Supernatural
>tfw it's actually good and not as girly as Sup Forums says
>tfw episodes like the X-Files, Buffy and Angel
>completely different tone from other shows of the genre
Is Sup Forums ever right?

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.twitter.com/IronFistPodcast
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wait until you get past season six, newfag.

For your own sake stop watching after Season 5.

What is my guarantee that I'm not being given wrong information again?

>Is Sup Forums ever right?
No it's always wrong. Sup Forums is always right, and Sup Forums is always wrong.

This, please stop at S5, S6 at most

Looks like Charmed for millennials

Yeah, you should probably stop after season 5.
How many times has Castiel died so far?

after season 5 you have like one good or okay episode out of every four.
like that episode with the golem and the nazis and Dick roman is a good character.
also that "weekend at bobbys" episode.
but dont make mistake the series get much worse after season 5.

this...it goes from 'fun monster of the week antics' to 'muh god and the devil'...

Enough times that they don't even doubt it's really him

>6
Exceeds expectations
>7
Decent
>8
Decent but stupid mytharc
>9
Absolute shit
>10
Good MOTWs
>11
Most cohesive mytharc post-Kripke and fantastic MOTWs
>12
Fantastic MOTWs. Mytharc is decent but could go either way depending on personal tastes

t. Guy who actually saw each season and even dropped it at one point.

I'm not being a blind fan here and there is a noticeable quality drop but I'm not lying when I say the latter ones really are huge improvements that won me back

>Sup Forums doesn't like supernatural
yeah ok...

Yea everyone is just fucking ripping on it, man its fuckin good tho

I personally found the steady and almost total destruction of the supporting cast irreparably killed the comfy/atmosphere of the setting. At this point Sam and Dean, aging visibly, just feel like they are two broken shells going through the motions.

Now I'm not saying that isn't somewhat realistic, but I liked it when they at least had Bobby and an angel that spends half his existence 'dead' wasn't their sole ally and consistent connection, and there were other 'friends' of the family they would occasionally run into.

It's worse than A Song of Ice and Fire for character longevity, and the brothers (and Cas) are pretty much the only ones to benefit from the revolving door of death.

The show has always been about the brothers. They've lost so many supporting character even in the earlier seasons.

If you really miss Bobby, we see the guy through flashbacks, through missions involving souls in heaven/hell, alternate universes

Sam and Dean ageing visibly is not something I will deny. However, I do not consider this a bad thing. In fact, quite the opposite, I see it as a strength. It's like we're actually growing with them. Especially in fantastic atmospheric episodes like 11.04 Baby, you still see the same dynamic and somehow, after all those years, their inside jokes almost seem to include viewers at this point because of how long we've followed their stories.

>At this point Sam and Dean, aging visibly, just feel like they are two broken shells going through the motions.
I have no real horse in this race because it's been ages since I've watched, but from I've seen/heard, I agree with this wholeheartedly. These guys have sacrificed themselves for this cause and have lost so much, it's a surprise they're not emotionless husks. I feel like both Sam and Dean deserve some semblance of happiness, and I think that happiness would benefit from them being selfish and caring for themselves.

But x files was nothing like Buffy; I only liked the former. I hate shows that have quipy le magic characters that keep recurring kinda like capeshit.

I have never watched supernatural, outside of those two dudes is it what I fear it is?

kys

yup

Side characters have been getting massacred from the start dummy, the whole show has been a downward spiral for the characters

They actually were selfish a couple times in s8 and s10 and that caused the world more trouble. It seems they really are just destined to keep fighting the good fight until they die or are promoted to higher beings due to their roles in keeping the supernatural at bay

And I dont understand when you say you agree that Sam and Dean are just going through the motions but then you say you are surprised they aren't emotionless husks--which is true. They aren't.

