Logan Plothole

So hold up, I just thought of something. Wouldn't it even be possible to fire an adamantium bullet out of a regular gun?

I mean a bullet is ever so slightly larger in diameter than the rifling of a barrel it was made for, the bullet needs to be able to deform slightly when the powder goes off, this is why bullets are made out of lead and a copper jacket, or maybe a steel core surrounded by lead and a copper jacket.
Now if you made a bullet out of adamantium to the exact specifications of a standard .357 magnum it wouldn't be able to go through a regular .357 barrel, it's significantly harder than the barrel, so if you fired the expanding gas maybe enough to force it forward a bit, but then it would just get stuck.

Logan clearly showed the bullet was solid adamantium, not just adamantium core surrounded by lead, and the revolver he used and later Laura grabbed and loaded the adamantium round into was a standard .357 magnum he got off someone else.

So wouldn't Laura not be able to kill X-24?

Guns work differently in fiction, dumbass

It depends on how much force was applied.

If it's sufficient to drive the bullet forward, you're correct in that it may immediately jam in the barrel, but it could also simply strip the rifling as it passes - slowing the bullet, ruining the gun - but no different in principle to drilling out threads in the first place.

However, if you've gone to the trouble of making an adamantium bullet, you've probably thought of that - so either it's of a sufficient diameter to not jam or slow (too much) regardless of the weapon that fires it, or you put moar powder in back (and accept that you're going to burn yourself firing it).

Of the many problems this movie has (especially when you try and fit it into the wider canon) this isn't really a huge one.

I feel like the bullet would strip the rifling out of the barrel. It would still fire, but not accurately.

I don't think that counts as a plot hole.

no the adimantium bullet could well be smaller and just covered in a sabot

>a guy having fake metal claws come out of his hand isn't a plothole
>a gun firing fake metal bullets is

If the friction was so great that it completely strips the rifling in a single shot would it still have enough velocity to still punch through an adamantium surface though? Seems like at that point it'd be moving pretty slow, especially thanks to the fact that you have a shit ton of gas bleed off from a revolver before the bullet even exists the barrel.

I mean granted he was using a fairly small barrel, maybe a 2" by the looks of it.

>the bullet is established to be adamantium
>the bullet is established as logan's suicide option
>guns fire bullets

i think we have all the necessary pieces to suspend disbelief on this

hand bones have space in between. fiction isnt allowed to make shit pass between other shit unless that's their power

that said I doubt there's any problem here. the bullet was probably made slightly narrower than usual. adamantium is explicitly something that, when it's used, has a lot of work put into how it's going to be shaped. everyone involved is smart enough to have thought of this
it is, however, smart that OP thought of this. this is what being a nerd is all about. marvel used to give out the no-prize to anyone who could comeup with a sensible answer to a seeming inconsistency or science issue

>So hold up, I just thought of something.

Such a rare moment in your life, definitely deserves a thread.

Again it depends on force and whether the bullet is the exact same diameter as a conventional round and whether it's got the same amount of powder behind it (lead is quite dense, but adamantium should be pretty heavy itself, so you might expect more - but there's no way to know).

Even the passage of lead bullets over time is going to start stripping the rifling - just not to a noticeable degree - and friction is always a factor there too, which is why bullets end up rifled by the gun that fired them.

I guess since we're supposed to accept that adamantium isn't a magic-no armor in this movie and behaves more like conventional metals (imagine firing a lead round at a skull covered in lead foil for comparison), we're also supposed to accept that it can be given sufficient momentum as a bullet to penetrate that thin covering of adamantium on Wolverbones. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but the comics explanation for this bullet (which Winter Soldier had) probably doesn't belong to FOX as it uses a different fictional material, and FOX probably aren't allowed to come up with, or didn't see the point confusing the issue with another magic metal.

Guns are nice and simple story-wise and easy to do on-set with minimal effects work, so you can see the incentive not to confuse the ending of a story which wasn't really about effects in the way that, say, Slomcam or Fried Frog were but was more about the human journeys underpinning it. For one reason or another, most people aren't going to think about the physics of it in terms of mohs, either because they accept it as unnecessary to the moment or because they just don't care.

Obviously the gun heats up the adamantium allowing it to change shape and move through the barrel

The real question is what happened to all the holograms and Charles' floating orange wheelchair and why don't self driving cars just have their own lanes?

>The real question is what happened to all the holograms and Charles' floating orange wheelchair
It's yellow you stupid shit

adamantium bullet can tear through an adamantium skull.

then how much force does it take for admantium claws to break against each other?

Well I mean, you just make it smaller and coat it in a soft material, or just tip the bullet with adamantium. There's like a million ways to make it work.

It's not a plot hole unless they explicitly stated that the round wasn't molded to compensate for that. In the absence of evidence that they fucked up their design, you kind of just assume they thought of everything and it's not an issue.

tl;dr: It worked in the movie, therefor it's logical to assume the guys who designed it were smart enough to think of that.

An actual plot hole is the fact that an illegally run company who has created chaos across Mexico and the US suddenly has no power once some kids run across the Canadian border.

