What do you think of the I Am Bane arc?

what do you think of the I Am Bane arc?

It's entertaining me
I wish the whole run was made in live action shorts with ridiculous over the top acting and action sequences
But then I think that about all comics that I enjoy but also think are pretentious

I like it.

It's a big arc

for who?

I'm enjoying it.
When was the last time Bane was the villain of a major arc before King's run?

Uhhhhhh
I think he was a villain in Finch's Batman for an arc
Before that he was an anti-hero in Secret Six for a few years

Oh yeah, he took over Gotham for a day during Forever Evil if I remember right
Also he was a main villain of the Talon book right before then
Both of these had fantastic art

Big waste of time that could have ended in 3 issues.

I hope the next issue consists of Bats and Bane brawling it out, not saying a word, but instead having narrative dialogue describe the fight in detail a la older comics.

Never been a fan of Bane. This arc hasn't changed my mind

I like it.

It feels padded out.

The pacing is slow as all hell and the dialogue has been rather weak (at least for the last two issues where it's been mostly Bane screaming).

That said, I do like the plot itself. Bane having to run the gauntlet is fun.

how do you even judge or qualify "good" or "bad" dialogue? It's there mostly to move the story forward. if it's about naturalistic dialogue, a.) everybody speaks differently and therefore there is no standard of dialogue and b.) its superheroes

I'm not saying your criticism is invalid, I'm just trying to understand how you judge and qualify dialogue on a scale of good to bad

The plot itself is great but the pace is absolute shit, entire issues are basically a single spread diluted across 24pgs, its slow and it feels like I should not buy this because its not worth buying a single issue to watch Batman move across the prison or Bane crush the baddies over and over again.

Point taken.

Bane's dialogue for the last two issues has been reduced to "I am x" or "Do you know who I am?" which gets annoying after a while, specially if you're reading the two issues one after the other. It's like he can't say anything else.

Meanwhile all the villains in the gauntlet have basically been giving one-liners which gives a very "Ok, you're Grundy, that's your thing, thank you, on to the next one" kind of vibe.

Of course, this is subjective and you may like it. It's just my thoughts.

>Back and forth dialogue
>Bane says "Mommy"
>Grundy jobs to Bane
Only good thing was Bat Burger

I get what you're going for, and in some sense I agree. I'd argue that what King is trying to do is thematic/metaphoric, playing with the archetypes and key points of these characters and showing how they can be reduced in a form of 20 pages, but the execution is muddied precisely because of page limits and this tendency to try and be artsy and dramatic about it

I think it had the most potential out of this run, but then shit the bed the hardest with the jarring writing of constant repetiveness, Batman purposely getting his shit kicked in for no real reason for his master plans, the weird suicide squad he put together, despite the fact he could have enacted the exact same plan by bringing the Batfamily along, the silly cat/bat shit, and the occasional moments of almost Bendis Speech. Also the Robins jobbing off screen was dissapointing after their awesome bro moment, (though I wish Tim was there for it.)

the last couple issues have felt really slow it started off great though IMO

it's already better then I am Suicide though so I'm happy about that

You're mixing "I am Suicide" and "Rooftops" into "I am Bane". They're separate arcs that lead into each other.

>Also the Robins jobbing off screen was dissapointing after their awesome bro moment,
That was the dumbest part.

It was almost comedic.

>Grundy jobs to Bane
this was my biggest problem bane supposedly beat down a lot of people he shouldnt have been able to and why the fuck was a actually zombie in arkham you cant say they didnt know he was a zombie because he says he died the guy can fight superman how the fuck did bane beat him

i'm more excited for this war of jokes and riddles arc, especially cuz its running from #25-32, experimenting with an 8 issue arc instead of the regular five

I'm glad it's double shipping could you image waiting 2 years for this to wrap up?

Is it really a thing? I thought Riddler was just referring to Zero Year in the last issue.

nah fammo a solicit came out today and everything

>8 issue arc
Oh come on.

I love Bane but I just can't get interested in this book

it's happening during/immediately post-Zero Year.

dancing between the raindrops

So why are people so divided about King's Batman run? Why do some of you like it or dislike it?

I love Bane but it's pretty mediocre. The hamfisted one liners and the fact that he's just beating the fuck out of people instead of doing anything really smart or interesting just makes it fall flat to me.

Still, he's fucking better than he was in Secret Six. Anything is better than Secret Six Bane.

>people mad he beat amiggy and grundy

Are you fucking dense? They literally tell you he is taking lethal amounts of venom in his bloodstream. He beat them because he is going out with a bang and doesnt care anymore.

The price of popularity. Now that he's mainstream, Sup Forums has to retroactively hate his work.

this

I like it a lot. Bane was built up as a threat pretty well, and the reverse knightfall gimmick in the most recent issue was a lot of fun. The clunky way of taking the Robins out of the story keeps it as just good instead of great, but everything else has been pretty well done.

Probably my favorite arc of the Rebirth Batbooks, as long as the ending doesn't suck.

I share your feelings.

I Am Gotham was anti climatic. I Am Suicide was way too long. Rooftops was okay I guess. But the most recent issue has me hyped for twenty pages of Batman fighting Bane.

Great. Tom's first run sucked, and because it sucked I was being real pouty for the first half of I Am Suicide, but right now it's undeniable he's a good fit.

*first arc

it's honestly not up to the standards of his previous works. I'm still enjoying it to a degree, but the step down in quality is obvious

Looked back at the arc thus far, noticed nearly every gutter in the storyline has been black, while I Am Gotham began white and went to black over time. Helps build on the claustrophobic feel.

Also, a single recent inmate of Arkham didn't appear last issue. Food for thought.

neither did dum, dee, condiment king and kite man though dude, and im certain they were in the same issue as SG was

Grundy's powerlevel changes with each resurrection

Batman also mentioned that Scarface killed 8 people during the war of jokes and riddles. King's been building up to it since pretty early on the run