I think Season 13 was being really good but the last episode was over the top and silly, like they're scrambling to find ideas

I hate Asmodeus dude

No it's not, first 5 seasons are nothing like that, 1st 2 are super X-Files and you will still get alot of X-Files vibes here and there after

>Good MOTWs
>Most cohesive mytharc post-Kripke and fantastic MOTWs
>Fantastic MOTWs. Mytharc is decent but could go either way depending on personal tastes
how old are you?

it's been complete shit since season 7, mate.

>The show has always been about the brothers. They've lost so many supporting character even in the earlier seasons.

Sure, but if we made the show just them standing in a blank room for a hour a week, it might lose a few viewers. The world still needs to turn around them, and the hemorrhaging of supporting cast members after Season 5 never slowed, and they were never replaced. It was fine while they still had Bobby, but having him die, and still continuing to kill basically everyone around them felt like too much to me. It's personal preference, but it's how I feel.

>If you really miss Bobby, we see the guy through flashbacks

It's less I miss him, even though I do, and more what he offered as a character. He was both family, a familiar face that made it feel like there was a wider world than where the brothers are at any given time, and was a tie to the wider hunter community.

>Sam and Dean ageing visibly is not something I will deny. However, I do not consider this a bad thing.

Me neither, I like it too, for all the same reasons.

X-Files may be nothing like Buffy but that doesn't mean Supernatural didn't draw inspiration from both.

I don't exactly understand what you mean by
>quip le magic characters that keep recurring
This genre deals with supernatural crap. There's bound to be resurrection and magical characters at some point, if not as main characters

>8 having anything decent

The mytharc was trash, and 11s shat the bed towards the end and was kinda dumb from the get-go, cohesive =/= good

S13 has been good except for MOTWs so far

I like Asmodeus

I'm 26. Like that changes anything. Don't even argue with me about how bad the show has become if you haven't at least seen any complete season past 7 and at least another season past 10

Again, I used to harbor your sentiments because I dropped this show by s9. I'm not blind nor covering its weak spots but the lattet seasons are actually upswings and return to form.

He means shitty whedon quips which aren't really in spn thank fuck

Is their universe large and interesting enough that entire secondary recurring characters get entire episodes and recurring story arcs? Because I hate that shit

also constant plot twists to justify cast and character gymnastics because magic can get away with it

I MEANT DON'T GET ENTIRE EPISODES

ugh

i've watched every episode/season and every fucking comicon interview since the show began you faggot, i even follow the pricks on twitter. i know the show inside out, and i know it's been fucking shit since season 7.

the fact that you actually enjoyed those terrible seasons after 7 shows your level of stupidity.

it's faggots like you who ruined the show.

>hemorrhaging of supporting cast members after season 5 never slowed
Let me stop you right there
>Kevin Tran
7-9 and 13
>Garth
7-9
>Camel Bradbury
7-10
>Jodie Mills
4-13
>Claire Novak
4-13
>Krissy Chambers
7-9
>Rowena MacLeod
10-13
>Donna Hanscum
9-13
>Death
5-10
>Castiel, Bobby, Crowley
All come back one way or another up until the current season. Hell even small recurring characters like Missouri were a thing.

I won't say they are all good replacements, I'm just saying there are some new guys introduced that they keep around

I literally said 8's mytharc was stupid. No need to argue against me about that. Abaddon in her earliest appearances was cool. Thules/Nazi episode was good. Angels falling was aesthetically pleasing. Leviathans being able to fly and act like Terminators in Purgatory was cool. It had better MOTWs than mytharc episodes.

11 wasn't dumb at all from the start. I'll agree the finale was flat but the build up was at least very interesting. Cohesive in this series is a good thing. S8-9 was a clusterfuck because of too many subplots going on. S6 started shaky because of the same reason but was salvaged by its second half due to the subplots coming together and tying up with one another. S7's sole edge over 8 was because its mytharc was focused and had a clear goal. 11 not only had cohesion, it was also something that finally gave the show a clear direction in story telling and one that doesn't focus on rehashed plotlines.

