Why did Rusty say no to being a supervillain?

Why did Rusty say no to being a supervillain?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oq3cUGDc70o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

He didn't want to be considered evil

Too much of a narcissist. He can't stop trying to be "the good guy" of his own shitty story.

The main characteristic of Rusty is not wanting to admit his flaws. He grew up on the shadow of his father and still want to live up to his name, but deep inside he aways hated his father and the corny egotistic kind of person he was

Considering how tame super-villains are in that universe in terms of real, civilian-endangering villainy... Probably a combination of his lack of incentive to be successful by any means, and a light bias weighing in favor of the "protagonist" alignment that's developed from his days as a boy adventurer, which even at worse still afforded him the mild novelty of being "the good guy".

Although he fails to live up as a good person, he sill views himself as one. So when presented the option to become a villain it went agent how he perceived himself even if it actually was a better fit.

deep down inside, and I mean really deep, he's a good guy.. sort of. the kind of good guy that just wants to be okay and let other people be okay and live with it. he'd never put anyone through the suffering he's been through unless they were the ones at fault for it and it was revenge.. and even then he'd probably find something better to do.

Probably something to do with the Guild or something.

Or maybe because of his dad.

He wants to be a good guy. He might not be, and probably won't ever be, but he does WANT to be a good guy.

When's the next season, 2035?

if we're lucky

"Time" will no longer exist as a concept when it airs, so it's kind of a hard thing to really put a date on.

Because he still labors under the delusion that he's not a horrible person.

It's actually coming this winter! It'll be back before Rick and Morty at this rate.

>It's actually coming this winter!
Oh hey, my dad works at Nintendo too.

What is your source on this?
>inb4 some article from a year ago

So in -1/12 years?

>Negative one-twelth years

So last month

Didn't you here? 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 ... = -1/12

It probably helps that supervillainy is more or less acknowledged as pathetic even in-universe- all the successful, well-adjusted ones are just regular criminals putting on a gimmick for the Guild perks, with the remainder being psychotic manchild retards like the Monarch and Phantom Limb. Honestly, becoming a villain would actually be a step down for him.

considering who raised him, its a wonder he turned out as well as he did

I disagree. Jonas might have been a shitty father but even then Rusty could have either manned the fuck up and tried to live like he'd been raised or just cut his ties with capeshit and gotten on with his life but he did neither. He basically just decided to coast on his father's accomplishments while half-assing it as a hero and built his identity around "I had a shitty childhood so my life isn't my fault".

half assing as a hero means that hes trying to be one. it seems that all the men that were kids in the game are all fucked up in various ways.

jonas wasnt just a shitty father. he was a man celebrated as a world glory while being as dirty as the villains that he pursued. making racist quips while your son is kidnapped is more than a shitty father. leaving your son for dead to go to a party held by jfk and then physically assaulting the men who saved your son is more than a shitty father. making your very young son kill a man is more than a shitty father. leaving your son in the care of the psychoes that are team venture is... well you get the point. the boy has needed help for day one that hes never gotten and has stunted him to all hell.

>half assing as a hero means that hes trying to be one.
If he was trying to be a hero he wouldn't have made a machine powered by bits and pieces of an orphan or tried to sell weaponized corpses to the government as biological weapons. He's just drifting without conviction along the path in life his father set him on, neither doing anything proactive or doing something else. He's just muddling through middle age while pissing away his inheritance to the sound of hearty sighs of self-pity. If you want to see what Rusty could be, look at JJ. JJ rejected everything Rusty was and Rusty rejected everything his father was - JJ is Rusty if Rusty decided to step out of his father's shadow instead of wallowing in self-absorbed misery and prescription drugs.

Makes me think of when Rusty was verbally abused by Jonas for voicing that he didn't like being put into life threatening situations. If that's anything to go by, it indicates that Jonas was probably often verbally abusive, and that shit alone can fuck up a kid for the rest of their life. Adding in the rest of the shit you mentioned is enough to create a totally dysfunctional human; the fact that Rusty can function in society at all is a miracle.

JJ's success was probably due to his deal with the investors though. Let's not oversell him.

>jonas wasnt just a shitty father. he was a man celebrated as a world glory while being as dirty as the villains that he pursued. making racist quips while your son is kidnapped is more than a shitty father. leaving your son for dead to go to a party held by jfk and then physically assaulting the men who saved your son is more than a shitty father. making your very young son kill a man is more than a shitty father. leaving your son in the care of the psychoes that are team venture is... well you get the point. the boy has needed help for day one that hes never gotten and has stunted him to all hell.
I wish I had a father like Jonas. He was trying to teach Rusty what it means to be a man, Rusty is just made of quit and bitch. And we love him for it.

