Discuss

discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/PFGFJyFM_GM
youtube.com/watch?v=Q5KBcxNrIUg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Order_of_MANS
youtube.com/watch?v=OWwqza4DaKY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Two of the best performances of the century and some of the best cinematography and directing of the century, with an incredible musical score...

...and a fucking boring storyline that I didn't give a single fuck about. If only PTA had put all of this talent and skill into a more engaging story, this could have been a 10/10 on the same level as There Will Be Blood.

Really great performance in cinema by Phoenix. Maybe one of the best in modern movies. Movie was boring as all holy hell otherwise save the don’t blink scene.

Ah I’m drunk

overrated garbage that film school wannabees pretend is high art to feel like they appreciate what the lesser being can't grasp. Phoenix does a good job in it though.
3.5/10

Dat hj
HNNNNNNNNGGGGG

I wanted to like it more than I did.

Not enough explosions for you shaky?

Are you fucking retarded?

I-i-if-if you don't understand the question then why ask PIG FUCK

Really amazing in many ways. Great acting from the whole cast, beautiful cinematography, and it really has this way of sucking you in and building the world of the story. That being said, the story is really boring and feels incomplete and badly structured.

But the best part about it all has to be the fight scenes, watching Joaquin really beat up people was a treat.

It was just boring. It was essentially a love story. I can appreciate everything that made it great but the actual story was almost bad. I didn’t fall asleep during it cause everything else kept me awake

Didn't make it 20 minutes before turning it off. Boooooring.

Seems like you didn't really grasp the framework of its psychoanalytic symbolism and duel meanings of each scene that the story was conveyed through. Everything you've all said is clearly only looking at the story in the most surface level it oriented way possible.

Here's an easy test, can you tell me what the duel symbolic meaning of the opening island scene was in the context of the stories over all imagery?

Can you tell me the difference between duel and dual

t. pseudo-intellectual

Let me guess, you also watch Rick and Morty?

is this copy pasta? it's genius to talk about duality and use the wrong word. perfect! up voted!

Do you actually want to discuss this movie or did you just come here to make the surface level observation that it's boring and that's It?

>frame of psychoanalytic symbolism
>most surface level it oriented way possible
>dual symbolic meaning
>context of the stories over all imagery

You use a lot of fancy words but you sound like a fucking moron.

Sure I bet some people want to discuss it. But we don't want some snarky retard testing us.

you should get the discussion going

I'm just a guy who likes movies. This movie tells an incredible story through it's symbolic imagery in a more complete and fully realized fashion than most movies ever do. I'm just pointing out that this surface level view that the plot is boring clearly is missing these layers

Weird how you’re the only one saying it isn’t boring. The majority of people here praise it and recommend it based on the cinematography, score and performances but admit that the story is a borefest. Maybe you actually found it engaging but more likely you’re just a contrarian faggot playing devils advocate.

We get it. You like boring movies and the phrase “surface level.” Go to sleep now, Tommy.

The majority of the story revolves around archetypal psychoanalytic concepts and their projection into the imagery of the movie as an allegorical stage for the psychological development and degradation of Freddy and Dodd, each character, interaction and object reflecting and realizing and unconscious aspect of their minds, with the scenery and setting often acting as a microcosm of their minds themselves

For example, we see the opening scene on the island as the physical manifestation of the base, lower aspects of Freddies unconscious, what could be equated to Freud's Id, his three primal desires to drink, fight and fuck. As the scenes progress, we literally progress up through the higher levels of Freddies unconscious mind as we gain an intertwining and increasingly complex conceptualization of who he is

youtu.be/PFGFJyFM_GM

I think I just recognize that there is substance to the movie beyond those observations. The majority opinion is rarely relevant in the context of these kinds of movies. They aren't made for everyone

yeah, i watched this movie on a recommendation. i actually did a double take when i kept reading about the glorious cinematography the film supposedly had. i suppose I wasn't engaged enough in the film to actually take it in visually. was a very subpar film that I barely remember, honestly. 4/10.