>They actually were selfish a couple times in s8 and s10 and that caused the world more trouble.
Good for them. They deserve a bit of selfishness with all that they've lost.

>And I dont understand when you say you agree that Sam and Dean are just going through the motions but then you say you are surprised they aren't emotionless husks--which is true.
I can't comment from a story perspective, necessarily, because I haven't seen past S6, but hopefully what I'm about to write makes sense because my sleeping medication is kicking in:

Hunting was a job for them. A family business. Dean was into it moreso than Sam, but you can argue that both of them hunted because it was something they enjoyed and felt they had to, re: their family history. These people are hunting because they choose to do it. Now, however, after everything's that happened, with Jo, Bobby, the brothers multiple deaths, their father, with God basically saying fuck you, you're the key to the apocalypse and whatever else happened that I'm probably misremembering because it's been a long time since I've watched -- it's not about enjoyment anymore, the family business, it's not about wanting. They are told that they are in this mess and there is no way out, so of course, they're going through the motions. It's surprising that they're not emotionless husks at this point because of their lack of freedom and choice through the piles of death and destruction and loss they've suffered.

6 was supposed to be a big dark mystery,nothing was supposed to be clear until later

Both Buffy and Supernatural excel in expansive lore (there are retcons of course) and their secondary characters do get their own arcs. Buffy even spawned a very successful spinoff that further developed other characters and the lore/world-building. I'm hoping the same happens to Supernatural's intended spin-off, which focuses on a different group of hunters

Not exactly whedon-tier quips but Dean is as snarky as Buffy and/or Spike. Showrunner and producer Robert Singer even said Spike was his favorite character in an interview

>watched every episode/season
Cool
>every fucking comicon interview
Pft okay
>i even follow the pricks on twitter
That makes two of us
>it's been fucking shit since season 7
anybody who seriously thinks 10, 11 or 12 is so much worse than 7 must have brain damage. Look I won't deny they had shitty retcons like "reapers are angels" and some shit like that but overall, the latter seasons are so much stronger than 7. And I happen to be one of the few who like 7. Mark of Cain as metaphor for Dean's addiction and self destruction was better than 7's attempt. MOTWs that involve Thules and the subplot on the Styne family are great additions to the world building.

The only faggots who ruin this show are shipping cancer.

reminder if anyone wants to help or be a host with a podcast that isn't tumblrfaggotry to hit me up here mobile.twitter.com/IronFistPodcast

tbf X-Files had secondary character arcs and a spinoff with them too

You lying faggot. Sup Forums has always maintained the first 5 seasons are kino.

the first 2 seasons with Cass were ok but now he's just a faggot character. he serves no purpose. his "semi-human/autistic" act is boring now. the angels are boring. the demons are "Charmed" level retarded. mary is unwatchable. lucifer is unwatchable. jack can't act. none of the side-characters can act.

the only reason i still watch it is because bobby and jody desu. bobby's dead, and jody gets 1 episode per season.

just end it now.

Actually, hunting was never really something they liked. They didn't "choose" to do it. If there's one thing about hunting the early seasons emphasized--it's that people are dragged or forced into it because of a misfortune. Hunters who "want" to hunt are rare and did not get explored until Eliott Ness in S7's Time After Time

Dean seems to "choose" it more than Sam because he was trained to be so. However, in the latter seasons, this is where Sam and Dean start to realize that this is the life they know and this is the life they'd rather keep.

So really as I understand your gripe, you have it backwards and the approach to hunting you prefer Sam and Dean to have happens and gets explored more in the newer seasons

Im not saying X-files didnt. Im just starting to watch that show. But the user said he hasnt seen Supernatural and he thinks it cant draw from both XF and Buffy so my explanation is more Buffy-SPN inclined

Saying you watched every comicon interview automatically makes you sound like a bigger faggot

Just watch Grimm desu. It's a procedural for the first season and then gets pretty interesting.

