dune she is ridiculous. Maybe it's not her character, but how that final Baron scene is written was abysmal.

>characters being forgotten left right and centre
>in the first book

You're playing devil's advocate for the sake of it. Going to need examples.

and:

>Paul's sister
>ridiculous

no. one of the best stories of the first three books. the relationship with the new Idaho is spectacular and very moving.

PS Kelp here, Kwisatz Haderach was a loser

I prefer the part when the Baron takes over and makes her fuck teenage boys.

The climax is either when the Fremen charge across the sand to fight the Sarduakar coming out of the emperor's blasted ship, or when Paul fights Feyd. The Baron's actual death is irrelevant and it's fine that it was anti-climactic. He's a dick, he doesn't deserve better.

It's not Cervantes or Shakespeare, but I find the level of written word pretty good in the first book considering it's scifi bildungsroman.

If you honestly can't see the potential in the first film of a female psyker, a literal Abomination, you don't know jack about storytelling.

>2017
>not casting reviewbrah as paul

The Idaho clone romance is far more interesting.

>insert eggman quote here

now that's the clearsky thinking that I've learnt to love and respect from Sup Forums.

This.

just make her a teen ffs are you that dense christ

stop treating it as gospel have you never heard of an adaptation

>You're playing devil's advocate for the sake of it. Going to need examples
Hawat is just forgotten about. He comes back maybe twice once he's being poisoned. The baron chapters in the last half are the best bits of it, but there's not many of them.
Gurney gets like one brief mention once he's part of the smugglers, then just bumps into Paul. Once he bumps into Paul he pretty much immediately takes action against Jessica. There's no build up, it just happens straight away because the book has gotten very rushed.
Fenring (And wife) are quite clearly in it purely for the sequels.
Paul and his distrust of Jessica (at one point he says that she is his enemy) is just forgotten for a good chunk of the book. His tense relationship is mentioned in the final chapter, but it's just forgotten about because the book was so rushed that there are massive time skips, during which characters are separated.
Maybe I'm misremembering, but Stilgar and Jessica have some sort of bonding when they first meet, which is then dropped.
The wife of the guy Paul kills has like one scene with Paul, then after the time skip she's babysitting his sister.
Chani and Paul have a baby, who you know about for like 20 pages (And never meet, nor really care about) who then just dies.
There's probably more.

I don't care how great she is in later books - I'm talking about Dune

same scope as A.I: Artificial Intelligence? Think it'd be brilliant.

I'd honestly just be psyched to see an adaptation of God Emperor.

Obviously it would be completely different from the book and focus primarily on the action that happens off-screen in the book, but seeing worm Leto in live action would make me wet.

They could also stand to do an anime adaptation.

Idris wouldn't make a bad Stillgar or some nameless Sardukar.

>He's a dick, he doesn't deserve better.
He is built up as a vile rapist who drugs underage boys that look like Paul - it would have been 'neat' to have felt something other than the urge to groan when he died.
>If you honestly can't see the potential in the first film of a female psyker, a literal Abomination, you don't know jack about storytelling.
Why are you downers so obsessed with countless sequels? How about just making her good in the film as well? They don't need to follow the books to the letter - in fact I've been saying they shouldn't this whole time.

I don't know how adding chapters focusing on what secondary characters were up to would have made the book better tbqhon.

i think arguably the most difficult thing is getting the aesthetic right

Because some of us actually read the sequels and liked them?

Why wouldn't it? It would stop the book from feeling so rushed and jumping around like crazy.
Not to mention Paul is a 'decent' character and nothing more. Some of the side characters are where Dune shines.
Are you telling me you didn't enjoy the parts (And the potential) of Paul seeing his mother as his enemy?

A lot of the stuff you're complaining about could have been shown, but the story works out just fine without it, so why bother? Brevity is a virtue in literature, not everything needs to be some sprawling hyper detailed epic like aSoIaF or Wheel of Time. That Herbert creates the sense of scale he does with relatively few words is a sign of his talent, not a strike against him.

Why would you settle for 'a character being shit now, but she'll be great in the next film promise' as opposed to making her good in the film she'll definitely be in?

read

>Are you telling me you didn't enjoy the parts (And the potential) of Paul seeing his mother as his enemy?
Yes. And I read the fucking sequels which expanded on it.

>Why wouldn't it? It would stop the book from feeling so rushed and jumping around like crazy.
Because not everyone shares your opinion that the book was poorly written in the second half.

Jesus. You really just assume your views are objective fact, don't you?

>That Herbert creates the sense of scale he does with relatively few words is a sign of his talent, not a strike against him.
The sense of scale Herbert creates is perfect in the first half when things are moving very slowly, and you have the build up of the world and characters, and the interactions I'm talking about.
Herbert lost that sense of scale in the second half - when everything is rushed and characters are left behind.

That's it right there

You know film makers are allowed to expand upon things not explicitly detailed in the book... right?

Not him but that doesn't work because the circumstances surrounding Alia's birth (and thus her abilities) could only come about if she was in utero while Paul and Jessica were just shacking up the the Fremen.

Now you're just repeating your post over and over.

Patrick Stewart can still play Gurney Halleck. He hasn't aged.

Alex in Clockwork Orange is 15 years old in the book

ASR whips Bella

So make the time skip longer.

He couldn't pull it off. Not charismatic enough. He's been a block of wood in every movie I've seen him in.

Charles Dance for Emperor Shaddam.

I respectfully disagree.

Stop posting the same stuff over and over.

