Was it right for Zootopia to beat Moana in every way...

Was it right for Zootopia to beat Moana in every way? Is there any point in trying to highlight underrated cultures and historical events through song and creative animation when you can just have cute animals do people things?

Other urls found in this thread:

smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/how-story-moana-and-maui-holds-against-cultural-truths-180961258/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

its pocahantas and lion king all over again

Cute animals doing people things have always been popular.

Name 1 (one) thing Pocahontas did better than the Lion King

but when you closely, it's more like Kingdom of the Sun vs Dinosaur

John Smith's father wasn't killed by his brother

Zootopia was a far better movie.
How is this even up for debate?

Zootopia was just better.

Lion King was also better.

Moana is clearly superior than both the lion king & zootopia because it's one of the very few Disney films where the Main Character has no love interest

That's fucking dumb.
Also:
>Zootopia
>love interest

haven't watched Moana but Zootopia was probably the most overrated movie of 2016

Oh come on. Have you ever seen a buddy cop movie before?

Kind of hard to flat out compare them because ones a musical and one isn't. I enjoyed Moana much more though

I'll tell you good buddy cop flick. Dirty Pair Project Eden. Its anime though

Disney shouldn't have released their two best modern animated films the same year

Who cares, they are both good, it comes down to semantics in the end over which you prefer.

Are you fucking retarded?

They both probably looked like shit pre-release.

>So did anyone else notice that there's a big fat ugly fuck on the poster? Also >ocean Who greenlit this Waterworld 2.0?
>That's it, we've finally fallen to Dreamworks' level, selling out to the furries. You couldn't get one fucking celebrity to do the rabbit?

"buddy cop, but for kids" versus "their culture is superior to ours" faggotry.

Yeah, do the math.

Z2 better feature Judy yelling "I'm too cute for this shit"

I just watched moana yesterday and I am kind of split on which was better. Moana was a lot better than some here had led me to believe, but it was still pretty generic. Moana herself wasn't too interesting and it got pretty fucking annoying hearing her say her name over and over with all the self esteem bullshit. Maui was pretty good though. I didn't think the Rock would be as good a choice as he was. "You're Welcome" was also the only song that I really enjoyed, but the rest were good.
I still think Zootopia is better though, mostly because it was a bit more unique plot wise (just a bit). But it really is still up in the air for me anyway.

I felt the same, but the songs really grow on you after you listen to them a few times. Especially the one when they find the boats, crazy feels

Both sucked, but Moana sucked the most, boring and uninteresting, it pandered to the SJW with the pro-female donut steel OC.

On top of that, if she had the help of the literal ocean at her side, why even need the Demi-God in the first place?

And then it made said literal Demi-God useless in all aspects and more screamed as a movie "Girl Power" with an underhanded tone of men are bad (hence the Demi-God stealing the Heart of Life and then Moana returning it).

The movie is really close to the equivalent of the Hercules animated movie and except with focusing on Hercules as the protagonist, the story follows Meg, and she is the one who apparently stops Hades somehow with her "femininity".

Moana was enjoyable, but it was too self aware and it bothered me. The whole "You're a princess, animal sidekick and all", "Are you going to start singing?", "I'll talk about myself... in song form!", etc.

Also, the story got three acts, but the first one in the starting island was too long. Searching for Maui took like ten minutes.

>On top of that, if she had the help of the literal ocean at her side, why even need the Demi-God in the first place?

The ocean doesn't give a fuck about the islands dying, not really its jurisdiction. It just wants Moana's people to start sailing again. If you had seen the movie you'd know they explicitly say this.

>Their culture is superior to ours

How is that in any way implied in the movie you dumb fucking furrie?

>Was it right for Zootopia to beat Moana in every way?
Yes, the market has spoken and there is not something more moral and beautiful than millions of people voting with their wallet.

Moana is a very mediocre movie, user

>Searching for Maui took like ten minutes.
Then again, Zootopia is also guilty of this, making Judy's training scene where she goes from naive optimistic rookie, to depressed and thinking she can't succeed, to turn it all around and come out at the top of her class in like TWO minutes.

This is 'Didn't even watch the movie' tier of stupidity

>It just wants Moana's people to start sailing again
Also maybe get all the monsters out of its depths.

Eh, it worked fine. She's a go-getter so it was sort of inevitable.

