Savage Dragon

I picked up Savage Dragon #1 earlier today at a flea market since I'd heard good things about it and having a #1 issue is always neat.

Just finished reading and fucking loved every bit of it.

What can you tell me about this series?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uL6YEgFWJMI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

By reading the first issue you can tell Sup Forums way more about Savage Dragon than Sup Forums can tell you.

It's basically Invincible (in fact, Kirkman has admitted to pulling a lot of influence from it including his big first arc plot twist), but with an alien reptile man cop who is also Omni Man, but less of a dick.

I liked it but it kinda goes retarded after a while. But then it eventually jumps back when its about family man Dragon trying to do his best. Also "freaks" being second class citizens and how impossible it is to find honest work pushing them to a life of crime. Everything involving the alien invasions and fucking "Darklord" is so crap.

Later on Dragon gets extremely nsfw and stuffed with sex and nudity. Also Larsen gets lazy with the art, maybe hes getting old but I think it might be time to get a new artist.

The comic is mostly about Dragon's son now with old Dragon being a side character. Also I'm 100% sure Larsen liked to play CoC with Dragon jr's dick being literally addictive to his girlfriend.

Well, don't spoil it for me, but does he find out where he came from? Does he get a name other than Dragon?

I'm on the second issue and I love it so far too.

It's a little fucking weird that they had a TMNT crossover only one issue in but whatever man, you ever seen the animated series? I wonder if it's worth checking out.

You're going to be disappointed when you find out what he really is. Like, cosmically, irreversibly disappointed.

I have the first 10 issues, bought them when they came out too. It was shit then and it's shit now.

Wasnt he a alieum king with amnesia or some shit?

It goes from good, to so bad its good, to honestly really good, back to so bad it's good, to retarded.

Quality wise it's a wild ride. It's more confusing than DC with the Crisis' after a while.

Worth continuing if you like it. But oh geez.

Holy shit i faded out in the 190's and now I want to catch up for the shear confusion of it all.

Jesus fuck, this is cringeworthy.

Fuck man Ive been wondering who this was for so many years. I had this comic when I was a kid but had no idea what the fuck was going on.

A LONG way into it. Larsen really didn't want to bother. But he eventually came up with something for an Image 10th Anniversary book. (Somethong like that) And even more years later, he had that one off story actually matter, so it got printed as, I think, issue 0.

user it says it on the cover.

Couldn't remember the name

Shit I dropped Savage Dragon and somehow this thread is making me nostalgic for it. The book is full of let downs and dumb decisions, but somehow it's so.... quintessentially comic booky it's endearing.

The fact that she goes straight from a cliche Japanese sailor schoolgirl outfit for kink reasons to this is.. wow Larsen is nuts.

Whatever happened with the goth loli version of Angel that was with Mr. Glum?

She died

Yeah but when? And how much creepier and pervy did it get?

it had a cartoon in the 90s that was pretty cool
youtube.com/watch?v=uL6YEgFWJMI

only 1 season though, and no spikefu because she hadn't been created yet

Issue 208 if the wiki is correct. Basically all she did was fuck Glum in random outfits.

Larsen is a madman and I can't tell what's serious, and what's tongue in cheek with him.

Right now in the comic dragon jr. Has three kids all concieved at the same threeway. One with angel who aborted it but it survived one with a black chick who it killed chestburster style and one with his wife.

I should note that if you are going to start Savage Dragon from the beginning, you need to not buy the original mini and instead, by the 1996 director's cut of the mini-series (simply called "The Dragon") because of the whole Image Zero debacle.

(For those who forgot; Image #0 was, like the later Image 10th Anniversary HC) a "Jam Issue" with everyone who founded Image doing a short story with their characters. And Larsen, like with the HC, made the stupid ass mistake to make his short story a major fucking series changing event that you HAD to read to get the major status quo change story. Which never came out because Larsen's studio mates were lazy shits who couldn't get their stories done on time).

Image #0 was supposed to have the murder of Savage Dragon's girlfriend, orchestrated by her mother via using her ex-boyfriend as the assassin because she decided to kill her daughter than allow her to be a race mixing slut who was fucking a green skinned freak.

This was important because the dead boyfriend came back as the Freak, a body possessing entity of hate towards Dragon (and later merges with the mother from hell for even worse trouble for Dragon) and Dragon spends the first 8-9 issues of the ongoing depressed as fuck because of his girlfriend's murder.

The Dragon mini-series basically is the only way to read the Savage Dragon story planned for Image #0 as Larsen incorporated the pages into his director's cut version of the original mini

The 90s cartoon was super-duper dumbed down for the kids but tolerable, in so far as they stripped the concept down to its basics to make it work.

Compared to Wildcats, which needlessly changed shit and dumbed down everything to pander to censors (or Youngblood, which never saw the light of day because Rob refused to let them censor shit), it's probably the best non-Pay cable adaptation an Image comic ever got

>It's a little fucking weird that they had a TMNT crossover only one issue
2 crossover issues and they appeared in 2 SD issues as well (issue 2 and 22). Larsen wished he can brought them in issue 222 but he couldn't.

Savage Dragon is a modern classic.

I wonder if Dragon will take back his book or is it just a ruse

Yup. His subordinates left him on Earth to be free from his tyranny.

Can't wait for the Savage Dragon-centric Image event of the year....

WHY WON'T HE HIRE AN INKER?!

I know he seems to just not give shit in general anymore but he used to be so great in terms of composition and paneling that it really stood out just how much he always sucked with fine details when he inks his own pencils. It always used to be like that but it has gotten much worse over the years. His art would be elevated so much by a skilled inker who fills in the details and takes out the chicken scratch.

I mean if you look especially on full body shots in small panels, it looks like a drunk elementary schooler drew it.

Im pretty sure its just so he can float the costs of making it himself without having to pay someone else. Its not exactly a big seller.

But yeah the art has been extremely sloppy for years and its really not as good as it was when he first started. It kinda reminds me of Frank Miller.

>Right now in the comic dragon jr. Has three kids all concieved at the same threeway. One with angel who aborted it but it survived one with a black chick who it killed chestburster style and one with his wife.
Jesus. Well that will teach them to fuck aliens I guess.

It's a very long ride that's fun but never goes anywhere.

>That page

I've wanted to read SD, but that honestly scares me off a bit. That is a terrible page.

How long do I have until it turns to shit?

I'm disappointed that they decided to go monogamist only a handful of chapters before going 18+

>no angel lewd

What a weird stretch of chapters that was

It happens super late in the series

I don't recall outfit changes but this did happen