Why was he the best villain to come out of Korra? What was Mike's reasoning to give him a sappy backstory and a waterbender instead of a person who discovered energybending?

Is there anyway in which we are going to get a 3rd Avatar series taking generations after Korra?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Pcs9b5ThOM0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Despite hating Korra as a whole I honestly thought the first season was pretty good and loved Amon, even with the reveal.

The thing that I didn't like was Korra getting her powers back for seemingly no reason and the fact that season 2 basically treated the whole "Benders vs. Nonbenders" issue as completely fixed rather then continuing it.

Hopefully not. Korra was such a fucking trainwreck

I'm still trying to figure out the ending to season 2.

And I'm trying to forget all of the horrible ret conning

Literally nothing wrong with him being a waterbender and having a sappy backstory, the only problem with the finale was that nothing was resolved. The bender vs nonbender situation was just dissolved for no reason.

Where did all the nonbender supporters go after they discovered Amon was a waterbender? Did they just go "huh, guess I don't hate benders anymore" after they were deceived BY A BENDER?

The finale of S1 literally addresses nothing about the rest of the season

I still remember how fun that first season was all up until the end when it started to fall apart. That was a constant theme for the series I guess.

No, I don't think there will be another Avatar series after how Korra sort of failed to live up to what it was meant to be. It really was a mess and all over the place. Would probably be too expensive to do it again at least with the same level of animation. Maybe they could do another series if they found a cheap way to make it.

The concept of him being a super-powerful bender that hated bending was fine. It was just executed terribly and they didn't explore his motivations properly.

>after how Korra sort of failed to live up to what it was meant to be
only Sup Forums really seems to think so, it's still highly rated everywhere else

the main problem is viewership, it just didn't appeal to the larger and younger demographic of cartoon network at the time

He was alright. I liked him and his brother dying at the end.

>Why was he the best villain to come out of Korra?
Because he wasn't your generic bad guy that's just bad for the hell of it. He had a bad upbringing that paralleled with Mako and Bolin.
Plus, he was a non bender that could hold his own against the most powerful of benders and the mystery of how he could permanently remove a persons bending was interesting and new. Was his power from spirit bending like at the end of ATLA? Were they going to expand on that for more clarity regarding ATLA controversial ending fight?

NOPE. IT WAS JUST ALL BULLSHIT.

>of cartoon network
Wrong channel friend, it was on the Spongebob channel.

woops yeah thats what I meant

This. Korea going through the rest of the show gaining it all back starting by being a shitty newbie airbender who is bad with spirit side of shit would have been a good bit of space for the story.

Also they didn't really seem to know what they were going to do with any character. The side characters had no groth most of the time. Why wasn't asami a mevha wizard or some shit with gadgets.

Amorra should have been canon.

>Is there anyway in which we are going to get a 3rd Avatar series taking generations after Korra?

Would Korra be a proper guide for the kid who comes after her?

>is there anyway in which we are going to get a 3rd Avatar series taking generations after Korra?
>didn't even show the series finale on TV
lmao

They really dropped the ball with the Equalist Movement and Amon.

There is literally millions of non-benders in the world, Amon showed the abuse and how to stop it by literally taking over the city filled with benders from all over the world. Him being revealed as a super powerful psychic waterbender was ridiculous and that being the reason why his movement automatically fizzled out wasn't good.

Amon would've been hyped though if he was just a normal person with energybending and Korra didn't back her bending for no reason.

I remember a lot of complains with the series, especially after the end of the first season. Lot of people were upset with Korra's character and that continued through the series. Its high level of animation shielded it from a lot of criticism too, and I guess with the gay ending that protects them from any major criticism. Most reviewers don't want to knock a progressive show that much.

Their biggest mistake was not coming up with a big ongoing story to build the series around like in the first series.

>Would Korra be a proper guide for the kid who comes after her?
Could always do what they did for Korra with Aang and not have them interact but for one single time. Or just have the kid listen to the people around him like how Korra listened to those around her.

