Enjoying the new SJ season, but there are a few things that have been bugging me about it

Enjoying the new SJ season, but there are a few things that have been bugging me about it.

>Editing in a lot of places feels very odd and out of place. Examples being in the newest episode where Jack knees one of the assassins in the face and then cuts to him dodging the one assassins with the knives. Episode 2 also features Jack looking off at something after having his dagger he got from Scaramouche kicked off, and then cuts to him having some of his hair cut off out of nowhere. What was the point of showing Jack just standing there doing nothing?

>Sound design is a little off. In the new episode Jack was hiding under the snow to ambush the Daughters of Aku. Wouldn't his voice be muffled if this were the case? Could you even realistically hear his voice at all if that were the case?

>That fog seemed WAY to convenient. In the Season 4 episode where Jack fights that robot ninja, the day is slowly turning into night, so it makes sense to use the concept of lighting to hide Jack. But the fog in the fight scene from last night comes out of fucking no where.

>Some of the art is janky. Why did Jack have blood all over him when he was in the cave when the blood was only coming from his waist? Was it an illusion or something? Where did all those other cuts even come from? They weren't out all present in the temple scene from episode 2.

Aside from that everything else is pretty much good. If any of you guys wanna defend SJ on this then go right ahead.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!RqpBWSwQ!RU6Zqhit7Qj0OBe8Iue_hwDFNBW0AAJ4_1tMsRqrCV4
mega.nz/#!L91AybwD!dpN0n-R7-ldTByyCliCbID9WzBzXuCp0NklBIlm2oF0
youtube.com/watch?v=30yZI_g-OxE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There's really not that much to defend, imo. It's a cartoon. Yes, it takes itself seriously sometimes, but it's still just visual art. The blood on Jack was probably made either as a metaphor or just because it looked stylish and cool. The voice problem is just a shortcut they took so they could make the scene as it is. I haven't noticed any glaring errors in editing that really stuck out, either.

Lower budget and/or more rushed production.

>Where did all those other cuts even come from? They weren't out all present in the temple scene from episode 2.

River.

Water can't cut you.

rocks in the river

This Even then, those looked more like cuts from knives then cuts from debris in the river.

Probably. They're making what they got worthwhile, though.

It being visual art doesn't really excuse it from being out of place and awkward. And shortcuts don't really excuse anything, either.

yeah, but there were rocks and the log probably splintered

>Episode 2 also features Jack looking off at something after having his dagger he got from Scaramouche kicked off, and then cuts to him having some of his hair cut off out of nowhere. What was the point of showing Jack just standing there doing nothing?
Nigga, he barely had any time to react.

And? That doesn't excuse the editing of just his face and then doing a 360 cut to his hair getting cut off.

Those cuts came from nearly the entirety of activity in Episode 2. Yes the stab wound was from the end but you don't get every bad-end moment of action Jack suffered in episode 2 without scrapes and bruises. Seriously they violent stripped him. He nearly died in that sarcophagus, or the time he tripped down a pile of stone rubble, all of the various hits, etc etc etc

OP doesn't even know that "do nothing" is like 50% of a Samurai Jack episode's runtime.

>Why did Jack have blood all over him when he was in the cave when the blood was only coming from his waist
It's called artistic license.

You mean the scene the shows him not see his attacker but sense the incoming swing and dodge away getting his beard cut in the process?

The close in face shot shows there's no focus on any individual attacker while also showing he's trying to detect, see, hear, feel his attackers. Next shot is right in line with that, a fraction of a heartbeat later when he reacts on some data non-visual and avoids the blade.

rip beard

>critically overthinking a cartoon

When did Sup Forums become Sup Forums

I don't agree with any of these.

Episode 2 was a symphony of hits and injuries.

You assume he was in the snow when he was talking before the blinding white snow/fog rolled in. You however don't know where he is. The storyteller didn't feel you worthy to know and kept you as ignorant as the sisters. Was he always there? Did he move in after the fact? He's Jack.

This cartoon can be as much about what isn't shown as what is.

