Why did they love their job so much when they didn't get paid and had an abusive boss?

Why did they love their job so much when they didn't get paid and had an abusive boss?

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/files/41006/41006-h/41006-h.htm
pitt.edu/~dash/beauty.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because shut up

Because they're all clinically insane or some shit. #GRITTYREALDISNEYOMG

I wish someone saved the Gaston invades Disney with a Message pics.

theyre french

They were basically bred into their roles. Generations of being the help gave them pride in being what they were.

probably because they got to live in a fancy palace and enjoyed the benefits of doing so

you'd struggle to find better job benefits in middle age france

Because France was barely above the feudal system until their Revolution. And because their only chance of becoming normal again is helping their retarded inbred master with the mind of a 12 year old and getting him laid.

>Life is so unnerving, for a servant who's not serving.
>He's not whole without a soul to wait upon
It's their fetish and we must respect it

the wage-cuck mentality is an insidious illness of the mind. it comes like a thief amidst the night to entrech itself steely on the hearts of the barely non-subhuman. a eloquent sign of these times of desperation and uncertain futures. NEET purity is a dream long gone now.

Some people are just born to serve. They find joy in making someone else's life a bit easier. With a master who refused help, spending most of his day brooding, it was difficult for them to cope and find meaning, especially with their cursed predicament. When Belle came along, it gave them an opportunity to once again use their skills as maids, chefs, butlers etc. and to make someone happy again.

Feudalism is a hell of a drug.
Even 16th century Feudalism in France.

Why were they cursed to. It kind of seems unfair that there lives got fucked simply because they worked for the Beast.

Because fucking fair folk. Fairies are cunts with no sense of right and wrong. Do them in with iron shivs and bury them alive in rusty chain mail.

They were cursed by an Enchantress not a fairy.

>Didn't stop the Beast from being a cunt

They had it coming. Enablers are the worst kinds of people.

In the new film, they say it's because They didn't try hard enough to stop the Prince's dad from abusing him until he was an asshole, and so are just as responsible for his behavior.

Which is top tier bullshit. I'm a fucking maid, it's not my job to stop a literal king from parenting how ever he wants

I always saw it this way.
>The Prince was a vain, but still fair and charming master that treated his servants well.
>When he turned into Beast, he went full bitter and began treating his servants like shit.
>They kept serving him not just out of loyalty, but also in the hopes of making their master happy again like he once was.
>Belle comes in and they're filled sith hope cause it's their chance to make their master be his old self again.
>And of course, turn themselves back into humans.

Especially when he can put you to the death for criticizing his parenting skills.

They seem to live in the castle and don't seem to get ordered around much. Hell, Beast didn't seem to give them many orders at all. A few tantrums here and there, but he mostly just sulked around the castle.

Some people just find joy in serving.

>the butler tries to tell the king to stop hitting his kid
>king has butler put to death for treason
>literally nobody can say anything otherwise without fear of being executed because it's medieval france

>wanting to become human again
>not just living forever as a clock

In the new movie, and in the Broadway show I believe, they eventually turn inanimate.

this but (un)/ironic*ally

Wait, what? They now make the Beast's dad at fault for his failings?
That's just plain stupid.

You have to take pride in your work, and make the best of a bad situation.
Gotcha covered, famalama-ding-dong!
This guy gets it.

As far back as Rome, slaves and servants have figured out it's better to have a cozy live-in job working for a spoiled asshole than to try and make ends meet on your own.

Even now some high end jobs are offering places to shower and exercise so wagies can work even longer hours. They're not exactly "perks" considering that even French servants and stewards were not only paid better, they got to say they live in a castle, instead of some shitty eyesore of a corporate tower.

I want to fuck that feather duster

They live in a beautiful sweet ass castle with free room and board and the only thing they need to do is keep one guy relatively satisfied. I would love to have any one of their jobs. They have things for themselves very nearly as good as their master himself does, just with less responsibility and a little more sense of purpose and direction. They're not even slaves. Barring the enchantment, they can probably politely resign anytime they want, likely with glowing references. They probably DO get paid but it's not like there's much they really need to spend money on when the gig already seems to have things made for them. I usually hate to count it as canon, but in the song Human Again, Cogsworth even talks about planning on going on a long vacation or maybe retiring outright, so that option is clearly not out of the realm of possibility. Sure the Beast is kind of a dick and occasionally throws a tantrum where he yells at them for like a minute, but other than that he seems to spend most of his time moping not giving a shit what they do. There are much worse jobs and bosses to have. Again, aside from the whole being cursed thing of course.

They live far better than the people in the village. Getting a job at the castle also means added protection in times of war, extra protection from the elements in the dead of winter, you only have one job and don't need to chop your own firewood or sew your own clothes because there are people to do that while you have just your job.

They live the easiest and most lavish life possible for peasants in their society.