Exactly. Hunters don't choose to hunt, they're dragged into it -- but they can choose to stop hunting if they wanted to. Dean and Sam no longer have this freedom of choice to decide that one day, yeah, maybe they do want to quit. Which was my issue.

Dean and Sam have done a lot for the world. They're still doing a lot for the world, but now it's out of obligation rather than choice. They have responsibilities both self-imposed and imposed onto them.

Well now that's just a straight up lie. I like Grimm so far but to say it rivals any show mentioned here so far in terms of upping its ante is a bit delusional.

>So far
Keep watching

Yeah but what I'm trying to tell you is that in the latter seasons, they actually bring back the "Saving people, hunting things" motto quite a lot and they took it upon themselves by their own choice to save people. Hell they actually even stopped to consider using an exorcism instead of the knife against the demon until they established the vessel was long dead.

Dean doesn't want to quit. Sam at one point wants a relationship with someone who knows the life. So yeah, they actually seem to want to keep doing the life and even accept the compromise to keep it.

The first seasons of Buffy, Angel and Supernatural may not be their best entries but even at that early stage, the demons/monsters they face already provide implications and parallels to the main characters' lives/development. Grimm shows wesen as the perpetrators but usually fails to provide a deeper meaning to it. What is its relevance to Nick? To Nick as a cop? As a grimm? Why was it important that a specific wesen did the crime? Could it have been done by another wesen? Was it just coincidence or is there some symbolic significance about it? It's very weak in these aspects that Buffy/SPN does so much better

>the first seasons of supernatural aren't it's best entry

Bumping this for a signal boost

I meant the literal first season of those three shows, connor. Not the "first few seasons" of Supernatural

Join the podcast, anons

I haven't seen the latter seasons, but I'll play devil's advocate for a second and ask: isn't it easier to accept something in your life when you know you have no choice in changing it? Sam and Dean are ultimately called up for everything by higher powers who really, really need to get their shit together. Even if either one of them finally got out and quit hunting, they'd just be sucked back in again.

That's why the fact that Dean and Sam have accepted this life is the one they lead on their terms is iffy to me. I know Dean's always wanted to be a hunter, Sam, not so much, but like I said. Choice. They need the freedom of choice to actually want to continue living this lifestyle.

Like I said, I have no real horse in this race. I'm rambling and very tired. Hopefully what I'm trying to get at is coming out because I definitely am understanding what you're saying. I just didn't think I'd have an honest to God discussion about Supernatural in 2017. M-maybe 2014.

How can the virgin Winchesters even compete?

Look at that numale

This numale will have both Winchester's brothers' asses rawed before the night is over

Why? Because Nick has actual super strength and reflexes

Even when the higher powers don't pull them in, they pull each other in. Sam tried to live a normie life in s8 (it was awful) and didn't bother to help Dean at all but then he got so guilty from his selfishness it became the root of his wrong judgments throughout s10

They're essentially each others Achilles heel. Dean dragged Sam into it, then Sam pulled him back into it, etc. etc. They're both (unhealthily) dependent upon the other.

people say stop after 5 but honestly the demise of the show was the moment they introduced castiel. They should have never gone as far as angels and had him as a recurring character, because then it immediately devolves into ever increasingly powerful baddies etc. Like fucking dragon ball z. The show was fucked from season 4 because the format was irreparably changed. It could have gone on with MOTW format and some side plot just fine and not became what it is now.

Angels were implemented fine, they were super powerful dicks that they could do nothing about which suited the setting perfectly, 4 had some of the best motws in the series as well

And the reason season 5 got a bit dbz was because it was the ultimate threat and the conclusion of the show

>I personally found the steady and almost total destruction of the supporting cast irreparably killed the comfy/atmosphere of the setting
I mean, they've always done that. The problem is the new characters they've been picking up since season 6 have been shit