Thoughts on King Kong (1933)?

Thoughts on King Kong (1933)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8LFQun4HQj8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

funni munki

Peter Jackson's King Kong is superior in every single possible way.

It was groundbreaking for its time, though.

Fucking boring garbage movie.

Anything made before 1970 isn't worth watching.

Fucking great, the perfect adventure movie

I unironically prefer it to the Jackson version

Hitler's favorite movie of all time

Absolutely marvellous
Undoubtedly one of the greatest monster movies of all time

I thought the Jackson version took too long to get on with it, and personally I didn't like the cast either. Abit overemotional, too.
The Kong effects were pretty much perfect though, but I think the dinos and other creatures don't really hold up.

Same. But it was one of my favourite childhood films too so that may have something to do with it. I'd rather watch 33 over 05 anytime though, honestly.

I've heard this before, interesting. Tarantino has a Nazi reference the film in Basterds, too.

Indeed, incredible for the time. Hard to wrap your mind around it.

>but I think the dinos and other creatures don't really hold up.

What the fuck? The CGI is way better than in a movie like Jurassic World. Weta did a fantastic job. But I guess to each their own.

Fantastically entertaining picture. Without verbally jerking off about how groundbreaking it was, the effect work is obviously dated but it's quaint and it doesn't drag you out of the experience. The scope and epic nature of the story are fully realized and it's simply never dull.

I’ve never seen such a shitty bait

Your preference for 1933 version isn't nostalgia
I grew up with the 2005 version
I had no knowledge that the 1933 version existed until recently
The 1933 version is far superior
Pure kinography

I was watching Happy Days the other day, and it was the episode where tom bosley's war buddy wants to get married at his house because he is a negra. And to freak out the neighbors who ain't cool with it, he calls himself "NAT KING KONG". I had a laugh. It was a Happy Day

What I really hate about '33 is that it completely missed the point of the "Beauty and the Beast" adage. Ann growing a connection with Kong was the best thing that Jackson did with his version.

youtube.com/watch?v=8LFQun4HQj8

King Kong has som Hobbit tier effects.

Not really.

Beauty and the Beast can come from two perspectives. There is no law that both must come to an understanding. Its very common in stories for the man to come to ruin because of his pursuit of the unrequited love of a woman.

Personally, i believe the original version is more true and tragic.

I don't watch black and white movies.

You are so right
A man's obsession with a woman who is utterly repulsed by him, causes his destruction

I don't know...I just think '33 was too mean-spirited. '05 was more sad, I didn't find '33 very sad. The whole fight on the Empire State Building was much more effective in '05, especially when Ann looks into Kong's eyes one last time before he fell to his death was extremely effective imo.

Whoa, what if I was Kong all along...

Damn I need to rewatch the 2005 version. Haven't seen it since i saw it in the cinema.

(You)
(You)

I remember watching it with my grandfather as a kid and really enjoyed it.

He also let me watch Terminator and Star Wars that he recorded on VHS.

I agree, Kong is much more tragic when his attraction isn't reciprocated. He's a wild animal who doesn't understand what's happening, much more innocent.

Yeah, despite what I said, the airplanes scene is undoubtedly better in the Jackson version. But overall I still prefer the original.

You've been conditioned by cliches. Jackson writes trite melodrama.

The original Kong had the good foresight to keep it short and to the point.

>He's a wild animal who doesn't understand what's happening

Yeah, that's another thing Jackson changed. He actually gave Kong a decent amount of intelligence, and I personally like that.

King Kong is /ourguy/

the Skull Island sequences are racist

Doesn't hold up. It was only scary in a time where people believed in gorillas.

Second best monster movie, next to Gojira (1954). A great deal of fun, and I’m alwags surprised how much action and how many memorable set pieces the film fits in. From the moment they cross that wall to go after Anne, it’s a non-stop thrill ride.