How did Dick got military contract on this piece of junk? It has less mobility than a tank...

How did Dick got military contract on this piece of junk? It has less mobility than a tank, it's also less armored and can be shot down with a rifle, not to mention imperfect AI. It's literally useless.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/aXQ2lO3ieBA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They bought it for a dollar

Lol.

They just make the humans into robots.

Dumbass kids making Verhoeven threads.

Over-budgeted, overpriced, corporate American junk

Like pic related

Who cares if it doesn't work?! I'm cashing you out Bob!

The old man thought it was pretty important.

"I'm very disappointed in you Dick!"
"I'm sure it's just a glitch."
"Just a glitch?! Construction is scheduled to begin in six months! Interest payments alone will cost millions!"

That's the point, op. The ED209 sucks but no one cares because the suits are just playin with money.

alri granddad

user

I have some bad news about military contracting

If you read the interviews with the designer, ED 209 being totally impractical was the whole point. It was satire, especially of the American motor industry of the time. That's why he has a massive grill right in the middle of his face for anyone to shoot at, for instance.

This would make a pretty cool wallpaper

It was a different time

>It has less mobility than a tank, it's also less armored and can be shot down with a rifle, not to mention imperfect AI. It's literally useless.

sounds perfect for military procurement. think of the $700 spanner and the $12,000 toilet seat. the bigger the waste, the more money they can spread around.

on top of that, if they DON'T use all of their allocation, they get LESS next year.

It can operate within buildings. Tanks can't.
/thread

The whole film was about corporate America running wild, pointless spending on shiny projects while people starved, because bull-headed old farts were clawing at glory.

ED209 is a beautifuly, hideous, noisy, hi-tech piece of shit, but 80s America just couldn't get enough of that crap. Look at their inefficient cars built like tanks just because, that they drive 100ft to the walmart filled with mountians of sugary food that will be landfilled in a month.

ED209 wasn't good, it was just incredibly American. And in America, thats all that matters.

fpbp

OP doesn't understand what government does to incentives

it doesn't matter if it works because the people making the decisions aren't spending their own money. they face no consequences for making bad decisions.

not only is there no mechanism to reach the correct solution to problems, there is an incentive to stop anybody who tries to improve the system. see what happened to Bob Morton when he got his Robocop program greenlit in place of ED-209

and when I say "corporate america running wild", I specifically mean when corporate america partners with government, like in the case of OCP.

a free market puts immense constraints on all individuals and groups. corporations typically can't sustain above average profits because high profits lure competitors into an industry. but if a corporation manipulates government regulations to create artificial barriers to entry, then a corporation can make large profits indefinitely.

That's very interesting. Do you have link to this interviews?

lol, there are dozens even more useless actual military research projects

>It can operate within buildings.
As long they don't have multiple stores.

>How did Dick got military contract on this piece of junk? It has less mobility than a tank, it's also less armored and can be shot down with a rifle, not to mention imperfect AI. It's literally useless.

HELLO

I COST 1 TRILLION DOLLARS

I don't see a problem here.

>OP doesn't understand satire

>Do you have link to this interviews?

Not him, but I know that either the commentary track or the 'making of' doc (or both!) on the dvd cover this. Commentary is Paul Verhoeven and the writer Ed Neumeier getting into all the detail. Recommended.

Thanks, i definetly look into it.

Why the fuck does that thing cost so much? If you have the blueprints a single jet shouldn't require all that much more material than a modern camping van

Well user it's simple it's just because YOU HAVE 15 SECONDS TO COMPLY

>The pentagon wasting money on stupid shit that doesn’t work? No way!

Are you 13 or just really autistic?

>By 2017 the program was expected over its lifetime (until 2070) to cost $406.5 billion for acquisition of the jets and $1.1 trillion for operations and maintenance.

Sorry, im not from murica and not familiar with pentagon policies.

which is why you dont trust corporate bigwigs saying "please mr trump, tax us more"

You should be we basically own all relevant europe countries with our level of influence.

Tax me more so you can buy even more useless shit from me

Why should i? Im from russia. Although our army tends to spend money on even more useless shit.

>Im from russia
I'm so sorry.

USMC still uses this piece of shit. Military contractors are fucking lazy and incompetent. Government doesnt give a fuck about efficiency.

It's okay bro.

Robocop makes a good double-feature with the HBO movie “The Pentagon Wars.” (One of the most important movies ever made)
youtu.be/aXQ2lO3ieBA