Why could Sauron not see Bilbo for the 70 years he had the ring?

Why could Sauron not see Bilbo for the 70 years he had the ring?

not powerful enough i imagine

The Hobbit movies were terrible, I didn't watch more than the first two films either.

because Tolkien is a fucking hack

He's too short

i have cancer now

Because he underestimated the Shire.

He looked in other places.

because Tolkien is a senile old hack who didnt think things through.

This might be the worst thing I've ever seen

Why didn’t Sauron just write the ring off, take the tax deduction and use the savings to make a new ring?

>conflating LOTR with capeshit and cuck wars

Jeez.

he couldn't see Frodo either. the ring is a piece of shit.

>tfw didnt catch the LoTR movies hype
>haven't watch any yet
>Still watched all the hobbit movies
I really dont have the energy to go through another 9 hours of medieval faggotry

my day was going so good until you posted that

he could, he was just in NEETmode

So is the rings only power that it makes you invisible and turns you into a gremlin?

for mortals yes. powerful elves+maiar and above could utilize it's power but it would corrupt them to sauron's will.

/thread

>9 hours
try 11-12, but seriously user go watch them i watched all the hobbit movies when they came out in theatres before watching lotr for the first time a month ago and it's leagues above hobbit in every measure, if you liked thought the hobbit was even a little good you'l love lotr user

I guess it has its moments, i give it a chance then

>9gag
Color me surprised.

imagine baiting this poorly

One change between the book and movie that I completely approve is how in the movie, Frodo leaves the Shire immediately under cover of darkness after Gandalf tells him about the Ring.
In the book, Frodo takes his sweet-ass time for no reason and comes up with an unnecessary and convoluted plan involving pretending to move to somwhere else in the Shire after a few weeks.
The movie gives a sense of urgency, Sauron is already on Frodo's tail and he has to leave quickly. The book acts like it's some lame RPG, where the plot is going to wait for you to leave the town after you've completed any optional sidequests you feel like.

wtf I'm literally r3ddit

lmao

??

I always thought it was because Sauron was building his power, and the eye wasn't strong enough yet / didn't know where to look (shire could have been too far away from Mordor).

It's only after they tortured Gollum that the eye saw the ring.

How did Sauron even know that Gollum used to have the Ring?

Because Sauron was still gathering his power, nigger
Did you even watch the movie?

This is what it feels like to read Ready Player One

pretty much the whole time bilbo had the ring, sauron was recovering from being driven out of dol guldur. it's only around the time bilbo gives the ring to frodo that sauron is strong enough to see who has it. even then, he was barely able to.

Good question. Probably because of the ring's corruption still visible on Gollum.

Or he walked into Mordor like an idiot, blabbering about "My precious". He put two and two together.

he didn't

ITT: retards

Gandalf, Legolas, and Aragorn tracked Gollum across Rhovanion and held him in the Elven-king's dungeons for a while, Sauron heard about it from his spies and wanted to learn what was so important about it.

This is amazing. I'll repost it forever.

Sauron couldn't literally see where the ring was when someone put it on and the big eye on top of barad due is a meme invented by Peter Jackson

literally the only good thing about this is shut up crime

>Sauron was being a busybody
>Sauron most likely looked into the more prominent places, instead of fucking Manlet Town, New Zealand
>the Ring was pretty damn far away, so its power was pretty low
>the Ring lost its power over time
>Bilbo found the Ring at its weakest
>Bilbo didn't use the Ring for nefarious purposes

Some shit like that.

>aaahh.. Schnee im Sommer

They also greatly condensed how long it took Gandalf to figure out that Bilbo's ring was indeed the One Ring. In the book it was several years, in the movie it seems to just be a couple of months.

t. virgin

Even though Bilbo the Hobbit and a bunch of Dwarves took down his chief warrior Orc

>There are literally people on this Board that either havent watched LoTR or only watched it within the last month or two

holy fucking shit I am better than you

Except azog wasn't taking instruction or even affiliated with Sauron in any way

kek, underrated

He didn't know about hobbits or the shire iirc until gollum was captured

I'm sure of all that happened, the single Hobbit is what Azog remembered from the event.

>why didn't drumpf just put his money in stocks XD

what the fuck how does this human being exist

same reason that Voldemort didn't kill Harry when he nipped out to the shops
he was busy 'gathering power' because the story hadn't started yet
it's a plot device

Sauron doesn't have a GPS on that thing.

I always hated how the movies left out the Scouring of the Shire,
Which is more important that anything that happens to Frodo and Sam in TT

That's what I dislike the most about the movies

>there are people on this planet that have seen the Hobbit movies but haven't seen LotR
Holy shit I hadn't ever considered that

To be fair, it would have made the movie half an hour longer. Also, many would consider it an anti-climax.

This is such a masterful troll that I genuinely think Quentin's behind it.

he didn't have his full power yet. saruman says this like x minutes into the movie when gandalf rides to isengard.

They should have adapted it into a short film or something.

>Also, many would consider it an anti-climax.
That's the point though.
The Shire is not supposed to be some kind of heaven where nothing bad ever happens.
Just because they defeated the great evil doesn't mean they defeated all evil.

