/doag/ - Dumbing of Age - "Greetings, Sir"

Welcome back fellow masochists.

Tonight, we go into what might just become the next Toedad escapade. Or not. Might just be a huge dud.

But that's what we're here to find out!

Here's the latest Patreon comic.

We got blue-balled on the reveal for the very next comic, but does Willy have the stones make it 2-0?

LET'S FIND OUT.

Tonight. Midnightish. On a board near you!

Cerberus does not approve. Install trans.sys in your System32 folder for greater enlightenment.

It's a bait and switch, mark my words.

Part of me wants to know what drivel he would bait-and-switch for. On the other hand, we need a big shake-up.

lol, so much for Willis pretending that therapy is a good idea. "Well it might not make my waifu a rage-filled bitch, and that OBVIOUSLY can't happen"

The "sir" is actually a woman. And if you thought sir was a male-exclusive way to address someone then maybe you're not that forward-thinking

*Willis smirks then posts 10 tweets about hating commenters with actual points*

I want it to be New Alex. I want it bad. Like, really bad.

Why is cerberus allowed to say things without master Willy getting angry?

>And I fear this comic has a doom clock of physical visits by abusive family members that goes of every week or so in comic.

Even Cerb is noticing how repetitive this shit is.

Can't wait when Cerb finally realizes that Willis is indeed a hack fraud.

I literally can't read more than 3 sentences of any Cerberus posts before I start zoning out. It's like a defense mechanism.

I'm waiting to be disappointed, or thrown into a rage if he switches scenes before this is up.

why wouldn't a school notify a student's emergency contact in the event of any incident where the student was hospitalized, let alone something like a suicide attempt?

So grandad pops in to talk to school officials, and goes to talk to the official with the most interaction with his grand-daughter. Oh no.

Ruth's only recovering from her hangover. It's literally nothing.

If they were going to call her emergency contact they would have done so when she was first hospitalized, not three days later.

Part of me can't help but feel sorry for Ruth's grandfather. He lost one kid to booze and now his granddaughter is killing herself with alcoholism.

>I will be at Laughing Ogre Comics here in Columbus, Ohio, on Friday (St Patrick’s Day) from 5-7pm! I will have books and probably magnets with me to trade to people for money. That’s right, I have one single event scheduled this year that I’m currently aware of, and this is it! No ECCC, no SDCC, Webcomic Rampage is over, and it’s too soon to schedule my annual Bloomington trip, SO THIS IS IT, THIS IS IT, ONE DAY’S NOTICE, COME SEE ME I GUESS

He doesn't have to be so smug about how he's not leaving his house for the rest of the year. Jesus.

Wait, he's not going to SDCC? Fucking why? Then he has an excuse to go to SD....

Wait, he's bragging that no con requested him to be there and he didn't bother buying booth space?

>SO THIS IS IT, THIS IS IT, ONE DAY’S NOTICE, COME SEE ME I GUESS
What the heck? If that's his one freaking appearance, shouldn't he have made sure everyone knew about it WAY in advance???

Willis:
>I have twins and therefore have no life, a bloo bloo bloo.

>Thinking that only being at one con makes him a rare gem instead of a shitty turd no one wants to invite anymore

Willis, get your head outta your ass.

It's not even a convention. It's just a comic book store visit.

Wasn't part of a big webcomic clique with Something Positive and Girls with Slingshots? Or did even that end up bottoming out?

it took him three days to drive in from where he lives?

Ruth is presumably from Toronto, considering she's a fan of the Leafs. That'd be a 9.5 hour drive split between two drivers.

She, her brother, and her grandfather moved to the states at some point.

So either it's a three-day drive from where they are, or her grandfather needed three days to strap up his boots.

She is from Toronto, but her grandfather lives in the states, that's why she's going to school at IU instead of in Canada.

That was actually my first thought when Ruth said "Chloe". But I think it's much more likely that Chloe's a piece of young arm candy just to emphasize how much of a shitbag we're supposed to assume Ruth's grandfather is.

...Chloe is the R.A.

Chloe is Puddinghead.

Is Patreanon dead?

Just found it going through the archives, they live in Carmel, Indiana. It's about an hour and half north of Bloomington.

fair enough. I don't know then.

Merely oversleeping, as usual. Sorry. Comic up in a minute.

RIP I guess

A panel by panel analysis?

How can someone say so much stuff about so little? Does he really think he's impressing anyone? All I get from these diatribes is that Cerb loves hearing himself type.

Tonight, no more cockteasing. He's here, and he is glorious in his subtle intimidation.

I'm sure Willy based him on any number of politicians, but he reminded me of Boris Yeltsin right away.

...where's this going.

Oh my God, her grandfather is a shaved, bulky Colonel Sanders.
Either that or he's as generic a design as they come.

Also, looks like Ruth was so surprised that her eyes left her face and climbed up her bangs.

>yfw he's actually a good guy and Ruth is just full of shit

So a suicidal lady can be RA for money?
???? What does this mean

>Our Investment

Wut?