Moana doesn't leave the island until the 40 minute mark, that's not OK. The LEGO movie was out of the city after like 15 minutes. They only have time to go to one island before getting to the final island, there's so much more that could've happened.

I hear they expanded on the island shit after they went to the polynesian triangle and were fascinated by what they saw.

I watched it twice, it was worse the second time, another donut steel moment was when Moana some how Mario leaped her ass up on the back of the Crab guy whilst said Crab goyum was digging and grabbed the hook and then somehow magically is able to get down lickety split whilst he was still digging into the ground, which he dug for like 30 seconds and got the Heart.

But she went back to too depressed thinking she can't succeed immediately out of training. The movie wasn't about academy training so why in gods name would they spend any more time on it than that had to? It'd be a really stupid thing to do and delay getting to the actual plot unnecessarily.

It never implied that, no. It's just telling the folktale oft told in Polynesian cultures and shits.

People got pissed after they took too many liberties with Hercules. Cultural fellatio > Cultural rape

>why in gods name would they spend any more time on it than that had to?
Who said they had to? I meant it felt rushed as fuck.

They could have made the time skip from her nine years old self after being hit by Gideon gone straight to the scene where the she gets her badge from the major and it would have been better.

>doesn't give a fuck about the islands dying

Well, if the people are dying, I think it would care, a lot, even then the ocean being alive seemed pretty fucking useless and unneeded in the story.

>not really its jurisdiction.

Bahahahahah, gimme a sec... bahahahahahahaha, the ocean is the majority and islands minority, hell, in a realistic sense the ocean could just sink the hell out of any island, I'd say that's in it's jurisdiction. Along with that the ocean could just bum rush the fuck out of the angry magma chick and just be done with it.

>It just wants Moana's people to start sailing again.
>If you had seen the movie you'd know they explicitly say this.

It doesn't make any sense in the fucking slightest, and don't give me that "it's all magical" bullshit", I guess the ocean just wants to get off on humans surfing it's crotch zone some more.

The story was shit, both of them, but Moana takes the cake by a long shot. At least Zootopia could stick to and understand it's story.

Dojt know why, i cant name a single movie that doesnt shit all over Greek mythology. Maybe because its the most known so Hollywood thinks they got to change it up.

Just give me my monster killing, wife slaying, gay fucking Hercules.

>Searching for Maui took like ten minutes.
Holy shit, i checked and she crosses the reef at the minute 32 mark, and then wakes up at Maui's island at the 35:30 mark.

THREE MINUTES AND A HALF to finish the first part of her epic quest.

>Just give me my monster killing, wife slaying, gay fucking Hercules.

It's not like Hollywood is gay-washing and LGBTQ'ing everything it can grab it's hands on.

>THREE MINUTES AND A HALF to finish the first part of her epic quest.

On top of that too, if I may add to your comment, that the majority of their journey point was talking about useless shit, and pretty boring and empty dialogue in usually a empty ocean with nothing going on. It was visually boring as fuck.

How hard could it be, there is a giant fucking sign in the sky that says "MAUI IS RIGHT FUCKING HERE."

1) people don't care about about 1 dimensional cultures that don't have interesting stories and history to draw from. Pacific islanders have big heads, wayfinding, and volcanos. That's their schtick. Its a good set piece but they lack a long term history to draw a big background from. Asian and european cultures have a lot of history to draw interesting characters, set pieces, and archetypes from. What do you have for archetypes in the pacific islands? Hula girls and big dudes? Set pieces? tropical island beach #3, nondescript volcano. historical figures? kamehameha, I don't know.

animals are cute and you can throw a racial caricature into whatever backdrop you want. win/win. Appropriate whatever you want.

If the next "Hercules " flick doesn't have him pegging Iolaus then i am done.

>It was visually boring as fuck.
The ocean scene, sure, but Maui's and Tamatoa's songs are some of the most visually appealing scenes in modern Disney animation.

The sign is "Maui is in this direction", and is only visible during the night. They made the ocean get her sorry ass into that island because otherwise she would have fucking died in the middle of nowhere.

As bad as that was (and it wasn't too grating), it doesn't compare to Maui's off screen change of heart. That bugged the shit out me. He offers no explanation at all, doesn't even say he changed his mind or had an epiphany, he just comes back.

It was called Alexander and people didn't like it.

Pay closer attention next time, mini-me convinced him.

>but Maui's and Tamatoa's songs are some of the most visually appealing scenes in modern Disney animation.

