/who/ - Doctor Who General

Second Doctor Special Offers edition.

In celebration of all things Patrick Troughton, we have some special offers from the world of the Second Doctor. Plus the Listeners title for December!

bigfinish.com/news/v/second-doctor-special-offers

Last sale:

Other urls found in this thread:

broadcastnow.co.uk/tech/lens-change-to-make-doctor-who-more-filmic/5124650.article
youtube.com/watch?v=jZx4P6u3rzU
telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/doctor-who/10223455/Doctor-Who-women-do-not-want-to-see-a-female-Timelord-says-shows-writer.html
mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/Masterwho?-new-dr-who-showrunner-spinoff-in-works11309547
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Hi Nick

Want to be a part of /who/ secret santa? Here's how!

Step 1: Set up an amazon account

Step 2: If you don't want people to know your full name go to My Account > Personalization >Your public Profile to change your name to something less tracky.

Step 3: Make a public wish list of stuff you want
Also make sure you add an address or your not getting shit. Go to List Actions > Update List Profiles. Enable 3rd party to get things from amazon sellers(and save a nice gifter a few bucks) For added safety, choose items fulfilled by amazon to avoid possible sharing of your personal address!

Step 4: You post your list with everybody elses

Step 5:???

Step 6: Profit!

Don't worry if you can't gift back, that's not what this is about.
Would like everyone who participates to receive a gift, so if you see a ** next to someone's list, move onto the next one that hasn't received a gift.

Gift Givers, please reply with the list you
purchased for so it can be noted.

17514VADVEQIM**
DGXY4RJPSQWB**
2CG83V99TQ9RD
OFSL0NT2DR5U**
2IZSELC8RIKC9**
1ICTY5EYJA536
2HR8QCNPF2EJV
2869K8NQWTDYU**
3PAIZYX4T3S3W -Amazon . co . uk
1MXNH09BNBX5 -Amazon . co . uk
2IZ3HNTFTN5L1 -Amazon . co . uk
3CAH1CFP6G2EL
2YB70I6MMXBS3
user requests a the Radical Doctor Lym requests Jess art.user requests art of a Ironside trying to make tea.
Post your lists!
Don't want a physical gift? Make a request for OC arts, Vocaroo holiday greeting, or something else maybe? Perhaps someone will fulfill your request!
Merry /who/mas!
Will add them to the copy pasta for the next thread.

>no trout early adventure with the exxilons and the drashigs
I'm disappointed, Briggs.

Speaking about the arrival of the new Doctor in the form of Jodie Whitaker, Moffat explained why casting a woman hadn't occured when he first took over, even though he had previously introduced a female Doctor in the form of Joanna Lumley in The Curse of Fatal Death:

"If we’d replaced David Tennant with a woman it wouldn’t have worked. It was too early. We could have replaced Matt Smith with a woman, given that his Doctor was more sexless and less of a lad, but then I got obsessed with seeing Peter in the Tardis."

We're still listening to the second 10/Rose audio story in CWS. cytu.
be/r/casualwhostream

>"If we’d replaced David Tennant with a woman it wouldn’t have worked. It was too early. We could have replaced Matt Smith with a woman, given that his Doctor was more sexless and less of a lad, but then I got obsessed with seeing Peter in the Tardis."
>less of a lad
Man, you wrote Eleven, you should be able to remember your own writing.

broadcastnow.co.uk/tech/lens-change-to-make-doctor-who-more-filmic/5124650.article
Reminder that Series 11 will be 2:1 kino.

nth for Jodie.

Xmas 2009:

2013:

Moffat and others often tried to write 11 as a 'lad'ish womaniser, but Smith's performance always overruled it in the end. At a minimum you can say that 11 was less confident as a suave charmer than 10 due to being generally clueless about human customs

KINO

youtube.com/watch?v=jZx4P6u3rzU

Capaldi's might actually be my favourite despite having zero decoration.

>3CAH1CFP6G2EL
Enjoy your gift!

If you're a bad flirt you're still flirting, ten was much more reserved than eleven in that regard.

>3CAH1CFP6G2EL
Noted! ty for letting me know.

whats a lad

Lads...

Let's just ignore the tiny irrelevant detail that The Curse of Fatal Death is a parody. Also Moffat said that not enough people, especially women, wanted a female Doctor as recently as 2013.

telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/doctor-who/10223455/Doctor-Who-women-do-not-want-to-see-a-female-Timelord-says-shows-writer.html

British term for a young man, it's occasionally used the same way 'thug' is stateside.

