Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uelNHERQic4
youtube.com/watch?v=7woFa2afqFE
mediafire.com/folder/cjjdiknzeieol,6jmo2c5q9vbll,jdmyib22aeqpm/shared
youtube.com/watch?v=pISzxdEgDCU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

A RING A DING SING DONG A DILLOOOOO

>insults you really convincingly

but tom bombadil is in three chapters, and he saves our friendos in the two chapters that don't take place entirely in his home.

>be me
>working a job with kids
>we're playing a team-building game where the kids have to try not to laugh
>none of my co-workers can make them crack
>for some reason, Tom pops into my head
>"HEY DOL MERRY DOL, RING A DONG DILLO
>HOP ALONG JOLLY TOM, TOM BOMABILLO
>kids completely lose their shit
>later on, they ask me what that weird song was, I say it's from Lord of the Rings
>none of them believe me

They all refused to believe that something so goofy and weird would be in something hey only knew from the movies.

>brainlets can't understand Tom's role in the book

Gee, I wonder who could be behind this post?

The Old Forest is the creepiest place in the book imo. I like rereading that chapter

>saves*

based farmer maggot

>ywn be get a blowjob from Goldberry, river daughter, the hottest bitch this side of the mountains

Pedo

He's a decent idea incredibly badly executed. He brings the book to a shuddering halt. He's fucking irredeemable.

t. under 25

Lay off the capeshit, attention spanlet. His section of the book is mystical and comfy and perfect.

This infuriating hippy freak gets naked with the hottest chick in Middle Earth.

that would be galadriela, not some random fucking river bitch with her golly nigger

His role is to pad the book...A book that already doesn't need padding.

He's been excluded from pretty much every adaptation of Lord of the Rings, because no one knows what the fuck to do with him. It's because he's completely out of left field, adds absolutely NOTHING to the narrative, and is the literary equivalent to watching paint dry

Correct
retarded

Galadriel is a dried up old hag. Goldberry is fresh and young.

doesn't he find some magic daggers and gives it to the hobbits? these magic daggers were the only thing that can kill the ring wraiths or wraith king or some crap

This is either glossed over, or entirely ignored in adaptations of Lord of the Rings. Merry stabs the Witch-King, but doesn't kill him It's Eowyn that delivers the killing blow, and she doesn't use one of the daggers given by Tom.

And frankly, I don't think the story suffers for it. It's not important. Because at no point do the hobbits kill or even greivously wound any of the other Nazgul with these daggers, because they're too fucking scared of them.

am i the only one that skipped the songs when reading the books?

Goldberry is probably older than Galadriel

Redpill someone who doesn't understand Tom Bombadil.
What makes him so important or whatever?

No. The songs are dumb. Tolkien didn't know how to write music. He wrote poetry, but said they were songs. He even said in one of his letters that he had "little musical knowledge".

By all means, skip the stupid songs

You may not like Tom but you have to admit the Barrow-downs stuff is great.

i read a few in the beginning but skipped them all soon after. they are so fucking lame, i just couldn't do it. i don't know why people defend the books so much, they are very dry and the only thing they have going for them is the world it takes place in. everything else is ehhh

i just don't know how the songs would go when i am reading it.

The only reasons hardcore nerds defend Bombadil is because he's super powerful. The One Ring has no effect on him whatsoever. He can even put it on if he wants. However, he doesn't view the ring as important, so the council vetoes trusting it with him, as Gandalf thinks he would idly misplace it someday.

But sensibly speaking, he has no importance to the story as a whole. And honestly speaking, he's kind of annoying as a character.

i don't know how i do it but when i was reading them there was some type of melody going on in my head while reading the words. not sure how that works.

And Tolkien may not have either. Like I said, he had very little musical knowledge. He knew he wanted his characters to sing some old fucking ballad to convey backstory (or "history" in Middle-Earth)

Sure, he may have had a tune in his head when writing it, but he wouldn't have had the foggiest of what notes to write down

chapters*, you mean. he ruins about four chapters.

FUCK TOM.

Bombadil was retarded but the descriptions of the lady of the lake were great.

yeah, good chapter to lull yourself to sleep

and then naked gay antics at the end

>muh anti-war character couldn't have been tackled in half a chapter instead of 2/5 of the opening section before the council

It really is just a chapter, both aggressive haters and insane fanboys should get the fuck over it is not really worth having strong emotions for either way

youtube.com/watch?v=uelNHERQic4

Listen to this series. They do it great. Some of the songs are great and very fitting. Some are silly because they are written by hobbits but when they are sung well in the audiobooks its all works great.

youtube.com/watch?v=7woFa2afqFE

thanks. i know what i am falling asleep to now

reminder these are the kinds of people who flipped out that tom wasn't in the movie

mediafire.com/folder/cjjdiknzeieol,6jmo2c5q9vbll,jdmyib22aeqpm/shared

All I remember is that the ring has no effect on him and his power seems attached to the Old Forest. He doesn't leave its borders but has crazy power within it.

>le songs are dumb meme
youtube.com/watch?v=pISzxdEgDCU

The hobbits get smashed with him on the way to the mines and wake up in a cave, naked the next day.

Basically, just showing that as huge and all encompassing the threat of Sauron is (even the dwarves send members to the council of Elrond our of concern, and they usually keep to
Themselves), there are still beings in middle earth that feel absolutely fine, and probably won’t be affected by Sauron’s evil simply because they’re so ancient and powerful. Tom has probably existed long before Sauron even forged the ring. Maybe even since before Middle Earth.

The ents kinda replace Tom for this narrative purpose, although they do actually get involved in the plot. Also, they don’t possess strange magic, power over wites, or anything like that.

i just never knew how to sing them in my head as i was reading.

Well said.

The ents are more like giant sloth though, the fact they're susceptible to fire and slow makes them easy to swarm with a bunch of orcs.
Tom could just fuck off to his winter cabin for a couple centuries and come back once the times have changed again.

pretty sure it was actually merry who did kill the witch king with the blade, eowyn was just being flashy, but it says in the book something like "the dagger was made to kill those that are dead"

This. Basically he's a trickster character. Laughter scoffs at all things imposing.

Basically
+ the fact that he doesn't seem to fit into Tolkien's mythology at all. He's the only real mystery, an incongruence.

epic
simply epic

anyone else have a hard time picturing the lay of the land sometimes

He had a face?

ha

I can never get a sense of where anything is supposed to be when reading that chapter confuses the shit out of me

I didn't read a single one of them, shit was already long enough as it was.

autism

>reading fantasy novels and not just reading sacred texts or epic poetry
fucking plebs

>A book that already doesn't need padding.
Tolkien said it was too short

I agree with both of you.

poor mans mirkwood desu

general problem a lot of people have with fantasy settings when not in a town or a castle

i imagine either mountains, rolling hills, or forests

Tom didn't exist. Not even within the context of the story. He is a fictional entity. His parts of the put were back-filled by Hobbits writing and re-writing the tome as a history book, making it more palatable to the local folk.

>t. actual lotr redpill

The real question is what was tom's tax policy