Anyone can be anything for the right price.

No idea, but it looks like Ruth's grandpa is the one who actually pulled the strings to get her the position of RA. Which means all the other applicants weren't comically horrible like we were lead to believe, just unlucky enough to not have someone like Ruth's grandad to move things along.

Also fuck Chloe, how the fuck does she not see what's happening?

Also, the password is "solved". I've been slacking on finding the passwords; school's been busy.

That was also my thought. What if Sir is just intimidating and Ruth is just kind of a puss?

>it looks like Ruth's grandpa is the one who actually pulled the strings to get her the position of RA
I question why. I predict Willis just wants to retcon his earlier position on the question. "Oh, no, they weren't bad. Ruth just had somebody pay for her job. Yeah, that's it."

>Also fuck Chloe, how the fuck does she not see what's happening?
Willis doesn't want her to see what's happening. That's how.

Also, I have another prediction: Somebody's going to complain about Sir manspreading in the comments tomorrow.

I feel like as soon as the two of them are alone together, the old man's suddenly going to turn full death-grip-on-the-upper-arm supervillain nasty.

>Also fuck Chloe, how the fuck does she not see what's happening?
Members of Academia are sensitive, liberal bleeding hearts until the day they die....unless they get a big check to their school or department. Then they're whatever you want them to be, baby.

Looks like Willis isn't going to even bother with a new RA and Ruth is going to keep her job through corruption.

Exactly.

But let's all take a step back here for a second and try to remember that everyone in this comic is an adult. And adult. There's nothing stopping Ruth from saying no.

And I was actually looking forward to seeing Roz get slut shamed by Dorothy.

I know they shared cats across universes, but that's all I can think of.

Airplanes exist.

So why didn't he show up when she was hospitalized?

The most important things I got from this strip:
1. Her grandfather seems okay.

2. This almost seems realistic, somehow.

3. Her grandfather is joshing her in the last panel. Definitely not malicious.

4. He seems like he genuinely wants to help her.

5. Chloe, as someone who works with young adults, should know that the stress of the job was one component of why Ruth got depressed. How is she this dimwitted?

6. I hope they're not going to let her remain in her current wing. But the way they're talking makes it sound like she's staying in place. Anyone who's worked with suicidal/depressed people should know that environment is just as much a part of it as anything else.

7. I'm definitely getting the sense that her grandfather likes her a lot more than she likes him.

Presumably her time in college. Going to college can be seen as an investment, and he's telling her that she's not getting kicked out, meaning that their investment in tuition won't be going to waste.

>I question why. I predict Willis just wants to retcon his earlier position on the question. "Oh, no, they weren't bad. Ruth just had somebody pay for her job. Yeah, that's it."
He might say that the comic where that was said wasn't canon anymore. I would not be surprised at all.

just her depression, the fact that shes already accepted that nothing is gonna go well for her, and conditioning thats probably been in place since she was a kid

Ok, I get the feeling Ruth is going to go full on nuclear and demand she be fired or something and spill the beans say her grandpa is a scumbag or something. But of course we have no clue why she is so intimidated by him though....

You're expecting rationality from Willis tho

For the most part, I think we're just supposed to be inclined to believe that Sir is a bad person from the start.

Maybe he's based on somebody from Shortpacked? Anybody know?

Makes me wonder why Dorothy skipped class if she wasn't part of this meeting.

That's was the general opinion of why we thought she was absent to enable the Walky fuckery that just happened.

Nigga's big, or maybe he reminds her a lot that she's a screw up and her parents would be disappointed in her if they were still alive, or something who knows.

Biggest surprise Willis could do with this character is that he DOESN'T have a problem with Ruth dating Billie and isn't the stereotypical bigot.

How many strips before Ruth is screaming to be punished for her crimes like a frustrated sub while her grandfather and Pudding Head look embarrassed and try to calm her down?

dorothy isnt in his math class

No. Willis has never used that character design before.

This is freshly trod snow.

How many Grandpa BJs is Ruth gonna have to shell out for this one?

He looks like the edgy transformers fan from Shortpacked!.

I half expect him to start yelling about nanomachines, and how he played college ball.

>Surprise! You're not fired!

Is anyone surprised by this at all? There was no way Willis was getting rid of her,

He's from Canada, not Texas.

My bad, she didn't skip class, but she's skipping lunch after. The assumption was still that she was in the RA meeting at the time, and still leaves it up in the air what she's actually doing.

College hockey than.

Well, yeah. There were plenty of ways to keep her in the cast while still ousting her from the RA post

so is this, like, sexual abuse, cause thats the vibe im getting
kind of doubt willis would even attempt to write that, but maybe. (also it would explain why howie has no fucking idea why ruth hates their grandpa)

He's Dick Cheney.

Yeah, at the worst this makes him look about as bad as Walky's mom.

Willis ain't gonna' mention why probably, but we're just supposed to let Cerberus write up paragraphs and sway everyone into thinking that he rapes her with razor blades or something.

