HULK (2003)

Ang Lee's film was less about simply "Hulk Smash" and more about the idea of the Hulk. The idea of evolution, the idea of repression and subsequent freedom from that repression. It's interesting that every Ang Lee film is similarly about this idea of repression. Repressed gay cowboys, repressed women in China, a repressed slave finding freedom after the Civil War, etc. The evolution idea is expressed in the food chain of "Hulk" creatures we see in the movie. First a frog, then dogs, Hulk himself, and then a near "Hulk god" in David Banner. Evolution is also cinematically expressed in the morph edits seen throughout the film. Contrary to popular belief, the multi-frame editing was not just about mimicking a a comic book, it was about expressing the idea of freedom from repression, of seeing something from different angles, different points of view, different sides, much like Bruce has a "different side" to him. If you notice, the multi-angles many times show us the same subject but from a different camera angle. The idea of the Hulk is also metaphorically visually expressed through the imagery of atomic mushroom clouds and jellyfish, two visually similar objects. It expresses the idea that this Hulk was born of two of the greatest known forces in the universe, genetic and atomic force. It's Ang Lee's masterful filmmaking, strong use of visual metaphor, and faithfulness to the original comics that really sets his Hulk film apart for me. Perhaps the one scene that really spells out what Ang Lee is doing and also brought me back to the old comics was that first close-up we see of Hulk free and jumping through the desert to the haunting Danny Elfman music.

i would have really liked this movie if not for the the guy who played banner and the cgi dogs

I wasnt a fan of the dogs much either but i really love that moment where he fights his father in the clouds with the music playing one of the more memorable superhero scenes

That I disliked, I found the father's transformation too comical, his powers too over the top.

Did not read, but film is kino

Don't make me angry user..

He's also been the most accurate Hulk.

>not mindless but not collected either
>actually grew in size the angrier he got

I would have loved a third film, with a new creative team and cast yet again.
But it still being a semi-sequel.
Could have been the best and certainly most interesting cape trilogy.

yea he was tonally inconsistent with what was going on, plus the weird bodyhorror shit going on with him just wasnt interesting and really poorly done

I'm so Ang Lee

something I noticed, Hulk in this movie gets smarter each time he transforms, and stays longer too

pure kino

>SUPERHERO FIGHTS ANOTHER SUPERHERO THAT'S EXACTLY LIKE HIM ONLY "STRONGER" BUT STILL WINS

Why are all these movies like this? Iron Man fought like 10 different Iron Man versions already.

what do you want, a superhero to think the villain to death?

I wonder what it would be like if it was made in during the MCU era with Lee and cast still in it, it has a strong early 00s feel to it.

Oh yes. The joker ,catwoman, riddler, penguin, mr. freeze, bane, poison ivy, two-face...
All like batman

its just a way of demonstrating the dualistic effect of power to the world around them. two sides of the coin to establish things moving forward

the final battle would be full of hulk quips about his dad based on whatever he turns into

The second film was MCU, even though the earliest stage, and it was good.

poetry
is it how he got the job?

Wasn't the second Hulk movie a pretty much direct sequel to the Ang Lee picture? Wouldn't it make this movie a part of the MCU as well?

he had crouching tiger hidden dragon in 2000

I felt the cloud shit was too much. The whole movie was up its own ass and then you have shit like Hulk stopping in the middle of a fight to contemplate moss on a rock and the slideshow in the clouds for no reason, not to mention the way David was finally destroyed was just groan inducing.
This movie is the only one I think I've ever seen that has my favorite scenes ever and my most hated shit ever.
PLUS making David Banner a physical monster to battle sort of fucked up with the theming. Hulk is Banner's antagonist.
Ross is Hulk's physical challenge via the military and Banner's emotional challenge via Betty.
David is Banner's mental and emotional antagonist. He didn't need to ALSO be an Absorbing Man/Zzzax monster.

In regards to Hulk's origin they made it a bloated overly segmented mess. All you need is Banner getting blasted by gamma rays, doesn't matter how. Bomb, experiment, deliberate attempt to unlock more strength...who cares. Shit can be done in three minutes. They dragged that shit out for an hour and a half throwing in sea life DNA, and nanomachines in addition the simple Gamma exposure.

The Hulk dog fight was stupid, especially with Hulk hopping through the treetops like its fucking Ninja Scroll or something. The concept of Hulk dogs isn't bad. Gamma animals are always fun, but they messed it up with a boring fight, silly looking dogs and too much Ang Lee/Yo-Yo Ma bullshit in the trees.

HOWEVER. They did a great job of showing just how fucked in the head Banner is. The desert fight was THE definitive Hulk battle for years. I actually liked a lot of the comic-panel edits and overall the movie was well done as hell, just a few missteps.