And the closeup to beard dodge shot was already explained. He was searching but failing to see. He wasn't just standing there doing nothing. He was getting blitzed and trying to find bearing, perch in the chaos. He barely got that beard dodge off and that was without seeing her strike start.

Stop acting like because it fits a certain form of entertainment then it shouldn't be taken seriously and criticized as being serious. Cartoons can have a lot of effort and thought put into them.

Why shouldn't you think about it? Because it's a cartoon and that somehow invalidates anyone who says that it's mediocre?

Shut up faggot.

I thought the cuts were just from ep2 and illuminated for cinematographic effect

almost everything you posted was for the sake of art
shitty and convenient excuse, I know, but Samurai Jack was /always/ a series made for cinematography and artistic visuals
SJ is a show made by Art degree majors, for Art degree majors. Always has been

They could have fixed a lot of it in episode 3 if they had a style progression. Start with the extra stylization they did with the blood and Jack's blue man (for example show him floating in the river in a very stylized way, like a red blob in a dark blue stream or whatever, I don't art) and then the more he heals, the more the show returns to its normal stylization.

It was just too inconsistent, but still the episode is very good so it's just nitpicking.

>That fog seemed WAY to convenient
Jack has spirit powers, the spirits of his ancestors protect him.

the key word was OVERanalizing

Did these things become a detriment to your enjoyment of the show? If not, you're nitpicking for the sake of finding something wrong.

>sane people saying this on a cartoon/comic discussion board

What is over analyzing to you?

Why do you autists over analyze shit that isn't even important?

>That fog seemed WAY to convenient
They are next to a river. Bodies of water tend to produce lots of fog at times.

The editing has /always/ been like that in Samurai Jack, you poser.

Everything else is a stylistic choice.

The blood all over him is easily explainable as a mental thing between jack and the wolf

there is a mega of the new episode ?

bump neeed one too

mega.nz/#!RqpBWSwQ!RU6Zqhit7Qj0OBe8Iue_hwDFNBW0AAJ4_1tMsRqrCV4

Bigger res.

mega.nz/#!L91AybwD!dpN0n-R7-ldTByyCliCbID9WzBzXuCp0NklBIlm2oF0

thank you man

>1080p bigger than 1080p

The answer to literally all of those points is stylistic choice

Sup Forums in a nutshell.

I just check'd the file size, senpai.

It's called art lads, are you so autistic that you need to analyse the beauty out of everything? The fog, the snow and the blood weren't mistakes or issues, they were stylistic choices because they look fucking cool.

this. SJ has always been big on metaphors and style. if these things are bugging you enough to the point where you need to make a post about it on Sup Forums, you shouldn't be watching the show at all.

you guys will bitch about anything

Is there a blog or RSS feed to keep up with this somewhere?

I can't believe anyone would complain that the environment in an action series is too convenient

I think the budget is just REALLY REALLY low. That's why we are seeing so many small, amateurish animation errors. They probably don't have the budget for poses / correcting poses

anyone?

Hilarious to see autists try and reconcile stylizations in a hyper-stylized action cartoon as if it was some documentary. Samurai Jack has always, ALWAYS put style above realism, that's the whole point. That's why it's a cartoon and not live action.

Knife cuts are deeper and bleed much more. Debris will inflict several shallow/inconsequental scrapes

Just stop watching cartoons

Itll sound like a cop out but I let a lot of that shit fly right under the radar because I think of it more from an artistic standpoint.

very little in the sj universe looks or acts like its supposed to. things that arent geometrical are, color blend or dont in backgrounds in weird ways. Arguably than half the spectacle of SJ is the visuals. So a little bit of "that wouldnt really happen" or "how does that work" seems really pointless when wrapped up in the imagery or artistic presentation of it all.

and would you really have enjoyed it more, if say jacks voice was muffled in the snow and you couldnt understand what he was saying?

It maybe lazy writing, but you can afford to be lazy with certain things

I\m getting them from Kametsu forum.