Mexican nurses should have just taken the kids to the Canadian embassy in Mexico City.

>itt: people who don't know where the bullet is compared to the primer, casing, and propellant.

You guys, the whole thing wasn't adamantium, just the bullet itself.

One can have glass, wood, w/e bullets.

well, you sure didn't read the thread

Two things that really bothered me:

Exactly what are the odds that all those kids made it to the meeting spot without any sort of adult guidance? Superpowers only get you so far, and it seemed like the rest of the nurses would've stuck with them if they made it that far.

How do you genetically engineer and micromanage a group of 'superior' specimens and still end up with a fat kid?

the fatness is part of his mutation, like how Nightcrawler is blue and Trask is short.

Maybe if he was Blob's spawn I could let that slide but holy hell, you're right.

Fat kid makes no sense.

I just kept expecting X-24 to rise ominously with his brain visible.

The adamntium bullet was such bullshit.

Fat kid hoboed onto a train car most of the way.
The train car was full of Hostess.

It was only bullshit because it blew his head off, which ironically would make it a lot more possible to heal. If it'd gone into his skull and stayed there it would have 'killed' him like getting impaled on that wheat thresher did.

Except in the XCU Blob's obesity is explicitly the result of him letting himself go. We see a fit Fred Duke.

Wouldn't it just heal around it or something?

People are walking around with bullets in their skulls right now.

>Wouldn't it just heal around it or something?
What? His brain? No.

Why not? Does Logan's insane regen work rhat different in the movies?

Plus who's to say it wouldn't just get lodged in the lining of his adamantine skull or something?

and thats your problem? not an adamantium bullet going through an adamatium skulll but if it really fires? u and mangoloid shoulda be pals.

>Why not? Does Logan's insane regen work rhat different in the movies?
In the movies he's getting shot with normal bullets and his skeleton is adamantium.
>Plus who's to say it wouldn't just get lodged in the lining of his adamantine skull or something?
The writer.

In X-Men Origins: Wolverine, didn't Wolverine take an adamantium bullet to the brain, explaining his memory loss? As in, the bullet pierced his skull then instead bounced around in there. He healed and regained full brain function, but his memories got all tore up, leaving only confusing fragments. That all makes sense.

I don't get why an adamantium bullet would create a big "exit wound" like we saw on Albert/X24. A lead bullet deforms and "mushrooms" out as it meets resistance from the tissue surrounding it, spreading its force. Even if the adamantium bullet were engineered to "bloom" in some way after piercing the skull, how would it have enough force left in it to exit the skull? Remember, he has adamantium on the BACK of his skull as well. A tiny puncture for an entry wound, sure, but if it has enough energy in it to tear a grapefruit-sized hole through an adamanium skull AFTER entering the skull the other way AND expending all that energy blooming, how the fuck is that bullet being fire out of a tiny handgun by a little girl? The amount of force required to punch that sized hole through an adamantium skull, equal and opposite, would launch Laura into the next fucking county, assuming it didn't just tear her goddamn arm clean off.

THAT is the bullet-related plot-hole

They do have power in Canada. Weapon X is Canadian in the first place.

>That all makes sense
no, no... just stop.

the true plot hole is... in mexico the age of consent is 12yo. so

the gun was probably made of adamntium too

Wolverine was shot with a PG-13 bullet. Less damaging.

I'm super duper confused what killed like the majority of mutants
I understand like Prof X killing a few and some being hunted by hate crimes and the suppression of new ones being made
but where'd like the majority of them just fuck off to?
what's the deal with that

>but where'd like the majority of them just fuck off to?
Canada.

Did you not watch the movie?

I did but you're telling me all the mutants just cruised to Canada? seems like shenanigans when we're dealing with a few dozen omega level ones and wouldn't they intervene with like an X-Factor/Force saving these kids if there were actually a competent cabal of mutants on the outskirts of the country?

That's not a plothole. That's just your inability to suspend your disbelief.

>this fucking thread
Was it autism?

Unless it was coated in copper, just like most bullets.

>the claws coming out of his hands are longer than his forearm and wrist
This shit always drove me up the fucking wall.

Didn't the scientist dude towards the end say he had something to do with it?

>Wouldn't it even be possible to fire an adamantium bullet out of a regular gun?

They showed it was possible in X-Men Origins

>Muh movies is perfect if you ignore what you brought up

I hate the movie but peopke rip TDKRises because batman got back into Gotham. This is more of a plothole than that considering it ends a plot line rather than furthers it.

you don't know what plot hole means

the claws are explained. theres no inconsistency there.

No they didn't. They're dead or depowered.

Did you watch the movie?

I'm sick of explaining a movie I disliked to people who say they loved it. The ubiquity of corn syrup which was made to attack the x-gene, made it so living mutants powers were weakening and the next generation wouldn't develop powers.

It's the very definition of a plot hole. Without that bullet x-24 kills everyone.

It clearly wasn't though, the entire bullet was implied to be pure adamantium thanks to the colour, not lead or copper jacket.

