They're gonna fuck this up aren't they

they're gonna fuck this up aren't they..

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-08-01/.104886
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

most certainly, yes

It was already crap, someone post it

Am I retarded or does this film have characters from other movies and games and stuff? I swore I saw some familiar characters pop up in the trailer but I wasn't sure

The only way you could fuck it up would be to make it actually good

Yes, we will all lament the day Hollywood ruined a mediocre book.

It has loads. The whole story revolves around nostalgia

How do you fuck up something that was shit to begin with

hmmm, I dunno you might be on to something...

Or as I like to call it, Reddit Player One.

You know, that's a fun idea if not a little derivative and childlike. Swore I saw the Iron Giant in the trailer for some reason

I know people complain about the bad dialog a lot, but it's a future where the general population started emulating the eighties. How the fuck do you expect people to sound?

How do you "fuck up" terrible source material? Make it good/

>Ultraman
No
Fuck you

People in the 80's didn't speak like Wikipedia articles.

Good. The book's already pure cancer. I hope it flops.

he was in the trailer, so were freddy krueger and duke nukem off the top of my head
it isn't dialogue, their are whole pages that are literally just listing off the most pedestrian 80s pop culture imaginable

>already having to prepare for the barrage of normies that will watch it and then try to engage with any of the cheap, puddle-deep 'look how nerdy I am' references to other media

>How can you fuck up that which was never good

Who has the Ultraman movie rights?

At any rate, the issue is somewhat moot, because the property is still the subject of an ongoing legal war between Tsuburaya Productions, the show's original creator (now owned by ad agency and entertainment conglomerate TYO Inc.) and a Thai company called Chaiyo Productions (and now UM Corporation). The story goes that the two companies had collaborated on two movies in the 70s, and Chaiyo's president, a man named Sompote Saengduenchai, claims that in 1976, Noboru Tsuburaya (son of founder Eiji Tsuburaya) signed over the rights to everything Ultraman related outside of Japan in exchange for a loan. (Noboru Tsuburaya died in 1995.)

Saengduenchai did indeed have a name-stamped document proving this, although it's extremely vague. Tsuburaya Productions claims that it's a forgery, and points out that the document gets a number of names wrong, including the names of series as well as Tsuburaya's corporate name. The ensuing legal battle waged for 8 years across courts in both countries. The ultimate decision in 2004 officially gave Chaiyo the rights to the first six shows from the Ultra Series (Ultra Q through 1973's Ultraman Taro) outside of Japan, as well as Jumborg Ace. But the ruling was unclear: Chaiyo (and their local press) claimed that they now had worldwide-except-Japan rights for everything Ultraman-related; Tsuburaya's interpretation was that Chaiyo only had broadcast rights for these seven shows in Thailand and Merchandising rights worldwide.

During the dispute, Chaiyo came up with a few new Ultraman franchises (in the form of stage shows and new merchandise), and had a TV show in development in China. Tsuburaya sued again, and another years-long international court battle ensued.

They fucked up the adaptation of this really bad novel and made it good by accident!

Saengduenchai claims to be the co-creator of the show (a claim that Thailand's supreme court dismissed in 2008, smacking down Chaiyo's ability to produce new Ultraman content), and while both sides have won court cases and lost court cases, it's not at all clear where things currently lie. Several articles I found chronicalling the whole thing seem to contradict each other and sometimes themselves, and I just can't make any sense of them. Regardless, both companies are still acting like they own the rights to the franchise outright, which is completely untenable to any large corporation wanting to engage in a big worldwide project.

Tsuburaya has continued to produce new Ultra Series shows, with several recent ones having ended up on Crunchyroll. (That Tsuburaya can produce and sell new Ultraman stuff in Japan does not appear to be in dispute.) Chaiyo has continued to license broadcast and home video rights to the pre-1974 series, and transferred ownership to a new American company, UM Corporation, in 2007. Finally, UM Corporation launched a fresh lawsuit against Tsuburaya last year for putting the classic shows on YouTube worldwide. And so the war rages on.

What a mess. No Hollywood studio or financier would ever touch this legal hot potato. It's practically inviting a legal nightmare upon yourself! The two companies would never work together on anything, and you would surely be sued by whichever company you ended up not buying the rights from. At best, you'd have produced a film that you'd be unable to release in Japan, the one country where Ultraman is a guaranteed hit! Nonetheless, as late as 2013 Sompote Saengduenchai, now in his mid-70s, was telling enthusiast press websites that a feature film was, in fact, in the works, and that they were hoping for Will Smith to star in the project. At the time, Saengduenchai estimated a 2016 release for the film. I'm pretty sure we can ignore.

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-08-01/.104886

/thread

Post it fags

Fuck up what? The book was shit there is nothing to ruin in that one.

is this fanfiction? how the fuck did something this bad get published, let alone made into a movie? the film is just gonna be two hours of retards in the audience counting references isn't it?

How do you fuck this up? It's basically on the literary level of a fanfic, it would be really hard to make something worst.

>fuck up whats already fucked

>the film is just gonna be two hours of retards in the audience counting references isn't it?
Yes, it's going to be the ultimate reddit flick.

This is the kind of book a 90s 11 year old would write

>and then Robocop was there and then there was a dinosaur and Optimus Prime and they all had a big fight and then and then there was the cool car from back to the Future! and the Green Power Ranger got out (Tommy obviously because he's the coolest one) and and he said a cool thing

>how the fuck did something this bad get published

Publishers know that there was a whole generation of adult children out there who'd make it a bestseller because their childhoods were happier times and anything that calls them back to those times is going to sell like hotcakes

That's disappointing. I would have loved to see him have a movie in the Godzilla universe

Yes, but add the sensibilities of a manchild soyboy in his thirties who never grew up past that mental age, became a radical leftist who thinks Wil Wheaton would make the best president and having a male character actually being an overweight black lesbian is progressive and edgy.

>go to see justice league with unironic redditor friend i haven't seen in a while
>rp1 trailer
>say it looks lame
>"yeah i read the book and it was pretty much just pop culture references so i wouldn't expect this to be any good"

This

So the Ultimate Showdown of ultimate destiny basically?

when i heard about this book i expected the references to be a lot worse desu, although the anime listed here aren't exactly obscure

still reads poorly and i doubt i'd be able to finish this book but i'm surprised such a mainstream western book has references to any anime other than gundam

More like reddit player one haha

Yes, but without the jaunty musical track or entertaining rhymes

Trailer looked like shit. When was the exact moment Spielberg lost his mojo?

>OH LOOK, IT'S THAT THING FROM THAT MOVIE!
>I GET THE REFERENCE!!
>THIS MOVIE IS LITERALLY JUST A "NERD" FAN JERK FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME THAT LOVE UNDERSTANDING MULTIPLE REFERENCES IN A MOVIE!!!!!

It's trash

>mediocre

That's generous.

How do you fuck up total garbage? It couldn't get any worse than a direct adaptation.

This sounded like it had potential from the basic premise alone.
But, then again, I haven't read a single line from the source material.

It's going to bomb, and it's going to be hilarious.

I don't know a single person who is excited for it.

Tintin

> that part where wade fucks a sex doll

I hope it's there