What are some good films about mythology?

What are some good films about mythology?
I quite enjoyed the animated Beowulf.

Thor: Ragnarok

>Thor will never be directed by based Snyder
>Amon Amarth will never so the soundtrack

They are good, faithful to the stories.

Does Arthurian Legend count as mythology?

This film is a comedy

Made in 1997 and it is a miniseries, again, it is good.

So is Jabberwocky

>"Telemachus, now is the time to express your anger."
TV minikino.

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen involves gods from mythology and high tales but I wouldn't call it it a strait mythology story. It's good though.

I've never seen this but I am going to have to now.

It's great. Closer to 18th century tall tales that were popular at the time, but that is in its way a basis for mythology.
Also that literal godtier Uma appearance.

It's not the best comedy out there, but it is worth watching. That screen was from the fight with the titular jabberwock, which happened to be my favorite part.

There should be a webm of Uma's descending scene for the webm threads. I'm suprised there isn't one yet.

Agreed.
Make sure it includes the shot where you see her nipple.

Since this seems to be partially the thread for it, how hype is everybody for The Man Who Killed Don Quixote? Seems like he's finally gotten around to finishing the damned thing.

Speaking of 18th century tall tales there is also the 1996 version of Gulliver's Travels which is another miniseries. The production value is high and it is my favotire adaptation of Swift's book.

Did he completely reshoot the film? Is Johnny Depp in it?

Good taste. I loved it too. Something about miniseries in the mid 90s. Like the producers actually gave a shit.

This was actually one of my favorite movies growing up. Love this shit.

Not sure if he completely reshot it, but the poster implies he did.
And no, Depp is definitely not in it.
The cast list actually seems good. Outside of Star Wars and Girls I actually like Adam Driver.

Patterson was surprisingly Kino, the typeface they chose excluded

Yeah, I don't know why there were quality miniseries at the time. My favorite version of the Christmas Carol is the Patrick Stewart one and his Moby Dick is also good.

Yeah, the guy's definitely good at what he does. He just got roped up in the Kathleenverse.
Gilliam'll make good use of him.

Always wanted to watch the Moby Dick miniseries but I was never sure about it.
Also wondering if the William Hurt adaptation is good.

That album kicked ass.

I was suprised it was good because I was expecting some TV movie spiel. It's cool they got Gregory Peck a role given his classic performance in the film version of Moby Dick. I only vaguely remember the WIlliam Hurt version though.

>I only vaguely remember the WIlliam Hurt version though.
Not exactly a good sign. Shame, considering I like Hurt.

>Ireland will NEVER produce or be involved in a big budget adaptation of Irish mythology
>will never get a movie about pre-human giants
>we will never a movie about Cuchulainn
>we will never a movie making use of a wealth of legitimately freaky fairy lore
>let's just make more depressing shit about the troubles and magdeleine laundries and 'comedies' about inner city dublin junkies
This country is obsessed with remaining miserable and will never capitalize on the culture it claims to be so obsessed with, except fucking drink and leprechaun memes. That one animation studio in Wicklow or something made like three mediocre cartoons, that's it. Can't stand this island.

Is that fucking Mike Stoklasa?

>Olga Kurylenko
Don't mind if I fucking do.

>That one animation studio in Wicklow or something made like three mediocre cartoons
You talking about The Black Cauldron?

Nobody cares about your shitty potato mythology

I think he's talking about Secret of Kells.

>thread about mythology films
>I don't want more mythology films
My man, please

Real shame about Rochefort, but Pryce is never bad in anything and he works great with Gilliam. Might be cool.

He'll be fine.

It's a thread about good mythology, Ireland's is as meh as America's

This may or may not count depending on whether you count Folk stories as mythology.

Great movie anyhow.

This pretty much devolved into a general folkloric fantasy thread.

If you want to be a sperg about it, technically it's good FILMS about mythology, not good mythology. And to be honest I'm not gonna argue, I don't have an especial love of it, my post is more just awe of the Irish government not capitalizing on this shit ever. I also find America's hodgepodge melting pot mythology pretty interesting.

I really hope it's good - Gilliam's last few movies have been subpar

Possibly counts.

It's a 19 year old screenplay, which helps.
And Zero Theorem was his best film in years, which was a pleasant surprise.

My nigger.

Any interesting films involving Slavic folklore or mythology?

John Wick.

>guy summons undead skeleton warriors that never die
>they BTFO the heroes because they're undead skeleton warriors that never die

Why are modern movies afraid of consistent power levels

Beowulf
Moana
Kubo
Hercules (Disney)
that one movie about killing Medusa from the 60s or 70s or something
Gods of Egypt I guess, but this movie sucks.