But in answer to your more than likely jaded question: yes, yes she would be a proper guide.

>Their biggest mistake was not coming up with a big ongoing story to build the series around like in the first series.
They had that chance just with Amon and the Equalist and Korra losing her bending.

Amon and his movement could've covered the entire series. They already scrapped the mini-series idea the moment they made edits to Asami and other characters. Zaheer and the Red Lotus could've carried the series for 2 seasons as well.

Amon seasons 1-2, Zaheer seasons 3-4. Or just Amon as he spreads the revolution throughout the world and Korra masters Airbending and reconnect to her old bending styles and receives change in character/watching Amon be the great villain he is.

>watching Amon be the great villain he is.
Why would he be a threat on par with the Fire Nation military though? Or Chin the Conqueror? We've seen how easily benders can dismiss nonbenders so long as the plot doesn't want to make a nonbender hyper competent and the bender forget how to bend.

>Why would he be a threat on par with the Fire Nation military though? Or Chin the Conqueror?
Aside from his ability to remove bending. He has control of an entire nation and can spread into the Earth Kingdom where plenty of non-benders live, the revolution of technology has allowed non-benders to take down benders and use advance forms of warfare, he is a great leader with tactics and planning.

He had everything he needed to take over a vast majority of the Earth Kingdom and build proper infrastructure to support himself and transport raw resources.

The story in and of itself was good. I mean bending kinda did fuck up the world repeatedly... since the dawn of time. It made sense that the show could create a good story from deconstructing itself.

I remember all the fan theories on Sup Forums back then. Amon being an energy bender. Amon being a spirit taking bending away from humans.

But we get a blood bender that doesn't have to follow the rules and abandons his brother because.... reasons.

E;R is right.

>I mean bending kinda did fuck up the world repeatedly... since the dawn of time.
>I mean people using bending, and their own will, for personal gain kinda did fuck up the world repeatedly...since the dawn of time.
Fixed that for you.

He's always right, one of the reasons Sup Forums hates him

Benders were just a scapegoat, Bryke pretty much just said "if they stopped being dicks and got along it'd be cool" and to be fair the show has the two richest civilians as nonbenders, a good portion of benders are shown being in squalor, and the government is shown in the past to not be designed FOR BENDERS ONLY though really the idea of a sovereign nation that has to answer to the desires of the everyone else is stupid. Amon and Tarlokk were just creating issues as a means to gain power. Also the timeskip had the entire fucking government revamped and replaced with a nonbender president so there's that too.

Oh I know bending is basically a metaphor for something I can think of when I'm not this tired and about to go to sleep

It just makes sense though that those without bending who saw bending as a force of power that repeatedly through the world out of balance would eventually stand against it.

You see his last video?

youtube.com/watch?v=Pcs9b5ThOM0

I fucking love this timeline

but zaheer was the best villain, he's the only one who's motivation wasn't daddy issues, or mommy issues in kuviras case

His motivation was "chaos for chaos' sake", and was a fucking retard. He's hardly a good villain. The only reason he's a successful villain is because everyone else is fucking retarded.

No, that was Zaheer and his gang

>he's the only one who's motivation wasn't daddy issues, or mommy issues in kuviras case

>Korra visits him in his prison to see if he can change and be a positive force for the new airbenders like how she offered him back in the Spirit World
>Zaheer tells her his backstory that his didn't love him
I wouldn't put it past Mike or Bryan for the comics.

Philosophical Anarchism isn't chaos for the sake of chaos. That's the edgy teenage anarchism that hijacked the meaning of the word.

chaos for chaos's sake is better than "daddy didn't love me enough"

Amon wasn't trying to gain power for the sense of it though. He honestly believed bending was the curse of the world, and he was right.

Amon was right.

Unless they fix Korra somehow.

