Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s4fvetfzKhI
youtu.be/vsN6QT6834k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

wat
it's probably the best thing about nustarwars

and i hate nustarwars

Is this real

No some amateur made it over a weekend for youtube.

This is like a speedboat knocking over the Titanic.

Actually it's pretty viable, like a tug pushing a large cargo ship

The retarded part is the empire PUTTING TWO CAPITAL CLASS SHIPS SO FUCKING CLOSE TOGETHER

EVEN IF ONE ROTATED UNDER IT'S OWN POWER IT WOULD COLLIDE

i really don't get why this is so offensive.

The one they are pushing had its engines disabled and tugboats exist.

its a neat idea like the short burst moon cannon, but i just don't get how you can just get the idea for such military manuvere, unless akbaRS ARE SOMEHOW THE MOST MIDICLORIAN RICH SPECIES KNOWN TO THE UNIVERSE AND CAN COMBO MASTER TRIFECTAS AND LIFE A LITTLE IN THE FUTURE SO THEY YELL ABOUT THINGS BEING TRAPS ALL THE TIME

are you me? This was the only decent space battle in the whole franchise. The only retarded shit was couple second before when they shown that destroyers had shields

>tiny-ass starship doesn't have enough force to break through Star Destroyer's hull
>but when it pushes the Star Destroyer into another one with the same force the second Star Destroyer shreds to pieces

the slicing ship isnt even taking any damage/resistance(bazinga)

This was actually the only interesting, genuine and creative thing in the entire movie. This scene made me feel like I was watching an actual Star Wars movie instead of a rehash of things we've seen over and over againbut slightly different.

example
youtube.com/watch?v=s4fvetfzKhI

i noticed that too, but frankly speaking it gave the destroyer a lot of kinetic power before the hit

>i just don't get how you can just get the idea for such military manuvere
are you kidding? the idea was just "let's fucking ram into them so they hit each other!"

A speedboat could easily knock over the titanic in space, rocket boosters instead of propellers implied.

The tip of that little ship is diamond I guess

someone will wiki an excuse for this

The one being pushed had it's engines disabled and the other one was moving to cover the gate since it was disabled.

What really doesn't make sense is how everything begins falling down to the gate and planet.

>The tip of that little ship is diamond

It doesn't need to be. It's pushing up against a ship with no thrust or power in a vacuum.

>This is like a speedboat knocking over the Titanic.
Tugboat. Just have to change it's course. They did this to the titanic and they still do it today to much larger ships. In this film the hammerhead is simply connecting to the large ship and then acting as a fuckhuge rocket pod. A rocket acting on the side of a large object will push it off course. The star destroyers own engines could not correct for this in time.

The only really unusual thing is bridge crew of the star destroyer feeling the small impact. They would not.

is this the star wars version of the legolas "action" scene from the hobbit?

I agree with others in here saying this battle was the best part of the movie. That being said, it is really fucking stupid and the fact that something so stupid could be the best part just shows how terrible that movie was.

Forgot pic of tugboat dragging the titanic around.

>Imperial star destroyer
>has literally zero side thrusters

>What really doesn't make sense is how everything begins falling down to the gate and planet.
gravity exists in space, dumbass

but it rammed real hard into something with huge mass

It was disabled dumb dumposter

gravity is a sci-fi myth you baka

>implying I watched the movie

the corvette should have crumpled, lrn 2 fizziks disneyfags

>What really doesn't make sense is how everything begins falling down to the gate and planet.
Well you see, it all started with this guy named Isaac Newton.....

you're an idiot, everything is constantly in orbit, the ""gravity"" would be dragging you relative to the local bodies as well as celestial bodies near

That was pulling. here is a tugboat pushing a ship (a much, much larger ship than the titanic).

right, and they were clearly quite close to that planet. i don't get what you're arguing.

An object does not have mass in space.

The gate had a gravity device. Otherwise, by your "logic" no ships would be able to land using it, because they'd just keep orbiting. The gate has some device to let ships go directly downwards onto the planet's surface.

Do you not know what tugboats are?
I feel like the same retard has been posting this same clip every so often with the same message.

>An object does not have mass in space

Why didnt they just get a fleet of hammerheads and ram the death star to the sun?

Then why didn't it immediately begin falling once it's thrusters and engine were disabled?

Well clearly the shield was at the planet's GSO equivalent, and crashing down into it would just put the ships on an elliptical or suborbital path, not fucking straight down/

If you need me to open Kerbal to demonstrate this I can

You're the retard commenting on a flick you haven't seen

Why didn't they ram the Death star?

Admiral Blackbar

It is, if you watch closely. And the part doing the slicing (the "sharp" part) is taking less damage than the part it's hitting (the "bridge" part). It's feasible.

I don't hate it because of autismal physics reason but because it looks fucking terrible. So empty.

>lightly lodge yourself into a larger object in a vacuum

From there the mass of either is irrelevant. They increased their thrust only after lodging.

>what is torque

you wouldn't inert towards anything you're not being pushed at having your engines off like that, plus why would you make a entry gate where you're idling to resist getting in? sounds dumb

here is a good look at the scale. One tug can easily move the ship on it's own, but a tug at each end gives better control.

people here actually watch movies?