Read
>They don't need to follow the books to the letter - in fact I've been saying they shouldn't this whole time.
If your suggestion is make her a teen, then go for it. I don't see how it works, but fucking why not.
>Because not everyone shares your opinion that the book was poorly written in the second half.
>Jesus. You really just assume your views are objective fact, don't you?
Oh, I'm sorry. Am I on reddit. Do I need to say 'imo' before saying something potentially unpopular, and throw in a pun to not get downvoted?
How long have you been posting here? Not long enough to know that people tend to be posting their own views when they're talking about what they think of something?

That was such a shitty casting though. Gurney is specifically described as an ugly grizzled war veteran with face scars.

does he still keep the pug

James McAvoy played a great Leto II in the Sci-Fi version of Children of Dune. Someone like that would make a nice Paul.

>Herbert lost that sense of scale in the second half - when everything is rushed and characters are left behind.
I don't agree. The second half is more sparse than the first because it's handling more plotlines and characters as the story grows. However, it doesn't need to be slow because the atmosphere of the world has already been established in the first half, so the pace can be faster as the audience watches events play out in a world they have some understanding of.

the problem was with the script and not the casting. the David Lynch film is great but the production was a nightmare

Patrick Stewart can do Gurney's character perfectly though, they just needed to put him in more make-up.

>Cast the same person to do the same character completely and utterly different from how he did him the first time

Sounds a whole lot easier to just cast someone better suited for the role.

Obviously I'm saying the same thing over and over.
>well Herbert did this thing well
>ok, but I've been saying I don't think it was done well, so I disagree
Are you expecting me to just come up with a new opinion each time? Saying Herbert was a good writers because he created a great sense of scale with little words is meaningless to me - because I disagree with that, which should be obvious from everything I've posted.
I'm heading to bed anyway - but what the fuck do you expect? You're acting like my opinion should have changed from something you guys have said. But it hasn't. So does that mean there should be no discussion? If you still hold the same opinion you did at the start, you should just shut up?

>stop treating it as gospel have you never heard of an adaptation

t. crybaby faggot who complains when black people get white characters in films

yep

just go to bed.

I think it just dropped the stuff I was interested in, in favour of what the story became. I've already posted above some of the stuff that was dropped that I was disappointed in (I mean not all - I don't give a fuck about the wife of the guy who Paul killed, that was just an example).
All of the stuff I liked may have been expanded on in the sequels, but I wouldn't know because I lost interest due to how things turned out with Dune.
It doesn't help that I've seen /lit/ posters go on about how the 4th/5th book is great, whilst the others are worse than Dune.

Why would you want to have a "discussion" where you just repeat your opinion and the person you disagree with also just repeats their opinion.

Are you as insufferable in real life, user?

Reminder that Atreides are arabs and described as 'olive skinned'
Sorry white bois, but your washing ends now.

4th/5th book

There is only one book, user. Everything else is a prelude.

Summer Glau so it gets cancelled.

They were literally Greeks. Descended from Atreus.

But I'm not JUST repeating my opinion - someone asked me to give examples of characters/interactions I thought were dropped. And I did.
I'm not only saying 'the second half is shit, and you're an idiot if you disagree' repeatedly.
I genuinely don't know how else you expect to have a discussion with someone who you disagree with..? I stated my opinion and what I'd like the movie to avoid, And I expanded on why when asked.

Okay. Thanks for the help!

>I think it just dropped the stuff I was interested in, in favour of what the story became.
I respect your opinion but I have to admit that I don't really know what you were expecting from the book. Maybe that's because I've read some of the sequels, so Dune makes more sense to me as a whole, but it seems foolish to me to separate the two parts of the novel into a good part and a bad part. It can only be understood as a whole.

Like, you claim that Fenring is obviously just sequel bait, but he's there the expand on what the Bene Gesserit plan was, and what the Kwisatz Haderach actually is. Fenring is genetically almost identical to Paul, he has the peak intellectual ability, co-ordination, etc, that make Paul a great fighter and commander, but he doesn't have the magnetic charisma that builds Paul's messianic legend. Fenring is brooding and quiet and strange, not someone who will be deified after making every attempt to avoid it. So after thousands of years of breeding, there were many candidates close to what the Bene Gesserit needed, but Paul's combination of Atreides and Harkonnen genes ended up producing "the one" first.

>t. false flag fag who couldn't imagine if there was a black person on Sup Forums

go to bed disney shill

>ITT fake bitches

Leto - Idris Elba
Paul - John Boyega
Jessica - cast any white bitch don't give a fuck

my ranking would be 4>2>1>3, although it's easy to argue 1>2. I like 2 better because I always enjoy the "realizing how shit things actually are after you beat the final boss" meme.

And the book is probably way worse than the movie to boot

nah, I'd say both are masterpieces in their respective fields.

>run, die hard!

I actually go 4>1>3>2

I liked Messiah but it didn't impress. I honestly really enjoyed reading Children even though it seems to be the most universally agreed "meh" book in the series.

That's young Leto right there

2 and 3 are very intermission-y, whichever you like over the other is up to what tropes you enjoy mostly. I enjoy the weary self-sacrificing hero who loses hope over what is essentially a fairly linear heroic story, but you could argue that 3 is better structured in terms of action and sets up 4 very well, so to each his own.

4 is easily the best though as I think most would agree. I normally don't enjoy aphorisms very much but herbert is a genius so I'll give him this one.

1 is better as a standalone work but I like 2 better in the context of the series. Duncan coming back is one of my favorite scenes in literature, and the whole idea of Paul being so deep into his visions he can see without his eyes is awesome.

Kyle would make a perfect duke Leto.

They need to take the visuals from the jap covers and yes that is a ship made out of that specialized wood

Older Duncan should be played by drake but no one will ever listen to me