Are there any movies based on Christian mythology? I have yet to see a movie about Angels raining down from heaven and destroying Gomorra or whatever

Watch a playthrough of Bayonetta

Noah. Now fuck off to Sup Forums

to Sup Forums? What? I have never read any comics.

Jesus christ grow up.

The Prophecy (1995), none of the angels in it are nice. They are treated like God's agents of destruction not hallmark card angels. But it is a independent film so don't expect a CGI fest. They are inhuman, hard to kill, they have to rip out their hearts.

Troy is uneven but watchable

In the heart of the sea is better

Ring of the nibelungs

>“Well, we’ve almost finished the cut. We’re just fiddling now, figuring out a few things here and there so it’s pretty much what it is. We’ve got still months of work to do on visual effects, sound, music. But as far as the tale, it’s pretty tight now and it’s surprisingly wonderful."
>"I always hesitate to get too optimistic or too excited about the work I’m doing. I’d rather try to stay cynical and slightly distant from it. When you fall in love with something, it’s painful when it doesn’t work for everybody else. But all the people who’ve seen it so far — they used the words, ‘We’re in love with this.’ So let’s see if they’re right.”

Anybody betting Gil's gonna die before post is finished? The Man Who Killed Don Quixote is almost as notorious as A Confederacy of Dunces.

Troy is fucking awful. Helen of Troy is better and actually follows the fucking myth book and includes the greek gods directly speaking and gifting humans, like Aphrodite gifting Helen with beauty.

Also, Viggo Mortensen as Satan is one of my favorite portrayals of the character.

And one more thing....

John Huston's The Bible: In the Beginning tells Old Testament stories as segments. Adam and Eve, Noah's Flood and the destruction of Sodom and Gomorra. The angels go to the city of Sodom but the destruction is seen from a distance. I think it was something akin to a nuclear explosion then Lot's wife turns into a pillar of salt.

Thanks man, sounds exactly like the biblical ones. Whenever God sent them to earth, it was to wreck shit up.

>Ignatius Reilley is often compared to Don Quixote
>Most of the actors slated to play Ignatius have died before it could happen, particularly John Candy, Chris Farley, John Belushi, and even Divine
>Steven Soderbergh began to produce it
>head of the Louisiana Film Commission gets murdered
>Katrina hits
>Soderbergh goes on to say Dunces is a cursed project and it has yet to be filmed
Spooky.

>then Lot's wife turns into a pillar of salt.
Scared the shit out of me when I saw that as a kid. Why didn't she just not turn back like she was told?

This looks kino as fuck.
Sarah is suppose to be a fucking bitch tho.
I hope it shows what happens to Cain after he gets kicked out of Eden.

The film did well and sequels were made but they are progressively shittier than the last in the series. The first one is the only good one. The second had friggin Eric Roberts playing Michael.

how are you guys not sick of norse, greek or roman mythology theres at least like 2 movies about it every year

It is one of the best bible movies, up there with the Greatest Story Ever Told.

>Directed by John Huston
All you need to know. Watch it now.

I can't think of any from this year unless you count barely related capeshit.

Because most norse, greek, and roman mythology movies are shit, and we don't bother watching them.

Nothing worse than a bad bible adaptation.
Speaking as a Christian, that 2013 miniseries was insulting.

Sure, but it was its own story. I want the book itself translated to the screen.

Arrogance, an angel tells Lot's family not to do it or they will be endangering themselves and she did it anyway.

>we'll finally find out why that giant was pretending to be a windmill
I'm ready.

I know why, but holy shit it was upsetting to see when I was a kid.

>the odyssey
>muh trojan horse from the iliad

Why tho

Why not? Only good part of iliad anyway

Odysseus was in that battle. Hell, the Odyssey was about him coming home from that battle.

Merlin miniseries with Sam Neil was very enjoyable. Also stars Martin Short.

The Trojan Horse was Odysseus's idea, dumbass.

bait

The miniseries starts at the end of the Trojan War. The Trojan Horse was Odysseus' suggestion and after the Greek victory he became arrogant and began boasting by the sea how he won the Trojan War. This pissed off Poseidon who contributed to the Greek victory, and cursed Odysseus to wander the ocean for his hubris.

A Dark Song

Any user seen this film? I haven't yet but it is suppose to be kino.

This was basically the order of events between the stories, too. Odyssey was a direct sequel to Iliad.

>be me
>see movie title
>see that it includes a scene from its source's prequel
>wonder why it's not just called Odysseus if it's just all about sucking Ulysses' dong
>bunch of randos get butthurt
>the state of this board
Lol

Kinda dumb if you ask me though. If they called it Odyssey then they shouldn't include shit from the Iliad, they're two entirely different stories/styles. I'd suggest that they call it Odysseus instead but they have all the subplots about other characters like Telemachus too. It also really wasn't that good of a series desu

Outlander should get a mention. It's based loosely on Beowulf and has some mythology.