JJ's success was due to his initiative; his literal deal with the devil just moved the timetable up.

Jonas' issue is him trying to teach him anything was secondary. He just wanted to continue his lifestyle and take Rusty along for the ride. Being an awesome dad was just another box to tick off which is why when Rusty challanged that idea he snapped at him.
JJ didn't know about his dealings and presumably was doing great before he began selling all his shit to pull a Gargantua 2.
JJ was still trying to be his dad but he was smart enough to realize he couldn't literally be his dad and was lucky enough to not be victim to his bullshit. He just had a second hand view of him and enough objectivity to step back and say what parts of the lifestyle don't work.

no, jj is rusty if rusty decided he wanted to be just like jonas. jj is also lucky to be unaware of the man jonas truly was in trying to emulate him. and its pretty funny that up until the end, he looked to be going down jonas' path. luckily, he was proven to be a better man than jonas in the end. and i wasnt alluding that rusty was trying to be a hero. i was saying to half ass as a hero, you have to be trying in the first place.

what was rusty supposed to learn if he was still on that boat when it exploded? keeping that psycho action man and that rapist col. gentlemen around?

>his literal deal with the devil

what? did i miss something?

>what? did i miss something?
The Investors.

>Jonas' issue is him trying to teach him anything was secondary. He just wanted to continue his lifestyle and take Rusty along for the ride. Being an awesome dad was just another box to tick off which is why when Rusty challanged that idea he snapped at him.
Why else would he have Rusty kill a guy as a kid? Jonas gets more flak than he deserves, his intentions were good.

it was jonas they were after? i thought they were on killinger for going rogue and doing what he wanted instead of abiding by the investors rules

what does killing a man teach rusty as a kid? especially with no background as to why he had to? how is a kid supposed to process that. and jonas deserves more. remember all the kids he left trapped at the bottom of the compound, and poor entmann?

The road to hell is paved in good intentions, Jonas didn't know how to be a father in the slightest.

>what does killing a man teach rusty as a kid?
To overcome his squeamishness, to recognize the importance of violence. And I don't mean that in some absurd way, being comfortable with aggressiveness is essential to masculine development and Rusty still has trouble with it in his 40s/50s. I feel Jonas was honestly trying to set Rusty up for the life before him, even though Rusty clearly wasn't compatible with it.
That's fairer, but point was it's not that he simply didn't care it's more like Jonas is a bit...autistic. The same way Prof. Impossible was when he delivered that Ssssscience? line when asked what's more important than his family. His mind works a certain way, and it isn't great for relationships.

>he'd never put anyone through the suffering he's been through unless they were the ones at fault for it and it was revenge
Aren't plenty of supervillians about "muh revenge"? The Monarch, for one.

We don't know exactly why they were there. They could've just been appearing as mundane investors like they did that one time at College, but then they moved along Sovereign's plan to kill everyone on Gargantua and left to kill their brother because I guess they deduced he was nearby.
I'm wagering less autistic and more just plain selfish. Also I think Rusty just got caught up in the crossfire. Shooting a man wasn't some test to make Rusty a man. He just so happened to be the only person there who could shoot that guy and save the day so Team Venture forced him to then being a band of psychos didn't assume what that'd do to a 9 year old.

> to recognize the importance of violence

i get the point of having to use force at times when you dont want to, but thats generally with bullies that you have to deal with as a kid. taking a life is a far gone extreme.most of the population will never have to deal with. and those that have are pretty fucked with the results

>I feel Jonas was honestly trying to set Rusty up for the life before him, even though Rusty clearly wasn't compatible with it.

it seems like most kids were incompatible with it. most boy and girl_______ seem to get all fucked up when they get older. these people had kids, and instead of adjusting their lives for the well beings of their children, they instead did the inverse, and tried to modify their kids for the sake of their convenience. going to school could have gone a long way in helping rusty. instead, learning beds

This. He's basically me.

I'm a terrible human being and I don't mean that in an edgy teenager way, I mean it in a grown as adult who has done a lot of bad, shitty, fucked up things. Borderline criminal as well as criminal. But I still want to be good and try to do good.

But I came to the realization that every single bad thing that's ever happened to me is my own fault as well.

>My father made me kill a man–kill a man with a house key! I was 10!
I think you're thinking of the TV show. >most of the population will never have to deal with.
Right, but not the super-science population.

Dr. Quim turned out alright.

