ITT: Kinos that unironically got you thinking

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G8U21reHexg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=G8U21reHexg
it got me thinking op is a retard

It got me thinking about how much I hated it.

seriously? and here I thought the plot was shallow AF

Does it have to be "le deep" to be good?

Arrival is part of a recent series of movies I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger Sci-Fi. Along with Interstellar and to a somewhat lesser extent The Martian, they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people." They are movies designed to make the audience feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the viewer's hand the entire way through until there is next to nothing to be left up to interpretation.

If you didn't already know the twist in Arrival by the time she was in the milky section of the ship with the aliens AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the audience I am talking about.

There is no reward for being smart while viewing these movies because everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge magnet letters. Any clever idea is made so transparent that even the most simple in the audience will get it. It also removes any reward for rewatching or trying to figure out what you just saw.

Granted, there is a difference between Arrival and Interstellar. I think where Interstellar was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, Arrival has a brain that it is refusing to let the audience use.

Completely disappointing movie.

Also
>so that just happened

This movie could have been a lot better. Once you know he twist, it's just about slogging through the rest of the movie.

it's fine
My reaction was "that's it?"
I expected something more interesting and also not so deus exy.

This pasta is part of a recent series of pastas I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger pastas. Along with the BR2049 pasta and to a somewhat lesser extent the Villeneuve pasta, they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people." They are pastas designed to make the brainlets feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the brainlet's hand the entire way through until there is next to no buzzwords left to use.

If you didn't already know the empty point of this pasta by the time it starts the second section AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the brainlets I am talking about.

There is no reward for being smart while reading these pastas because everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge meaningless buzzwords. Any clever bait is made so transparent that even the most reddit in the thread will get it. It also removes any reward for rereading or trying to figure out what you just read.

Granted, there is a difference between this pasta and the Villeneuve pasta. I think where Villeneuve pasta was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, this pasta has a brain that it is refusing to let the autist use.

Completely disappointing pasta.

Also
>so that just happened

Would Amy Adam's character be able to change the future or her path? I've always wondered that. Like if she wanted would she be able to choose rather or not to have her daughter? How would that work? If time showed her that she had the daughter already. I'm confused.

No, it's a deterministic universe. It's not like she views a youtube video of her future and then continues on with her life, she's experiencing all these moments at the same "time", that's why it is non linear.

So the lesson here is that storytelling has to be as opaque and elusive as possible, right?

she can't. that's the point of it all. Everything is already set in stone

this is the only movie to /ever/ get me thinking

Arrival was globalist propaganda

No, if she chooses another path, the stone changes with it.

She can't change anything user, just like the aliens can't.

this.
they gave her their abilities to perceive time in a non-linear way just to be able to see the future so that they can help them 3000 years later

There's a difference about not be able to change it and not wanting to change it.
She knows her daughter is dying eventually and that they both will suffer for it, but that doesn't stop her from having her just to enjoy the happiness of raising the kid till her death.
Wasn't this a point in the movie? Not wanting to change anything because she was content with her whole life?

Yes, the point is embracing death as an essential part of life and appreciating every waking moment of your life, but doesn't change the fact that she couldn't change the outcome, only accept it.

99% of films filmed before the 1940s is just filmed stage plays. Yes they were important for cinema to evolve, but really most of it doesn't use the visual medium at all.

wrong thread, fuck

lmao

It made me think about that retarded fucking asspull at the end and how some hack probably got paid a few million dollars for a script that should have been sent right to the garbage bin

Ok.

She could have changed the outcome. She could have chosen not to have the kid.

No she couldn't. Like I said, by experiencing time non linearly she is experiencing every moment at the same "time", it's not like she views the future like a youtube video and then continues on with her life, all her decisions and actions are interconnected. It's a deterministic universe.

Here's an excerpt from an interview with Villeneuve to maybe clear things up for you:
>"The idea is that the heptapods see life like a [scripted] play. They know what will happen, so they have the choice — either they do it bored to death, or they embrace it and try to be at their best, like an actor on a stage."

Goddamn at least the movie was more entertaining than this guy's voice

But I thought the whole reason she ended up divorcing her husband was because she knew all along what would happen, but never told him. She could have told him, and they could have never gotten together in the first place. She wasn't always perceiving time in a nonlinear fashion, she just tapped into it when she thought in that language.

it really wasn't

fuck off retard, nobody likes your videos

Like I said in other threads, literally no one ever said a single positive thing about any of your reviews no matter what thread, rethink your life uridon

>Why are they here?

There he is. There he goes again.

>Just to suffer?

She couldn't not have told him, it's already decided, whether she knows it or not. For the rest of humanity it's also deterministic, only that they don't know and live under the illusion of choice

lyl

the book is pretty decent and a few other stories could be made into movies as well

your kino cover is a literal turd

Just finished it. It was ok . Another movies like this and interstellar?