>gunforce ain't gotta explain shit

gunforce is also how most of them don't run out of ammo

Why were they re-capturing the kids anyway when they can already grow their own adult-size, obedient Wolverines?

Didn't a bullet go INTO his skull in X2? At the confrontation in Iceman's house with the cops?

I mean, it disappeared into his head, left a hole, and slowly popped out. Skulls don't have enough meat for a bullet to disappear into them without going through the bone.

He has an adamantium skull. why would a bullet enter his brain?

This is one way of showing you know nothing about a character.

>they figured out how to replace a person's skeleton with metal without killing them
>they can't figure out how to make a bullet with an extra-tough core
Interesting plot hole, OP.

I was under the impression they only coated x-24's claws for some reason.

because what they did was technically illegal.

Once again, it clearly showed the entire bullet was adamantium, not just the core.

>replace

The more I read the shit people say to defend this movie the more I realize how little they know.

If Laura's skeleton is coated with adamantium, how will she grow?

>It's the very definition of a plot hole. Without that bullet x-24 kills everyone.

Yeah, but it's shown as working in the film. It's never said 'oh, adamantium bullets can't be fired out of a gun'. Internal consistency is there; no plot hole.

And? It's a fictional metal. Who says it can't be fired like that?

I don't feel like doing the math but probably more than Wolverine or X-24 are capable of generating. Super strength isn't true mutant power, super healing is.

Adamantium is indestructible in the same way that stainless steel doesn't rust - yes, most of the time, but not always. Put enough force into a small enough area and it will break.

The adamantium bullet is a fucking stupid plot device no matter how you look at it.

Logan literally got shot with the bullet in Origins and he only lost his memory. It's a magic bullet that does whatever the plot needs it to.

>plothole

Stopped reading there.

Also its not a plothole, its just action movie physics.

Tell that to the people that say Batman couldn't get back into gotham.

"Nowhere in the movie does it say batman CANT get back into gotham. just the mooks cant get in or out."

Bullshit.

You want to make a "realistic" movie, then you don't get to choose where to end the realism. Especially if he doesn't sit there and say "you know, physically this shouldn't be able to shoot but they did some science shit."

So what was making Logan sick? I sorta inferred he'd been shot with an adamantium bullet in the chest at some point, and it was still in there and not getting pushed out for some reason? Maybe I just missed some exposition.

Oh, you know. That 200 or so pounds of adamantium coating his skeleton preventing his bone marrow doing anything good for his body.
Just her claws. Which is still stupid. She's a small girl and could still grow. Better to wait until she's about 20 just in case for ANY adamantium bonding procedure.

The adamantium bullet was a retarded rip off of kryptonite bullets from Superman comics.

It was a total asspull.

You know what I don't get? If the US Government was looking for Xavier because his brain was classified as a WMD, then wouldn't they have a list and description of all his contacts? Logically speaking that would be the case.
So how the fuck was Logan able to cross the southern US border back and forth without being recognized?

Why would he need bone marrow? An immune system? He's got his magic healing factor for that.

>You want to make a "realistic" movie, then you don't get to choose where to end the realism.

But you do. That's the creative act. What one defines as 'realistic' is a construct of their own understanding.

>Especially if he doesn't sit there and say "you know, physically this shouldn't be able to shoot but they did some science shit."

What would this add to the story, other than satiating audience members who get autistic about minutiae?

Because the US border to Mexico is easy to cross and Xavier is still capable of using his powers. He probably made sure the border guards, of they even encountered any, didnot notice. Or they used a drug runners tunnel and set up new identities.

Yes for an immune system. His healing factor went down. An immune system able to work properly could have helped a bit. As it was his body couldn't properly fight off the toxins from adamantium poisoning. He's also usually written to be almost indestructible but someone like Laura and occasionally deadpool can heal much faster than him because the body isn't trying to work on constant damage.

Another person just saying things that didn't happen in the movie.

Logan was shown to be driving in and out of mexico/usa for his job. user brings up a valid point that they would have easily been found, logan at least.

And no, the US/Mexico border is not "easy to cross" on a repeated basis for what is essentially a felon. Not when you're driving through checkpoints.

Deadpool cured his cancer?

At times, yes. And he's displayed the ability to concentrate and grow back fingers in seconds.

Personally, I'd guess that it was the beard (changes in appearance really can throw people off your trail for a long time) and the fact that the mutant problem was pretty much considered over and done with.

I agree that it seemed a little strange that the movie didn't address how they got back over the border with Laura, though. With the amount they focused on the border wall at the start of the film, I thought we'd get a tense scene of Wolverine hiding Laura and Xavier. Maybe they shot it but it broke up the flow of the film too much.

IT'S FUCKING GOLD FUCK OFF

clearly magenta.

is everyone blind?

I thought they used the coordinates from the comics as a way to make sure everyone would be trying to get to them in (roughly) the same manner, so they'd all have come into contact with the base along the way.

It was clearly shown that the entire bullet, actually just the tip, was shiny. That don't mean nothing.