Spongebob creator, Steven Hillenburg was diagnosed with ALS

Spongebob creator, Steven Hillenburg was diagnosed with ALS

variety.com/2017/tv/news/spongebob-squarepants-creator-stephen-hillenburg-reveals-als-diagnosis-1202007865/

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0F0IlLhbHsA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

vocaroo.com/i/s0F0IlLhbHsA

bad joke

>creator of a cartoon people turned into a meme is diagnosed with a disease people turned into a meme
this world has a weird sense of humor.

I've seen 2 people from my family die from this and I'll probably die from it too. Shit sucks.

At least it sounds like it's not the genetic version, which tends to progress faster.

What is it?

Age Location Sex

neurodegenerative disease that fucks up the pathways between your brain and your muscles. you gradually lose most if not all muscle function and usually die from respiratory failure, that is if you don't die from something that your now-shitty immune system can't fight off.

remember that time were retard started droping buckets of cold water at each other as a challenge

well that meme started as someting really serious to inform people about ALS

a disease that makes all of your muscles slowly fail until you die

it's a really a horrible thing

wasn't ALS actually cured because of that though?

Its a neurodegenerative disorder that leaves one paralyzed. The person dies usually 2 to 5 years after diagnosis.

no but they made lots of leaps in treating it from all the donations

cured?

i don't think so, it raised awareness and gave a lot of money to research but i never heard about a cure

Is it still 2016?

2017 isn't looking so good

Something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

no, but it did raise an unprecedented amount of money for ALS organizations. A lot of that money goes toward helping people diagnosed with ALS and their families, especially since health insurances tend to be shit and slow with providing equipment, if they cover it at all. Some of the money went to research and there have been some strides with certain types of ALS in terms of finding more gene codes that cause it and starting more drug trials.

Look up Lou Gehrig sometime.

It's literally the worst fucking disease you can ever be diagnosed with

First your body goes through tremendous pain and becomes weaker by the day. Then you become a quadriplegic. Then you die all within a 5 year period

I'm sad now, ALS sucks

Pic related

If dubs, he'll be fine
If trips, be ready to press F

>Hillenburg returns as a executive producer on the show
>he gets diagonosed with ALS

Goddamn it all

Pretty much

5 years if you're lucky. Or unlucky? I guess it depends on the person.

The majority die within two to five years after diagnosis
Don't know when Stephen was diagnosed

We were fooled. Anyone who thought this was "best timeline" or just a really good one because of things like Samurai Jack coming back were wrong.

This is our punishment for being happy, we get SJ back but Stephen gets the worst disease.

Don't ask for anymore miracles, because they aren't miracles, they're just strong monkey paws.

It says he was diagnosed early.

The progression depends on a lot of factors.

After witnessing and tracking multiple people I know dying from this, I swear that just getting the diagnosis speeds things up. Someone I know had trouble with their leg--pain, weakness they couldn't explain, it was getting worse very very very slowly and just in the one leg--for a year, got the diagnosis, then within a month couldn't move at all.

The found a gene that caused it, which means they're much closer to curing it, but a cure will take much longer to not only develop, but also get through all the FDA hoops n shit

Why is this not being talked about more? Why is there no sticky?

This is as serious as it's gotten in a long time.

This is bad

They're not really much closer to curing it, sadly. There are multiple types of ALS and within those types multiple genes and gene mutations that can cause it. They just found another gene. Which isn't to say that isn't progress, but unfortunately just finding this gene doesn't mean they're much closer to a cure.

because it's like 1:30 am

Popular media don't care for a producers from late 90's early 00's animation

Would you kill yourself if you got this diagnosis?

Hahaha, can't wait for those EPIC Stan Jee Jokes XD

comic and cartoon Sup Forums are completely different

Of course

Now Spongebob will literally die.
Imagine, what would you fucking do if you had ALS?
It really makes me wonder how much of limit life has, and how incredible creators like Stephen are still able to make a tremendous impact in it within our memories.
Thank you Stephen Hillenburg for a show I will never forget.

It would be extremely painful

For Lou

having seen it in my family, no... but I would definitely put provisions in so that I didn't go on a ventilator, and that once it got to a certain point I could go into a hospice facility because the complete lack of privacy towards the end would be too much for me.

I don't want to think about it.

But after reading this stuff it's toying with my mind and my body feels fidgety and I have slight headache feelings because it made me uncomfortable.

Nick's still going to continue the show

>le 2016 was the worst

Fuck off lib shit

>people making quips and joke references about it
I know where I am, I know it's par for the course, and I'm normally used to it, but this is fucking depressing. Hardly anyone is talking about it or gives a fuck and the majority who are talking about it are just trying to be dicks.

This is one of the rare instances where any joke is already considered too far.

Don't you start with your fucking Sup Forums shit. 2016 wasn't that great of a year politics aside, especially in terms of celebrity deaths.

Give it a fucking rest. Not everything is about politics.

Anyways, this is horrible, horrible news to hear.

How about that. Catching ALS is the funniest thing Steven Hillenburg has done in years.

I mean there's only like 2 of those comments in this thread? so

>neurodegenerative disease that fucks up the pathways between your brain and your muscles. you gradually lose most if not all muscle function and usually die from respiratory failure, that is if you don't die from something that your now-shitty immune system can't fight off.
How is Hawkings alive for so long?

