Providence

Can we talk about this masterpiece of lovecraftian horror for a minute?
I don't understand how the author of something like this could be responsible for the infamous neonomicon

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nMSujTB-SG4
www62.zippyshare.com/v/r7yHHQJH/file.html
www58.zippyshare.com/v/gdWs96V6/file.html
www68.zippyshare.com/v/qRSpnamm/file.html
www30.zippyshare.com/v/tQ6d8QZD/file.html
www53.zippyshare.com/v/AlBRSXCJ/file.html
www18.zippyshare.com/v/dx6Rqysi/file.html
www109.zippyshare.com/v/WgbvJSUn/file.html
www31.zippyshare.com/v/X19KZipG/file.html
www56.zippyshare.com/v/dXrl2COM/file.html
www34.zippyshare.com/v/Iqwpm3bi/file.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Never read it, what;s good about it lad?

Well for one it's Alan Moore attempting what he calls "An ultimate lovecraft fiction"

The horror in it is so subtle yet so intense that at first glance everything appears innocent and normal, but if you really know your lovecraft and you look hard enough you start to piece together whats really going on and holy shit man its like every scene is mortifying

>I don't understand how the author of something like this could be responsible for the infamous neonomicon

Moore has explained it before.
Neonomicon was written when he hadn't read much Lovecraft and thought that Lovecraft was pretty bad at writing.

Providence was written after a lot of research, and in doing research/actually reading his stories Moore actually found out that Lovecraft knew a thing or too.

Its alright if you can get passed all the sexual violence, im not saying it isn't brilliant, but I'm yet to read a single issue without some kind of rape or gay sex scene. I get that there is a reason for it and it goes along with the whole theme of the comic, but holy shit Alan there's just so much

Neonomicon did have a good ending though.

I'm pretty sure there's no fucking way Alan Moore had not read much Lovecraft prior to writing Neonomicon. That just doesn't fit with the depth of referencing in his stuff or how he approaches topics in general.

Shit Providence is much more constructed than Neonomicon, but it's not thematically all that outside it. If you're looking for a parallel for your fishman rape scene, you get it in Providence. Twice over even.

>Its alright if you can get passed all the sexual violence
AlanMoore.txt

To get all tumblr for a minute, I don't see how consensual gay sex is equivalent to rape or sexual violence though m8.

He's pretty much gone on and said that "the more I read Lovecraft the more respect I get for him", in reference to how he approached Providence.

There's also a video from 4 years ago about his original pitch for Providence. Turns out it's another mock of Lovecraft like Neonomicon.

It had a good idea for an ending, honestly the whole "it's just the future" bit was fucking retarded and Providence saves it but re construing it.

The sex in Providence is less about the shock value than it was in Neonomicon, the comic is a metaphor for the secret shit that goes on behind closed doors, "the secret world" as they refer to it in the comic.
Its really "meant for" lovecraft himself, its constructed in a way that if lovecraft were to read it, it would horrify him more than anyone else.

Definitely.

And it also does a great job of making the sex more ritualistic. I know that was one of Moore's stated aims in Neonomicon, about it wanting to infuse sex into the "ancient rites" that Lovecraft hinted at vaguely...but in effect it was just a bunch of gags and was near parody.

The sexual aspects of Providence, especially with the Thing on the Doorstep, the Charles Dexter Ward, and the Dreams in the Witch House issues make it more stark, more blunt, and play it with actual horror.
And a lot of that has to do with Burrow's evolution as an artist, credit where it is due.

This

Lovecraft had an intense fear of two things, people of different cultures and sex.

The main character reflects this by not only being Jewish, but homosexual as well.

that image just makes me think of this youtube.com/watch?v=nMSujTB-SG4

should I buy the hardcover reprinting? I hate when people say "last chance ever" and shit like that

Yeah, Black represents both the classes of people Lovecraft had prejudice toward, but also the people close to him. Like Loveman and his own wife.

You should, but not because it's limited (they said the same about the first one and that had two variant cover reprintings) but because Avatar Press is clearly going bankrupt and they promised an Omnibus. And it needs to survive til then.

Holy shit when the girl switched bodies with Black and raped him, like can you fucking imagine the psychological strain that must have caused him, I mean a 13 year old girl being raped by a full grown man is horrifying enough on its own, but then making him believe that he was the one to do something so horrible, just jesus christ

This fucked me up, I just don't understand why she raped him

yep, the sex scene in neo was hilarious

the sex scene(s) in Providence are profane. Especially the one in the church, that was straight up well researched sex magic 3401.