We see these aspects of Freddie emerge from his unconscious and manifest in his life throughout the story, with his and Dodds attempts to tame, erase or develop them becoming the primary conflict. Freddie himself becomes the reflection of Dodds own base unconscious impulses which he began the Cause to overcome. Conflicts with their psychological issues with the image of the Father, Freddies resistance to becoming his and Dodds attempts to embody him are a reoccurring theme.

In a series of scenes we see Freddy face and reject the projection of his future self as an older man and what he would become as him, first in choking the stiff, stifled man the suit in the department store with his tie, then killing the work ragged old man working the fields with his hooch. He finally comes across Dodd, who becomes the projection of the father he becomes drawn to.

tl;dr it’s boring.

What you need to recognize is you have autism and your attempts at sounding like a big boy actually make you sound like a great flapping anus. You haven’t “recognized or understood” anything deep and your interpretations that you claim delve beyond the “surface level” are so basic you should be embarrassed. And the fact that you think your pseudointellectual analyzation makes a movie any less boring is the definition of narcissism. You have actual autism and you’re probably underage. Goodnight.

Goodnight. Hopefully some rest will soothe how upset you are

Just because there are themes within the plot and symbolism (any retard can see that) doesn't make it any less boring.
Also, the man dying from moonshine which was obviously not directly Freddie's fault and completely unintentional is Freddie rejecting the projection of his future self? You're trying way too hard.

yeah and moby dick is boring because it's just about a guy hunting a whale
not all narrative hinges upon having an intricate plot, this is a character study, of course not much happens in the story

Yes, that man was a projection of Freddies unconscious father image just as the man in the department store was before and Dodd was after. His death from alcohol poisoning and Freddies escape was his psychological rejection of that aspect of the father image and it's potential future in his psyche development.

Clearly perceiving these things within the movie aren't as easy as you claim since most people here didn't. It's easy to claim you did after I explained it though

Clear cut case of an autist who thinks hes smarter than he is hyperanalyzing a movie. Its about a wild man who is trying to reintegrate into society after his time in the war. Him attacking the man in the department store is just his frustrations stemming from a meaningless occupation. Rejection of his projection of his future self ? What a load of crap.

The movie is quite literally entirely about psychoanalytic philosophy user.

It's about what you let control you. Whether it's society, a woman, an institution of any kind, the concept of "decency". In the end, the main character had nothing left to control him, but he had no destiny. Without order, do we have any way forward?

Super good movie

>tfw no Amy Adams lewd audiobook

Laughable really. I think you're mentally ill.

It's a task to watch, but is worthwhile.

Eh, i dunno it made me want to watch it more than once. Its actually a pretty gripping, fascinating journey even though it doesnt have a strong narrative.

Jungian psychology is mostly bullshit dude.

BUT DUDE IT DID YOU JUST DONT UNDERSTAND THE DUAL PSYCHOANALYTIC SYMBOLISM OF HIS UNCONCIOUS PROJECTIONS.

duel*

Please don't suggest that it didn't have a strong narrative, you're just not smart enough.

enjoyed it, even if it was essentially self-indulgent indecipherable garbage

>hurr its about L Ron Hubbard you pleb
not everyone is intimately familiar with the story of L Ron Hubbard

It's about what you let control you. Whether it's society, a woman, an institution of any kind, the concept of "decency". In the end, the main character had nothing left to control him, but he had no destiny. Without order, do we have any way forward?

Super good movie

It lends itself extremely well to the creation of allegorical frameworks of symbolism in story telling. I mean, regardless of your personal feelings about it in real life, it's what the movie is based on and about

I actually noticed the whole "primal beast vs. Conscious human" conflict thing.

But its not like it had much to say about that either. Man is fascinated and drawn to its basic desires but feels the need to control them to the point of torture.

Woah really made me think.

Its about a guy who meets a smart chatismatic guy and the guys interact with each other in various ways until they part.

Second best PTA film.

Best is obviously Punch Drunk.

So does the bible and mother still sucked ass.
If all you do is create symbols and metaphors in an effort to re-tell something established without saying something new then thats bad writing.

Well duh. That struggle is a key theme in the movie. But that guy going on and on about that other bullshit is talking out of his ass. Guaranteed PTA would go "what the fuck" if you told him a completely random man who joaquin never even aware of is a projection of his future self.

I've actually been in a cult. I can confirm that this movie is what it's like.

