Is modern day Frank Miller a bad artist?

Is modern day Frank Miller a bad artist?

Other urls found in this thread:

harveyjames.tumblr.com/post/143735873863/theory-frank-millers-recent-work-is-good-but-it
harveyjames.tumblr.com/post/143735873863/theory-frank-millers-recent-work-is-good-but-it#_=_
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Frank Miller was the Rob Liefeld of his time

I'm no professional artist but...
>Bicep looks fucking weird
>His neck seems to be far lower than it should be
>Left leg seems to be dislocated
I don't read cape all that much but is this shit commonplace?

no, that looks badass

No, he's pretty good.

No, but it looks like he gives much less of a shit when doing covers, compared to do actual comic pages.

>right foot

>t.Jim Lee

No, he's an excellent artist that plebs cannot appreciate because his art is heavily stylized.

Have you seen him lately? He's bad at living in general, not just art

He'd be called a good artist if he wouldve been publishing pro Al qaeda, pro Islam and pro occupy comics.

I don't like it but this guy has a good theory about it:

harveyjames.tumblr.com/post/143735873863/theory-frank-millers-recent-work-is-good-but-it

Tl;dr, it's the "realistic" house style coloring that fucks it up bc it's not meant to be realistic.

>using older image

Meh,i kinda like his art,i can't really explain why other then i just think it looks interesting.

He isn't very technically proficient but i'd say he's an amazing artist

no because his art still has energy. it's retarded energy now but at least it's still energy

give me that over something that's not retarded but had the life sucked out of it

That's not how you color those inks.

Ah so there's that missing chunk of that leg.

Yeah wtf why'd they try to make him look shiny lmao i dont think miller's ever drawn anything as 'shiny'

Honestly, good inking and colouring seems to be more and more of a rarity at the big two these days.

harveyjames.tumblr.com/post/143735873863/theory-frank-millers-recent-work-is-good-but-it#_=_

nah, it's more like the coloring in it doesnt match the style of the line art.

no, the piece you show is exaggerated to a deliberate degree and still looks good.

Holy Terror, in spite of its weak plot, had some of the best panelling in i have seen in years and hasn't yet been beaten.

Miller's art is so heavily stylized that it's hard to criticize from a formal perspective. Harder still because it's art that's intended to tell a visual narrative and not just look pretty on its own.
It really all comes down to appeal.Personally I've never been a huge fan of Miller, but I appreciate he has an idiosyncratic style when a lot of DC;s other artists all look a bit samey.

Hmm i'll have to give it a read then

i hope you enjoy it, though i really do mean it when i say there's a weak plot. Still good moments, like All-Star but suffers from the one thing Miller really does have trouble with these days, pacing.

He's always been dependent on having an inker redraw his worst pencils. Now that's not happening. Also, alcoholism and cancer.

Yes.

Both look like shit, top one is much better, but it still shit

That dude is recolouring Miller/Varley pages i.e. he's a fucking retard.