>He honestly believed bending was the curse of the world
Yet everything he did was domination through his bending power. When your flashback ends with a character leaving to take more advantage of their psychic powers, and then the next time we see him he's doing that, a line that says "oh he learned somewhere that bending was abusive and wants to remove it" doesn't really fucking do anything. You wanna fix Amon's backstory? Change Noatak's name to Tarlokk, and Tarlokk's name to Noatak. That simple.

>Yet everything he did was domination through his bending power.
To fight evil you have to use evil, user. He was forced to become the greatest bloodbender and Amon himself was evil, this is why he wore the mask and hid his bending abilities in the first place.

>Their biggest mistake was not coming up with a big ongoing story to build the series around like in the first series.

Even though LoK was originally made to be a mini-series, it still had a terrible ending, and I agree. People make fun of Greg Weisman for having his shows end with loose ends, but it also prevents shit like this where they don't have an idea of what to do if it gets more episodes than expected.

I rather get an incomplete series than a limited premise that keeps getting stretched out beyond belief.

The difference is that Avatar series is dead.

Mystery, intrigue, realistic competence, and fresh initial motivation.

>Avatar series is dead.
Take that back. Nick my reveal something in the coming months for the 5 yrs Annv for Korra and 12yr annv for LAB

There seemed to be actual effort put into him as a villain compared to Unalaq/Vaatu and Kuvira.

And the sap story looks like Mikes go to because he also has daddy issues.

there is nothing wrong with him not being a spirit bender or a nonbender chosen by muh spirits(retarded) what's iffy is him not believing in what he's saying

he could have believed that bending was shit and really the root of all evil and his lieutenant could have known he was a bender but still followed him anyways

At this point, sure why not.

None of Korra's villians were very good compared to A:TLA, but Zaheer was the least worst. At least he had a (stupid) reason. Amon's whole message was undermined by the fact that there were never explicit examples of non-bender oppression making his equality message seem bullshit

ALL WARS ARE BENDERS' WARS

>Amon's whole message was undermined by the fact that there were never explicit examples of non-bender oppression making his equality message seem bullshit
This, unless the non benders were just still pissed the Fire Nation War caused all the problems and blamed ALL benders for it.

>None of Korra's villians were very good compared to A:TLA
Korra wasn't as good compared to ATLA but don't put ATLA's villains on a pedestal. Most of the ATLA's villains were just as bad.

better be atla bluray and soundtrack release

Azula was fucking God-tier as a villian. Ozai served his role as the menancing face of Fire Nation Imperialism final boss. I'm just saying A: TLA villians were written with a purpose in mind and executed beautifully.

>There no exampleso f non-bender oppression
Did you not notice how ALL WARS WERE CAUSED BY BENDERS.

Or how non-benders lived in ghettos, were harrassed by benders or paid attention to ATLA where non-benders were constantly shitted on?

On another note. Proto-Kuivera would've made a good Napoleon.

>Azula was fucking God-tier as a villian
Azula is a terrible villain in hindsight. She's full of plot armor and a lot of her brilliant plans didn't really make any sense and relied on luck more than anything.

Ozai made for a good fight scene but he was just as two dimensional as Unalaq.

The first rally had him strip powers off the Gang leader benders. The same guys that were shaking down shops in Korra's first day in Republic city. Crime was dominated by benders.

wasted potential, considering the second season was supposed to be about spirits.

This was the hypeist shit when it first aired. Just goddamn, Amon oozed menace.

Would've been hyped if Amon was actually given the ability to take away bending by some spirits.

Him being Koh would be lame.

Best scene of season 1. Not even bloodbenders could stop him.

Wasted characters.

No explanation of how the Fire Nation royal family is doing, or how Lavabending is actually achieved.

Both were thrown to the side instead of getting actual development and became jokes.

>You can actually see him bloodbending Zolt's hand to keep him from moving it.
I never noticed this till now.

>The bender vs nonbender situation was just dissolved for no reason.

It never existed in the first place. The whole Equalist bullshit was already covered in Sokka's Master.

