Why did Marvel/Netflix cheap out with Iron Fist?

>Shou-Lao is literally reduced to two cheaply animated glowing red eyes moving quickly towards Danny and nothing else

This should have been the Marvel show with the biggest budget but I guess Ike did want to do that.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WRoIZk9sQMA
youtube.com/watch?v=fLMt1yBsWhg
youtube.com/watch?v=P_mMgSUriHg
youtube.com/watch?v=RghYrGUJjWk
hollywoodreporter.com/news/marvel-shake-up-film-chief-819205
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_Studios#Currently_produced
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Television#Production_library
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So they can cheap out even harder later when they reveal that it's not actually a dragon but a [insert twist here]

Probably because everything on Netflix has to not be like the movies. The shows push hard to keep everything as close to street level as possible.

That decision is definitely not in their favour sometimes.

>with the biggest budget
Every show got an equal sized budget. Yeah, this one should probably have had a bigger one but thems the breaks.

Money.

The show feels like it's characters telling me about a better show I wasn't allowed to see.
>"Magic heaven city, the legend of the iron fist, training in Kung fu with magic monks, a fucking dragon! Oh man, wish you could have seen it. Now let's get back to corporate drama and ninjas"

The main issues is that that hired the showrunner from Dexter.
He fucking sucks and there's an embarrassing lack of creativity in trying to work around their budgetary constraints.

If this is true then how come daredevil had more and much better fights?

They spent too much money on that Black musical

This! They spend so much having Danny and Davos and Gao telling us about how magnificent K'un L'un is.
I get that there's budget restraints but when you have a story that includes incredible mystical cities and fucking dragons, you shouldn't sacrifice those elements to fit the budget. I'd rather they didn't bother than half-ass it. Shit, make a movie instead.

They should have taken about half of JJ's budget and given it to IF.

>This should have been the Marvel show with the biggest budget
why would they give any show more budget than defenders?

Because Daredevil had a different crew you idiot. The same crew doesn't work on all 4 shows.

The Netflix people literally used the words 'grounded' and 'realism' when describing the show. They had no intentions of ever going mystical with it because they think comic books are stupid.

How many years/decades will we have to wait for Iron Fist to be readapted with no realtion to Netflix? Will the property ever be touched again? Maybe a true Heroes for Hire movie?

Never. They'll make Danny Asian to appease sjw's if they do.

>Magic heaven city, the legend of the iron fist, training in Kung fu with magic monks, a fucking dragon!
all cliche shit

If that is the only way to get a competent martial artist in the role I accept it if they bleach his hair blonde. The Drunken master guy was the only entertaining fighter in the entirety of that show and he probably should have been cast as Davos at the very least.

According to Davos, MCU Shou-Lao isn't even an actual dragon. It's some kind of "infinite" being that lives in a cave.

"Grounded" and 'Realism' are two words that kill any kind of Kung Fu and Magic oriented shit.

Game of Thrones got away with it in the TV series, but they got away because they focused on the setting, clothing, ect.

Everything is a cliche.

>infinite being

Ah, so he will stay in the dark if we see him again. Brava Marvel.

Not only is it not cliche, even if it was. we've yet to see it in a live action superhero adaptation.

You really thought ripping off Daredevil's style again worked for this piece of shit?

They also actually have dragons though, and white walkers, and other supernatural/fantasy elements.

>white guy lead that has to follow up from Daredevil and Punisher

Thanks Ike.

There's nothing grounded or realistic about GoT.

It could've been worse. This is what passes for a Hulk vs Hulkbuster fight in the Netflix MCU:

youtube.com/watch?v=WRoIZk9sQMA

>Dexter
Heh, I just realized that season 5 of Dexter much like Jessica Jones was also about rape and revenge, mind-controlling villain (though more in a "extremely good at manipulating people" way than outright superpowers) and PTSD.

Don't remember if it was done by Buck or not, though.

>Danny in grey and no tat
>Luke's clothes barely damaged at all

It's like they've never read a single Power Man and Iron Fist book in their life!

Oh and "le grimdark hero who doesn't wear a costume and spends exponentially more time talking and brooding than being a Superhero" isn't a much, much worse one at this point? Fuck off. is that way

Fucking ninjas. The moment I heard Danny say he was the sworn enemy of the Hand I nearly fucking stopped watching right there. Why tie in K'un Lun with that shit? What's the fucking point? There's already a mysterious group that opposes the Hand, and a different fucking show that deals with them.