>Ten most amazing anime swords

Not him, but over analizing is basically nitpicking beyond the point of common sense. A cartoon can be well thought out and put togther and still have a few glithces because, surprise, no matter how good a thing is, people who makes them are human and thus not perfect.

It's possible to do it without hating the show or turning it into a "LOL THE ANIMATORS MUST BE STUPID" gotcha moment. Some people just analyze things because it's fun, or to come up with justifications for various fanon theories.

Rule of cool.

Thankfully Genndy owns it.

thanks, I found that the download led to a guy on tumblr making the downloads and made an RSS feed from there

I kinda felt like Jack turned things around too easily. I mean, he's running scared and barely escaping every encounter with the Daughters in Episode 2, and then he chills with the wolf bro, remembers what his father taught him, and then he can take them all on at once. He even deliberately throws away his weapon to take the last three on barehanded!

But that was just my knee-jerk sentiment. He'd been ambushed and surprised by their skill, and he spent the whole time desperately trying to get his bearings. They still weren't really a match for him: he disarmed and killed the first one to engage him in single combat. Once he'd cleared his head, focused, and arranged a fight on his own terms, the odds were back in his favor. He wiped out half of them in his initial ambush, and then when he tired he drew them onto the fallen tree where they were forced to approach single-file so that he could handle the remainder individually, knowing his personal strength and skill was greater than theirs.

Those are flat out nitpicks. What bothers me is in episode three when jack has the bat and is looking at the surviving sisters, one of them is the bat sister, even though right after its shown the only surviving sisters are daggers, chain, and spear.

senpai the flashback jack explains the whole fight he was holding back because he's afraid to kill a human. Once he knows they can't be convinced otherwise he goes right into Jack mode. It didn't bother me too much because in the Bounty Hunters episode he fights basically the greatest fighters in the world and defeats them in three sword swipes, and that was in an environment he couldn't control. I could imagine if he led Aku into a trap even he would basically be fucked.

Basically this. Jack's skills being superior to everyone else's is a staple of the show, with their being multiple occasions where he has been "defeated" by others, only for him to have the upper hand once he figures out what fight he is actually having. The single time we have met an entity capable of defeating a Jack fighting under his own term was the Guardian, and that was because the Guardian exists solely to be OP against pretty much everything else (although, the whole no more paths home makes me wonder if he was finally offed, but I can't imagine that being the case).

That said, anyone else got annoyed by the lack of mystery in the presentation? There was no purpose on revealing the nature and past of the Daugthers, nor how Jack lost his sword in the blatant manner they did. Jack has always been about subtlety combined with movement of high octane action, and watching Jack be surprised by the killing of the first daugther while we already knew she was human pretty much robbed it of any impact to me. Same with the sword.

Personally, I would have preferred if episode 2 had revealed the sword to be gone by the Daughters trying to take it from him, revealing a useless sword in the scabbard, and the backstory of the Daughters shown in episode 3, as we approach their defeat and now know they are humans skilled enough to almost kill Jack. This way the missing sword, the first daughter, and the fight with the others all carry more weight.

And, as a personal preference, I would have like the wolf's fight and the Jack fight to have interlaced more, but that's really not an improvement.

So Jack can kill Aku, right? It just didn't seem possible even with the sword. He always got away after being slashed enough.

Considering his father failed to kill Aku for whatever reason, I think Aku is basically like Ganon in that he{ll always come back once he gets unsealed.

>senpai the flashback jack explains the whole fight he was holding back because he's afraid to kill a human.
Except he didn't know they were humans in Episode two until he already had a knife in his gut.

Its not that its not important. It's that they can't infer anything.

>amateurish animation errors
Said the artless Sup Forums faggot. What are you simps complying about really? Complaining does not equal criticism.

not about these problems but since we dont have a fucking samurai jack general im posting it here
youtube.com/watch?v=30yZI_g-OxE
this was made by a fan.its surprisingly similar to the original series.

>this was made by a fan
Not sure if bait

Holy shit are people really freaking about SAMURAI JACK being heavily stylized and not utterly literal with its visuals?

The fuck is wrong with you people?

It LOOKS COOL thats all it is.

