How's Your Webcomic? #355

You've got a webcomic, right? Post about it here. Share WIPs, pages, drawings, scripts, whatever. Get comments and critique.

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
ggz.thecomicseries.com/
jesse-the-art-maker.deviantart.com/art/Meteor-Random-669403204
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/
knowyourmeme.com/memes/keit-ai-finds-a-way/
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebOriginal/KeitAi
arcthecomic.tumblr.com/post/158431832704/1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on,
Ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

Previous thread

man hopefully we dont 404 overnight again

WIP

How's the delivery?

hehe, pretty good.. pretty good.
are you going to hand letter in the final product too or type?

Thanks m8

>are you going to hand letter in the final product too or type?
Hand letter, but less sloppy of course.

that's what I was gettin' at, yeah. though I can see some style in your handwriting, so i'm glad

hey everybody, i thought i posted this in the last thread but i guess i didn't.

ggz.thecomicseries.com/

Bump

Can't let trash webcomics be ignored

Goodnight HYWC

Alright, I've got a multi-paged action sequence.

Interspersed among the pages, are individual word balloons and panels from a flash-forwarded narrator, describing events only tangentially related to the action. If it were a movie it'd be like an old man doing a voice over.

So anyway, with the case of the word balloons, I was going to tint them some color, so the reader would know they are independent of the normal action panels.

But I was wondering if there was some kind of effect I could do to the panel borders for the occasional flash forward, just so it was obvious those panels were non-sequential.

I think I'll leave most of my panels close to this quality now. I feel comfy with this look.

BUT i will be looking over my pages. I will however keep most of my pages secret until i have a chapter or 2 finished. (Maybe)

a wonder years guy, eh?
a little paper texture would be okay, as if aged parchment.. but if it's a flash-forward, that might not be as appropriate.
the important thing is that the balloons should be square. I'd even give them a double outline, kinda like pokemon dialogue boxes, sans the outer corner bits
you could also give them kind of a shadow

fuckin tits, squeakers. grass looks great
i'd raise the first balloon up higher though since you can't lower the other one and it needs to point at the amulet

How about we play this game again, /hyw/, what would your comic's theme song be?

I was originally going with "torso it would seem". not sure if that'd be funnier
2nd panel pose courtesy of this friend of mine who is a way, way better artist.
I'm glad I won't have to draw this hulking machine anymore but it's kind of a shame it never got to do anything. Still, it wasn't going to be able to play basketball in this gravity.
mario land world 4 chai world

>I'm glad I won't have to draw this hulking machine(...ry) anymore...
> I won't have to draw this... machine... anymore
>translation: it's too hard to draw every panel...

Not... Gonna... Make... It...

i've been recoloring this page

i made this kinda dumb rule for myself where i said that for the amusement part where most of the story takes place i would use only red, orange yellow, black and white

but then there is this other theme park that only appears for like 3 pages and only serves to introduce the main character and i wanted to give it different colors

so at first i tought ok the red hat is important, so i'll make this one green since it is the complemetary color

but i have this toad looking guys and i wanted to give them nice colors too, then i took my daily dose and then i went a bit aesthetic

in the end i think ill just use brown for them since it will kinda fit for this part of the story

well said

Almost finished with shading

does tarnish affect those rituals? because man that would get old quickly. fuckin silver tarnishes so easily..

just revealed some of my script for my METEOR RANDOM project!

check it out: jesse-the-art-maker.deviantart.com/art/Meteor-Random-669403204

heres what one of the super fighting robots called Meteors look like so far, still a concept on color and design but the cartoony face with the square nose is a keeper!

this one is called Meteor Super~! older brother to Meteor Random!

all this stuff is copyrighted so dont steal anything, thanks! ^^

I still have to get the lineart for the backgrounds/extras done, but at least I finished the lines for the main characters in these pages. I've been trying to give my characters more expressive poses lately.