I don't think you can ignore this is like at least the third time Moore has done mindswap rape in one of his comics though.

A 13 year old (kinda) get's raped in this? Why the hell is Moore so obsessed with rape?

It's a rite.
The old man inhabiting her, Etienne Roulet, was a founder of Stella Sapiente, and through sex was impressing on Robert a piece of himself.
That's what I mean about the difference.
In Neomonicon it's just bullshit orgies and Moore says that he's infusing sex into Lovecraft.

In Providence it's actual sex black magic shit.

That scene was really horrifying, especially since they're ignorant of, and being taken advantage of, the orgone in the room

Well, the story it's based on - The Thing on the Doorstep - is all about rape.

The idea in Providence is completely the same. It's the cultists are the ones who regard it as bullshit orgies but for the MC it is basically a less subtle form of what happens multiple times in Providence.

>That scene was really horrifying, especially since they're ignorant of, and being taken advantage of, the orgone in the room

I had no idea that was what was happening, that's fucking brutal

I see, i'll check it out

Exactly, which is why I usually say that Providence saves Neonomicon.

Neonomicon as a solitary object is infinitely more horrible without Providence. Because Moore's statements on Neonomicon are 100% bullshit without Providence to back them up.

My personal favorite was the subtle references to dreams in the witch house in #5
If you look closely at the house, the geometry makes zero sense

Might check it out if it's free online now, got a link?

>Avatar Press is clearly going bankrupt
So much for an UberCrossed comic.

Burrows has made astounding efforts at designing the look and characters of Lovecraft's canon.
Perhaps one of the best depictions of the Innsmouth Look without going too far and making it ridiculous.

Garth Ennis's last Crossed mini was supposed to have been solicited 2-3 years ago.

If Crossed is dead, then Avatar is definitely not in good straights.

Providence 01 (of 12) (2015) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
www75.zippyshare.com/v/7g9KmX4q/file.html

Providence 02 (of 12) (2015) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
www62.zippyshare.com/v/r7yHHQJH/file.html

Providence 03 (of 12) (2015) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
www58.zippyshare.com/v/gdWs96V6/file.html

Providence 04 (of 12) (2015) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
www68.zippyshare.com/v/qRSpnamm/file.html

Providence 05 (of 12) (2015) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
www30.zippyshare.com/v/tQ6d8QZD/file.html

Providence 06 (of 12) (2015) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
www53.zippyshare.com/v/AlBRSXCJ/file.html

Providence 07 (of 12) (2016) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
www18.zippyshare.com/v/dx6Rqysi/file.html

Providence 08 (of 12) (2016) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
www109.zippyshare.com/v/WgbvJSUn/file.html

Providence 09 (of 12) (2016) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
www31.zippyshare.com/v/X19KZipG/file.html

Providence 10 (of 12) (2016) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
www56.zippyshare.com/v/dXrl2COM/file.html

Providence 11 (of 12) (2016) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
www34.zippyshare.com/v/Iqwpm3bi/file.html

>Robert Black
>Being gay and raped in the body of an underage girl by an ancient french evil wizard in his own body.
really make you think.

>consensual

Consensual any kind of sex can't be equated to rape - sexual violence is one of those weird things that people talk about being triggered. Well, I don't like to go down on someone, but I certainly like someone going down on me - but it doesn't give me trauma or cause anxiety. In some respects, some folks are being way too sensitive, and I'm not just talking women here, but anything consensual is neither rape, nor does it represent actual sexual violence (e.g. something Person A is performing ON or AGAINST Person B in a manner that can be viewed by Person(s) X, Y and/or Z as yadda yadda yadda; if Person B consents, is able to give consent, then X, Y and Z should just fuck off).

I hope Alan Moore doesn't imply Lovecraft was actually gay, because the awkward photos when he was young were not his fault, he was married to a woman and not even aware that some of his friends were gays.

A woman who went on record as saying he was a pretty good lay.
And there's evidence enough to argue that Lovecraft really did love his wife.

Moore hasn't implied that Lovecraft is gay, but Sonia only shows up in two panels of Providence overall, which is a shame. I hated how he implied in Neonomicon that Lovecraft was asexual.

Well again, back then he didn't know jack shit about lovecraft.

