Bee and Puppycat

What went wrong, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BSOJiSUI0z8
youtube.com/watch?v=MWfiActNm0Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

As you can see, she got fat.

They mistook good writing with fat.

While I do prefer the older design, the writing was pretty boring and awkward even in the pilot.

>Wouldn't it be more progressive if we made her less cute? Cuteness conforms to outdated gender stereotypes. Get rid of the cute costume. Also, why does she have an average body type? Shouldn't we promote body positivity by making her fat?

They tried to do TV animation on a Website

They obviously didn't have the money and dumb downed the designs so they could be more cost effective

Underestimated how much it would cost and the strength of the concept
And the writers a hacks

I never understood the complains: backers paid for tumblr shit, they got tumblr shit

no resolution that left more questions than answers. Everything that could go wrong went wrong and it makes me sad.

The way she behaved made me think she was a mental asylum escapee.

I want to tongue-fuck the eye sockets of the person who thought that was an improvement.

The backers are irrelevant, when something is shit it gets talked about, and people want to know why it's shit to begin with.

5 year wait after Kickstarter.
Art style change.
Split episodes.
Vrv.
Delaying Bravest Warriors until it was done.
Even lower stakes than the already low stakes pilot.

Basically everything.

I can see whats wrong but I don't know how to fix it.

To put simply Son, the condom broke.

She went from being awkward and put-upon to having Down Syndrome.

The pilot had heart but the series felt soulless.

Maybe if she wasn't fat it'd get raving reviews

Everything

It's like people who backed the Ouya.

They got exactly what they apparently wanted and then complained about it.

I think you mean T H I C C

She went from "I want to nail her cute dumb face" to the embodiment of Tumblr. And then no one watched it so they had to put new stuff behind a paywall.

Did her limbs just shrink as she stood up?

No, the character designs are bad but what really kills it is the writing. They turned Bee from a ditzy adult into a literal womanchild and made everything thuddingly dull. I actually thought the pilot was pretty good, but the series (or at least as much of it as I watched) was terrible.

thicc as fuck nigga

You people are really overstating how much fatter Bee has gotten. The real problem is that the artstyle is shit and they made her so short she looks like a child half the time.

CALARTS

y-yeah, who could possibly like that?

What went wrong is that -this- didn't happen.

I'm sure everyone agrees

Hipsters.
I wish I was kidding but the show was made by hipsters. i remember seeing the behind the scenes thing and they where as stereotypical hipster as you could be. One had glasses with no lens in them.

Get the fuck over it

>What if we make her more round and babylike? That's what fans of our pilot wanted right?

NO.

And this is why you make sure your designs work in the first place. I can clearly see the problem. Animators getting very little communication from the main team following the storyboarding pose and then trying to have it segue into the model sheet proportions.

Probably the budget.
The original pilot looked very studio ghibli and the actual series looks... well like the right pic.
The humor is still decent but she definitely turned from one of my past exs to a retarded womanchild.
The humor used to be very real life goofiness like the scene where she impales herself with the umbrella and when she eats the candy at the temp agency when the guy is blowing her off.
The relationship is definitely retarded now and addressed in the episodes. Deckard is now way more mature than Bee.

>One had glasses with no lens in them.
This made me laugh too fucking much.

I thought an interesting part of the original version is that Bee is a twenty-something young woman struggling to keep a job and living alone.
When she's drawn like a fatty, she instantly becomes neotenous, overriding a major appeal of the original design.
It's bland.
Really bland.

Funny thing how her boyfriend didn't change much.

The real funny thing is that his sister is now more of an interesting character than Bee is.

Go on

it take yoo long, now it's fanbase is gone.

that's what happened.

I'd say your pic pretty much sums it up.
That and off model animation is apparently a pretty hip way to make a cartoon because nobody cares about quality.
See: practically any modern cartoon

W H A L E E

go back to 9gag

It seemed to me that the creator had made some character designs she really liked (she was the character designer on AT) and wanted to animate them, but had less an idea of what they would actually do. Then budget/time reasons.

I thought the pilot was kinda cute but I tried watching the first episode after it and it was just so inconsequential. Not even typical slice-of-life inconsequential.

trying to fund animation off of youtube and failing is what happened

>What went wrong
Making it a full series. It was fine as a short but they just had to put in that shit at the end about Puppycat being a prince.

That set off the LEEPEST DORE faggots who grasp at whatever thin narrative they can to obsess over.

What about the $900k they got off kickstarter?