>taking a life is a far gone extreme.most of the population will never have to deal with
Most of the population also isn't targeted by supervillains on a daily basis. The kind of life Rusty would have was set as soon as he was conceived because of who his father was, much like a noble.

rusty wouldnt be either. supervillains dont give a shit about him and see him as a shadow of his father. the monarch and his unknown hatred for rusty is the only villain pursuing him. and even that might have something to do with jonas

>supervillains dont give a shit about him and see him as a shadow of his father.
Most supervillains aren't exactly winners either, though, and the bottom of the barrel is pretty similar no matter which barrel you're talking about. Shit-tier "heroes" like Rusty get shit-tier villains like Dr. Dugong

>the monarch and his unknown hatred for rusty is the only villain pursuing him.
And when that can't happen for whatever reason, he gets a new Arch and life goes on.

Because S1-S5 were all about failure. Rusty's whole deal was that he was put through the wringer by Jonas and wasn't really well adjusted for when he gained his dad's fortune. He can't really be a good person anymore because of the actions he's taken as a functioning adult, but he still honestly tries to be good. In the end, it's what helped kept Hank and Dean from becoming permanently traumatized by being the kids of a globetrotting super scientist.

Either that or he thought he couldn't afford it even with Killinger's remodels.

I don't even think it has anything to do with being a good person. I think the idea to him of being a super villain with his brother as his arch kind of offended him like its admiting his brother was a better super scientist than him.

All Dr Killinger did was show Dr Venture the natural course should he continue to resent and envy his brother who was more like their father than Rusty was(And the true heir as Rusty was insecure about since their first encounter).

By turning down the offer to become a villain and arch his own brother, Dr Venture was able to get over those feelings or at least better manage them.

he's not that awful really. When he found out he got a teenager pregnant he felt bad and really wanted to try and make it right, but her mom kicked him out and wouldn't take his money.

He didn't pay real close attention to his sons but he sort of didn't need to since he knew he had dozens of back ups for each of them

He does abandon Brock in the house of mummies but Brock sort of doesn't need protecting

The time he lets a kid die at his daycamp he cloned him and rewrites his DNA while he's at it because in the course of an afternoon's routine work he discovered the kid was predisposed to cancer

Being evil is too much work. All those henchmen, all that production, all that fear of success.

Then again he had no problem taking over a multi-billion dollar company, so I guess he just isn't really interested in Evil. I mean he's never cared for the whole hero, villain nonsense, doesn't matter which side he's on.

He wasn't a real villain

I think he did write a check for that one

have you seen the monarch?
fuck that
also foreshadowing the episode

>He does abandon Brock in the house of mummies but Brock sort of doesn't need protecting

He also bawled his eyes out when he thought Brock had died during the first episode, calling him his "angel."

What about The Red Death?

It doesn't fit the picture he has of himself.

He's sort of fits into the second idea except instead of being a gimmicky mafioso he's a serial killer. He uses the Guild to let out his murderous aggression then goes back to being a good dad the rest of the year.

Because under all the cynicism and apathy he's still a good person at heart. I'm fairly certain that was the point of that whole episode.

Rusty is basically the "super villain trying his damnedest to be a hero" interpretation of Hank Pym. Everything about him just screams "villain", but the very act of trying to be a good guy despite that is the reason he'd never make it as a villain.

Because he was terrorized by villains as a kid and knows what it's like to go through all of that even if it was showmanship. He resents his dad for putting him through that but to become a villain means to inflict the same paranoia and bullshit on others that he was trying to get awy from his whole life. He wants to believe he's better than being someone who continues partaking in this asinine system. In that regard he's the opposite of The Monarch who can only thrive on filling his role of villain.

Alright boys, question time
Who killed Jonas?
The Investors?

Because Rusty is a shitty person, but not evil. His life is a series of mistakes, not bad intentions. Stepping into super villainy is a line he will not cross.

Would trying to cut his ties to capeshit have even worked? Monarch is so obsessive he would have tracked him down. Being Jonas' son, he would be on an OSI watch list.

hes not dead, hes fucking around in a space orgy somewhere

It's all a ruse: his identical twin was killed. Jonas has been pulling strings somewhere in the background. Or maybe he went to the dark side and somehow, some way, the Venture team will end up defeating him through sheer incompetence.

Or maybe in the next 2 days?

It probably an accident that was something embarrassingly stupid and mundane. Something so humiliating that everyone involved spends the rest of their days actively avoiding even recollecting the set of circumstances to led to his death, not unlike how families deal with death by choke 'n stroke.

Because, ultimately, he is not a bad man. Neither was Jonas.

Just like the Monarch, ultimately, IS a bad man.