>grey
that's blue. you're colorblind

Remember NBC pilot of a show named "The Warrior"?
It was a better Iron Fist show than what we got and it wasn't even all that good.

>that fucking grenade effect
Am I back in 2000 and watching Smallville?

Comic books are stupid tho

>Negro please
Okay. That happened.
Has any black person ever said "nigger please" in real life? I thought it's internet-only term

>in real life?
Close enough
youtube.com/watch?v=fLMt1yBsWhg

I'm black and it's either nigga or negro. All about context.

Nigger please doesn't make much sense..? If that makes any sense? I can't articulate or make much sense of the point I'm trying to make but... negro please is often used, at least in my family, when someone's really fucked up or if it's in regards to some fool you don't know on a personal level.

Nigga please is used almost more affectionately, sort of like a friendly jab at someone. It's 3am and I should be asleep; another blackanon can probably explain better than I can

Would it have been possible to hire Nolan's brother instead of Buck or is he too expensive?

He (technically) did a better superhero show than most actual superhero shows (not that it's hard since they mostly suck but still)
youtube.com/watch?v=P_mMgSUriHg

There's a show called Into the Badlands that has much better action.

Into the Badlands has amazing choreography and some stunning direction (dat camera sway during Quinn Vs Widow fight).

They should have made Moonknight instead.

Perlmutter probably went full jew on their asses with the budget.

Making Iron Fist a TV show is the first place seemed dumb to me anyway. Unless you have a GoT size budget, don't even bother.

Danny: K'un Lun!
Davos: K'un Lun!
Colleen: K'un Lun!
Madame Gao: It's only a model.
Danny: Shhh!

You know how the MCU won't touch on Richard/Nova because "DICK RIDER"?

The idea here is roughly a similar field of thinking in that Iron Fist is entirely watered down because it can't be allowed to overshadow the Defenders. It's literally as simple ss that.

In the comics, Danny is powerful enough to knock a helicarrier out of the sky in a single punch. Here, they just stretched out Danny's origin with Harold Meachum across 13 episodes.

The bottom line is that Danny can't really be so powerful that Stark would come knocking with an avengers recruitment form. If he's just too strong, he'd be conflict-breaking and in Iron Fist, they depicted him as naive and too trusting of the people he knew, expecting him to accept them with open arms. (to be fair, people in the real world treated him much fairer as a child than the people of Kuns Lun did, so his whole personality is based off of that reality.) He is also inexperienced in using the Iron Fist powerset and has to learn...which unlike other characters in the Netflix shows, proves him to be the only character who can evolve/level up his powers and gain new abilities/adapt new techniques.

They didn't cheap out there, they just opted to fuck with danny's introduction by dipping it in a bit of moon knight's at the beginning to justify why he's not already in full-on Gabriel Yulaw mode.

Now thanks to the backlash iron fist got, Moon Knight's chances of coming to fruition have been thoroughly assassinated on account of legion happening to pre-empt it. Now liberalcunts/sjw's will predictably call such an effort "visually similar to KKK" or some shit.

Good job, Anons. you fucking blew it.

youtube.com/watch?v=RghYrGUJjWk

They just need to cast Rami Malek as Marc and then it will be critic/SJW proof.

Or just really emphasize the jewish aspect of Marc and cast someone who's a SJW darling/has a strong jewish identity.

You must have forgotten that even Idris Elba got backlash as Heimdall and Johnny Depp got backlash as Tanto.

The only way moon knight won't get backlash under alternate casting is if it was a woman. and to be a dick about it, Perlmutter should hire Anita Sarkeesian. The very nature of Moon Knight's wardrobe is three or four levels higher of "problematic" whining than asian mysticism or "cultural appropriation" and the fact that we got Legion first will make moon knight wholly limited in 'originality' in the pop culture consciousness.

You're assuming that Netflix would even give him the classic look in the show. In case you didn't notice, they have a real aversion to superhero costumes on Netflix.

Best case scenario they give him the Mr. Knight costume from the Ellis run. Even then, they'll probably skip the face mask and have him wear a white suit only.

Blame the Dexter guy.
Had they put someone intelligent and competent enough to make a good product, all the "muh cultural appropriation" points in the reviews would've been the laughingstock.
Now the reviews are right that the show is actually bad and assholes can pat themselves on the back because they are actually right, even if some of the reasons they mentioned have nothing to do with quality.