I hate when TV shows do this. It works in a cinema but I can't see shit on my tiny TV screen.

>unironically watching le wacky British man show

>>>/tumblr/

How'd that happen? Is anyone seeing a christmassy thumbnail different from the gif?
Like a guys guy? Good ole boy in the southern venacular.

I only watch le grumpy Scottish man show

Thumbnail swaps happen sometimes, it's just an occasional error on Sup Forums's side.

It genuinely feels like Moffat's done a political 160 recently, he's gone from an overly confrontational shitlord to an overly confrontational essjaydubya.

It was obnoxious in 2014 and it's obnoxious in 2017.

It's almost like he was never either of those and it's just your absurd perception exaggerating minor changes in what you know about him.

Image glitch happens if two people post an image at the EXACT same time

Aaaand one more!
>2YB70I6MMXBS3
Merry Christmas, user

Have you read DWM? Ever?

Oh first time it's happened to me! JINX Someone owes me a soda! Thanks for the response you have no idea the amount of anxiety you just saved me!

The tumblr hate campaign against him worked. He's their bitch now and they still hate him.

Thank you, based Cloister.

Nah, there's definitely a reason why Moffat got so much hate on tumblr back in the day, he clearly got a kick out of the reaction, and then, for reasons I don't know, he found a different side of the fanbase to antagonize and now he does that.

Even if you think it's funny to watch and hope in continues into the Chibnall run there's no denying it's there.

>there's definitely a reason why Moffat got so much hate on tumblr back in the day
Which is...

Merry Christmas user! Hope you enjoy whatever it is. I wouldn't mind a pic posted when you get it If not no worries, just have fun with it!

Glad to help out!

broadcastnow.co.uk/tech/lens-change-to-make-doctor-who-more-filmic/5124650.article It's a fucking tv show not a movie. It doesn't need to look cinematic, I prefer the actual tv look of 9 and 10's era.

>Series 11 will have an even more "cinematic" look with new cameras
So like how the Moff era right from the start looked 100x better than RTD, Chibby will look better than Moff

Will do, mate.

Well they are filming in India, Ireland and South Africa gotta make those vistas look good goy. Welsh quarries are a thing of the past.

>It's a fucking tv show not a movie. It doesn't need to look cinematic, I prefer the actual tv look of 9 and 10's era.
If you showed a clip of 10's era to someone who'd just been watching Hartnell in 1963, they would think it was beyond what TV was capable of. What I'm trying to say is that the line between looking like TV and like cinema shifts over time, because it's arbitrary.

Honestly, don't expect THAT much of an upgrade. It's still using the Alexa XT cameras that have been in use since S6, they've just got new lenses.

He directly mocked them in episodes, there was a big deal back in the day when he had a 'Sherlock fangirl' on an episode of that show.

And to a lesser extent Osgood was seen as a similar caricature.

This was a big deal, not even three years ago, not much time has passed since then, this should be well remembered.

>I prefer the actual tv look of 9 and 10's era.
It's not that the RTD era looked like a TV show, it's that it looked like a 1990s TV show.
Even though it ran from 2005 to 2010.

Black Seven works

Question for /who/: Feel free to tell me to fuck offerino in regards to this, but would /who/ like unboxing/opening pics for gifts received? I've done this in the past with mixed results, admittedly I may have gone too far in places.

Well series 1 was filmed in 2004 a lot of the tech used then was still from the 90's and basically no one had HD tv's.

We're finishing off the 10/Rose box set with Cold Vengeance in the stream shortly cytu.
be/r/casualwhostream

How pissed will you be if the rumoured Africa, Indian and Irish episode don't delve into the mythology of the countries/cultures but are just about evil whitey.

>implying it won't be both

I don't know, because I don't exist in that white-grievance alternate reality.

NuWho has come a long way in terms of cinematography in the last 12 years.

I didn't even recognize Matt Lucas as Nardole and I used to watch Little Britain religiously when I was younger

I don't mind!

Reminder that
>"Rose Tyler; Social Justice Warrior!"

Even when the "jizz stains on the camera" went away with Series 3, the RTD era still looked pretty bad tbdesu

That lower image isn't even a screencap from the episode, step it up senpai.

cherrypicking.

