Storytime: Doctor Fate

Storytime: Doctor Fate
Let's read Dr. Fate Annual (1989)!

We're already off to a great start!

>the legend
so was "New Format" just their way of saying "not newsstand" twice? Or just "no comic code"?

>DON'T TOUCH ME

I wish I knew.

I'm new-ish to DC and I'm constantly amazed at the quality of the "deep cuts."

pls no company wars

The 80's were a better time for DC.

>By your powers combined

I think DeMatteis is the best magic comic writer besides maybe Carey

I can't help, but love this sort of stuff.

>the 80's
true, but because of the age of the characters it seems like the creators have a bit more reverence for the property than Marvel has really ever had outside of a few creator-centric exceptions.

I certainly don't disagree.

I can't remember, did Nabu ever appear in Sandman? I remember representatives of Order and Chaos showing up in the Seasons of Mists arc, but I can't remember if he was ever mentioned

Damn I want to own DeMatteis' run. Too bad DC will never sell it as a graphic novel.

Finis, but not the end of this storytime.

[muffled Amazing Grace in the distance]

Just looked up the artist for the first part because there were some really great pages in there and well....I think I need to track down Bondage Gallery and Bustline Combat....that definitely looks like his best work.

I was drinking coke, you bastard. Won't lie, though. That song makes me cry like a bitch.

END

bump

this seems pretty similar to marvel's "The Gargoyle" except this is incoherent

A little context helps. You should look into reading more of DeMatteis's Dr. Fate.

What else magic stuff has he done? I mostly remember him on JLI and Spider-man and his new 52 phantom stranger.

Marvel Graphic Novel #20 ("Greenberg the Vampire"); #23 ("Doctor Strange: Into Shamballa") (1986)
JLD Dark 24-40
House of Mystery #270, 272, 274, 282, 284, 287-291, 293, 295, 297-298, 321 (1979-1983)
Moonshadow, which is an absolutely gorgeous book that deserves an oversized edition
Spectre vol. 4 #1-27 (2001-2003)
Trinity of Sin #1-5 (2014-2015)
Trinity of Sin: Phantom Stranger #9-22, Futures End #1 (2013-2014)
Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme #84-90 (1995-1996)
and some beautiful Silver Surfer issues

He appeared in The Books of Magic which also featured Dream, I think that's as close as it gets.

someone should storytime that epic!
most underrated Vertigo series by far

We need a Hypercrisis Thread, I just made a new discovery! I was just reading Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld and in it it is revealed that Gemworld was created after the magical creatures fled Earth in the past and made a deal with demons to be allowed to make their land in this new realm (Hell), this is the same explanation given for the formation of The Land of Fairie in The Books of Magic series. Additionally, I had just read Action Comics #886, in which it's revealed that almost all Supernatural/Metaphysical planes of existence exist within or are connected to a magical realm called Sorcerer's World. Here's where it gets interesting, Both Gemworld and Fairie eventually free themselves from their contract with Hell, it's at this point that they must be given asylum by Dream to stay within The Dreaming. This not only solves the issue of these separate realms being said to exist within the Dreaming in the Multiversity map, but it also fits with Sorcerer's World encompassing all these dimensions because Hell and Nightmare are right next to each other on the map. Which also explains the connection between the 5D and The Dreaming.

I would love that, Amethyst is such an underrated and great series but I've only read it in black and white

Same here. Also, in Legion of Super-Heroes #292, one of the Masters of Sorcerer's world looks a lot like Granch from Amethyst, he could have ascended to some kind of godhood after he died. Plus the villain of that story is Mordru, this all fits when you think about both of these characters connection to Gemworld, and its connection to Sorcercer's world.

You really have to appreciate the ink and color that went into this page. Especially the freak on the right.

Bump for reading

stop

>Amethyst
DC swords and sorcery comics are highly underrated.

>Hypercrisis Thread
I'm almost ready to either do a heavily annotated Grant Morrison storytime or some kind of shitty video. I've been reading Jung and Campbell and lots of other archetype/metastory-inclined thinkers. (all of a sudden all of that fish/Pisces stuff in Nameless makes a lot more sense)

Bump for this guy.

God, Fate gets so much less love than he deserves, even on Sup Forums.

I think the Andrew Bennett storyline is brilliant, it makes me almost prefer Linda&Eric to Kent.

Then again, it's hard to find many of the old Kent stories.