Jonas Sr realizes what an ass he had been to Rusty
Goes to call him
Takes a deep breath as he prepares to say the words he's never said before. "I was wrong"
Dials Rusty's Transponder
Suddenly the windows smash open with gunfire and smoke
>JONAS VENTURE, IT IS I, DICK NOXON! AND I HAVE COME TO REEK HORRIBLE VENGANCE TO WHAT YOU DID TO ME ON THE ISLAND OF MYSTERIOUS MINIATURE MEN! *See Rusty Venture episode 266*
Gunfire continues to pour through the Venture Compound as Jonas falls backwards
>STOP SHOOTING YOU IMBECILES, HE CAN'T HEAR MY VILLIANOUS SPEECH
>Sorry Boss
>Now where are you Jonas? Oh.
A dead Jonas Venture was on the floor with a shattered Erlenmeyer flask sticking out of his ass.
>Well Boss. I guess we should clean this up.
>Yeah, just, hoo. Man I don't want to be around when the rest of Team Venture shows up...
>Hey Jonas heard some rabble going on in here
>Oh shit! Run you idiots! Back to the Presidential Chopper of Doom!

>

Imagine being tied up by costumed assholes your whole life only to be told you ARE that costumed dickhead. The proper response is to give Killinger the finger.

So...
Auto erotic asphyxiation?

>Jonas
He could easily get a woman that could choke him during sex if that got him off

Yeah, but sometimes you just gotta take care of yourself.

IT'S POWERED BY A FORSAKEN CHILD?!

I'm wagering he probbably died some shitty way unbefitting the hottest shit ever. Like he died in a sex stunt or something dumb like that. Kano vowed to keep the fact that Jonas died of a ruptured anus because he shoved a filled champagne bottle up his butthole with a bunch of hookers.
No they're all bad men. They just lack the introspection to ask themselves if what they're doing is the right thing because they're so obviously the good guys, and when anything challenges that idea they're not the good guy they either get defensive or have a mental break. Monarch is sort of the opposite in that he knows he's the bad guy but feels totally justified in being so and gets pissy when you imply he isn't justified. The good guys believe they're good guys without justification, the bad guys believe they're bad guys with justification.

Don't you mean

The Blue-face Blastoff? Strokey Chokey? Two-neck Squeeze? Old Gasp and Goo? The Funky Spiderman?

A good point but remember he's putting his own children through the same shit he went through and that's as "good guy"

Same shit, but at least he's doing a better job at raising his kids than Jonas did him. Outside of the whole death-prone thing.

>Because S1-S5 were all about failure.
I really wish people would stop saying this. It was mentioned as a theme in 1 interview, quoted on wiki, and is suddenly the defining narrative of the show.

Killinger only told him what he needed to hear. By casting Rusty in that light he was able to help Venture help himself.

>tfw no more Trianna ever again

Came here to say all this. These guys get it.

Do you think Phantom Limb has ptsd from his time in guild jail?
It was never really brought up how he was guild enemy #1 then welcomed back to the now newly formed guild.
I'd love to see red mantle and Dragoon get revenge against him.

He knows this whole song and dance and I like to think after everything he's beem through has humbled him just enough to be content at where he is now in the guild. As for his mental breakdown I could see him going to a super scientest psychologist to get some help

So what exactly IS a Rusty Venture?

when you finally get laid.

I'll tell you when you're older, son.

I trust Brock's definition the most.

The Rusty Venture?

This random background girl a cute
A CUTE

Kinda hot tho

He desperately wants a normal life with normal people even when that is never going to happen.

Being a villain is about as far from his attempt at being normal as it gets.

>Winter is coming
Subtle. Have a well deserved (you)

>tfw you'll be long dead before VB finishes

>leaving your son for dead to go to a party held by jfk and then physically assaulting the men who saved your son is more than a shitty father.

Those same men were the ones who kidnapped Rusty. Jonas decided to fuck them up for doing the kidnapping even if they did change their minds.

Deep down he isn't
He just acts like one

I think either Jackson or Doc (can't remember which) said he likes to think that Brock was right when asked about it at a panel. The other one said it was just the most random, disgusting thing you can think of

upboat

I want to save her from Mother because it is too late

Finally something I like that doesn't end before I do

>Considering how tame super-villains are in that universe
Some of them are
youtube.com/watch?v=oq3cUGDc70o

>Red hair color
>Only has eyebrows and a goatee
>Uses robots a lot
>Has an archenemy that wants to destroy them at all costs

They keep playing around the concept.

The real problem is nothing is ever set in stone in this series. They will conclusively prove something in one episode only to retcon it out the next season. How many times has Phantom Limb died, only to be right back. How many times has Myra been the twins mother,

I'm thinking we will never know because nothing remains canon for long.