They had and interesting and original concept but went WHO LIKES ORIGINALITY AMIRITEGUISE?! and made it generic calarts shit #564
I'm still mad

"A great storyboard artist is a great communicator"
-Eric Goldberg

youtube.com/watch?v=BSOJiSUI0z8

youtube.com/watch?v=MWfiActNm0Y

SHE

E3 syndrome.
pilot was what they knew you wanted, release is what they always had in mind.

>The original pilot looked very studio ghibli

Elephantitis

They probably only saw the 3d ghibli series on Amazon.

While those videos are very interesting, in Bee the problem is not storyboarding, it is a problem of transitions and that's all animation dept.

It was made by Polygon.

There's less thrashing of the writing in this thread than I thought, mostly just the animation. That final twist would've been so much better if they didn't screw up the series' execution.

The problem with the pilot is that Bee doesn't express (or seem to feel) emotions that are suggested by the story-line. Why isn't she worried that the employment office guy can't help her any more and doesn't even want to? Why isn't she scared when she's hungry but has no food, no money, and no job? Why does she just make retarded noises instead of being surprised the cat-thing has amazing powers? Why isn't she more relieved to end up with a big wad of cash that solves all her problems?

It's like it's about an actual autist.

It's like everyone's inspired by John K. or the inbetween frames of Golden Age WB animations and decided "We can do that too!"

Only for them to forget that maybe, just maybe, that wasn't such a good idea. Same thing with shows like SU.

OP, you just posted the reason. The creator stole everyone's money when she made a design so shit that everyone was disgusted with it when everyone liked the pilot art design just fine.

>Ghibli
>Doing 3D CGI

If Miyazaki was dead he would be rolling in his grave.

Is he black?

He's a crotchety fucker anyway. I bet he rolls around instead of walking.

Ghibli is reduced to that because they failed to get away from being "Miyazaki, Inc." anyway. They even tried a few times and failed for various reasons.

When will the JUaps learn that Anime just doesn't translate well to 3D CGI (or at least most times)?

Miyazaki has been working on a 3D short for a while now, and wants to turn it into a feature.

And again Ghibli didn't produce that series, they were involved in some kind of co-production capacity. Polygon Pictures produced it.

Female. Japanese.

Or if you meant the character in Bee, I don't know.

He's "ambiguously brown", tumblr's favorite not-race.

The inspiration is certainly there, the just executed it badly and had a much smaller budget to work with.

1. Design changes from the pilot killed all the visual charm and energy of the show.

2. Instead of constructing a short narrative that would fit within the confines of their budget, they went with a very mild slice of life show with a possible future narrative.

3. The concept was weak and derivative to begin with: girl with strange animal buddy goes on weird adventures and lives an everyday life. Basically adventure time.

If you gave Ghibli animators and background artists $872,133, I can assure you the outcome would be very different. That money is enough to fund four or five average anime episodes.

>people think the pilot one is cuter than the series

how? Her outfit is cuter in the pilot but the face on the right is way more adorable I have no idea what you guys are talking about

the left looks like a generic tumblr design, the right looks like a generic anime design from the 80's.

It doesn't look like anime.

>red ears
>brown skin
>green eyes
>white hair
>retarded haircut
>DYEL

He's a tumblr OC

These tumbltrards made him so fucking diverse that his eyes are different colors, and his skin is a different race from his eyes and hair. And then they gave him her oppressively cute cat apron.

Her head makes no sense on her neck.

It looks like one of those really old simple childrens anime cartoons, yes.

After being introduced to the character as a 20-something in the pilot it's jarring to be re-introduced to her as a four year-old with tits.

Series Bee looks like a cross between pilot Bee and Babycakes from China IL

It doesn't look like 70s anime either (which weren't "really old simple children's anime cartoons," whatever those are supposed to be).

I don't know, I kind of see what they're talking about. I think the series, at least in that picture looks more anime than the pilot.

I think fat Bee was based on Peko-chan, a '50s Japanese mascot.

Neither of them looks like anime.

Or maybe she was based on '50s-'60s black-white anime/manga like Fuku-chan.
That'd explain the face design and plumpiness.

I paid for smart shit disguised as tumblr but even the writing got retarded.

They had 870k, this was the least of their problems.

What's going to happen to whatshername after she helmed this failure into the rocks?

Draw comics for Marvel.

They are still shipping physical rewards from 2014, fucking betas cant even tell what was going on there.

It's like welfare for tumblrinas.

>smart shit disguised as tumblr
Oh, my bad, they were only pretending to be retarded. Of course.

He is Tumblr brown

bump

see

1950s is pre-anime. If she looked like an anime character I would have noticed because it would have been self-evident. But she doesn't.

ELASTIC ARMS!

Toast was the best thing to come from it.

her torso also shrinks and changes perspective

Top row is infinitely superior to bottom row.