Why don't video game movies work Sup Forums? The last "good" one was Mortal Kombat...

Why don't video game movies work Sup Forums? The last "good" one was Mortal Kombat. They have 1000's of stories to choose from with almost every genre available. It shouldn't be that hard. Books get made into movies all the time. Why not movies?

What game's would you make if you could.
I would make
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Max Payne 3 would be cool but they already made Man On Fire

The entire events of Starcraft 1 being made into a 2 hour movie would be fucking amazing. To see some of those maps played out by a good director could be visually stunning. It would need to be entirely designed by the Blizzard Team though. No Hollywood meddling.

Also, doesn't Pokemon technically count?

my GOD silent hill was fucking awful. I was a super fan of the original game, that movie fucking killed me. What a fucking load of trash.

They made a movie with Red didn't so yea

Give it 10-15 years. They'll be the next IP source for branded tentpoles post comicbook films. They will work when filmmakers and audiences and studio execs are ready for them. You need a generation who thinks of videogames 100% unironically as legit forms of narrative, not reflex toys like Space Invaders.

The main problem is that they have to appeal to both a general audience and to an already existing fan-base.

Otherwise, you get an "art-film" that's obscure as shit and forgotten by all but a few fat nerds who'll never mention it in the light of day. Or, it's another piece of dime-a-dozen normie trash.

People will complain one way or the other. They know who they are. But to be honest, Silent Hill was well received by critics and it even gets a lot of love around here.

For the millionth time, just stick to the fucking plot
>muh creative twist
>muh DOOM with no hell lel

The Silent Hill movie isn't too bad.

Max Payne was probably the most painful for me. It's just a simple mystery how do fuck that up?

Video games are absolute garbage.

/lit/ here and most movies do too, but still. If it's made for manchildren it's horrible. Let's be honest.

I didn't want to generalize when I made the post so i looked up the scores for these movies. Mortal Kombat still has the highest at 34%

I can prove it, too. Open any one of these threads and count the REEEs.

But then, I've been wrong before.

the pyramid head scenes were great

everything else though

Silent Hill was great, my theater loved it.

There's some really good shit in video games that would make for fantastic films.
Mass effect if done right can stand shoulder to shoulder with Star Wars and Star Trek.
Uncharted can be the next Indiana Jones
Deus Ex can fill the void for movies like Bladerunner
Dead Space could make for a fantastic Scifi horror film
The well is so deep it makes me kinda sad how much untapped potential there is in video games

The story of Star Wars is the hero's journey. Wow, revolutionary.

Also, if you already have those movies what's the point in making them again? There isn't one.

There's an Elder Scrolls CU there somewhere, and Fallout is one of the most original ideas for a universe around. It could hit somewhere between Mad Max, Star Wars and the irreverence of GotG.

there's like 7 stories total so what your point.

>*follow the exact same plot that made the vidya succesful to make a 2h adaptation*
"Gee how boring, we all knew what would happen, didn't engage with it as I did with vidya, plus they crammed all up in 120m and turned out confusing"

>*focus on creating a consistent 2h story with the main layout from the vidya but not following the same story/adding new stuff *
"Gee, why did they have to MAKE UP a story when they had such great base material¿? the film was slow and the new plot didn't fit with the game narrative, it was something else, don't put the vidya name on it, etc."

There's no such thing as vidya movie kin-

Yes, I know. Start with the Greeks.

It would be awesome for them to squeeze out an Infamous movie before the Superhero bubble bursts. I think it would be unique enough to set itself apart from DC and Marvel and it wouldn't be bogged down with trying to create a universe

Stalker is one of the most well regarded movies on review sites. And there's the Clint Eastwood Grand Turimo movie too. Not quite as well reviewed, but way better than a typical video game adaptation. It's hardly unheard of for these kinds of movies to work.

A Xenogears movie would be cool

>Stalker is one of the most well regarded movies on review sites
Stalker video game is based on a movie.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is based on Roadside Picnic... Is this post a joke? Are you joking? Please, tell me you're joking. It's not based on a video game...

Good filmmakers take no interest in video game adaptations. That's all there is to it. And then when one of them actually does people trash the movie anyway.

Gran Torino is not a video game adaptation either.

Have you seen the trailer for this? It looks like absolute trash.
I thought it was going to be interesting when it seemed like she was just racing some goons to a treasure because it was the one treasure her father never got before he died.I was somewhat on board but then they talked about saving the world. Why can stakes be personal in these films they have to jump to save the world.

lol good one man

Underrated desu

>andrei tarkovsky played a video game back in the 1970s and made a movie about it
weeeeeeew that's some good bait

I'm actually surprised Hollywood doesn't steal more premises and settings from video games without actually doing any adaption. There is lots of cool shit in video games that would work great in standalone movies without having to do an actual adaption. I mean, Logan did it to some extend already, but why isn't this more widespread?

Postal and Tomb Raider are good. You just have shit taste.

see

Here's the thing. Nobody that makes these movies are interested in properly adapting the material (whether or not you think the material is good is irrelevant). All they're after is guaranteed bucks from name recognition. As long as that doesn't change. we'll never get an enjoyable vidya based movie.

This was actually good. I have no idea about the game whatsoever but the execution was cool.

Hollywood is dying anyway. Let's hope The Witcher Netflix series is going to do well. I know it's technically based on the books, but it's still the video games that made it popular.

I think DOA: Dead or Alive was kinda good. Silent Hill was ok also. Doom, Agent 47 bad but somewhat watchable. Mortal Kombats, Resident Evils, Max Payne, Prince of Persia and Dead Rising were fucking horrible.

They're usually cash-ins made by passionless people just trying to bank on a game's popularity, stuff the most serious people in Hollywood don't want to touch because they can smell the bullshit from miles away. Also most videogames have very simple or barebones plots and characterizations that in a straight adaptation just wouldn't be enough on their own, so chances are that even if you get a decent script and passionate director they'll change shit to compensate, which will annoy the audience they're trying to pander to because most fanboys are idiots (as a big fan of the SH series the first movie was fine for example, i can accept it's take on the series because at least the end result isn't an incomprehensible mess like the entire fucking RE trilogy)

Because vidya is still relatively young, once the next generation of directors who grew up playing videogames comes we will get vidyakino, just like comic books.

Still waiting on the Metroid movie
>Someone will die if they miscast Samus

>Deus Ex can fill the void for movies like Bladerunner
if they make this they will definitely go for retarded plot about augmented people instead of redpilled crackpot conspiracy theories

>why doesn't interactive movie imitation doesn't end up well as a movie?

>interactive movie imitation

Alright here we go

It's a shame that the literal real-life version of Samus Aran is with us today, in her prime, and we're ages away from a Metroid film.

My man I need you to reply to me. Are you serious?

Exactly. Same thing happened with Sam Raimi : reads the book as a kid, grows up to make the movie.

We're only 'just' getting to the point where adults aren't ( necessarily ) embarrassed about video games.

That Need for Speed movie was surprisingly good for a videogame movie

I really don't see the point to make a movie about a videogame that was already trying to recreate feels from movies. Metroid was the developers trying to recreate what they felt by watching Alien and the Silent Hill games were heavily inspired by movies such as Jacob's Ladder or Lost Highway. Same for the MGS videogames, a mix between Rambo and Escape from New York.