There isn't a public school around that would let a suicidal student be R.A. No amount of money can cover the bad publicity that would come with an RA killing herself in the dorms after she had just been admitted to a psych ward.

Best case scenario is granddad could get her a non-supervisory job handing out towels in the rec center. Anything but giving a suicidal student responsibility for ensuring the safety of other students jfc this is stupid.

We all know that she's going back to being RA.

My theory is that she'll puss out instead of telling Chloe she doesn't want the job, which is all she fucking needs to say to not have to do it, and it'll be Roz and Dorothy doing most of the work for her instead while she sleeps in all day and fucks Billie.

God forbid they not get along because of clashing personalities or simple cultural differences from a fifty year age gap.

In panel five Ruth is dumbfounded by the realization that between what her grandfather did with campus administration and what Billie did with the residents means that Ruth is now free to openly beat the shit out of Mary consequence free.

Welcome to the wacky world of Willis! Where suicidal people can still retain positions of authority and College apparently turns everyone gay, bi, or trans out of the blue!

>Ruth is now free to openly beat the shit out of Mary consequence free.

Well that sounds like a win for everybody....

He coulda gone pro if he hadn't joined the navy.

I'm just going to assume that Grandpa Lessick fucked Puddinghead so she'd give Ruth her job back.

She is already in full panic-post mode. Normally it's one or two Patreon comments, and then save the bulk for the next day.

Cerb is triggered as FUCK.

Ok, this Cerberus person takes this webcomic WAY too seriously....

She basically dictates the headcanon for everyone at this point. No one ever corrects her or disagrees with her in anything more than the mildest of ways. Hell, I don't think Willis has directly replied to her even ONCE.

I can understand where she's coming from, but the problem is that where she's coming from is halfway across the world. She is jumping so far to conclusions that it's not even funny.

Someone go there and screw with him

I kinda want to start commenting on the DoA website just to write equally longwinded posts that offer an alternative interpretation to whatever Cerb posts just to see what happens.

>Just look at this motherfucker solving all of Ruth's problems that he can. I bet he is going to insist that Ruth attend counseling next, just to make her indebted to him!

It's a perfectly reasonable interpretation, it's just worded in such way that makes you want to dismiss it.

i mean that was more or less how i read it too, so

So basically Ruth not only will face NO consequences for any of her shitty behaviour, she will CONTINUE to be allowed to abuse her power and her charges with no negative repercussions whatsoever.

Good God Im now super depressed. But this is Willis so Im not surprised.

I think her interpretation leaves a lot to be desired simply because she's constructed a complete character from almost nothing. Right now, we know very, very little about "Sir." Cerb is taking a few visual and verbal cues to mean that he's some kind of horrible monster, rather than Ruth not understanding how he shows his love.

She's kind of forgetting that "Sir" exists separately from Ruth. This literally might be him trying to help her out. He might not be doing this just to serve the narrative purpose of making Ruth upset.

Oh, who am I kidding? This is Willis. Of course he's only speaking like this to make Ruth upset, and he will stop existing as soon as the camera is off him.

Is Howie supposed to be autistic? Not endearing at all.

At one point she mentions to Billie that she's trying to succeed so he'll ease up on Howard or something to that effect But nothing about Howard really screams "abused victim", IMO.

Hell he could probably do with some tough love with that shit taste he's got. Who the fuck still watches GoT.

Cerb is projecting, it's fairly obvious.

It's a pitiable condition but Cerb has been seemingly mauled by life and mental illness to the point that nothing they say should be taken seriously.

Could be. HowiexDina when?

>Jurassic Park!
>Game of Thrones!
>Jurassic Park!
>Game of Thrones!
>Jurassic Park!
>Game of Thrones!
>*angry makeout session*

I imagine he's Willis's "nerd avatar" and thus acts exactly like Willis would, but replace "Transformers" with "Game of Thrones"

pleb

In some way this reflects even POORER on Ruth as a person.

Her position was bought, not earned out of any genuine merit from her as a person. Chloe clearly only said Ruth was their best because essentially she's being paid to.

So basically assuming Ruth doesnt succeed in offing herself with alcohol and actually graduates, she'll get a nice cushy job working for her grandfather. She'll eventually inherit the company upon Grandpa's death. She'll mistreat her underlings, who will secretly loathe and despise her. She'll die alone with no real friends.

This is the most I've ever seen him snap at one of his Patreon snowflakes, and it ended with a dude quitting the comic, traumatized for life.

It wasn't even his parent comment that Willy was replying to, but it was in his reply chain, so he took it to heart in a big way.

>Sir

Using "Sir" as a name is retarded

Ruth is Patrick Bateman.

For we shittalk about Cerb, if half the shit they say is true then I genuinely hope they get the care and help they need to put the past behind them.

>if half the shit they say is true
It isn't

Or THREATENED to fuck her. And not in the sexual sense

Im willing to bet Cerb's dad genuinely WAS the "good guy" and hat Cerb was too fucked in the head to see it as such. We've got a definite persecution complex here and once again Cerb is imprinting his delusions on thesituation