If you leave it out, then the meaning of the movies is very different

Clearly this whole thread was a ruse to put that cringe meme out there as bait
It would never had lasted as an OP, well played

Or maybe the message becomes "we should have killed Grima and Saruman when we had the chance".

Jackson talks about it and gives a tribute to it in Frodo's vision with Galadriel. And like the others mentioned, it would have been too anti climactic for the movies.

>the Ring was pretty damn far away, so its power was pretty low
>the Ring lost its power over time
that isn't how it works, sweetie

you're going to get 500 different answers to this because it's never explained in the books or movies. at best you'll get something like 'sauron hasn't reached his full power yet'

ok. what does that mean? how is he able to amass a gigantic army yet he can't sense where his fucking ring is? ya know, the thing that he poured his fucking life force into?

the book is filled with vague shit like this. ask what the ring actually does and you'll also get another 500 different answers.

Yes, this also.

18+

Sauron was never able to track the Ring, at most his Ringwraiths could sense it's overall location if they were close enough to it.
Did everyone miss how Gollum kept it for 500 years without Sauron being any wiser and how he didn't even know about the Shire till Gollum told him?

Why didn't they just sneak into Mordor and take some lava from Mt. Doom in a bucket and bring it back to Rivendell? That way the ring would remain safe

That shot wasn't cannon

that's another thing, gollum. he has it that long and...nothing happens. they should have just given gollum the ring back and told him to go fuck off in the mountains somewhere.

Wow now that you say it I never questioned why the ring makes Sauron strong, Isildur an ass and Frodo invisible. What does that stupid thing actually do? Except for corrupting your soul and letting you live 111 years.

>ask what the ring actually does and you'll also get another 500 different answers
Yeah, one thing that bothered me is that the Ring is supposed to tempt people, but it doesn't actually give normal people any powers other than invisibility (which is useless agaisnt many enemies anyway and actually makes you more of a target). What is the ring actually tempting you with? It fails as an allegory because the ring is simply brainwashing, in order for there to be temptation there needs to be something actually tempting. If anything it's more of an allegory for drug addiction.

wtf i love reddit now

Kek you guys should write fantasy novels

Because Sauron wasn't active back then.
They didn't need to destroy the Ring so Sauron wouldn't get it, they needed to destroy the Ring because it was literallly the only way to defeat Sauron.

It enhances your abilities to Sauron-tier levels and makes you invisible because shadow world or something.

>believing Sauronman
dummy

Not him but essentially the Ring gives you unnatural long life, and enhances your existing qualities exponentially
I. E. little people like Hobbits are a small and stealthy, crafty people > ring makes them invisible
It affects other people/races in different ways
Sauron it just competes his power in this realm, and gives gives his strong sorcerers' "spirit" for lack of a better term a physical form, which he can wreck shit with

Sauron didn't know what tf a hobbit was. They've never done a single thing of note.

Even when he knew a hobbit had it he didn't know which one, which is why they split them up.

>what is the ring actually tempting you with

power? idk. it doesn't really make sense. a bunch of characters in the movie start talking about wielding the rings power....uh, how exactly? it's supposed to bend people's will of people, so wtf? it's not like boromir can put the ring on and suddenly start throwing fireballs everywhere

the ring wraiths were still around, and sauron never went anywhere, he's a spirit. how does a demigod.

First of the only way to even watch the hobbit is to watch the fan cut that is 4 and a half hours and cuts out most of the garbage and filler.

Second of all Lotr is 10x times better than the hobbit. And that is despite the fact the movies butcher almost all characters.
The books are 10x better than the movies.

>I. E. little people like Hobbits are a small and stealthy, crafty people > ring makes them invisible

that's not how it fucking works. why do people keep repeating this? isildor tries to put the ring on when he was attacked by orcs TO GO INVISIBLE and run away/hide

i started laughing

It makes you believe you can become The Dark Lord and have everything you ever dreamed of.

As far as i remember from the books ghollum simply walked into morder himself and was caught.

Cause Sauron was drawing all evil to him.

The Ringwraiths can't detect the Ring just like that, not even Sauron can.
They only know it's in the area when they are close enough. They didn't even know it was in the Shire or where the fuck Bilbo lived till someone else told them.
And after being defeated Sauron needed time to rebuild his armies, otherwise he would just get BTFO again.

What are you, a Hobbit scholar?

the movies are masterpieces
the books are too long with a bunch of unnecessary shit thrown in. Go back and read the books vs watching the movies.

It was only gendalf and Aragorn.

that seems pretty fucking stupid doesn't it? so sauron put a shit load of his life force or whatever into this ring, and he doesn't even bother to buff the ring wraith search stats

sauron is a moron

What makes you think that shit even exists in LotR?

because the lava would cool into rock you dumb fuck

because the ringwraiths sense the ring, so sauron obviously put it in them to sense it and the idiot didn't + it enough

Not with an Elven thermos

People have to understand that many things are explained through vague prose in the books...
When explained in plain english some of it sounds sketchy but within the contained world of lotr and the language used for the prose it makes sense and does not break immersion.