Man I don't remember this at all

I tried to forget about most of season 1 I guess

1 >= 3 > 4 > 2

Season 1 wasn't that bad. Ending is botched.

I remember being on Sup Forums when this aired.
The hype / theories were incredible.
It was literally the most excited I've seen this place.

Too bad Bryke fucked Amon up so bad.

>he was just as two dimensional as Unalaq.
That's entirely all he was meant to be, though. You have to judge the villain's by the parameters of their purpose in the story. TLA's villains are supposed to be nationalistic obstacles, not compelling with rational motivations. Aang's battle wasn't against Ozai, it was against his own ethics at the end. The fight was over when the Avatar State was triggered, but the conflict was never about winning, it was about what to do to fix things. Ozai was as he was meant to be, a wall you can't talk down. Asspull solutions aside, Aang had to beat someone he couldn't avoid, in his own way.

Most of Korra's villains are all structured to "have a point" which is why their two-dimensionality is so dissonant. Unalaq's a fucking idiot, and we're supposed to consider him right to a degree? Zaheer's a fucking maniac that proves Amon's original tirade true. Yet, Amon's story sets him up to be wrong even when he has legitimate fucking points, his backstory being even more deluded and proving the point the show refuses to acknowledge. Kuvira is supposed to be the same way, to the degree that her errors are mostly offscreen. We got to see the fucking bodies of the Airbenders to know the Fire Nation was bad, why can't we see the fucking camps? Oh because Kuvira's not all wrong, just sad. That makes up for throwing your husband to be blown up.

>The hype / theories were incredible.
Fuck, don't remind me, son. It was a different time.

Why didn't they put a non-bender on the council? Even though he's a secret bender this seems like one of those times when the villain is literally in the right but thanks to contrived cartoon morality or some sitcom-like comedy of errors no one stops to take him seriously.

Of course the regular people were pissed.

I was so ready for Mustache Guy to end up being the non-bender on the Council and it being super awkward but it turns out he is good at politics.

I know the bloodbending thing makes a lot of sense in hindsight, but Amon was sooo much fucking cooler when we thought he was able to overcome that kind of shit through training and sheer force of will.

>I know the bloodbending thing makes a lot of sense in hindsight
Psychic Blood Bending makes sense?
...why?

All Korra seasons, except for maybe 3rd suffered from building a complex situation that can't be resolved simplistically, then remembering they are a kids show and simplicity is all they know.

Contrast with ATLA that was consistently simplistic.

I was thinking a non-bender would be on the council from Republic City itself and they would be inept at their job and let the benders on the Council bully them.

Or the Lieutenant (mustache guy) would be some kind of politician in Republic City, winning public support for the non-benders for Amon.

Wasn't there a theory where Amon was an energy bender, and by bending the energy in himself he was able to counter the bloodbending done by his brother?

Ignore him. He's got stockholm.

>Wasn't there a theory where Amon was an energy bender, and by bending the energy in himself he was able to counter the bloodbending done by his brother?
Why? Because he was mimicking the same stance Aang used to energy bend?
That was just to trick the viewers to think that because the creators are stupid.

When it was just revealed, I thought he does what Ty Lee did in the original, just with bloodbending and thus permanently. This makes sense to me.

Apparently, it's not the care, though.

I was just asking back when the scene came out if there was theory out about him being an energybender.

There was that theory, plus that being used as a distracting while, because of his hand placement (on a chi point called the amon) he was actually chiblocking their bending permanently. Of course, that would've been interesting.

>I was just asking back when the scene came out if there was theory out about him being an energybender.
No, everyone just assumed he was.

I stopped watching after the first season.
Are you saying the other villains were even worse?

>3rd Avatar series
Pls no. Season 2 showed they lost it.

I think everyone assumed he was because... he... you know, said the spirits gave him the power to take away a persons bending.

Season 2 villain is definitely worse in pretty much every way.
Season 3's villain(s) are pretty good characters even though their defeat is lifted straight from Scooby Doo.
Season 4's villain is basically just a straight-faced dictator. So at least the ending isn't as much of a let-down since your expectations for something complex aren't exactly high. Could have done without the sob story, though.