This. I don't care what's up with the new liveaction version, but the animated one leaves some room for interpretation, and it's not hard to guess what their relationship with the Beast was. In the absence of any parental figures, these people are the closest presumably the young prince has to any kind of family or support system. And judging from their behavior at the start of the movie, they've never made any attempt to curb his shitty behavior, which is why he was cursed. We can guess that pre-enchantment they may have acted the same way as they do at the start of the film (or worse), which is to say they cower at the Beast's presence and just give him and tell him whatever he wants. Even in the realm of their relationship of employee vs employer, they're still being pretty lousy people by not standing up to him and failing to attempt to nudge him in a better direction, if not for his sake then for the sake of the entire household they are a part of. Imagine how unlikable it would be if Alfred from Batman was a spineless wimp and allowed Bruce to become a supervillain instead of a hero and never offered him any form of guidance. The enchantress curses the servants to be literal tools and objects belonging to the Beast because that is metaphorically how they act in real life. (She thinks) they deserve to be punished for being enablers.

But then Belle shows up and, at least I think, the servants slowly begin to change as much as the Beast himself does. As the film goes on they start to say 'no' to him more, and tell him he's wrong, and give him honest advice to better himself, and stand up to him at least a little bit. They earn their redemption as much as he does.

>that french duster

They're a bunch of cursed people stuck as inanimate objects, what the fuck else were they going to do? Venture out into the world and be sold as curiosities or destroyed as abominations?

Also, Babette is best.

>inanimate

Shit, I meant 'animated'.

They don't have to shit

I can just picture the scene. The disguised enchantress hobbles up to the door and begs for shelter, and the prince tells her to fuck off, and as though that's not humiliating and cruel enough, she looks over his shoulder and sees all those people lined up just standing there silently looking on as though they're part of the woodwork, and they don't say or do shit. Probably not even the humanity of an awkward uncomfortable cough to clue the prince in that he is condemning an old woman to death. He probably ordered one of them to slam the door in her face instead of bothering with it himself, to which they would have speedily complied. People get confused why they would be punished when they're not even mentioned in the opening narrative as having done anything, but that's exactly what their problem was. They didn't DO anything. So of course they become objects.

original tale it was a fairy

and you pretty much have some of the reasons for the revolution. Absolute monarchies are shit

Same difference?

Do you have the rest of these?

Do you see wings? Is she taller than the prince? Do you know what the fuck a fairy is?

Fuckoff

>Do you know what the fuck a fairy is?

Send me your driver's license and I'll have a good idea.

I think YOU need to do a little more reading up on what a fairy is. It is an old as fuck word that has gone through a lot of different reimaginings and evolutions based on passing through various different time periods and cultures. In a medieval or 18th century france version, it can very easily apply to "magical creature shaped like a full grown regular sized woman" instead of the little winged people in the tinkerbelle movies that started getting popular in the Victorian era. Even in Disney you've got other examples like Maleficent, Flora, Fauna, Merryweather, and Cinderella's Fairy Godmother to turn to as evidence. I recommend looking up some Thomas Keightley, though his stuff is a bit dated.

>Former diminutive winged person
>three current diminutive persons
>and someone portrayed as godmother

So you know fuckall about it and are talking out of your ass. Good Job

Uhh user you just named a few characters that perfectly fall under the little magical winged lady description in your attempt to say they are not little magical winged ladies.

just a heads up

>>Former diminutive winged person
What? Evidence for this? And don't you dare point to that liveaction bullshit.

>>three current diminutive persons
Human size is clearly their default.Shrinking is an ability they possess. They can come with or without the wings, it is an admitted trait in their version that is sometimes present. Not gonna deny that.

>>and someone portrayed as godmother
Yeah, a normal, wingless human sized woman holding a wand, just like . You're not even trying to dismiss this one.

I can start pulling out more examples if you like, pic related, but I think you're just being stubborn.

And to be straight with you, I totally recognize and love the Tinkerbelle style interpretation of the word, it's just not the ONLY applicable version.

you are confusing demons for fairies...somehow

and witches for fairies

Like I said, go read a book
gutenberg.org/files/41006/41006-h/41006-h.htm

Hell, go read the description in Beauty and the Beast.
pitt.edu/~dash/beauty.html

m8 just fucking read Hellboy if you want to see examples of folklore fairies

To make matters worse, wasn't the Beast/Prince like *seven* or something at the time he was cursed? The servants didn't age while being stuck in their forms, and he had artwork of himself but I keep remembering this from somewhere that he wasn't a half-grown teenager or some shit when this all went down.

I mean, admittedly when I was 7, I'd *probably* be a little scared of the enchantress for being a stranger (and/or possibly Skeletor in disguise trying to sneak into my castle) and kids can be awful little shits, but within this user's context, having some snotty brat who is probably unable to dress himself be the one shoving the door in her face while his caretakers do *nothing* to correct him would piss anybody off, magic or no magic.

No, not seven. People speculate he was eleven. Which is a significant difference in development where he could be held more accountable for his actions, yet also the adults around him still look like shit also for supporting it.

Although- the conclusion that he's eleven at the time of enchantment comes from attentive viewers putting together the math from a line in a song saying they've been enchanted ten years, and another line in a different part of the movie saying that the Beast is very close to his twenty first birthday. Personally, I've always thought that these two things just form an oversight placing him at eleven, and the filmmakers intended for the enchantment to start when he was a somewhat older teen, then just shrugged their shoulders when audiences pointed out the math and accepted it.

I genuinely thought this thread was about the Disney animation studio for a second...

had a good kek, thanks user