>vacuum
The vacuum part doesn't matter, the "low gravity" part matters.

>Why didn't they ram the Death star?
They sort of did.

No it didn't

naw it was breaking shit off on impact

momentum
>an object in motion tends to stay in motion, unless acted upon by another force/object

>all these autists complaining about physics when this entire expensive set-piece had zero established characters in it

i like the effects but i just can't suspend my disbelief
>inb4 hurr durr is a moovie is not rel

This was the most retarded space battle in the whole franchise. Sport Elisabeth

bullshit, why cheap out on armor of the bridge? which is actually the hull of the vehicle, the bridge is on top somewhere

Vacuum totally mater dumbass, friction is what makes it hard to push things, not gravity.

but in that case, the first destroyer would just continue to push the second one, not rip into it

this is just too retarded to respond to

Kek

It has the force holding it together

>unless acted upon by another force

What do you think gravity is?

Why did gravity only start acting upon it once they got hit and not before?

To clarify, the problem with this scene is that nobody we care about is doing anything. Nobody we care about does anything in the rest of the film, either, but maybe we would have liked alcoholic pilot guy more if he were the one doing this.

>pew, pew, pew
>crash against a destroyer
>no one knows what is going on
>shields up!
>what shields?
yeah thats how SW space battles looked like

The star destroyer still had mass on it's side.Lack of gravity doesn't affect kenetik energy.I doubt the hammerhead has enought trust to overcome the mass of the object it's pushing.This is like a car smashing itself into a concrete block - something has to crumple be it the hammerhead or the star destroyers hull.
I know people are gonna argue about tugboats, but those don't slam themselves at full speed into the sides of container ships.

kek i hate when the art out shines its purpose

Friction is a non-issue here. Mass on the other hand...

That same design for the ship was in KOTOR. good game.

I didn't see any escape pods from the corvette, did they all go to their deaths?

if the first one was pushed up to a moderate speed it really would smash the other one.

Towing a big cargo ship up to even 10 knots, and then let it ram a stationary ship. See the damage. The cargo ship that hit the USS Fitzgerald was only going 14 knots at the time of collision and it caved in the side of the ship and killed many crew members.

The fuckhuge sublight drive on the hammerhead got some decent rotational speed on the first star destoryer before it rammed the second, but the damage was defiantly exaggerated.

we're not talking about SUV's versus sedans here, imagine a parked car getting hit by an equal driving car; is essentially what we should've seen

youtu.be/vsN6QT6834k

>I know people are gonna argue about tugboats, but those don't slam themselves at full speed into the sides of container ships.
It rammed it at low speed, and then kicked in the sublight drives to max.

the stupid part is the destroyer cutting through the other one like hot butter

(you)

But they aren't equal - that's the point.A more apt comparison would be a sedan ramming into a parked tank.

>I have an idea! hey why don't you guys commit suicide!
>yeah okay let's do it

It didn't make the final cut as it was visually distracting, but the Hamerhead crew all escaped through pods before the star destroyer hit the gate facility.

>“We did an animation of that, but Gareth [Edwards, the director] thought it was a little distracting, so we turned that off,” Knoll says.

>But the VFX team kept fighting for the lives of those Rebels, using some of the cutaway shots to justify an unseen escape.

>“The last shot you see of the Star Destroyers crashing down through the gate — it’s a very subtle thing, and it would probably be hard to tell this – but the lifeboats are all gone on the Hammerhead,” Knoll tells EW. “It’s my story that the Hammerhead crew got into the life boats and made it out.”

right well im not counting which one they EMP'd or if they did both and what not or if shields even make you like a nippon sword but regardless the scene needs some amending

Try driving a sedan into a parked sedan 100x it's size.

wait fuck were not even talking about the same thing any more

shit just realized now that Hammerhead-chan got fucked in the gate explosion.

I love how you can tell which shots were Edwards and which shots were not. Guy knows how to film scale.

Makes sense. Edwards as a director is only interested in visual aesthetics. Characters don't matter to him.

Rogue One is a good movie for him then.

>not using the kino 60fps version

Keep dreaming, fatty.

What was this guy's deal? Why didn't he send his death squad to kill Tarkin in his sleep instead of whining to Vader about it?

The problem isn't the physics (it's Star Wars after all), it's that if it was that simple to do what the rebels did, almost certainly the maneuver would be common knowledge and there would be defenses against it.
That said, the space combat has always been somewhat ludicrous in Star Wars. Think of the useless Star Destroyers and Death Stars constantly getting destroyed by small rebel ships in the OT. Or the Death Star in ANH only sending out a handful of TIE fighters even though it has space to hold thousands. It's cartoonish. But in the OT, we didn't care much because we were swept up emotionally in the characters' stories.

horrible compression artefacts but my god it's 60fps

>Idiots comparing a cruise ship to a battleship

I'd like to see a tug boat pull up along side an aircraft carrier and try it

>literally brapping a Star Destroyer into another

After the shield was gone, Jyn and Cassian could just fly away with the plans. Why didn't they even try and instead succumbed to death without any attempts to save their lives?

Fly away in what ship?