Tamatoa's was decent, but the entire world of the monsters was boring as fuck too, the dark mask guy when she first enters the world was actually pretty damn good. Tam's lair was mildly interesting, he as a character was VERY interesting, the bioluminescence was amazing, though all I could imagine him being was something along the lines of some self-absorbed wigger. But he got so little face time and just went back to Moana and Maui talking and interacting endlessly. How they escaped was bullshit as well with a guiser, underwater, that shot them up to the water and out of the water.

This too was annoying. Even worse, the jump wasn't shown and it happens in like less than two seconds

That bothered you and not how she escaped the cave in Maui's island?

Holy shit, I didn't even think about that one either...

According to the Disney wiki he never does. But I can't say for sure, I may have missed it.

I liked the David Bowie song in Moana. Now I'm trying to imagine Zootopia with songs.

>Is there any point in trying to highlight underrated cultures and historical events through song and creative animation....

Of course there is. But the medium lends itself to top notch cute animal bullshit movies, so when that's what you're competing with of course you're gonna take seccond best.

If you was to make some sort of sociological film study, there are better avenues in which you won't have to compete with adorable anthropomorphized animals doing cute shit.

>the dark mask guy when she first enters the world was actually pretty damn good

Looked just like those immortal enemies in Twilight Princess.

>But he got so little face time and just went back to Moana and Maui talking and interacting endlessly. How they escaped was bullshit as well with a guiser, underwater, that shot them up to the water and out of the water.

Did you like the song?

I don't know why it has to be so hard, even shit-tier flicks like brother bear had great music. Just get someone who's proven themselves, since Menkel is dead or close to it

>Was it right for Zootopia to beat Moana in every way?

Well yes. Extremely so. Moana was good, but it wasn't the best disney musical, it wasn't the best disney film about adventuring into the unknown, it wasn't the best leaving the nest style story, the protagonist isn't the best, the Rock's character is a huge fucking dick (no, it was not necessary to the plot/character progression, he literally tries to straight up murder Moana), it doesn't have the best environmentalist message, it's not the best anything. It's just good, which isn't bad, but it's not even the best jack of all trades.

Hell, even Atlantis, which gets completedly shafted to a massively unfair extent, had the better ancient culture mythos, exploration, and designs. The designs were pretty sweet mind you (bless you Mignola), but still.

Meanwhile Zootopia is a buddy cop movie in an era where that genre is massively lacking. I think the last good one was Hot Fuzz? It also shoves in a message about prejudice and subversion which is rather neat, and not in such a way it feels preachy or hard to swallow.

>Liking Atlantis

Discard. You do realize the ships in Moana were real, right?

It wasn't right for Frozen to beat Tangled and Princess and the Frog; at least they didn't call Moana something like Cast Away or Withered or Coconuted or something.

No, but they could have called it Wayfinder

It wasn't macbeth bastardize in a vain attempt to appeal to black people?

>attempt to appeal to black people
Come on man.

Moana only had some good songs (Maui's, the crabs, and the ancestor's sailing song)

But Zootopia was a better watch oscar-wise racial tolerance beats out strong women every time especially the oscars after "All White" year.

Kubo should've one, at least for best visuals.

Moana is a musical, which is already means it's not going to be better over anything. Even my love for brown girls can't change my mind.

>You do realise the ships in Moana were real, right?

As opposed to them riding on imaginary ships via the power of willforce? Because honestly that sounds more interesting.

Unless you mean that the ships in Moana have real life equivalents; in which case, that means squat diddly doo to 99 percent of watchers.

>But muh cultural history
>Expansion of knowledge

Are interesting, but mean very little if the movie isn't good enough to back it up. The fact that you cite real world accuracy as the main attraction of a disney film (especially this Disney film, with gods and whatnot), it's obviously not that great.

It's literally got nothing going for it other than the songs.

Say what you will about Atlantis, at least I gave a shit about Milo and most of the crew of the Nautilus. The few interactions they had with each other were gold. Even the villain was interesting, as were the twists.

There's literally half a dozen better series of Gods getting people to jog on and do shit themselves, including one that's currently airing, so why should I care about Moana? The aesthetic, cultural references and real world accuracy is there in the mechanics, but that doesn't make a movie.

reminder, this soon

>a buddy cop movie in an era where that genre is massively lacking. I think the last good one was Hot Fuzz?

Jump Street

Atlantis was a pretty good movie. Not the best, but it was decent enough, definitely better than Moan-more.