Yeah, and if one is jonesing for Sonia and Howard romance...Giffen already did it in his OGN.

know this is kinda fucked up to say, but as a gay person that would of been the hottest thing that would of ever happened to me in entire life

kek

We called such places bath houses in the olden times

I got caught up and still don't get it at all.

All of Lovecraft's stories were based on true events, except they're only true because he wrote them and spread the ideas of them to others. The more people read about them and give a shit, the realer they become, until they were able to reach back in time and exist in actuality. Robert Black had to see/experience them all to inspire Lovecraft to write to get people to read to get them to care to make them real so they could show themselves to Black so Lovecraft could write about them to get people to read to get them to care to make them real so they could show themselves to Black so Lovecraft could write about them to get people to read to get them to care to make them real so they could show themselves to Black so Lovecraft could write about them to get people to read to get them to...

Ah, okay, that's weird but understandable. Thanks!

Isn't that basically the plot to John Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness?

Moore stated that he only wrote Neomomicon (quickly at that) because needed money to pay back-taxes. Avatar was willing to buy and Moore (like when he wrote for Image in the mid-nineties) wrote something that he thought the "typical Avatar Press reader" would be interested in. Plus everything that the other posters wrote about Moore not being too knowledgeable about Lovecraft's works at the time.

Hey, to each their own.

Although, technically, you couldn't experience that exact same thing because it would be consensual.

I dunno about that, both for the reasons & goes into, and also considering the fairly heavy amount of Mythos references throughout League of Extraordinary Gentlemen way before he wrote anything for Neonomicon proper(not to mention The Courtyard in comic form came out in 2003 and in it's original short story version came out all the way back in 1994)

not 100% exactly but they do work from similar concepts

>I had no idea that was what was happening, that's fucking brutal
That's overall a pretty good summary of reading Providence for the second time.

I have no doubt that he read Lovecraft, but I think that he was really doing mostly superficial readings.

Nothing he did before Providence actually shows any working knowledge of what made Lovecraft's fiction. Moore in that interview implies that he didn't really get that Lovecraft was using modernist techniques until Providence.

I wonder what prompted him to work so much harder at it. Before describing his original pitch he jokingly says he did it for the money too.

Would you consider reading any Lovecraft stories essential before reading Providence?

Pretty much every story that is referenced, because #11 runs through them all again and it's good to know what actually happened and why.

I made up a list in a previous thread, if you'd like.

I got a trade of part one, a really sick hardcover one, I hope there's more of those. I read it was a really limited release in North America already.

The 2nd Arc's hardcover was solicited a few weeks ago.
Should be out in June.

Groovy.

Is it necessary to read neonomicon for me to enjoy providence?

Not really.
Providence's main arc actually "ends" in issue 10.

11 and 12 will capstone Moore's whole Lovecraft saga, and for those you do.

there's nothing wrong with neonomicon appart from Moore missing HPL's tone

I'd agree for the most part.
It'd work as your usual Avatar Press sexual gag comic.

It's not just the tone but the usage of references that tie so much into the plot (and they drop so many) that is awfully done. So, yeah, honestly if they took out the Lovecraft from Neonomicon it'd be better.

Oh thank God they're snakes, for a second there, I thought they might be dicks

Fuuuck my copy gets here friday. I can't wait desu senpai.

What Lovecraft should I read before this?

Cool Air
The Horror at Red Hook
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.
The Dreams in the Witch House
The Thing on the Doorstep
The Shadow over Innsmouth
The Rats in the Walls
The Terrible Old Man
The Dunwich Horror
Herbert West, Reanimator
The Colour out of Space
Pickman's Model
The Statement of Randolph Carter
The Unnameable
The Dream Quest of the Unknown Kadath
The Silver Key
Beyond the Silver Key
From Beyond
The Haunter of the Dark
The History of the Necronomicon
Dagon
Nyarlathotep
The Outsider
At the Mountains of Madness
The Cats of Ulthar
The Shadow Out of Time
The Doom That Came To Sarnath
Sweet Ermengarde
and of course,
The Call of Cthulhu

Crikey..

Thanks lad

what's so bad about neonomicon? not muh lovecraft?

They're mostly short stories, I think At the Mountains of Madness is the longest one and it's about 150 pages.

It's not effective at horror, the plot and resolution is largely nonsensical, and the dialogue is full of trite references than anything showing character or much else substantial.