Also Jennifer Connelly

t. brainlet

it was originally supposed to be, but they retconned hulk's origin to be different and later on talbot (who got blown up) shows up alive in agents of SHIELD, so...

>>actually grew in size the angrier he got
How is that accurate at all? Stronger=/=Bigger

fair enough, I haven't seen either movie in ages

>David is Banner's mental and emotional antagonist.
they still did that in the very end.
what the hell do you think the "take it all" scene was?
the physical fighting was just to get to that point.

as for the moss scene, the moss is also focused on in an earlier scene with his mom. ergo, this scene is supposed to infer hulk/banner is having a flashback to a happy time with his mother gardening, which is why he starts to calm down at that point until the helicopters show up.

it was originally supposed to go either way, as a semi sequel/reboot

that's why bruce banner starts off in the jungle like he ended up in hulk (2003), but there's no other link to the previous movie

>that's why bruce banner starts off in the jungle like he ended up in hulk (2003)
yeah I remember that and that's what made me think it might be a direct sequel

It's shown in the comics that Hulks size correlates to how angry he is.

If an Abrams fires a couple shells and a few hundred rounds of 50cal at him, it pisses him off even more, and he grows in size.

Yeah. Same reason Mark Webb got the Amazing Spider-Man gigs.

It sort of acknowledged that HULK existed as the concept of franchise reboots within such a small timeframe was still new. But it clearly isn't the same canon when the details are examined

I understand WHY it was there, I'm saying it didnt work.
If David was the one responsible for helping Ross create a monster, fine. But David being a monster himself was just silly. Even though, like I said, the scene of David and Bruce talking in that bunker is fucking glorious.
I guess it's fitting for a Hulk movie to be so schizophrenic in its quality.

It never shows him, in the comics, growing in size as his anger increases. Are the fuck you on about?

I think that music was reused in Justice League

man the thing about Incredible Hulk is Norton doesnt feel right looks wise. Bana and ruffalo have a sort of more brawler appearance to them norton has a thin fae and the hulks nose is pointy, also the emo hair

know which part? was pretty disappointed with the score overall

This movie is proto-Snyderfag tier.
Tons of elements thrown together in a barely coherent way so some people think its deep and filled with symbolism and other recognize it as a fucking mess.

It even eventually had the same marketing as BvS had with the "You've heard the arguments, now see it for yourself" trailers.

I will say the parts I disliked, I Reeeeally disliked, but the good was SO fucking good that they level each other out.
Solid B-/C+ in an age when most capeshit was still D-tier.

but dude, like he IS a monster, and that was just his true self coming out

I'm being half ironic, half serious, by the way

>more about the idea of the Hulk
It's more about Ang Lee. Hulk as a long series could be anything. Ang Lee was projecting his Chinese exoticism in Crouching Tiger and Life of Pi and the generational conflict into Hulk

both danny elfman.
you can only score so many movies before repeating yourself

Bana has a punchable fucking face. I liked Norton's thin, wiry Banner to contrast Hulk's bulk. But Hulk in that movie was more, I dunno, cut and ripped than ever other Hulk we've had.

I see it as that. New cast etc. require it to be a bit different of course.

Doesnt he get to like 15' in World War Hulk?

Also, making David a literal monster makes his paranoia too on the nose. He was afraid that he had passed something onto Bruce through the experiments and David already recognized that Bruce inherited his temper and darkness of mood. It's so metaphorical that David was afraid of being a monster...then they make him a literal monster...
It's like they had it all set up but chickened out at the last second.

>In regards to Hulk's origin they made it a bloated overly segmented mess. All you need is Banner getting blasted by gamma rays, doesn't matter how. Bomb, experiment, deliberate attempt to unlock more strength...who cares. Shit can be done in three minutes. They dragged that shit out for an hour and a half throwing in sea life DNA, and nanomachines in addition the simple Gamma exposure.

Makes it more believable though.
No person ever turned into something like the hulk from gamma radiation.
What worked in 60s children's comic books, does not necessarily work today in a sci-fi film.
But yes, unfortunately the film had a lot of other comical shit.

They've been drawing Hulk bigger and bigger. Same for Thing. They both started off short as fuck but over the years it just got cooler to make then inhumanly large.

He HAS been getting bigger but there's no actual explaination for it other than artistic trends. It's not an anger thing.

>It's like they had it all set up but chickened out at the last second.
gotta fill the toy character quota

Hulk 2003 is not a perfect movie.
But I love it, because other than today's capeshit, the creators clearly had a vision and cared for what they were doing.
Nowadays they only care for money!

