Is anyone else here affected by comics/cartoons in a motivational way?

Is anyone else here affected by comics/cartoons in a motivational way?

This seems fucking weird, I know, but I've been in a funk with all of this Captain America = Hydra shit. Cap's basically who I've modeled myself after since I was a kid, and now seeing him be a scumbaggy, backstabbing piece of shit for the better part of a year while I'm having a tough time with a lot of stuff is really fucking with my escapism.

Anyone else look to the medium for inspiration sometimes?

I'll occasionally reread All-Star Superman if my depression starts flaring up particularly bad, but otherwise, no.

You think that's bad try being an X-Men fan.

The release schedule of comics keeps me from sudokuing

Yes. Cap was one of the comics that molded my political thinking as a kid, and to see him treated this way really rustles my jimmies. That they're doing it at the height of his newfound popularity and relevance is doubly galling.

The SJWs using him to justify punching people peacefully expressing their (admittedly reprehensible) political opinions is doubly galling. Especially when it's clear they've never read a Captain America comic in thier lives.

Daredevil is pretty special to me. As a Catholic I respect and envy the way he can fucking take suffering and shit to no end at get back up. Why I hated Waiddevil, too much "muh swashbuckling" which was Matt's original story-type, but that was before Frank Miller turned his story into one of true value.

Feel similarly about Nightcrawler, but Marvel never fucking knows what to do with him.

Definitley, man. I've actually tried to express that to my friends before but it's hard to explain. The current state of comics affects my mood and state of mind in a huge way, like, new 52 got me really down, just felt kind of betrayed or something, and Rebirth really made me feel incredibly hopeful. That Wally/Barry hug and "how could I ever forget you" gave me chills.

Also Big Time on Amazing Spider-Man used to get me pumped a lot, just, the idea that Pete finally made it and was doing good in his life in most ways really resonated with me.

it's just a story user, not a real person

take what inspires from you the stories you actually like and ingrain it into how you carry yourself

forget all the rest cause you ain't got the time on this earth to worry about it

I hate how people consistently use this ONE, SINGLE, INDIVIDUAL issue to argue that Captain America would approve of ceding a platform to Nazis when literally the entire rest of his character history says otherwise.

It's an egregious outlier in Cap's history and it was caused by nothing other than Marvel's writers determined to make him as centrist as possible so as to not upset everyone, or in other words, to end up making a shitty false equivalence and probably making everyone upset. It pleases no one and also, fuck Nazis.

Really? Please show where Captain America opposed free speech for people legally expressing their opinion in peacetime.

amen brotha

Cap would be disgusted by both sides of the political divide.

Doubly so when things are starting to look like Weimar Germany, with fascists and communists assaulting each other in the street. Cap wouldn't want a repeat of that.

>Cap's basically who I've modeled myself after since I was a kid, and now seeing him be a scumbaggy, backstabbing piece of shit for the better part of a year while I'm having a tough time with a lot of stuff is really fucking with my escapism.
I'm the same way with Superman. I mean I've bounced around with others, but as I became an adult, Superman was who I locked onto. Suffice it to say, the DCEU has been a wringer for me.

I wish the Allies in World War II just ignored the Nazis. They should still have free speech. :/
If you fight the Nazis then you're just as bad. :/

I'm the same way with Superman and I love the DCEU. Clark is a crusader for the downtrodden in Dawn of Justice. It's not given as much focus as other parts, but it's very much there.

The important thing to remember is that the character you feel so strongly about is still there, recorded in the comic books from the past. With such a long history, there are going to be periods where you don't really recognize them, but they will tend to go back to what you know and love.

I live my life trying to be like Superman, helping out where I can with little to no regards to my own self-interest.

Sometimes I fail, but I think that's okay, nobody can be perfect, I'm always going to be a little selfish, but I think striving towards a noble goal can sometimes be noble of itself.
I also take a lot of inspiration from the Flash. I love his idea of not being hung up on the past and trying to keep moving forward. My life is in such a place the last two years I've had no assurance of where I can stay, who I can trust and who I am, but BArry reminds me I need to stay positive and always focus on moving on and being happy with what you have.
DC comics have probably saved my life these last two years, and I'm grateful for that.