I rewrote this scene a bunch of times and I really don't know if it sounds good or not anymore. Can I have some crit on the dialogue in these pages?

I love those last two panels.

Looking cool, I like how grubby everyone looks, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. You use those greyscales and hatching pretty nicely, though I think you could clean up your text a bit just for readability's sake. You have a site?

Since this is basically the only thread up for this topic, I'll ask here.

does it have to be a WEBcomic? A friend and I are currently in the process of making a comic we could try and send to a small publisher to try and get our foots in the door. Would post it here be allowed?

Sure, man, as long as it's comics it's all good.

i love how chipper this guy is. honestly I wouldn't change any of this, I'd just modify the expressions slightly.. so in the second to last he's looking just slightly tired/frustrated, it's cracking his facade just a tad (looks like the eyebrows are already there) and maybe that last panel could be more distinct from the one above it.. so that one looks puzzled and the other looks inquisitive

no matter what you'll still want a website for it, for promotion, even if you have the comic totally paywalled and sold entirely on paper (not a good idea by the way, a lot of people will want to buy a digital copy. hopefully your publisher is savvy to that). So yeah, you're welcome here and then some

Sweet. Work is still being done but here's the roughs for the first few pages. I guess let me know what you think.

Broken up in places because formatting was a bitch.

Go ooooon.

Let's talk exposition vs supplemental materials.

>Inner workings of various setting details(technology, culture, media.etc)-supplemental.
>What is actually going on in the story and relevant character background-exposition.
Yes? I ask because I, as most of us presumably do, crave an alternative to long, droning lectures that kill the pacing and often don't match the in-universe logic(i.e explaining things to characters who should already know this, or having to make up some newbie to talk at). These type of scenes are boring, and I think I can say with confidence that nobody, not writers, actors, directors, editors, etc actually like these parts. But sadly they're often necessary so the reader knows what the hell is going on.

Pardon the rambling, let me sum up. What kind of stuff can you just show, and what do you absolutely have to tell?

>Go ooooon.
what more did you want to know? I assume your publisher has a website and it's going to have a page for your comic, but you'll still want a development blog thing at least.

words tomorrow.
no animation.

Any information you feel you could provide about the process would be appreciated, I feel my greatest weakness now is not knowing enough. I've got enough on my hd alone to probably start a WIP art tumblr, is that what you mean?

I like both stories that keep me hungry for more details AND ones that feed me tons of exposition
you're right that adding a boring-ass character to explain things to (like the hellboy movie did) is boring and lame.. but you can still do it the right way. what I like best is having characters explain their mindset to themselves. you can interpret it as just reading their thoughts if you want. By hearing them go through the logic of the situation and what they have to do, it gives you a lot of detail in a few words

that's one example, sure. if you're really trying to go professional (and I'm not sure how rough these roughs are but so far they aren't really assuring me) you'll want to be really promotey and stuff. I can't give more details than that though, I just know it when I see it, and I see it pretty often.
if the Baphomet-chan guy comes in, ask him. he's got a free comic and a pay comic, so he'll tell you how promoting the latter works

I'll keep my eye out, thanks. It's something to consider for sure.
As far as the roughs go, I am the writer, not the artist, right now I believe the linework on these pages is being done as well as producing the next few pages.

Here's some art of the character appearing at the bottom of the last page.

What does Sup Forums think about the ending to Keit-ai?

A boy falls in love with a girl. He is mysteriously gifted with her phone number. He calls her and finds out that she likes him as well. But the next day, she doesn't remember the confession. The girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn’t exist in this universe at all. She is the girl’s alternate universe counterpart, who likes his own alternate self. Hijinks ensue as the two tell each other their darkest secrets to conquer the hearts of their other selves.

See: webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825

This is Meteor Wheels, shes a repair robot and the younger sister of METEOR RANDOM and METEOR SUPER!

blue boobs/10!

>Obvious replication of the megaman serious even the title of "Super Fighting Robot"....