4's ending was terrible.
The giant mech? Really?

>Season 4's villain is basically just a straight-faced dictator. So at least the ending isn't as much of a let-down since your expectations for something complex aren't exactly high. Could have done without the sob story, though.

"I'm going to step in and try to restore order and safeguard my nation while nobody else would"
"B-but muh absolute monarchy, muh divine right of kigs!"

I mean, seriously. She's not even worse than the regime she succeeded.

Azula was not a villain. She was a foil for Zuko and a victim of circumstance.

We were deep in dieselpunk territory by season 1 episode 1. If you didn't expect to see a giant war-machine at some point in the series you don't know the genre.

>villain: a character whose evil actions or motives are important to the plot.

She sure sounds like one to me.

Except she wasn't evil. She was only a soldier to her father and it was Ozai who was the true villain.

The most disappointing thing about Season 4 was that Bolin didn't stick with Kuivera long enough for us to get Bolin vs. Mako fight.

I wanted to see Bolin curbstomp Mako with Lavabending.

Kuivera had serious points in what she was doing. Yeah she got a little power trippy, but she didn't try to assassinate the Beifongs in their sleep.

Kys, Scrapper.

I'm not Scrapper, I'm just showing these anons their errors in their statements.

She was evil you stupid waifufag.

Show me where she was evil. We see she hates what she is and wants to change but doesn't know how to. In the beach episode it is revealed that all she wanted was to be loved by Ursa.

KYS
Y
S

How about when she killed the main character of the show and laughed about it.

As I recall, Aang survived that attack and is alive and well. She didn't laugh about it either.

>The creators wanted to revisit the Equalists in the second book, but were unable to do so due to time constraints
-DvD commentary of Season 2

Does this mean Amon would've been alive?

Laughed, smiled smugly, it makes no difference. The point is she was amused and her intention was to kill him.
But hey while your retarded ass was taking over 12 minutes to type out 2 sentences of a response, I decided to start going through finding all the evil tings Azula does in the series
>from childhood, burned dolls for fun
>bullied zuko, lies to her mother to get away with it
>smiled while watching Ozai burn and banish Zuko
>lies to Zuko to try and trick him into being taken prisoner
>tries to kill her own brother with lightning when he finds out her plan and resists
>threatens Ty Lee, her alleged friend, with violence when she refuses to join her in hunting Zuko and Iroh
>pretends to surrender when surrounded by the combined forces of team avatar, zuko and iroh only to launch a cheap shot at iroh when they let their guard, severely wounding him
>attempts to kill Aang with lightning (as well as end the avatar cycle forever), smugly smiles while doing so
>lies and says zuko killed aang when they return because she suspects he may still be alive so the blame would go on him instead of her
>destroys a guys house just because he rejected her for being a crazy evil bitch
>IT WAS HER FUCKING IDEA TO COMPLETELY DESTROY THE EARTH KINGDOM AND GENOCIDE ITS ENTIRE POPULATION INSTEAD OF JUST CONQUERING IT LIKE OZAI HAD ORIGINALLY PLANNED
>tries to kill her "friends" again when they betray her for being evil and crazy, locks them in the fire nations worst prison afterwards
>attempts to kill zuko again
>goes fully crazy and begins banishing all of her servants for no reason
>tries to kill zuko yet again and katara this time
>shows no remorse for anything ever, and comics show she continues being evil

Now go ahead, offer your shitty argument about how she's a gud girl dindu nuffin' just because you like to masturbate to her.

Don't bother.

The guy you're arguing with is a notoriously autistic tripfag. The only reason he isn't wearing his trip is because he got permabanned for getting banned so many times and would be IP banned if he put his trip on.

You're not going to convince him he's wrong despite him being laughably easy to BTFO. The guy's legitimately crazy.

>She was evil
Only the Sith deal in absolutes, DarthFag.