This. Rule of cool and rule of weird rule samurai jack.

so where are people getting the episodes for this from? I mean we've got nyaa.se for pretty much anything eastern so forgive me for being out of the know here.

or did everyone just watch it as it was streamed.

ah I feel stupid as I had scrolled past it in this very thread.

could you please be less of a cringey newfag you filthy weeaboo? lurk moar

There are mega links in this very thread.

Also, anyone else bothered about how the Daughters seemed to pull the weapons out of their ass? Or how the white forest got no foreshadowing? Something as simple as jack looking at the weather and leading them on until it look favorable would have done it.

In general, the Daughters were a waste, although I guess there's still more that could be done with the rest. I don't think those three died.

anyone got e03 edit?

yeah I mentioned that in my next post, I had scrolled past them the first time.
I'd take the advice seriously if this whole site wasn't a parody of itself at this point.

There was one in one of the many threads there is up right now.

>>Some of the art is janky. Why did Jack have blood all over him when he was in the cave when the blood was only coming from his waist? Was it an illusion or something? Where did all those other cuts even come from? They weren't out all present in the temple scene from episode 2.

A stylish choice to depict his fragmented and vulnerable psyche, as well the Dog's.

The only janky thing here is your analysis.

Was it me or in the first episide it felt like they cut some of that fight between Jack and scatting robot? He thrown that dagger at him and then suddenly after the explosion he got a giant sword while the robot just await his death defeated.

Yeah, I found that weird as well. It really makes it look like that.

Mega's for the other episodes?

Also, anyone else noticed they duplicated the kusarigama wielding one by mistake?

The largest problem I had is how easily he solved the murder conundrum. He's feverish, he feels like shit, then he remembers something his dad told him 60 years ago and he's OK.

I fully expected the episode would be through feverish nightmares and visions and the actual showdown to be ep 4, but I guess not

Look at the robot's neck. There's been little errors her and there, but you'll see that his neck is fucked up.

Ditto'ing this. I need to re-watch the second episode.

>no thick flail waving fish girl this season
Why live?

thirding this, the links that we had have been taken down. is there a better source for this?

It's still up for streaming, as far as I know.

where at? I can't get the adult swim stream to load but is there somewhere else?

Watchcartoononline had working streams last time I checked,

>He even deliberately throws away his weapon to take the last three on barehanded!
I just got that he drops the club because he needs balance.

Holy fuck it's like you're trying to hate this show to seem superior.
>why di blod?
Because it's symbolism faggot, can't you deduce the style behind it?
>sound design en reelism
It's a cartoon about a Samurai that resembles the Edo period fighting an evil wizard who sends him into a future that he's spent 50 years in and unchanged by time and you're concerned about sound realism?
>di foag?
Same two reasons as above
>di hayre?
Stylistic combat faggot.
Did you fail literature and English courses in high school and college? It's imagery, mood, symbolism, hyperbole, overall fancy ways of conveying fiction. This isn't an animated depiction of anthologies written in a Samurai's diary, this is a Gen Z kids show full of action, sci-fi, and fantasy picked up to finish the story arc.

>oh yeah, Jack should spend the rest of the series trying to fight these bitches because it's not like he's an overseasoned warrior stuck doing the same shit learning how to swiftly adapt and fighting formidable enemies for 50 years...

>That fog seemed WAY to convenient.
>Why did Jack have blood all over him when he was in the cave when the blood was only coming from his waist?
Because it looks cool, you nitpicking autist.

He's right about the fog, though. As cool as it looked, it stops just being something cool to look at when its clear they intent to show Jack is using it to his advantage. The fog allowed him to kill at least 2 of them, which, fine is fine, but it could have used better foreshadowing.

The nitpick about the blood is just pure autism, though.

New season is damn grace from God but it has animation errors up the ass.

You could make a game out of trying to spot the error.

Guess it had to have something from these generation of cartoons.

It's like when Goku takes off his weighted training clothing for the first time. Jack free to kill is an unstoppable machine.

Friendly reminder that Aku was right all along

Nigga you dumb.