Not Gonna Make It! Not Gonna Make It! Not Gonna Make It! Not Gonna Make It!

Make your own shit and just stick to one idea don't be me! Remember bones are from skeletons we're the enemy from within!

why did you use my name?

this has nothing to do you megaman you autistic assburgers spaz nog

also, retard, for this to be anything like megaman the main character would have to have an armcanon of somekind.

BUT THE MAIN CHARACTER OF METEOR RANDOM NEVER USES HIS FUCKING HANDS TO FIGHT, HE LITERALLY COUGHS UP A SOCCER BALL AND FUSES RANDOM ROBOT POWERS TO IT AND KIKCS A SOCCER BALL AT HIS ENEMIES TO DEATH!

HOW IS THIS ANYTHING LIKE MEGAMAN YOU STUPID ANONYMOUS----FUCK----!

So basically megaman with soccer balls, I should work for capcom this idea is pure genius.

>not gonna make it guys, I think doing megaman clones will get me attention...

Maybe I'll cameo the emo chicks I have a sudden fetish for.

You should just stick to goth grillz, that one has the most potential.

Aw thanks user... but the thing is even though I've put more effort into that comic, I still try and squeeze in designs of characters already made a.k.a Pacifica Northeast.

But maybe I'll just do what dewd does and copy successful designs.
>not gonna make it

This is the main character: METEOR RANDOM! He coughs up a soccer ball he fuses random robot powers to and kicks his enemies to death with a soccer ball! Awwww yeah~!

?

thats not me, but ok i will, i just dont want my other 3 projects to gather dust

stop, whoever you are, its not funny man, just be yourself!

he is a type of robot made in the year 4040 called a meteor which is an upgraded version of the anti-meteor robots, each meteor robot is called a name based on its powers, for example:

METEOR ICE
METEOR FIRE
METEOR TIME BUBBLE
METEOR WHEELS
METEOR SUPER
METEOR WIND

etc, etc, you get the idea!

>he is a (super fighting robot) made in the year (20XX) called (Megaman or Rockman pick your poison) which is an upgraded version of (Protoman), each (Robot Master) is named after their (Power or Function).

For example:
ICEMAN
FLAMEMAN
BUBBLEMAN
AIRMAN

>NOT GONNA MAKE IT, GAME OVER.

Continue? Yes or No

I think you should go back to .

i dub the lord of all the tinfoil hat conspiritards!

Im sketching thumbnails right now. critiquing would be helpful

this whole fucking thread in response to my METEOR RANDOM project so far

i dont even know why i come here anymore

sigh...

last one so far

Already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/
knowyourmeme.com/memes/keit-ai-finds-a-way/
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebOriginal/KeitAi
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825

These are good, you make sure to plan your page accordingly and action scenes are done quite well in planning.
If I could say one thing, try not to obsess over changing or diverting from the original plan.
Don't know if your doing sound effects but plan those too.
Make sure to differentiate between which character is which.

And above all just do what you can, and Good Luck!

there will be lots of "dakka!"

Bro, I'm telling you, put all of your focus into Goth Grill Z. It's the best shot you have to succeed right now.

arcthecomic.tumblr.com/post/158431832704/1

It'll be an adult comic, somewhat sketchy- just started.

Also thank you!

Keit-Ai has been made into:

>a wiki
>a fanfic
>a fictionpress story
>a manga
>a meme
>a series recognized by TV Tropes
>an anime preview
>an anime episode
>an anime series
>an honest-to-goodness anime movie
>Oscar considered
>a critically acclaimed box office success in Japan
>a worldwide hit
>the no. 1 highest grossing anime film of all time

Meme magic is amazing.

no one likes you, you are the bane of this thread, we all hate you. you make what we love to do look like a joke.
go away, find a different hobby, or kill yourself. your choice.

and take dewd with you.

Post your comic faggot.