I could pick a screengrab of the Dalek spaceship set from 2005 and compare it to the 2010 Dalek spaceship location, kek

That shot from Aliens of London (I think?) is making me a little bit queasy just looking at it. Somehow even 80s Who was prettier.

I'm not even upset, I was when it was 'announced' but now I'm just ready, I'm ready for the Thin Ice show, it's gonna be gr8.

I thought tumblr loved Osgood. She seems like a completely affectionate tribute to fangirls rather than a send-up. Moffat even undermined a great death scene in order to bring her back. All of the tumblr Moffat-hate that I've heard about is batshit things like him being ableist because the Doctor blew up an insane asylum of Daleks or him being sexist because Amy's life revolved around the Doctor, the main character of the show she's in.

I watched it too. Didn't care for the one set in america though. I liked him in Krod Mändoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire too. A shame that didn't stick around.

John Simm has been approached by Chibnall for a master mini series.

mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/Masterwho?-new-dr-who-showrunner-spinoff-in-works11309547

Meme all you want about Rachel Talaylaylaylaylay, but this was gorgeous

>I'm ready for the Thin Ice show,
What?

>Masterwho?-new-dr-who-showrunner-spinoff-in-works11309547
That's not even a realistic-looking URL.

Do it user. Do it for Rusty.

cherrypick the prettiest moffat era moments

Nah, she was definitely a lot more of a mockery in the beginning, especially in the 50'th, she just kinda evolved into her own thing over time.

I TOLD YOU IM READY FOR THE THIN ICE SHOW

>I'm ready for the Thin Ice show
Are you one of those anons that got triggered over a 3 second scene?

Honestly both Moffats and RTD eras were crap. Both are bad writers, both bad showrunners who don't understand Doctor Who. I've a good feeling about Chibnall he's a gifted writer and a competent showrunner.

Who is good showrunner then?

I'm not triggered, shit's gonna be a mess and I'll enjoy every moment of it.

Chris Chibnall

>I've a good feeling about Chibnall he's a gifted writer
please tell us all about how Chibnall's episodes were better than what RTD and Moffat were capable of

Countrycide is better than most of the shit in S4 and S10.

A friend I know is an accountant for BBC, I don't know anything about the episodes other than budget/geographic budgetary allocations for the show and the budget this series is immense, far more than it's ever been. They are going to be filming in Southern India, Republic of Ireland, Washington state in the US, South Africa, Japan and Russia. There are no longer set budgets for each episode per say, friend says the entire 10 episode series is being treated like 1 movie and the budget is 95 million pounds. So well over 100 million dollars.

absolute kek

It depends on the context. Complaining about whites in 200-ish BC India would be fucking stupid. But India during during British occupation would be a different story.

Why would the budget go from around £1m per episode to £95m over 10? That's downright ridiculous. Nice try.

I hate to be the cynicist, but Chibnall definitely doesn't 'get Doctor who' while I don't like RTD and Moffat's drama-esque approach to the show. All signs point to Chibnall being twice as drama oriented but less knowledgeable about the show itself.

I've always felt like Moffat and his Gang had actually seen Doctor Who, they knew little details about the world and included them into their scrips.

I don't expect that from a bunch of police procedural writers.

they want to produce kino

You don't know how money works? Do you?

Same to you man ;) I think you'll enjoy your gift

That's not necessarily a bad thing though. The show needs to move on from endlessly referencing its back catalogue. I suspect Chibnall will drop in the occasional treat for fans but focus on new mythos and locations and that's great, IMO.

>generic runaround thriller better than the horror of Midnight and World Enough and Time

The last three episodes of Series 2 Torchwood is better than all of Series 4 and 10 episodes of Series 10.

Exit Wounds was garbage

>le evil brother storyline
>better than all of Series 4

To be fair half of Series 4 is forgettable as fuck.

The other half is GOAT though. Same with Series 3.

I can't hardly wait!

>I don't expect that from a bunch of police procedural writers.

I remember someone saying that Doctor Who's structure isn't all that different from a police procedural and personally I'm inclined to agree.

>most of

>tfw when you can't find TARDIS blue bobs, bobbles, and balls for your tree.
Funko Pop's TARDIS has been requisitioned for tree topping duty this year but the ornaments I have, the colour is off. Makes my autism flare up desu senpaitachi.

>interesting brother storyline
>better than le meta crisis