If only the people from Steven Universe could get it.

lolwut

lol

Anyway, I'm gonna miss the dude behind the Sponge. I'd be lying if I said I didn't love his animated series and its impact upon the world.

No one knows, it's literally a freak occurrence. Typically the only people who live past 5+ years are those who go on artificial ventilators and even then they usually only keep you alive for about 10 years, max.

I hope at the very least they won't renew the series anymore after the 11th season but that probably won't be the case.

Not even trying to bait but I seriously doubt the mods actually care.
We will get a sticky only when the guy dies.

It's 3:20 AM, actually.

456:00 AM where I am

No, they forgot to do a Facebook campaign. No upvotes = no cure.

As an unashamed fan since I was 8 in 2003 (though not to extreme otaku levels of buying merch because I'm too poor for that)...I'd rather be happy that Mr Hillenburg has managed to make a mark on people from his blood, sweat and tears; that he managed to see that explosive success (>10 seasons and two movies!) before his time is up.

If I were in his shoes finding out about the diagnosis, I'd smile anyway because "I did it". It's better than having your life be so lousy, useless and in vain until the end (God forbid that would happen to me).

With that, I say good luck to him...and may he sail smooth.

Get out of here, Venusian filth.
This is an Earth board.

Just thinking about ALS gives me shivers, seeing yourself losing all your functions, becoming jailed in your own body, must be horrible(at least for me.) I wouldn't even wish it on my worst enemy.

If i was to be diagnosed with ALS, i would just ask for someone to shoot me some powerful drug that kills me almost instantly, instead of becoming an invalid and a burden for my family and close friends.

Best of luck to him and his family, fuck ALS.

Aw... I never get to have fun!

>the creator of Spongebob will die before you do
I don't want to live in this timeline

>Good man dies before bad people who deserve such a disease more, do.

where's the sticky

>I wouldn't even wish it on my worst enemy.
Real talk though. I think we can all agree barneyfag deserves it.

>I know where I am, I know it's par for the course, and I'm normally used to it
So fuck off then.

Just cutting his internet is fine

Even though every famous person ever has said that this isn't the case, I can only imagine what it's like to think about something you've created having such a lasting effect on pop culture. Knowing that when you die there will be obituaries on the evening news referring to you as the creator of...

I'm sure in real life a well rounded person would be thinking about how it will affect their families and loved ones but it's something I'm thinking about from the outside.

>start dying of muscle failure
>insurance either doesn't cover it or takes their sweet time providing you with any help
>have to pay hundreds of dollars in fines if you dont have insurance
Thanks Obama

No, he deserves a painful suffering death because he's a terrible crazy person that wants to kill and murder people and he makes fun of cripples and retarded people. I'm pretty sure he's also a pedo and does a bunch of other nasty shit.

Honestly the one thing that would destroy him is the repeal of Global Rule 15. We all know he'd hate that above all else. And, at this point, he's like the only person that cares about it.

He said he'll stop doing what he's doing if GR15 got removed because he'll think that Sup Forums will be nothing but a degenerates without the pony rule. He has severe mental problems and I think GR15 getting removed wouldn't stop him.

I'm not ready to grow up, stop trying to force me.

you know the ice bucket challenge becoming a meme was THE ENTIRE POINT, right? it was to raise awareness and funds for research, which it did massively.

there's worse diseases, but it is definitely one of the worst that isn't ridiculously rare(like that one prion disease that gradually destroys your body's ability to go into REM sleep)

Most horribly obnoxious teens didn't know what it was for at all, they just did it to be in on a current craze, to get attention, and just if they were dared by a friend.

GOOD! SPONGEBOB IS ONE OF THE SHOWS THAT RUINED ANIMATION AND MADE NICKELODEON INTO THE SHITSHOW IT IS TODAY! FUCK HIM I HOPE HE DIES HORRIBLY!

Who cares as long as it worked?

Except my point was that all those teens not knowing the origins or what it stood for didn't accomplish anything but a game for them.

I know this is Sup Forums and all, but even this was just heartless. Fuck off.

>Spongebob creator, Steven Hillenburg was diagnosed with ALS
gosh, Why couldn't it be cancer or something treatable? Why does it have to be a sickness that kills you in a slow, painful manner.

Oh no! Some teenage girls had fun! Meanwhile celebrities raised millions of dollars for research as well as awareness to an all time high!

WHAT A DISASTER!

Whoa, cool your jets, champ! We all hate what Spongebob has become but he wasn't there when Nick got all those shitty episodes made. He's as much of a victim as we are, even more since it was originally his idea!

He created the monster that's made children and adults into idiots.

>Oh no! Some teenage girls had fun!
Excluding your retarded reaction formatting, it wasn't just girls idiot, and I wasn't saying that was the bad part, the bad part was it became a huge craze for the wrong reason which lost its cause on many people. It got millions of bucks? That's good, the bad part which I was directly talking about was all the clouded fad shit it turned into and it became just a game that wasn't helping.

Don't be a dickhead with the condescending over the top rebuttal.

who cares

Oh cool, they got a few million for research on ALS from attenion seeking celebs. In exhange for turning ALS into something people do for fun? You tell a random person on the street about you having ALS, they won't understand the gravity of it or feel sorry for you, they'd just mention the ice bucket challenge and how they did it and how it was cool or something. Most won't know or really care what the illness does to people. Here's a brief explaination of what ALS is

Well my post wasn't even supposed to have any weight to it until a faggot gave it a chain.

t. soccermom with braindead child

F