P.S. Putting someone with such "amazing" credentials as a showrunner in charge does show how little faith Marvel had in this project, so it was doomed from the start.

> Now liberalcunts/sjw's will predictably call such an effort "visually similar to KKK" or some shit.
You forget something, Moon Knight is maybe white and rich but also jewish.
So you could just call people who dislike him nazi.
And two of his main supporting character are a gay french guy and a black woman. So you could also add homophobia and racism.

How about the fact that they also gave Inhumans to him?

The only way you can explain this is Ike really liking the guy for some reason. With Inhumans being his pet project (and having every reason for wanting it to be good and successful just to spite Feige), I really have the impression that someone really high up actually thinks Scott Buck is good.

>they gave him Inhumans
My inner X-fag grins like a child in a candy shop.

I'm kinda disappointed to be honest, I'm an Xfag and I also like the classic Inhumans.

With Marvel generally adapting the classic versions of the characters I was hoping this would be good. Now all my hopes went out the window because of the showrunner.

>the dragon was your inner self all along

Why does the show with the most reason to be martial arts heavy have the worst fights?

It's floaty shit with no impact. In all the other shows, you can FEEL those hits. These are slap-fights in comparison.

i wanted wirefu. instead i got nolan trilogy elbow slapping

Wow. Am I the only one who liked this show?

Yes. Iron fist turned out to be "I'm crying and my powers are on the fritz" for 12.5 hours. I bet you love SU

Could have been a lot worse. They could have just made him a guy with a dragon tattoo. This is not even bad.

Game of Thrones is the most commercially successful TV series ever. Of course they can pay for some fucking dragons by now.

This. Into the Badlands fully embraces the over the top kung fu and mysticism stuff.

What's the point of having a show based on comics if you think they're retarded

The problem is all the shows are going for the same tone. They've learned nothing from the cinematic universe and all just keep trying to be Daredevil over and over again. Iron Fist was just the most distinct one because it had the greatest potential to deviate in the way it could have been shot and the turns the story could take and they didn't. It is an absolute waste of martial art talent and choreography to shoot it in 40 quick cuts and to have it all darkly lit.

That felt like some Naruto shit. Like Rock Lee but with better hair.

Also, does anyone remember how everyone thought the Chinese martial artist casting call indicated that Shang Chi would be a part of the show?

Jesus christ, this lools like a shit videogame. How could one take that fight seriously?

No it doesn't.

Because the world isn't meant to be realistic or gritty.

Its supposed to be like old-school over the top kung fu movies in a world of magic and mysticism.

When everything becomes cliche, nothing will not be.

I was the dragon danny!

Watching footage like this proves there is no excuse for how dull the Iron Fist fights were. If only the critics where complaining about how thus show fails and being fundamentally part of the genre it's rooted in instead of Asian whining

>The only way you can explain this is Ike really liking the guy for some reason.

hollywoodreporter.com/news/marvel-shake-up-film-chief-819205

>The revamp is a blow to New York-based Perlmutter, a low-profile billionaire who has contributed to Marvel's reputation in Hollywood for frugality and secrecy (as THR reported in a 2014 feature, he attended the premiere of Iron Man in a disguise to go undetected and once complained that journalists at a press junket were allowed two sodas instead of one). Jeph Loeb, head of Marvel Television, continues to report to Perlmutter, who will maintain oversight of Marvel's TV group, publishing, animation and other New York-based operations.
>Perlmutter, who will maintain oversight of Marvel's TV group, publishing, animation and other New York-based operations.
>Perlmutter, who will maintain oversight of Marvel's TV group,
>he attended the premiere of Iron Man in a disguise to go undetected and once complained that journalists at a press junket were allowed two sodas instead of one

>why did Marvel/Netflix cheap out with Iron Fist?

Gee, I wonder why a TV show overseen by a guy who complained about journalists getting two sodas instead of one would look cheaped out.

Whats odd is Madame Gao suddenly being part of the Hand.

I still don't understand why they didn't just base the series off the early Iron Fist comics, where he returns to NY to get revenge on Harold and ends up on the run when he's falsely accused of murder. Hell, they could have even justified him being out of costume for most of it that way. You'd still have the "I can't use my finisher move that often" thing, since using the iron fist took a lot out of Danny in the early days.