>WW1 super sized (almost steam-punk-ish) sub goes down to the depths of the ocean and finds a giant ancient battle mecha lobster that shoots lasers out of it's goddamn mouth.

>Then find themselves stranded in an underground cave, under the ocean, and proceeds to find remnants of a dead, ancient civilization where they encounter freaky creatures on the way.

>They finally find the natives who are apparently something along the lines of "original breed of humans" that can speak almost all dialects, and can live eternally.

>Goyum baddie wants the shekel crystal of Atlantis to sell to the Kaiser (oy vey!).

>Kill old king/emperor of Atlantis and steals the shekel crystal princess

>Princess becomes fused with shekel crystal: princes evolved to shekel crystal princess!

>WW1 era trench fighters in fucking gas masks and trench warfare gear start blowing shit up and leave.

>Ancient Atlantians discover their old tech and begin to shoot plasma cannons out of hover fish at the trench geared fighters.

>Fucking planes in a cave.

>Dog fight between the trench fighter planes and the hover fish ensues, in a dormant volcanic cave.

>They get the shekel crystal princess back and the volcano beings erupting.

>Ancient giant fighting robots with giant shield hands stop the magma.

>Fin

Verses

>Brown girl wants to go beyond the reef, doesn't want to be leader (daddy doesn't understand ME, but crazy granny does)

>No fish, no crops, no food

>Needs to find Heart of Life cus' everything is dying

>Finds a fat Demi-God (who really does nothing for the rest of the movie

>Proceeds to sail forever and talk forever

>Gotta go down to Crab Man's Shack in the monster realm to grab a hook

>Crab song (ME MILLIONTH DOLLAR!)

>Escape monster realm

>Gotta go find Mother Nature

>Magma chick (bow-chicka-wow-WOW!)

>Discovers Magma chick is Mother Nature

>"Prince of Eygpt" splits the ocean... er... I mean..., the ocean splits itself for Moana (and really hasn't done shit before or since)

>All is well, they sail again (Muh sailing culture?)

>Fin

>Verses

Funny thing is the Hawaiians/Polynesians disliked it because it's a very watered down version of their actual myths. Granted, Disney can't show Maui being killed by a death god's vaginal teeth while trying to steal eternal life for human kind.

And that's why someone else should have animated it.

That sounds badass.

>Funny thing is Hawaiians/Polynesians disliked it

By Polynesians you mean white guilt ridden tumblrinas right?

>Verses
>I'm gonna vaguely list the plotpoints of the movie in a hamfisted manner in an attempt to hate on it

Why are autists on Sup Forums so desperate to hate on this movie?

Bellwether was better than Tamatoa

Read the rest of the thread, maybe you just have bad tastes.

I'll admit I added a lot less than the other, but I found myself bored before I even began to type out a quick run down of the plot for Moan-more.

Best thing about Zootopia

>Read the rest of the thread

I did, unfortunately, and think i lost brain cells in the process

Nice bait. They literally pulled the 'Really sweet person is actually a maniac' trope from Frozen with Hans

>macbeth

It was hinted with Bellwether throughout the movie
Hans was a scooby doo situation

oh cool, a consolation prize. nice.

Zootopia had such great merchandising potential. they blew it so hard.Weird.

Moana had objectivel y better music but Zootopia was more intersting to watch and funny the whole movie.

i couldnt believe how progressive Zootopia was going to be.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3pF9owYlRI

The songs about gold were pretty good
>dig dig dig, dig diggity dig

Zootopia had interesting shit going on it.

Moana is what I would point to if someone asked me "show me a paint by numbers Disney movie"

Zootopia had a point to make, whether you agree or not with it or how it's still kind of odd that the animals retain too much of their mannerisms like slow sloths.
Moana was about, pray to your demigod and he might do shit for you. And, even though this girl is loved by the ocean it tries to drown her and shit.

it was hinted with Hans too desu

it's a bastardization of one of the very rare anime about animals, supposedly

yeah halfway through the movie

Quality taste user.

no in his song

Who? No seriously, what major Hawaiian/Polynesian voices spoke out about the movie?

Yes.
No.
..to answer both of your questions.

Only thing I didn't really care for about Zootopia was how unmemorable the main villain ended up being.

Not the same user but for starters it is easy to research. Ever heard of Google? No seriously, have you?:

smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/how-story-moana-and-maui-holds-against-cultural-truths-180961258/