Oh right, you don't have one, and yet you think you're allowed to criticize someone who actually does. Piss yourself.

>Post your comic faggot.

Hi, I'm a faggot who's posting her comic, cause I have one. and I'm criticizing someone who does.

cunt.

Four extremely similar shots in a row at an uninteresting angle should be a no go. If nothing else the first panel should be viewing the area in a different way, preferably acting as the establishing shot of the scene by giving us a good look of where we are and who is there.

The soldiers talking is more incidental while the panel staring at the gun sets mood. Since it's important, is being focused on by a character, and would break up three straight pages of sitting people talking, it should be one of the largest panels, not the smallest. Scale indicates lingering on something, where a tiny panel would make it seem more like a quick glance.

First and third panel are redundant. Third in particular looks awkward when the same vehicle is right below itself like that.

>20 minutes since I posted
>still no shit response spouting the same shit every shit artist says like "you don't have a comic, so don't criticize someone who does."

Yeah, shut the fuck up cunt, and keep your name on if you're gonna swing garbage statements. don't be a pussy Bones.

how would you recomend restructuring those pages then? or perhaps another page of establish shot before the first?

>her

>the gender meme

>how would you recomend restructuring those pages then?
...but I just did that. I said the first panel on the first page should serve as an establishing shot, the gun panel should be the focus of that particular page, and the double aircraft should be nixed.

If you mean "do my layouts for me," then no. Nowhere near my tablet atm and it would be more productive to think about the feedback and try again.

>criticize someone who actually does

Bones doesn't actually do anything though. It's a mockery of comic making, not real comic making.

To be fair, that's an art in itself.
He's got a biting wit hidden behind the dumbass facade.

Says the person with no comic.

>Facade
Yeah, no. I think Bones's antics have been going on long enough to be pretty he's not doing this all as a joke. Even if he is some dude just playing dumbass, he's been doing it for years now, and that's sad in itself, and he's still a nuisance in these threads.

If he didn't post an actually decent piece of SU fanart in a different thread years back, constantly change his problem areas as if he was deliberatelyvpicking them out, and emulate the content and behavior of other posters, I'd believe you.

He's just getting giggles, and I appreciate it.

Please post this alleged "actually decent" SU fanart.

Where is my clone he hasn't posted in a while.

>need to find more names for bones.

Did he finally go away to git gud...

You seriously think I'd save that for an internet argument two or three years later?

It was a watercolor of the Nikki Minaj one. He used actual complimentary color choices and had a decent sense of form while he was still posting neon green MSPaint comics in the thread. Like I said, I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it. I wouldn't believe CF can secretly draw competently but doesn't put forth the effort either if he hadn't posted decent fanart before. The mind boggles.

You know, some of his preliminary work and sketches actually look halfway decent, too.

Its just that he slaps the ugly thick lines over that stuff, and then fills in the eye-searing colors with the paintbucket tool in MS Paint.

I'm not sure how it should end.. the whole reason it's so great is you want to know, and can't imagine

holy shit strawbs you've gotten a lot better
stop replying to bones though. you're saying what we're all thinking but there's a reason we aren't saying it

it really is impressive. he keeps upping the quality to get interest then intentionally yanking it back down. you can see how all the heads on these new designs are off-center, a mistake he's never made before, and the rest of the anatomy is more naive than usual as well. clearly intentional to get us ruffled

Slowly but surely. Am I a monster for trying to artificially create waifus?

nah, just misguided. you should create waifu organically and naturally. it works a lot better

I can do writing way better than drawing, so hopefully it'll all work out with characterization.

What are some of the worst traits of (bad) webcomics you notice during story arcs, user? I want to introduce the occasional arc without coming off as ham-fisted when breaking away from one shot jokes.

I think it's good now

nobody likes when a story drags on and on and suddenly every page is just part 8 of 12 in a super long monologue that the speaker thinks is really clever and then you realize 6 months has gone by in real life