I felt like it was a very strong analysis of the psychological conflict of the lower and higher selves and the back and forth development and degradation of the psyche with the emerging forces of the unconscious

This thread reeks of autism. Makes sense as this movie is perfect for weeding out the smarties from the dumb dumbs.

Hint: it’s not as deep as you think.

What cult were you in?

NO DUDE ITS ABOUT FREDDIES UNCONSCIOUS PROJECTIONS MANIFESTING THEMSELF AND FREDDIES PSYCHOLOGICAL REJECTION.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q5KBcxNrIUg

What's wrong with telling a story revolving around perennial concepts?

Its just one guy. Very ironic that he thinks hes the smartest one in the thread and the rest of us "don't get it"

i love this film and wish we had an even longer cut of it, there's a lot of good stuff in the "back beyond" short film/montage

You mean the man Freddie literally says "you remind me of my father" to? Psychological projection makes up a massive part of the interactions in the story

is this movie....
too deep for you?

What makes you feel like this interpretation that there is no depth to the story is correct?

Weird

Not as weird as what happened behind the scenes. But the bearded guru priest guy in the video would bombard us with "PIG FUCK" style spergouts to keep us in line. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was pretty amazing in capturing this persona.

Do you actually not remember the huge part of the story where they out Freddie through several psychological exercises to get him to project his unconscious mind? These ideas are very directly in the story

How did you get out?

I never said there was no depth. I said the story felt incomplete and badly structured and quite frankly a bit boring, which is my opinion. I still like the movie a lot and its second only to Boogie Nights in regards to PTAs filmography . Obviously there are themes and symbolism within it. A lot of anons summed them up. But I find a lot of the analysis of that arrogant pseudointellectual to be garbage.

amy
adams
hand
job

PTA's best film besides There Will Be Blood.

PSH's best performance besides Synecdoche, New York.

Joaquin's best performance period.

Just an overall outstanding character study done by actors at the top of their craft. Probably my favorite PTA movie

He wanted me to cut off ties with some people I cared about. He wanted to help me write a letter saying that I would no longer be in contact with them/this was my life now, etc. Those ties were strong enough to shake his hold on me when he asked me to do that.

This was in Kodiak, Alaska. I got the fuck out of there after that.

Damn, what drew you in to begin with?

Lost my grandfather who raised me and I went soul searching. Fell in with a religious community that sang the praises of this place up in Alaska.

It was kind of a holdout group of this cult that was really big that started in the 70's

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Order_of_MANS

If you're curious.

The priest in charge has been defrocked and investigated for criminal charges, sexual misconduct, shit like that. But I guess that there are still holdouts protecting him.

it's funny
on Sup Forums there have been hundreds of threads about Eva with people discussing its themes at length.
I haven't seen anything like that on Sup Forums.
Is anime simply better than films?

yawn, this was discussed to death when the movie first came out
>hurr freddie is id, doddy is ego, doddy waifu is superego, finally i am become the master fucker of pigs

Probably one of my favorite films

they shouldnt have cloned amy adams so many times the cheese industry cant handle the load

Theres a weird rejection of such discussions here, I don't get it. I blame rlm

No it’s just adults trying to make the cartoons they jerk off to more serious by injecting it with their half baked philosophy. It’s the opposite of funny when you step back and really consider what’s happening. Fully grown men watching Japanese cartoons like a religion.

inherent Vice was a piece of shit in comparison

Not true, this board still discusses Batman v Superman

Master is gay
Prove me wrong protip; you cannot

These things horrify me honestly, new age ascended masters

Fair enough

It's easy to be taken in by them if you are vulnerable.

I have a friend involved in a similar group, luckily only online. He'll literally leave or force you to leave where ever it is you may be with him if you start to become critical of them

>ywn be confident enough to found a personality cult
Why live bros

>unconscious
wew

The only thing you can do for him is ask him critical questions that will hopefully make him reevaluate whatever ideology he has been fed. He has to find his own way out.

I hope he does.

where does one go to discuss films in depth?

reddit? (not trolling)

hey, thats where i go to if i want to see gore threads that dont suck, weirdly enough

The soundtrack is fantastic
youtube.com/watch?v=OWwqza4DaKY