I may have teared up while writing this

Flex Mentallo helped me beat depression.

They mostly just depress me since I can't draw

J.M. DeMatteis' run on Cap is second only to Gruenwald's as greatest of all time. Where do you come off insulting him and his work like that?

I hope things pick up for you, user.

he's insulting one issue. no one bats 1000

That's literally asking for it though. Maybe don't get invested in a property whose whole point is being "hated and feared" if you don't want to see your heroes get shat on relentlessly.

He's insulting one of the greatest issues of his run.

>comparing total war to free speech

fullretard.jpg

Being an x men fan is truly suffering. No matter what character(s) you are a fan of .if they are popular they get thrown into everything, get "replaced" with a minority version, or have something "newsworthy" happen to him for the sake of drama. if they are lesser known they usually die or disappear when they get rid of all the team books after 10 issues for new teams so they can get new #1s out.

Or the x men get thrown into the background or get made into a "villain" to try to promote interest in inhumans.

>Be Spider-Man fan all my life
>Now he's a CEO

Tfw im proud of him for making it big but meanwhile I have nothing

I totally get what you mean. the darker daredevil was way better. This is why I can't say I dislike Bendis because his daredevil run is legitimately one of the greatest runs I have ever read.

Waid's run wasn't bad and honestly I think it was kind of needed as a bit of a palette cleanser after the previous runs. We hard dark dark dark and if we would have gotten more dark it would have gotten stale and probably less well received. Plus I'm glad they gave a reason in the book as to why he was acting like a swashbuckler. I forget exactly what was said but it was something like "I got married but she got forced into a mental hospital, I had a literal demon inside me, and everyone found out my secret identity. Not much worse can happen to me so I either live with it or get upset about it and if I get upset about it I'll end up with another demon again".

>This is why I can't say I dislike Bendis because his daredevil run is legitimately one of the greatest runs I have ever read.

Then you just hate current Bendis, not the old one, I'm in the same boat, loved Ultimate Spider-Man (Peter) but I will say I hate him now if asked because right now he is trash compared to his old self

Without getting too bloggy my dad was a heroin addict and my mom was addicted to pills and Batman helped show me that as long as you prepare you can do anything. I now have a college degree and am making more money than most of my friends. He definitely helped to inspire me at a young age.

Are ppl still arguing about this? You know he only did it to infiltrate Hydra right??? Capt betray his country? Never,... LMAO

This thread is so good and pure. I'm so glad to see people calling out the true heroes, Cap, Supes, Spidey, etc and not edge lords Punisher and Deadpool. Threads like these are why it's so important things like Hydra Cap don't happen, and my only hope with that is that it will turn itself around and be a good message and story or Caps true nature winning through even under reality changing effects. That Caps inner strength is great enough to do the impossible.

I love these characters greatly but story and character that has resonated and driven me to be a better person is Simon from Gurren Lagann. Truly is believing in yourself, your ability to accomplish things we most desire so important. Always working and trying means you always have a chance where as giving means it garunteed failure.

Is this a youtube comment you saw or something?

No, i just thought ppl are still on this,... Don't get ignorant,...

You know ironic shitposting is still shitposting, right?

Flex Mentallo is the one i turn to for that same purpose.

I like Deadpool because he is a fuck up who still tries to do something good from time to time, he is no hero, but he has his moments
No matter how fucked up you are you can still do good and that is a great thing

Just remember Cyclops was right user

OMD kind of fucked me a bit as a teenager.
If Peter Parker, the idealized best of us
>Can't make a marriage, with his literal soulmate no less, work.
>Is a loser living at home well into his late 20's
>Goes around making deals with not-satan
Then what hope was there for the rest of us?

Started reading Hellboy when I was around 12-13 and had some autistic tendencies (Even got tested for it). His stoicism in the face of weird shit out of his control seemed really cool to my younger self, and it did influence me into generally reacting to the unexpected better. I was actually able to mature out of it once this hurdle was overcome.

