Stand Up Thread

Hey let's have a stand up thread. Gotta start with some George Carlin, of course.

youtube.com/watch?v=IaMy7uoiUCM

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ubofFVMM54o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

stand up is dead for the time being

Nah come on, there's always SOMEONE up and comin.

It's not that, it's that our cultural climate is getting to the point where we are going to need another Lenny Bruce soon

someone who constantly bitches about being harassed by the police?

comedy is dead, internet killed it

why did the police harass him

Because they kept tryin to get him on obscenity charges when he performed. They'd come in, tell people the show's over, they'd file out and then try to card everyone, because if anyone was underage, then they could really nail him. It's a shame how he kinda fizzled out.

Can you explain this? Delivery in comedy I think is starting to change. Not dramatically, but I sorta sense it. Like comedians talk to their audience more, they respond and comment on vibes they get and incorporate that into their performance rather than just getting through all their bits. Just like people got sick of one-liner comedians or everything we see as old-fashioned from like vaudeville to the early 60s, I think now we're starting to see the 70s-00s stuff as getting stale. Where comedians do say some raunchy stuff about religion, or their genitals, or sex, or something self-deprecating, that kinda thing. So the question is where to next? Obviously, delivery is still an enormous factor. Louis CK has a very natural delivery that fits his embarrassingly-tell all routine, he doesn't try to play it up to make it more dramatic, he just seems to let it roll of his tongue in a nonchalant way, occasionally you'll hear a bubble of laughter in his voice. George Carlin's delivery was almost musical, laser precision, never made any flubs or tripped over his words, by contrast. It was honest and it also had this professional glaze over it.

The comedians that annoy me the most have wishy-washy tones like you're trying to weedle the truth out of them, they sound uncomfortable or nervous. Like reading a page and only seeing six words in front of you so you try and add some inflection but you're missing the mark, you know?

Carlin was trash. His whole shtick was "look how many bad words I can say also fuck god." There weren't even jokes; the humor was meant to be inherent to how crass he was.

I just want another Robin Williams special.

Did you not pay attention at all to how unique his comedic delivery was? And how he pretty much stood in a class all his own in deconstructing language? With rules, time, grievances, corny phrases and sayings, things people say to console others after their loved ones die, etc.

Is there a comedian more underrated than Emo Philips?

Carlin seems very different from modern comics. He's like a monologist.

It was certainly unique in that there wasn't any. He might've had it but it was never showcased because he never had any comedic material to deliver. Just rat shit bat shit dirty old twat.

SOMEBODY POST C U M T O W N
T
A
V
V
Y
B
A
B
Y

>spends 20 minutes telling you that you cant say fuck on tv in 1950

truly a legend

hated Emo when I first heard him, now he's top 10 for me.

I think he's seriously one of the all time greats. I wish he had more material. They should give him a Netflix special or something. He's touring with Weird Al now, so I hope that will bring him some more recognition.

been listening to Red Foxx lately, old as hell but still funny.
youtube.com/watch?v=ubofFVMM54o

also liked him on dr katz

and home movies