Fair enough.

Weird. I also have it in the back of my mind hat comic hulk became stronger and bigger the angrier he gets. Is it from the cartoon?

>Makes it more believable though.
user. Please.

Banner sits down in a chair. ZAP, now he's Hulk.
Banner gets caught in a blast. ZAP, now he's Hulk.
Get on with it. We don't need it to be realistic in order to be believable, we're already there to see a guy transform into a green monster. We've come to peace with disbelief at that point before the movie's even started.

nigga I know this post-ironic revisionist history is big now but for real that movie was ass, like what's you're gonna start talking about how the 1950s Thing movie is better than the John Carpenter one or like how that Wizard of Oz they made before the one everyone knows that was like a silent movie or some shit is the superior film, like nigga please just try and have a real ass opinion in your life not based on whatever thing on Sup Forums starts happening and you need to collect yourself and readapt to this shit because somehow you think it makes you seem smart or whatever the fuck is going on in your rusty musty ass brain

Now. Hulk'03 is the only time he's been shown inflating with anger.

People have been doing the same thing with the Star Wars Prequels.

>t. pleb

yes nigga and this contrarianism shit is like some low key reddit shit, like when some 13 year old who grew up with anakin instead of luke kinda types well so people actually listen to his shit and then he gets into one of those reddits where everyone is nice and entertains ass arguments like "the prequels are good, tho" and suddenly this intelligent 13 year old has convinced 100 people that the movies aren't "that bad" but nigga those movies are booty and this shit has to stop, like that dude that wrote a big ass essay against the plinkett reviews like who the fuck is that nigga, why did he have that much time, that dude needs help

TAKE IT AAAALLLLLLLL!

I think the prequels were crap movies that had moments of true brilliance whenever Lucas got to show off his genius for visuals. Seriously the spaceship designs are still iconic.
I think Hulk is a bloated and pretentious mess but admirable for it's ambition. Greatly it failed but more greatly it dared.
It's possible to have real opinions that aren't contrarian or conformist.

>blabber blabber
people have differing opinions
and people itt obviously like the movie

Those two panels are actually more intriguing than the entire current MCU!

I understand that shit nigga, but you can't deny all these wild ass niggas talking about how shit is "a good movie," and that's not even what this is, this nigga wrote a dissertation about a movie no one liked for a reason, talking about the psychology and shit but that movie was like "my dad was abusive and that's the REAL reason I'm the hulk now" like that's some kind of profound shit instead of just being stupid because Ang Lee barely even speaks english and was probably applying weird oriental shit to a dumb superhero, and by the way miss me with that shit about the prequel ships, the only good ones were just references to the OT ships and all the original shit like Trade Federation donuts or the naboo fighters were ass as fuck, mah dude

The thing that makes hulk 2003 good is that you can tell it is the vision of someone, it is his creative creation. Compared to the mass produced checklist audience tested capeshit that is made now a days its great

The movie is great. I'm pissed Disney is using the Edward Norton's version as canon (the LotR's girl will be in some movie).

underrated

Why did the replace Norton then?
And the guy from Ironman 1, he was much better than new guy.

A pre-Disney Marvel Universe would be great

Toby Spidey
Banner/Norton Hulk
Jane Punisher
Hasselhoff Fury
Downey Ironman
Jackman Wolverine
Affleck Daredevil
And Alba etc. Fantastic 4

Because Norton is impossible to work with.

Norton and the original guy from Ironman were impossible to deal with.

Sucks, cause they were better than the guys we now have.

t. man with no taste

They can pay only one guy 50 million+ per movie.
They chose Downey.
The guy from iron man wanted more money, which Downey wanted himself, so he was kicked.

Some people might tell you they chose Downey over Norton because of religion...

>nigga
get back on twitter faggot dont bring your unintelligent coontalk and shit opinions on this board. save that shit for the welfare line

a wild boyega appears!

Creative differences with Norton. He's got a reputation of not being the easiest actor to work with at times, worse so on Incredible Hulk.

Original Rhodie was replaced because he wanted the same money they were giving Downey, which was a fucking stupid ask, so he walked and they got Cheadle whos a better actor for less money.

True non ironical Kino along with Batman Returns and SM2.

The rest, even TDK is a tier below.

>because he wanted the same money they were giving Downey

what a retard lmao

kek I had this toy. It was shit, couldn't play with it without all the limbs falling off.

I actually prefer Ruffalo.

Separate your paragraphs, motherfucker. You just vomited a wall of text that no one's going to read.

>They dragged that shit out for an hour and a half throwing in sea life DNA, and nanomachines in addition the simple Gamma exposure.

That's actually canon.