I've been out of the tunes. Have they already outed this Hydra bullshit for the brain washing/clone/double ruse/whatever it actually is, or are they still pretending that this is for real?

He was Cosmic Cube'd. It'll be undone after Secret Empire, but he's been Hydra since he was a kid and did shit like leak intel to the Nazis in WW2 while he was Cap.

This is retarded beyond any level, how could anyone buy it after literally decades of Cap actively fighting Hydra?

>He was Cosmic Cube'd
Do you not get how the Cube works?

Relatively. Are you implying that Hydra basically "retconned" him?

What really makes me mad is this is happening in Kirby's 100th anniversary.

As if shelving the Fantastic 4, shitting up the Inhumans, putting out awful X-Men and everything else being irrelevant wasnt enough, they had to go and make Cap a Fascist.

That's exactly what happened, yeah.
The cube became a little girl and Red Skull befriended her and got her to change reality for him. She made it so Steve's mom was Hydra and indoctrinated him when he was a kid or something like that.
It's definitely dumb as shit, but it's not absurd or anything.

Though in this changed reality Cap and Red Skull are still enemies for some reason.

Meh, it could have worked fine for a what if, in regular continuity it's just a waste of time.

Waid was fair in his explanation of it; I still dislike the fun in a "objectively good/subjectively bad" sense. I definitely didn't recognize Waid's Matt as someone I identified with and the "Here comes Moleman!" Type of villains held no interest to me.

I'm glad that he's miraculously avoiding the SJW abortions happening in every other major Marvel title, but I find Soule's stories boring.

Have you even read the book? Because a deep cover triple agent story would be interesting. This however, is not a deep cover triple agent story. Cap literally thinks he was nurtured on the tits of Hydra since he was a child

How about a French person reading American comics in 2003?

>a waste of time
I wouldn't really call one of the only good comics Marvel is currently putting out "a waste of time."

I think it's hard not to if you really love the medium. I look to it's characters for inspiration pretty much all the fucking time.

Why do people think that giving a false viewpoint a platform is somehow doing that viewpoint, or its constituents, a favor? If a person is wrong, shine a light on them so everyone else can see how wrong they are too. Let rationalism win the day. These frantic Gestapo-style tactics of beating down viewpoints so they don't get precious airtime betrays a belief that humans are basically these drones that bop around to whoever's the loudest.

Give the Nazis their platform to protect free speech, yeah, but then take your own platform and fucking crush them. That's how a proper human handles an opposing viewpoint, not by sweeping it under the rug.

It's because some people want to wear the jackboot, while feeling morally self-righteous at the same time.

This gives them the excuse to be violent bullies while also getting the rush of being good, virtuous liberals.

Strong agreement.

Because Cap's strong moral foundation wasn't retconned, so he can't accept Red Skull's terrible actions.

>Red Skull made friends with a little girl to turn Cap into a nazi
>not absurd

this-literal-who that I read when i was 15. Now I'm a phisics student in my third year in college. helped alot during my teenager years

yes
spider-man = never give up
superman = there's always a way
etc
that's just a storyline, man

Same.

Comics got me out of a deep depression after a really bad breakup, and the fact that a new Batman story comes out every week makes me very thankful.

However, I feel really bad for Cap fans as I wouldn't be picking up Batman if they dragged him through the garbage like they are with Cap.

Spider-Man helped me a lot through all the years of Bullying.
The F4 and Superman always cheer me up.

Many comics motivate me to jerk it

Many such cases

Honestly, I gotta agree with this. There were many times where I had hit rock bottom and the only thing kept me from giving up on life was "I can make it one more Wednesday." Every other day of the week may be awful, but if I could just make it to the next Wednesday then I'd get a brief escape from the pain.

Bendis' DD was the first major DD run I read so it will always hold a special place in my heart

>End of Days
my nigga

i fucking hate it when writers mess with the personality and spirit of characters i like