And since they like Drama: Put Davos back as Joy's bodyguard and make it very clear that he's doing it primarily to get a shot at killing Iron Fist. Play up the contrast between Joy/Ward's hatred of Iron Fist vs. their somewhat warmer relationship with Danny Rand. Then there's also Danny's whole difficulty of not knowing what to do with his life, since he's been fueled by the need for revenge for so long that he never thought beyond it. And you've still got the gritty, realistic, street-level setting the Netflix shows love, too!

Then you could end the series with him being cleared of murder, allowing him to get down to doing real heroics and joining the Defenders.

netlfic used their in house kung fu guy because he had just finished working on their marco polo series

because it was canceled because no one watched it

because it was boring

But most of the critics were complaining about how dull and uninspired the show was. The casting was a point in only several reviews. But I get what your saying.

Funny how Into the Badlands season 2 premiered the same weekend as Iron Fist, and even some critics were making direct comparisons and taking shots at Iron Fist.

>Admittedly, “Iron Fist” isn’t borrowing from the wuxia genre on the level that “Badlands” does, taking a more grounded approach. But even compared to “Daredevil” and other Marvel shows, it was a bland disappointment, frustrating not just in its inability to push beyond the superficial aspects of Danny Rand’s superhero journey due to its pedestrian execution. Meanwhile, “Badlands” is a wilder, richer adventure in every respect, while also engaging with big themes about what it means to be a good person in a terrible world. And it does it with a beautiful and blood-soaked style all its own.

in comics he's a concept too, at least after the whole phoenix thing

Yeah, it's weird, because even if we ignore the comics and go only on what they show in Daredevil, The Hand is a fully Japanese thing. Gao and the Chinese drug mafia seemed to be separate from Nobu's Hand.

I mean, why wasn't Gao involved in all the Hand fuckery with Elektra in season 2? She was shown to be around, but completely separate.

>Ike did want to do that.

It's produced by ABC Studios and Marvel Studios just like the other Marvel Netflix shows, Agent Carter, and Agents of Shield. Marvel Comics doesn't have much to do with it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_Studios#Currently_produced

That dude was the one begging for the Danny role.

He was decent at martial arts, but his acting was fucking terrible.

Marvel Television, not Studios. They're separate divisions now, with Ike in charge of Marvel Television and Feige in charge of Marvel Studios (the movie stuff).

Is this show worth watching? I've been seeing some previews here and there and want to check it out.

Makuta?

Yes. First season is only 6 episodes so its a quick watch. Season 2 just started as well. The writing is a bit all over the place, but if you want a genuienly entertaining genre mashup then Id recommend it.

I personally really like the world they've built and the characters and season 2 is already off to a better start than the first season.

They're saving their money for Defenders (hopefully)

>implying The Defenders will be anything other than a series of dimly lit hallway and alleyway fights featuring The Hand, with a standard corporate and/or criminal bad guy as the main antagonist, and an array of shitty supporting characters

They try to make most of the MCU movies similar to the first Iron Man movie. What's the problem?

Considering his role as a drunk I think it's pretty hard to judge the quality of his acting in a more serious character role. That said he had more charisma then anyone else in the show. I felt entertained by him and what should an actor be if not entertaining.

Dont forget about Warehouses! and Rain!

In July 2012, it was reported that Marvel had again entered into discussions with ABC to create a show set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe,[15] and in August 2012, ABC ordered a pilot to be written by Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon, and Maurissa Tancharoen, and directed by Joss Whedon,[16] that became Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.[17] It was officially ordered to series on May 10, 2013.[18] By September 2013, Marvel was developing a series inspired by the Agent Carter Marvel One-Shot, featuring Peggy Carter, with Deadline reporting it was one of several series in development at Marvel.[19]

By October 2013, Marvel was preparing four drama series and a miniseries, totaling 60 episodes, to present to video on demand services and cable providers, with Netflix, Amazon, and WGN America expressing interest.[20] In November 2013, it was announced that Disney would provide Netflix with live-action series starting in 2015, based on Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage, leading up to a miniseries based on the Defenders.[21][22] Responding to the Netflix announcement, Disney CEO Bob Iger said that Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones may appear on film if their shows are successful and that another outlet was chosen as ABC and Disney XD could not handle all Marvel shows.[10] Disney will spend approximately $200 million in financing for the series.[23] The four Netflix shows are set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.[24]

>Disney will spend approximately $200 million in financing for the series